Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

National TV Impressions

Posted by jkahn 
National TV Impressions
Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 10:25PM

Once every two years or so, the Faithful get a chance to show a national television audience what Lynah is like. Included in that audience, of couse, will be some potential future Cornell hockey players and their parents. So, BE LOUD. Give the team an ovation for every shift. Let the national audience hear LET'S GO RED continually. And, Ari, if they get quiet, get them going with the cowbell. Show the nation that nobody supports its team like the Faithful do.

Re: National TV Impressions
Posted by: kaaren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 08:02AM

I have to agree with what Jeff said in the last post.

Having attended the two games last weekend at Lynah, I truly believe that the Faithful played a HUGE part in distracting the goalies (sieves) which ultimately contributed to the third goal against Dartmouth resulting in the goaltender being pulled. I cannot recall attending a sporting event in my lifetime that can even come close to the electric atmosphere generated by the Faithful at a Big Red home game...including Super Bowls, Stanley Cup playoff games and Manchester United football matches...only to name a few.

The Faithful are BRUTALLY AWESOME and I'm thankful that I'm not either playing or cheering for the opposition. Watching a Big Red game at Lynah is like attending two events for the price of one...the hockey game and the Faithful. Keep up the great work!

A proud Townie,

Kaaren

Let's Go Red!!!

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 08:54AM

Seriously folks. Let's do it like we know how. Dustin won't know what hit him and the nation will get a little taste of Cornell hockey and Lynah at its best. Please, whoever you know, get them there early, at least by player introductions so it doesn't look embarassing.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 11:45AM

We have the best hockey fans in the country so let's make sure that everyone watching knows it. A Wisconsin fan on USCHO doubted that a crowd of only 3 or 4 thousand could be intimidating. I hope he hears and understands tonight.

Get there early so you can have your newspapers up and let everyone know what a BORING team Clarkson is. :-}

Posted by: RichH (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 12:39PM

I've been down on the student section the past few years for half of them not even showing up until mid-way through the first, except for Harvard games. Not to pull a "in my day," but in my day (mid-90s), A, B, and D would be nearly full by the time the teams came out for their first warm-up session, 40 minutes before game-time, and much taunting was enjoyed by all. These days, it's a band and a few stragglers who are in there at 6:15. Granted, as someone once pointed out the earlier start time makes it difficult for students to come home from class, eat, AND get to Lynah by 7. If I remember correctly, in the '90s, Friday games were at 7:30, and Saturday games were at 7.

Well, this is the big test. Even though it was announced at the rink last week several times, and been publicized online as being an 8 pm start, force of habit and a 7 pm time printed on the tickets should trick the less-than-rabid fans to get there when they usually do. So, There's no reason that Lynah shouldn't be packed and rocking by 7:30.

The flip side is that due to the later start time, and all the TV timeouts, don't expect the game to be over until nearly 11. Just as there's no excuse for the students to show up late, there's no excuse for the non-students to turn into beat-the-trafficers. As someone told me last week, "Townies Up" doesn't mean "Townies Go Home."

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 01:13PM

Naturally I agree with the spirit of your post. (I am usually one of those 6:15 stragglers.) But I suspect the reality is that there will still be big holes in the student section when the puck drops, even with the delayed starting time. It's sad, really, that the only time we can guarantee a full house at puckdrop is for the Harvard game.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 02:10PM

It really doesn't make sense when you consider how good the team has been the past few years. The fans today should be even more rabid than in the 90's, or "back in my day" the 80s'.

Posted by: Tom14850 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 02:32PM

I was born in Ithaca, and then went to Cornell, and then worked in Ithaca for a while - so I've been on both sides of the ice. I would have to say, actually, that the Townie side has always impressed me as much as the student side, especially in recent years. Although they don't do many cheers, they are on time and rarely do they leave early in significant numbers. They are loud on any goals and occasionally contribute to cheers started by the students.

The occasional cheering, timely and attentive type of fan is as impressive, or more impressive, than the sort-of-loud-if-other-people-are-loud-but-I'll-arrive-30-minutes-late type of fan, in my opinion.

I dunno. I'm a "back in my day" guy, too. The mid-90s (my day) seemed to see more students doing more cheers - and the cheers seemed more originial back then. Not just a bunch of "<team> SUCKS" cheers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2005 02:33PM by Tom14850.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 03:27PM

Some old timer who knows All-America Pete Shier '78 who's in town with his kids for the weekend and attending the game should tip off Adam Wodon (sidelines color tonight?) and maybe point out Shier ... see if Adam wants to do an interview during a timeout or between periods. Pete had some thoughtful comments on how much better conditioned players are today.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.clarityconnect.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 04:07PM

tom i completely agree. "blank- SUCKS!" is soooo over done. come on kids use your immagination. this seems like a good time to bring up the whole 'aaahhhh... see ya (asshole) you GOON!' not you LOSE, cheer. it realy bugs me. and i always try to educate the person who is next to me the correct cheer, plus a history of the term goon in hockey. have any of these kids seen Slap Shot (or youngblood for that matter), for crying out loud?

edit: i feel like a dolt. i guess i 'lose' the spelling bee.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2005 02:07PM by The Rancor.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 04:17PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

tom i completely agree. "blank- SUCKS!" is soooo over done. come on kids use your immagination. this seems like a good time to bring up the whole 'aaahhhh... see ya (asshole) you GOON!' not you LOOSE, cheer. it realy bugs me. and i always try to educate the person who is next to me the correct cheer, plus a history of the term goon in hockey. have any of these kids seen Slap Shot (or youngblood for that matter), for crying out loud?[/q]
you hit the nail on the head ... most of the students at games now have v. little hockey knowledge and/or sense of history. they could honestly careless what you or i attempt to tell them the cheers were like even five years ago. when i tried to explain the macho-man arm pumping b/c the macho-ugly-sweater-man was there on Saturday and one kid told me i was wrong. he was a sophomore and was not even at the game the night ugly sweater guy did the arm pumping guesture in 6-3 SLU(t) win. ignorance is bliss and in this case arrogance = ignorance.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: January 30, 2005 04:30PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

