Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Union Postgame Thread

Posted by jtwcornell91 
Cornell-Union Postgame Thread
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:42PM

Ari, you may be missing DuPree tomorrow night. The ref at RPI Friday was Dan Murphy. help

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Cornell-Union Postgame Thread
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.union.edu)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:45PM

Brought this over from the game thread.
Just got back from the game. Unbelievable win. Union is an extremely hard working team and they outworked Cornell for the first two periods. Cornell played the third period and overtime like it was the playoffs, battling extremely hard and matching Union's work ethic. Other than work ethic, Union has very little skill and no size whatsoever. Mayotte played unbelievable to the point where it was gonna take a perfect shot to beat him, and Cornell had two perfect shots tonight. Great win. Cornell superior to Union in almost every way, but they worked soooo hard. Best game of the season for Krantz. Sawada was unbelievable but Dupree thought he was reffing a women's game so he called every clean check. Unbelievable. Officiating is a joke. It was very much a playoff-like game tonight and Cornell battled harder as the game progressed. Great signs in this win.
The only negative is Byron Bitz who was just brutal. Schafer finally took him off the powerplay in the second period after countless mistakes and the powerplay responded right away with their goal. He needs to be moved to the wing on a checking line. He is getting knocked down way too much for a player his size and struggling mightily with the puck.

My 3 Stars: 1. Iggulden 2. Sawada 3. Krantz
Cook, Gleed, O'Byrne, Pegoraro all had awesome games as well.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:50PM

[Q]It may be less than 63:08 because we had a delayed powerplay for a while in the second period and McKee may have been out for a few seconds.[/Q]

I think McKee still gets credit for that time, since if we accidentally dunk into the empty net, it counts against him.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:51PM

Gametracker had the stars as Iggulden, McKee, and (Union gets credit too) Mayotte in goal.

Date: January 14, 2005 09:55PM

I think point was that if Mckee plays ~63 minutes, that makes up for the games when he's pulled at 59:05 and we lose 2-1, which is really a bit worse than 1.0000 for the game.

I'm unsure how it counts with the goalie pulled in the middle. At the end of the game, I believe an empty net goal counts as a Team Against goal, and I thought if the goalie is pulled in the middle of the game, once he's off the ice (never clear on when the stopwatch clicks), he's not credited for say 20 seconds of 6-5.

But this is all real minor. We';re just arguing because we're online, instead of in Union as we should be and shivering outside the rink right now as we try to decide what bar to head to.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 10:03PM

Just got back from the game...Ari is right, Bitz was brutal and looked out of shape. I haven't looked at the game thread yet but I'm guessing Ari was complaining about Dupree. The elbowing call on Sawada was piss poor and Dupree blew the whistle twice by my count too quickly on McKee. The too many men on the ice call was good, both times, IMO, but I can't think of many other calls I agreed with. Not only was Dupree horrible but the linesman, Sylvester, was calling a lot tonight. Dude, stop trying to gain attention. He was kicking guys out of the faceoff for no reason and he called the penalty on the break away, which I thought was questionable, because the call came after the Union player released the puck. The guy wasn't even pulled down and Dupree never moved his arm.

We should have lost the game with a few minutes left in the game when Union tried to roof the puck on a wide open net but completely missed the cage. We should have lost or tied the game after the power play in OT, but we fought hard and Iggy completely embarrassed Mayotte.

Union worked hard and their passing was crisp, overall. I was impressed. They are much better than last year. The fans on the other hand still suck (read: good and loud when called upon but annoying...which is good). I was in the middle of the Union section of the west side bleechers. Those cow bells are killer...this one guy that looked like he was in a coma just kept shaking the damn thing. You shouldn't be allowed to cheer like that...maybe if he was mute...

Time to celebrate!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2005 11:52PM by atb9.

Date: January 14, 2005 10:04PM

Cornell game story on bigred.com [ [cornellbigred.collegesports.com] ] says Cornell's first goal snapped a scoreless streak of 123:35. I forgot the scoring against Brown was done early.

Ouch!

