Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lines

Posted by Scersk '97 
Lines
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 02:35PM

This topic was being discussed in the discussion of Ari's column, but I thought I would start a new topic to "center" discussion on this one issue.

I think Schafer et al. are still flummoxed as to what the lines should be. I made myself a little chart. From the beginning of the season through the first Michigan State Game, the lines were rock solid:

Moulson--Scott--Hynes
Knoepfli--Iggulden--Carefoot
Abbott--Pegoraro--Sawada
Varteressian--Abbott--McCutcheon

We lost that game, worse than the score indicated, and Carefoot got injured. After that, all hell broke loose. Bitz was, I believe, rushed back into the lineup, since he didn't look good in that second game. He replaced Carefoot and stayed there for the next game vs. Vermont. Dartmouth, because of the Moulson DQ, was all different lines that were only together for that one game.

Then comes the extended experiment of Bitz at center, which I haven't seen, so others will have to comment on it. From afar, it doesn't seem to be working. Moulson's production is, of course, fine--he'll score with anyone--but, after a blip vs. Yale, Hynes's production seems to be down for a while. Hynes seems to be a bit better with Scott at center than with Bitz. I wonder why Schafer hasn't tried Hynes at center ever? He seems to be the kind of defensively oriented guy that Schafer likes there and distributes the puck well. Bitz could then be the right wing--his natural position.

Anyway, back to the other lines. Knoepfli--Iggulden--Carefoot and Varteressian--Abbott--McCutcheon were reunited for, at least, the Brown and Harvard games. (I don't have lines for Florida.) The other two lines have the strangeness of Scott on wing and Bitz at center. This doesn't seem optimal, but Cam Abbott's injury seems to necessitate Scott's placement.

Now, as to what I would like to see:

Moulson--Pegoraro--Hynes
Abbott--Abbott--Sawada
Knoepfli--Scott--Bitz
Varteressian--Iggulden--Carefoot

Moulson and Hynes will, obviously, continue to be together. Why not give Pegoraro a shot if he's as creative as people seem to think? If that doesn't work, try Abbott or Iggulden. Hell, try McCutcheon. If he's so talented, he might respond. Just find somebody to center that line that isn't Bitz. Abbott--Abbott--Sawada is like Abbott--Abbott--Hornby with skills and hasn't been tried yet this season. Bitz, to me, seems to be the odd man out this year, but he definitely has skills. So why not "demote" him and start to develop the lines for next year? Scott isn't Vesce, at least not yet, so there seems to be no point in putting him on the top line. Put Scott and Bitz together with a freshman to be named later, though, and you've started to reform Paolini--Vesce--Bâby. (That won't be the top line next year, but, if they add a good winger like Moulson, could be the top line in two years. I see Bitz as the Paolini in the equation.) Also, Knoepfli might produce a bit more if paired with a more creative center. And the checking line would *really* be a checking line. Maybe they would find some sort of chemistry that no one ever has expected. Iggulden has, supposedly, improved his defense this year, so there can't be that much of a problem in switching out Abbott.

Well, anyway, that's probably why I'm not a hockey coach.

Re: Lines
Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: January 14, 2005 03:02PM

Has there been a time in the last two years where Knoepfli and Iggulden have not played on the same line?

Posted by: Harrier (209.150.239.---)
Date: January 14, 2005 04:15PM

I like the idea of Abbott Abbott Sawada - that is going to drive other teams CRAZY!

I also like the idea of Scott on third line.

Pegs does great ice vision so why not give his the shot on the top line - even though 5 on 5 Bitz Molson and Hynes cause a LOT of trouble. A lot of criticism for Bitz' play comes from his 1st unit PP time. The big three are hard to handle 5 on 5 and lead to lots of PP's, icing, and scoring chances -albeit not a lot of conversions lately.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 04:17PM

Any line Scott is on is by definition not a checking line. Therefore you want him on the line with the highest ceiling for production. Putting Scott and Bitz together, IMHO, nullifies the best aspects of each.

Looking at those lines, Mike's "problem" jumps out at you -- this team has an abundance of fantastic wings but is, relatively, weaker in the center. The development of the C's in the second half is the biggest key to the team's success. For whatever reason, every time I see a game Pegoraro has an off-night, so I'm unnaturally attracted ;-) to developing Iggy as a high ceiling C.

Oh and I'd put the Abbotts back together, since I think they are most effective paired, and I like the idea of throwing Sawada onto that line.

That gives me:

Moulson--Scott--Hynes
Knoepfli--Iggulden--Bitz
Abbott--Abbott--Sawada
Varteressian--Pegs--Carefoot

when everybody's healthy. I've tried to like McCutcheon, but it seems clear to me that he's the odd F out since Varteressian is busting his hump on every shift, and even showing a little, gulp, talent.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 04:41PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Any line Scott is on is by definition not a checking line. [/q]

You haven't seen Topher play. He's scrappy.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 06:52PM

I have seen him play four times. I like him, and he's real scrappy, but he's not going to neutralize his man through checking unless his man is Shaun Hannah.

And Shaun's 35.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 07:06PM

I really like Scersk's suggested lines (once Cam Abbott is back in the lineup), maybe because I suggested playing with Moulson with Pegoraro and I feel like I've been somehow validated by someone else saying the same thing.

But seriously, I feel like this gives you four lines that can all contribute at either end of the ice.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.union.edu)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:43PM

lines were changed up a bit tonight with Chris Abbott between Sawada and Varterssian and Pegoraro between McCutcheon and Scott. Not sure what will happen when Cam Abbott comes back but McCutcheon's play has improved and Bitz has been without a doubt in my mind Cornell's worst forward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login