Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-RPI Postgame Thread

Posted by Greg Berge 
Cornell-RPI Postgame Thread
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:13PM

Great win and a very important 4 point weekend puts Cornell second in league in percentage.

Re: Cornell-RPI Postgame Thread
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:17PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Great win and a very important 4 point weekend puts Cornell second in league in percentage.[/q]

Very important road four point weekend. It's nice to cap an extended period away from Lynah with the first road sweep in nearly a year. They won't have to go on the road for more than two straight again in the regular season.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:18PM

Once again we start off tentative and take some bad penalties. Just once this year I'd like to see us come out guns blazing. But the PK does it's magic and we come out with a decent win.

Was it me, or did it seem like the Moulson-Bitz-Hynes line was all but invisible. You hardly heard their names called all night on the RPI broadcast.

Posted by: kaaren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:20PM

I'm looking forward to the two games next weekend at Lynah. By then it'll have been 48 days since the Big Red played at home where they're 7-0-0. Welcome home guys...and thanks for two great games this weekend!:-)

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:22PM

[Q]kaaren Wrote:

I'm looking forward to the two games next weekend at Lynah. By then it'll have been 48 days since the Big Red played at home where they're 7-0-0. Welcome home guys...and thanks for two great games this weekend! [/q]
... two very tough games

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:25PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
Was it me, or did it seem like the Moulson-Bitz-Hynes line was all but invisible. You hardly heard their names called all night on the RPI broadcast.
[/q]
Or they just could have mangled the pronunciation so badly that it was beyond recognition ;)

Date: January 15, 2005 09:27PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

[... two very tough games[/q]

Agreed. Dartmouth is looking very scary again.

Date: January 15, 2005 09:29PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Or they just could have mangled the pronunciation so badly that it was beyond recognition
[/q]

They should know how to pronounce Moulson in Troy...even with the extra "u" ;-)

Posted by: min (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:31PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Great win and a very important 4 point weekend puts Cornell second in league in percentage.[/q]

cornell is actually third (0.75). vermont is second with 0.80. colgate leads the league with 0.90.

Date: January 15, 2005 09:35PM

[Q]min Wrote:

Greg Berge Wrote:

Great win and a very important 4 point weekend puts Cornell second in league in percentage.[/Q]
cornell is actually third (0.75). vermont is second with 0.80. colgate leads the league with 0.90.[/q]

Vermont is losing to Dartmouth, 5-2, with 6 minutes to go . Assuming they do not make a comeback, Cornell will be 2nd.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2005 09:36PM by Greg Berge.

Date: January 15, 2005 09:37PM

Colgate 1-0 over Union now a final.

Date: January 15, 2005 09:39PM

Now all scores are finals:

Final:
Gate 1, Union 0
Cornell 5, RPI 0
SLU 7, Clarkson 2
Dartmouth 5, Vermont 2
-------
UNH 8, Yale 2

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:50PM

I was listening to the RPI announcers on a radio after the Jets debacle around mid 2nd period, I believe, and let me tell you they were just making stuff up. They would say players were on the ice when no one was. They would say the puck was cleared around the corner when it was put through the middle. They would say Cornell was big and wearing RPI down when in reality, there was no real big hitting and grinding until late in the 2nd. They said RPI had the majority of the play in the 1st and then admitted that a neutral observer would say it was even when in fact Cornell controlled play in the first even though RPI had a 5x3. I have got to give them a break though, RPI is a really bad team this year and the results have got to be wearing down and/or killing their fan base.

Posted by: min (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:51PM

i see. vermont's loss to dartmouth will drop them to third (0.727) in league percentage.

Date: January 15, 2005 09:51PM

Generally speaking, those are pretty good announcers.