Date: January 14, 2005 10:06PM

It also snapped a huge Mayotte shutout streak...something like 160 minutes

Posted by: Avash (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 10:09PM

(Very) Random facts:

Moulson's power play goal in the second period was the first Cornell goal since Pegoraro's PPG at Brown, a span of 123 minutes and 35 seconds.

The last time Cornell won an ECAC regular season game in overtime was Feb 2 2001, a 2-1 win at Brown. Since that date, Cornell had played 14 ECAC regular season OT games without a win until tonight.

The game-winner was only Iggulden's second career goal in ECAC play.

Cornell, with 2 goals allowed in the last two games combined, still came close to winning neither. The last time the Red allowed one goal in each of two consecutive games but did not win either game was 2/10/01 (1-0 loss @ Yale) and 2/16/01 (1-1 tie vs. Dartmouth).

Cornell has allowed the first goal of the game in 3 straight games.

The last time Cornell trailed after one period away from Lynah Rink and ended up winning the game was at the Everblades last year, on 12/28/03. Ohio State led 1-0 after the 1st period, but (ironically) Mike Iggulden led the comeback for a 4-3 win (in overtime). The last time it happened in an ECAC road game was 1/18/03, as Cornell turned a 0-1 deficit at the first intermission into a 3-2 win at Rensselaer.

Date: January 14, 2005 10:10PM

If we say the referees were terrible and we cite mostly calls that went against Cornell, a neutral observer might say the thing was off wasn't the officiating but the perspective of the person making the comment.

But I wasn't there. It is possible the officials sucked in one direction more than the other.

The 29-0 team wasn't dominant every game. They had their share of lucky breaks, including OT wins.

Date: January 14, 2005 10:12PM

And for one more random fact: When was Cornell's last SHG to win an OT game? Was it in Lynah or maybe on Beebe Lake?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 10:18PM

Not saying it hasn't happened over the period, but I do not recall us winning on an o.t. shorty in the entire time I have followed them (1981-82).

Date: January 14, 2005 10:48PM

Couldn't find it anywhere but Pegoraro almost cost us a goal at the beginning of the game. He was coming back on the back check on a three on three and went after the guy with the puck instead of covering the slot. The puck was dropped to a wide open slot and McKee came up with a huge save to keep it 0-0.

Along with the Beal give away at the end, the two too many men on the ice calls, and Bitz looking lost, these were the biggest mental errors I saw tonight.

Another Sylvester error I remember was a no offsides call on a cross ice pass by Union in the first period on a three on two. The guy was a good foot inside the zone when the puck crossed the line and he received the puck about a foot and a half inside of the zone and it created a quality scoring chance. Pucks generally travel faster than a player.

The Union fans were upset with the officiating as well but I generally thought Union was cheating much more than us. I can't blame them though with our size advantage.

I think Ari is being tough with no size, no skill. Union does look small, but they have looked even smaller in the past and they actually have some speed this year. In addition, Union made a lot of nice, two-line passes and cross ice passes that opened the game up.

I hope it doesn't get dirty tomorrow.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 11:18PM

Ken Schott has a great description of Iggy's goal in his game write-up on USCHO. Also some great quotes.

[Q] "The guy's eight feet tall," said Mayotte..."A guy with normal-length reach, I pretty much have. I was sliding over, and I didn't get enough time to fully extend. He had a long enough reach to tuck it in on me." [/Q]
[www.uscho.com]

Date: January 14, 2005 11:34PM

A ton of almost goals for Union tonight. Officiating was brutal both ways, with Cornell getting the shorter end on both Sawada calls (both were clean checks). The too many men calls were both legit.

