Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

added noise this weekend.....

Posted by pman78 
added noise this weekend.....
Posted by: pman78 (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: January 26, 2005 09:15PM

hi all-
i'm bringing my team of 11&12 year olds down to ithaca for a youth hockey tourney and we're attending both games this weekend.
I've been indoctronating these kids in all things Lynah. Especially the cheers. Their fave is... "I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref". (they're 11; refs are the enemy...) Don't be surprised if we get it started. Hope you'll help us out..
We're the North York Knights from Toronto. I played for CU from '75-'78 and am their coach....
Any helpful tips you want to pass along, please do....

pete shier '78

Re: added noise this weekend.....
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 09:44PM

Welcome, to a legend.

To give a little perspective on how well Pete played, he had 107 points in three seasons. Doug Murray had 84 points in four seasons.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 09:57PM

Pete:

Looking forward to seeing you and your team at Lynah this weekend. Sounds like your kids have one great coach. For some of the younger members on the forum, Pete was one of the best offensive defensemen ever to play for Cornell!!! He still holds a couple of Cornell all-time records for defensemen: Most goals in a game: 4 and Most goals in a career: 48. And he's a member of Cornell's 100 point club with 107. Great to watch!!

I gather your team will be playing the IYHA Pewees. Enjoy Ithaca and tournament.

Larry '72

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 10:05PM

[Q]pman78 Wrote:

I played for CU from '75-'78...

pete shier '78[/q]

Hey, Pete--that's like Gerald Ford having to tell us he was our President back in the 70s!

Seeing your name sent me right to the 2004-2005 media guide. How the game has changed since 77-78. That team hit double figures once every three games, and, in 27 games scored less than four goals only twice. When the Big Red gets to four now, we treat it like an amazing offensive display. I suppose having Pete's cannon at the point and a scoring machine like Lance Nethery--along with a true sniper like Roy Kerling--up front is a rare bit of good fortune, but there's got to be something systemic that's happened to change the game so much since then.

At the risk of embarrassing him, I should write here for the record that Peter holds the record for career goals by a defenseman (48), goals in a game by a defenseman (4), and is tied with Dan Lodboa for goals by a defenseman in a season (24)--the latter two records set in his All-America 77-78 season.

Always nice to see you stop by here, Pete. Have a great time this weekend with your kids, and let's hope you get two terrific games--both Cornell wins--to give the kids something exciting to remember. :-)

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: January 26, 2005 10:26PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Welcome, to a legend.

To give a little perspective on how well Pete played, he had 107 points in three seasons. Doug Murray had 84 points in four seasons.[/q]

Yeah, but he couldn't have been that good cuz he was outscored by some fellow named Nethery. :-D :-D :-D

Date: January 26, 2005 10:50PM

wow, thanks for all the kind words...i'll remember to keep coming back here when i'm having an off day!
The game certainly has changed Al- much tighter checking now and when i watch the speed the guys have and the and the power they hit with I'm very glad i played a few years ago.
We didn't work as hard at conditioning ( i recall jim vaughn in the weight room, sipping on a beer watching dave ambrosia pump like his 25th bench press and ask...."hey Amby, can't you get hurt lifting all that metal?";) or do it all year round like now....more at stake after college for sure ($$$)
The game is not as 'free wheeling' which might cause some to say not as exciting; i think the talent level at which they play is remarkable....i have a ton of respect for the guys playing now and it's just as exciting, just different exciting.

Looking forward to seeing Ithaca & the Big Red again and i know the parents and kids I'm bringing are really excited...not sure how we'll do in the tourney but that's only half the point in coming down....

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: January 27, 2005 12:02AM

Let me chime in as another who enjoyed watching you play in the '70s. You guys turned someone whose sports were always on grass and asphalt into an avid fan of Big Red hockey.

Good luck to you and your team, and I hope all enjoy a great weekend for the Red.

BTW, do you teach the little guys that trick of clearing the puck from your defensive zone by slapping it all the way around the boards and out the other side? Always loved that one.

Date: January 30, 2005 09:59PM

Just returned home from an unbelievable weekend in Ithaca....watched the Big Red win two important games, took my 11 year old hockey team on a tour of the dressing room, weight room and Lynah (play by play done by none other than Coach Mike who wowed the kids with his 'gotta get good grades to play here' speech!), did the campus tour, spent a bundle at the campus store and to top it off we WON the Ithaca Youth Hockey tourney against teams that were a year older than us!....pretty satisfying....(When we crossed the border back into Canada, Mr. Customs Man asked if we had anything to declare....."Just this!" cried one of the kids, holding the trophy up...!! Priceless...)

When you're right in the middle of something you sometimes don't realize how special it is. Every single one of the parents we brought down who witnessed the games were BLOWN AWAY by the spirit, the electricity, the support and the overall atmopsphere of Lynah. The fan support you guys provide is unmatched anywhere. Keep it up.....if there's a seventh man award in hockey you guys deserve it!

BTW- Our team colors are blue, black amd white. In honor of 'The Big Red', the kids voted to change our nickname to 'The Big Blue' for the remainder of the year!!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 10:15PM

[Q]pman78 Wrote:

Just returned home from an unbelievable weekend in Ithaca....watched the Big Red win two important games, took my 11 year old hockey team on a tour of the dressing room, weight room and Lynah (play by play done by none other than Coach Mike who wowed the kids with his 'gotta get good grades to play here' speech!), did the campus tour, spent a bundle at the campus store and to top it off we WON the Ithaca Youth Hockey tourney against teams that were a year older than us!....pretty satisfying....(When we crossed the border back into Canada, Mr. Customs Man asked if we had anything to declare....."Just this!" cried one of the kids, holding the trophy up...!! Priceless...)
[/q]
Sounds like a terrific--and successful!--time for you and your kids, Pete. Really glad the weekend was a such a success--for both the Big Red and the "Big Blue."

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 10:30PM

Just think, if one of those kids eventually grows up to play for the Red...I'm happy you and the kids enjoyed the trip, and that you won the tournament. I'm also happy we could help to provide you with such a great trip.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 11:24PM

[Q]pman78 Wrote:

(play by play done by none other than Coach Mike who wowed the kids with his 'gotta get good grades to play here' speech!)[/q]

Wink wink ;-)

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: January 31, 2005 12:06PM

Just to affirm what a rare and special place Lynah is, check out the following thread at uscho:

[board.uscho.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login