The Rancor Wrote:

tom i completely agree. "blank- SUCKS!" is soooo over done. come on kids use your immagination. this seems like a good time to bring up the whole 'aaahhhh... see ya (asshole) you GOON!' not you LOOSE, cheer. it realy bugs me. and i always try to educate the person who is next to me the correct cheer, plus a history of the term goon in hockey. have any of these kids seen Slap Shot (or youngblood for that matter), for crying out loud?[/Q]
you hit the nail on the head ... most of the students at games now have v. little hockey knowledge and/or sense of history. they could honestly careless what you or i attempt to tell them the cheers were like even five years ago. when i tried to explain the macho-man arm pumping b/c the macho-ugly-sweater-man was there on Saturday and one kid told me i was wrong. he was a sophomore and was not even at the game the night ugly sweater guy did the arm pumping guesture in 6-3 SLU(t) win. ignorance is bliss and in this case arrogance = ignorance.[/q]

What'd the kid say the reason for it was?

blank-SUCKS is a good anytime, fill in the silence cheer, along with LGR, so yeah it might seem over done. Goon/lose maybe depends on where you are, because in A/B the last 2 years it seems goon had won out, but it may be different on the other side of C.

And two things to keep in mind. Cheers are gonna change, no matter what, get used to it. And not everyone comes in a hockey expert, I knew crap about it my freshmen year.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 04:33PM

he didn't really have a reason just that i was wrong screwy ... oh well

Date: January 30, 2005 04:36PM

its real bad on the other side of C. also, its the 'sucks' part of the cheer that is best heard, and its not, shal we say, positive cheer (like LGR) and it might do some to degrade the other team, but liitle to pump up ours. example: yelling 'blank-sucks' during the powerplay when our boys are trying to get the cycle going- not so great.
where is 'kill topher kill?' and 'moulson's golden' 'we want a goal' or something not as lame as all that. eh.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 05:04PM

Those of us veteran fans stuck on the far side of C are doing our best to lead our less knowledgeable brethren, but I'm afraid it's mostly a losing battle. For the first half of the season, I tried my best to educate those around me of "goon" instead of "lose", but they continued to say "lose". So now, I say, fuck it. Besides, I usually have my hands full during the second period taunting the opposing goalie. (Though, I didn't really have it in me during the SLU game, which may have explained McKenna's excellent play. :-P )

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 06:31PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

tom i completely agree. "blank- SUCKS!" is soooo over done. come on kids use your immagination. this seems like a good time to bring up the whole 'aaahhhh... see ya (asshole) you GOON!' not you LOOSE, cheer. it realy bugs me. and i always try to educate the person who is next to me the correct cheer, plus a history of the term goon in hockey. have any of these kids seen Slap Shot (or youngblood for that matter), for crying out loud?[/q]

Like when Nick Linder '05, president of the SA, got ejected for yelling "See ya' asshole, you lose!"?
[q]
From [www.cornellsun.com]

"I'm a little surprised, actually, when profanity is used instead of creativity that the Lynah Faithful are known for. I think it's a real shame," said John Hayes '98

<snip>

Hayes also bemoaned the lack of hockey knowledge amongst many of the "Faithful": "You always hear people yelling, 'See you . . . you lose', which is clearly wrong if you know anything about hockey."
[/q]

Posted by: Erica (---.afip.osd.mil)
Date: February 01, 2005 02:26PM

[Q]not you LOOSE, cheer. it realy bugs me.[/Q]

You know what really bugs me? When perfectly educated folk don't know that loose is an adjective, like the opposite of tight, and lose is a verb, like the opposite of win. Everybody makes this mistake, even my grad school professors.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2005 02:37PM

[Q]Erica Wrote:

not you LOOSE, cheer. it realy bugs me.[/Q]
You know what really bugs me? When perfectly educated folk don't know that loose is an adjective, like the opposite of tight, and lose is a verb, like the opposite of win. Everybody makes this mistake, even my grad school professors. [/q]

Some mistakes aren't a result of ignorance. My problem is proof reading...I get so excited about something, I click "post" before my brain says "proof read" and then I end up editting a few times to get rid of typos. Some people just don't care, and when their brain says proof read, fixing typos is not really worth the added time to them.

Posted by: Rick '71 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 01, 2005 03:08PM

[Q]Erica Wrote:

You know what really bugs me? When perfectly educated folk don't know that loose is an adjective, like the opposite of tight, and lose is a verb, like the opposite of win. Everybody makes this mistake, even my grad school professors. [/q]

What a bunch of loosers!

:-P

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 01, 2005 04:41PM

I could care less... ;-)

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2005 05:46PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

My problem is proof reading...I end up editting a few times to get rid of typos[/q]

;-)

Date: February 02, 2005 02:09PM

i am one of those people who can't spell worth a damn. and i dont proof read. or spell check. this is not class work.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 02:41PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

i am one of those people who can't spell worth a damn. and i dont proof read. or spell check. this is not class work.
[/q]

It's a courtesy to others. Not everything graded is important, and not eveything ungraded is unimportant.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 10:05PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

[/q]" this is not class work."

You said it. laugh

"Eats, Shoots, and Leaves"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login