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 11:55PM

onion played well tonight, i was impressed overall. outworked in the beginning of the first but then seemed to outhustle cornell at times but they either had almost goal or very weak shots, mostly very weak shots i thought. mckee came up big a few times. as mentioned, dupree was aweful. i hope not all games this year are being officiated like this one. and it was both ways, a few phantom calls including the elbowing and the tripping. he didnt raise his hand on the charging call until he saw that the onion player was not getting up. the too many men calls were good. he also missed calls both ways. main thing was that he would allow something to go on most of the game and then decide to call a penalty on it - not very consistent.

overall the team worked hard but after the first 10 minutes of the first seemed to not be as aggressive until the end of the game. plenty of shots (i think the official shot count was WAY off). a few miscommunications on defense with no one covering a trailer or 2 people covering the same guy on a break but mckee was there to stop any advances.

unfortunately cant make the game tomorrow so this will likely be my only game this year - and what a game it was. a shorty to win it in OT. crazy.

LGR!
also, as of right now, 'gate and havhahd in the top ten in the computers with cornell tied at 11. couple games not done yet (cc and und).

Date: January 15, 2005 12:05AM

CC won 2-1. :-D

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2005 12:15AM

It's definitely scored as empty net when the goalie makes it to the bench and a skater comes on, but I've never seen a box score when it's for less than 7 or 8 seconds. If it's less, they just don't bother to count it. If the goalie's on the bench and the puck goes in the net, it's not counted against the goalie.

Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 12:40AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

And for one more random fact: When was Cornell's last SHG to win an OT game? Was it in Lynah or maybe on Beebe Lake? [/q]

Not sure it was the last, but in Jan. '71 Jim Higgs scored shorthanded to beat Harvard at Lynah. Kevin Pettit had tied the game after we pulled our goalie (Cropper). The win kept a four-year home winning streak alive.

Date: January 15, 2005 12:58AM

Care to share your thoughts, Age? :-D You were sitting closer to the home goal (with a lot less Union fans ;-) ) than me and were higher up than Ari. You probably had a great view of all of the big Sawada hits...

Apparently the Union radio guys said Sawada took 5 or 6 strides before charging the Union player during the first period, and they were calling for a five minute major. And from my awkward angle, it looked like a forearm shiver, and not an elbow, to the sternum, not the head, during the third period.

Yeah, I'm still worked up by the game and can't sleep.

Date: January 15, 2005 03:29AM

I'm sure the Union radio guys wanted a major because the player was down on the ice. This is not the first time we have seen a player down on the ice after a big hit and then they cruise off the ice with no problem after a couple minutes. The guy staying down at Vermont dictated the DQ for Moulson rather than the warranted game misconduct. I watched Sawada the whole way in, seeing him line up the hit and he absolutely did take five or six strides, but they were in the neutral zone. Dupree called him for charging because he was moving so fast into the hit and the player had his head down. The second penalty was also a totally clean check from where I was sitting.

Date: January 15, 2005 08:14AM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

And for one more random fact: When was Cornell's last SHG to win an OT game? Was it in Lynah or maybe on Beebe Lake? [/Q]
Not sure it was the last, but in Jan. '71 Jim Higgs scored shorthanded to beat Harvard at Lynah. Kevin Pettit had tied the game after we pulled our goalie (Cropper). The win kept a four-year home winning streak alive.[/q]

Could it be 33 years since our last SH OT winning goal? Wasn't that a fluke goal from outside the blue line?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:11AM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

And for one more random fact: When was Cornell's last SHG to win an OT game? Was it in Lynah or maybe on Beebe Lake? [/Q]
Not sure it was the last, but in Jan. '71 Jim Higgs scored shorthanded to beat Harvard at Lynah. Kevin Pettit had tied the game after we pulled our goalie (Cropper). The win kept a four-year home winning streak alive.[/q]
Greg's got the box score on TBRW. Great Harvard team--Joe Cavanaugh, Corkery, Hynes, etc.--that upset BU to win the ECACs.

Posted by: red (---.union.edu)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:07AM

yea that hit was totally legit. it took the ref about 5 seconds to call it, after he saw the union player was hurt. totally bullshit.