Date: January 15, 2005 09:52PM

wow. I'm shocked. Their descriptions hardly ever matched what was actually taking place.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:59PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Generally speaking, those are pretty good announcers.[/q]

Jayson and Kurt are good announcers. These guys ... not so much.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: January 15, 2005 10:00PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Generally speaking, those are pretty good announcers.[/q]
they might be "good" ... but "good" doesn't = competent :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2005 10:01PM by ben03.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:02PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Greg Berge Wrote:

Generally speaking, those are pretty good announcers.[/Q]
Jayson and Kurt are good announcers. These guys ... not so much.[/q]

So were these announcers different than the announcers Greg is talking about? I was listening to 91.1 FM. Maybe that's the benefit of radio...not many people can critique the accuracy of the product.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.union.edu)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:06PM

RPI is horrible and perhaps even worse than Yale. If Cornell put their foot on the gas the whole game, it would have easily been 10-0. Next weekend will be the second toughest weekend of the season after Colgate. I'm starting to get a bit concerned about Cam Abbott as he has missed three straight games now. Cornell is taking more penalties this season than I can ever remember. Part of it is horrible officiating but a fair amount of the calls are legit. All the freshmen are playing very well.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:07PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
[/q]
I believe the Stars of the game according to the CU broadcast were:
3. Bitz
2. McKee
1. Hynes

So it sounds like that line had an impact, especially when you consider that Bitz and Hynes were the only 2 players tonight to get more than one point.

Posted by: FANFAN (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:17PM

Great Game!!

Date: January 15, 2005 10:23PM

Wow, I need to clear my vision and proof read...sorry

Completely dominating performance by the Big Red as was dictated by the score. The entire team looked good, especially McKee. About the first line: Bitz looked better, Hynes looked great. He put some great moves on tonight and his size made the moves look that much more impressive. Sawada was hitting all night and no, he's not Greg Hornby. He is going to be amazing. Another weak charging call on Sawada tonight. Iggy, Pegs, Scott were all buzzing. Krantz looked good again.

The first penalty, cross checking on O'Byrne, was pretty questionable (but it's O'Byrne so I'm sure the refs were staring at him for the entire first minute) but the second penalty, holding on Gleed (?) was pretty obvious. During the second period when we had three straight penalties, the score board worker had no idea what to do since there are only two spaces for penalties so when Pokulok entered the crowded box, there were eight seconds left on the Downs penalty (the first of the three). Instead, the score board didn't start counting the Pokulok penalty until Downs got out of the box and thus we were a man down for an extra eight seconds. Luckily, it didn't hurt us. The italics covers a rule that I now know...sloppy...

The Cornell fans were much louder than last night. Someone started the "it's Saturday night and you can't score" cheer...awesome because I was sitting right near five RPI hockey groupies that confrimed they would definitely not allow a shutout tonight. We have much better groupies...the benefits of a big school. ;-)

The RPI pep band was slow and morbid right from the warmups and the RPI fans responded in kind. So sad.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2005 10:43PM by atb9.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:33PM

After all these years of going to RPI hockey games, I still don't understand why they put the away fans behind the home goal for two periods.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:33PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:
During the second period when we had three straight penalties, the score board worker had no idea what to do since there are only two spaces for penalties so when Pokulok entered the crowded box, there were eight seconds left on the Downs penalty (the first of the three). Instead, the score board didn't start counting the Pokulok penalty until Downs got out of the box and thus we were a man down for an extra eight seconds. Luckily, it didn't hurt us.[/q]That's the way it works when you have three guys in the box at once.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:35PM

My bad.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:37PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

After all these years of going to RPI hockey games, I still don't understand why they put the away fans behind the home goal for two periods.[/q]

Because those are the most dangerous seats in the ECAC.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:41PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:

After all these years of going to RPI hockey games, I still don't understand why they put the away fans behind the home goal for two periods.[/Q]
Because those are the most dangerous seats in the ECAC. [/q]

Because the net doesn't go to the ceiling?

Alford and Martin both got it good from the Faithful tonight.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:57PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Chris '03 Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:

After all these years of going to RPI hockey games, I still don't understand why they put the away fans behind the home goal for two periods.[/Q]
Because those are the most dangerous seats in the ECAC. [/Q]
Because the net doesn't go to the ceiling?