Posted by: Steve M (4.29.49.---)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:11AM

More than 3 strides before a check is charging. It sounds like the correct call was made, a 2 min. penalty, rather than the major the Union announcers were calling for. Unless the rules have changed, 5 min. majors are only for hitting from behind, some boarding penalties, spearingand high sticking if it draws blood. I've never heard of a 5 min. charging penalty.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2005 11:12AM by Steve M.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:38AM

The first hit was definitely clean. They were skating in opposite directions behind the goal and Sawada had to turn to his right to make the hit along the boards. If he turned, it shouldn't be charging, right? The second hit also looked clean to me. His arm might have been up a bit, but I don't think he led with his elbow.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:46AM

[Q]Steve M Wrote:

I've never heard of a 5 min. charging penalty.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/15/05 11:12AM by Steve M.[/q]

Like other penalties, a vicious charge will get 5. It's not terribly common, but with the seemingly increased frequency of majors this season, it'll probably pop up more often. It happened as recently as october in D1:
"The Minutemen's difficulties included a five-minute major charging call on Zech Klann in the first period that resulted in two Clarkson goals."

[www.uscho.com]

Date: January 15, 2005 11:50AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

If we say the referees were terrible and we cite mostly calls that went against Cornell, a neutral observer might say the thing was off wasn't the officiating but the perspective of the person making the comment.

But I wasn't there. It is possible the officials sucked in one direction more than the other.

The 29-0 team wasn't dominant every game. They had their share of lucky breaks, including OT wins. [/q]

You're right. But on the same hand, being a Cornell fan, I remember the Cornell plays much more vividly where as on the Union plays I only remember groaning and agreeing with my father, who is a Union graduate. It's embarrassing that I can't remember Union examples...

Good thing there are no neutral observers on this board... ;-)

Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:51AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

jkahn Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Not sure it was the last, but in Jan. '71 Jim Higgs scored shorthanded to beat Harvard at Lynah. Kevin Pettit had tied the game after we pulled our goalie (Cropper). The win kept a four-year home winning streak alive.[/Q]
Could it be 33 years since our last SH OT winning goal? Wasn't that a fluke goal from outside the blue line?[/q]
My recollection (which for some reason seems incredibly clear for this game) would have him at somewhere near the top edge of the face-off circle to Bruce Durno's left. Also, in those days, overtime was ten minutes and you switched sides for overtime, so the goal was at the west end. Pettit's tying goal, a deflection of a Ron Simpson slapshot, was at the east end. Giles Threadgold was one of the refs and the one who called the penalty in overtime. That Harvard team had two of the best college hockey lines I've ever seen - Owen-Cavanaugh-DiMichele and Corkery-Hynes-McManama.

Date: January 15, 2005 12:30PM

The officials appear to be under pressure to stop the clutching and grabbing that leads to dull, low-scoring games such as last year's NCAA championship game. Cornell's defensive mindset may be translated by some officials into clutching and grabbing or obstruction even when (as likely) it's clean positional hockey. And it's also human nature to be more likely to call a charge on somebody who's 6-foot-4 than than someone who's 5-foot-10.

But any penalty in OT, especially when it's down to a 5-minute overtime, really skews the game. OTOH if the ref thinks it's blatant, it has to be called. I assume there is video of every game the league officials can review, even if we can't get it streamed to our PCs. Which kind of begs the question if there is video, no matter how crappy, wouldn't you want it streamed to your PC? I'm thinking this woiuld be a good project for eLynah road warriors. In exchange for about four free admissions, you get to lug a bunch of gear to, say, Canton, NY, bring up a working broadband connection, keep it up (more than we can say for Real Networks last night), and try not to cheer so hard you make the camera shake. What a deal.

Date: January 15, 2005 12:52PM

Clutching and grabbing is something the Union players did to perfection. The officials are failing miserably to stop obstruction after the original crackdown. They only call physical contact now.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 02:11PM

[Q]Steve M Wrote: More than 3 strides before a check is charging. It sounds like the correct call was made, a 2 min. penalty, rather than the major the Union announcers were calling for. Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/15/05 11:12AM by Steve M.[/q]True, but only if you're skating right up to the check. If you stop and glide into the man how can you call it? After all, it always takes more than three strides to get up ice. Now, I wasn't there and didn't see if he stopped skating before the check, but if he didn't then five is too many.

Date: January 15, 2005 04:14PM

Sawada took his strides at center ice and gliding through the offensive zone before hammering the Union player. It was not a charge.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 06:11PM

Credit where it's due. [cornellbigred.collegesports.com] has an archive of the audio, which promptly cuts out with about 11 mins to go in regulation. That's truth in advertising. ;-)

Posted by: Steve M (4.29.49.---)
Date: January 16, 2005 10:52AM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

Steve M Wrote:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/15/05 11:12AM by Steve M.[/Q]
Like other penalties, a vicious charge will get 5. It's not terribly common, but with the seemingly increased frequency of majors this season, it'll probably pop up more often. It happened as recently as october in D1:
"The Minutemen's difficulties included a five-minute major charging call on Zech Klann in the first period that resulted in two Clarkson goals."

[/q]

I stand corrected, but I would be surprised if this isn't a relatively new thing. In my 30+ years of following hockey, I never saw a 5 min. charging. I guess I need to read more recaps of ECAC games.

:-P

Date: January 16, 2005 01:39PM

I think the possibility of 5 mins for charging gives the ref an option that he can exercise only rarely.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 03:20PM

I can't cite a rule (and I'm too lazy to look) by I expect anytime the ref thinks that there is intent to injure he can call a major.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 05:16PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
I can't cite a rule (and I'm too lazy to look) by I expect anytime the ref thinks that there is intent to injure he can call a major.[/q]A:From the summary of penalties page w/in the NCAA Men's Rules states: "The referee has the discretion to call a minor or a major for the following penalties: Boarding, Charging, Charging the Goalkeeper, Clipping, Cross checking, Elbowing, Hitting after the whistle, Hitting from behind, Kneeing, and Slashing."

*notice that charging is listed as a discretionary minor/major*

[Q]Disqualification Penalties

SECTION 5. a. A disqualification penalty, consisting of suspension for the remainder of the game plus a major penalty, shall be assessed to any player who fights, attempts to injure an opponent or commits other serious penalties as outlined in these rules before the start of the game, during or after the game. When coincidental disqualification penalties are assessed against an equal number of players of each team, the teams then shall be permitted substitutions on the ice for the penalized players. The offending player may not go to the penalty bench and may not, for the duration of the penalty (including any progressive game-disqualification penalty), occupy any area designated or reserved for players, and may not communicate or contact team personnel in any manner for the duration of the disqualification penalty(s). A substitute, other than a spare goalkeeper, must enter the penalty bench immediately in the place of the disqualified player(s) and enter the game after the five-minute penalty(s) has elapsed.

A player may be assessed more than one disqualification penalty in a game.

b . The progressive game-disqualification structure shall be:
( 1 ) First disqualification penalty ”that game plus one.

( 2 ) Second disqualification penalty that game plus two.

( 3 ) Third disqualification penalty that game plus three.

( 4 ) Fourth disqualification penalty that game plus four.

(The progression shall continue after the fourth disqualification penalty.)

c . Progressive game-disqualification penalties shall carry over to the next season for players with remaining eligibility.

d . The team of the disqualified player(s) shall be permitted to dress a substitute player or players (equal to the number of disqualified players) in the next scheduled game.

e . A player who receives a disqualification penalty in any game (including exhibition games)shall not be permitted to play in the teams next played regular-season or tournament game against an NCAA member institution. Exhibition games cannot be used to fulfill the disqualification penalty.[/Q]

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 11:27AM

Thanks for the info Ben.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 02:13PM

[Q]Steve M Wrote:

Chris '03 Wrote:

Steve M Wrote:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/15/05 11:12AM by Steve M.[/Q]

[/Q]
I stand corrected, but I would be surprised if this isn't a relatively new thing. In my 30+ years of following hockey, I never saw a 5 min. charging. I guess I need to read more recaps of ECAC games.

[/q]

From the 1969 NCAA Ice Hockey Guide (with Keith Magnuson on the cover):
"Rule 12, Section 5. There shall be no:
(a) Pushing, charging, or body checking an opponent into the side or end boards or goal cages.
PENALTY - MINOR, For flagrant violation - MAJOR."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login