Alford and Martin both got it good from the Faithful tonight.[/q]

I don't recall there even being being a net. I just remeber thinking how incredibly easy it would be for a puck to fly into that section very quickly.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:06PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:... I'm starting to get a bit concerned about Cam Abbott as he has missed three straight games now. Cornell is taking more penalties this season than I can ever remember. Part of it is horrible officiating but a fair amount of the calls are legit. All the freshmen are playing very well. [/q]

How is the ratio of Cornell-to-opponent penalties? If penalties are up for both sides, then it's the officiating or the rulesmakers. Plus given how well we do both on PK and on PP, maybe we'd be better off if the game was half PP and half PK. (Except maybe against really good teams?)

Date: January 15, 2005 11:18PM

What's it going to take for McKee to get an ECAC (how about USCHO) player of the week award? Assuming they're half BS and half stats-based, and maybe a little bit about talent, McKee at least deserves something for the stats part. One goal allowed in two games this weekend, four total in the last four games, GAA down to 1.62 and best in the nation, fifth in save % (so while he's not seeing a lot of shots, he's stopping 93% of the ones he does see).

Plus his skills are going to be all the more precious with Troy Davenport apparently having left the team and Cornell U.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.n-nypop03.stsn.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 12:26AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
[/Q]
I believe the Stars of the game according to the CU broadcast were:
3. Bitz
2. McKee
1. Hynes

So it sounds like that line had an impact, especially when you consider that Bitz and Hynes were the only 2 players tonight to get more than one point.
[/q]

McKee is the only one of those three I had for three stars. I would have 1. McKee 2. Cook 3. Pegoraro. By the way, this is calgARI '07, not Larry72 (Looks like CalgARI '07 has been using my computer again!! - Larry72)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2005 07:42PM by Larry72.

Date: January 16, 2005 12:32AM

... sure it is ;-)

Date: January 16, 2005 02:26AM

This season is looking eerily like 2002 so far (see other thread).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2005 02:27AM by Greg Berge.

Posted by: A-19 (---.echryh01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 07:02PM

i enjoyed sitting behind the rpi goal for 2 periods, i'm not sure the goaltenders enjoyed playing in front of us though

-mike

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 12:36PM

[q]How is the ratio of Cornell-to-opponent penalties? [/q]According to collegehockeystats.com Cornell has been whistled 131 times for 295 minutes vs. 116 and 277 on the other side. That' means Cornell has gotten about one more penalty call per game than thei opponents. Power plays are pretty consistent with these numbers: 91 for Cornell and 109 for the enemy. The Red are clearly being called for more penalties this season, though the numbers don't say why.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 12:38PM

[q] What's it going to take for McKee to get an ECAC (how about USCHO) player of the week award?[/q]These awards depend on what other guys did any given week and I haven't looked this time. But if I were voting I probably wouldn't give McKee too much credit for shutting out a bad RPI team. Not that it's not still an accomplishment but...

Date: January 17, 2005 01:13PM

(obligatory defense of McKee for an award this week :-P )

sure RPI was inept on the power play but they had two 5 on 3's, including one that was extended for eight seconds (I'm learning...). They may have had only 14 shots (I blame it on the power play--too much passing and staying stationary in the umbrella formation) but McKee had a number of quality saves.

Date: January 17, 2005 01:56PM

One reason I said POTW awards are oftens stats-based is if you hold two more or less inept opponents to a total of one goal is that it still makes a light go off in the dim recesses of some POTW judge even if say holding say a BC to three earned goals is as tough or tougher. And sometimes I think the judges may quietly factor in the previous week's performance. And/or the whole year's performance. Somebody sitting in Albany or USCHO Central might take a gander at the stats, see McKee has that 1.62 nation-leading GAA rating, be top five in save percentage which means something too, and has no recognition to show for it.

Date: January 17, 2005 10:07PM

There we go...

McKee gets Goalie of the Week

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 10:33PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

There we go...

McKee gets Goalie of the Week[/q]
Hahahaha... classic laugh

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 10:37PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:
Maybe that's the benefit of radio...not many people can critique the accuracy of the product.[/q]

Why should Jayson Blair be the only one that gets to make stuff up and pretend it's journalism?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2005 01:42PM

The net was added a few seasons ago. I don't fear for my life any more, but it is an eyesore to look through.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login