Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

PWR volatile, Cornell -> #8t

Posted by DeltaOne81 
PWR volatile, Cornell -> #8t
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 11:17PM

Must be a lot of close teams according to PWR. With all but 3 scores in (2 WCHA, 1 CHA), Cornell jumped from 13t -> 8 tonight with the win over Brown (22t after the loss).

Every game really will be very important, with one day making the difference between getting to the NCAA tournament "with some luck" vs. "a lock".

Note: UND is #9 and their score isn't in yet, and they won, so we very well may end up 9 or below by the end of the night, but my point is made :). Also, #3 DU is down 2-0 after 2, and the CHA game involves, of course, no TUCs.

Edit: UND score comes through and Cornell and UND now tied for 8th. CHA score also in. DU looks ready to lose to Mich Tech, so we'll see if that shakes anything up.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2005 11:40PM by DeltaOne81.

Re: PWR volatile, Cornell -> #8
Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.179.---)
Date: January 07, 2005 11:40PM

Now we need Brown to win a few to keep their RPI over .500 so we keep two wins over a TUC.

Re: PWR volatile, Cornell -> #8t
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (66.251.95.---)
Date: January 08, 2005 02:06AM

It apparently depends a lot on what values you use for the QW bonuses.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: January 08, 2005 12:27PM

Using .0030, .0020, .0010, I get us down to 9th, which we really are now anyway.

Using .0050, .0030, .0010, I get us down to 11th (tie 10th).

Same thing with .0050, .0025, .0010.

Its probably in that range, right? I can't find a likely bonus situation that hurts us too much. Although it would if we were a few spots lower.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 06:00PM

Maybe not.

Before last night when we were in a three way tie with Lowell and Wisconsin, the 5,3,1 combo dropped Wisco below us, and kept us in the tie with Lowell.

Just keep winning and make it irrelevant.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: January 10, 2005 03:08AM

Tied w/ Colgate for 13th now, losing the tiebreaker via our RPI.

However, more of note is the conference breakdowns:
WCHA: 5
CCHA: 3
HEA: 4
ECAC: 4 (Harv, us, Colg, UVM)

Granted our top team is Harvard at #8, whereas the others have CC-Mich-BC in the top 3, but it's definitely a start and an improvement.

Since our schedule is mostly insular now except for the Harvard at the Beanpot and I think Brown/Providence, does anyone know if intra-ECAC matchups will hurt us (the conference as a whole) overall? I would imagine so, since it would lower our opponent's RPI compared to OOC matchups, but it's hard to guess all the other factors that could take place...

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 04:46AM

The insularity only hurts in that it drives down our RPI, which is just one point in the pairwise comparison. Except for matchups with conference teams, the H2H is already established. That leaves TUC and COP, and the unsurprising result that the better they do, the better they'll rank.

Having a preponderance of games against relatively weak TUCs helps both by (if everything goes well) raising the record against TUCs and helping out with quality win hocus pocus. (If you get the same bonus for beating a .801 and a .501, then what the hey...)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 08:44AM

Don't forget, you only get QW bonuses for interconference games.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 09:30AM

Aha. In that case, it only helps with TUC, not the Double Secret Bonus.

Posted by: Avash (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 04:07PM

At the conclusion of the conference tournaments in March, do the CHA and AHA winners become TUCs in the pairwise rankings prior to NCAA tournament selection?

(The reason I ask: Cornell beat Canisius, currently at the top of the AHA standings).

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 04:55PM

I believe so.

Re: PWR volatile, Cornell -> #16t
Posted by: Avash (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2005 10:04PM

Brown (with 61 shots on goal tonight, including 27 in the first period) defeated American International 5-2, but by playing them, Brown's RPI dipped under .500, meaning that, for the time being, they are no longer a TUC. This dropped Cornell's PWR from 13th to 16th.

The PWR have not yet been updated (as of 10:00pm) to reflect Dartmouth's 9-8 (!) win over New Hampshire (in which UNH blew a 4 goal lead). Dartmouth is the third ECAC team (Yale, Vermont) to beat New Hampshire over the past 2 seasons.

Re: PWR volatile, Cornell -> #16t
Posted by: Steve M (4.29.49.---)
Date: January 12, 2005 11:09PM

I didn't help us for now because Dartmouth became a TUC, an Cornell is 0-1 against them. If we beat Dartmouth, though, that will even out and we will be helped in the long run by the ECAC's overall improved NC record. Cornell's RPI is back above 0.55

Posted by: The Rancor (---.clarityconnect.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 03:18PM

gotta say that i'm more than a little worried about this team. they have all the talent in the world, but they seem to be pussyfooting around a lot this year. when they play with confidence and hit hard- they win. when they don't, well, you all have seen the results. this team, week in and out, has the respect of the pollsters and all opponents, but still hasn't proven that they are 'for real'. i cant help but feel like they blew it big time against Harvard, in what was one of our last chances to prove ourselves in the regular season as a true contender. We still have big weekends against Vermont and Dartmouth and Colgate, and it aint over till the playoffs are won, but it had better be an amazing run from here on out, or this team is sunk.
Statisticly, this is a great team. #2 Defence, #11 Offence (top ranked of ECEC teams nationaly) #3 PK, #7 PP, #1 combined special teams, #3 scoring margin and #39 in penalty mins (thats good).
all that means crap if we cant win against real tough teams, and so far we realy haven't (exceptions being maine and one against sucks)

heres to a great second half run. lets go red.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 03:58PM

I agree the team needs to turn it up a notch for the stretch drive. Cornell needs to be firing right out of the gate instead of waiting to fall behind to turn it on.

The 2-4-2 record against TUCs is what's hurting the Red in the PWR right now. Here are a few things to be optimistic about though:

1. Of the 8 games so far against TUCs, only one was at Lynah. 5 of the 8 remaining games against TUCs are at home.

2. The composite record of the TUCs played so far are quite a bit better than the records of the TUCs we have left on the schedule.

3. Brown can easily flip back to being a TUC, giving Cornell 2 more wins.

So far the Red have done a good job beating the teams they should. In spite of all the TUCs left on the schedule, the only remaining game that I think we're an underdog is the one @Colgate. If we run up a good record down the stretch, as we should be able to, an NCAA bid will follow without too much worrying.

Date: January 13, 2005 04:59PM

Rancor, we still have another big chance with the Colgate weekend. That will be huge, in terms of conference standings, RPI, especially TUCs, and the h2h matchup with them in the PWR. That will definitely be the make or beak weekend in my opnion.

Also, keep rooting for Brown to win and Dartmouth to lose.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 06:34PM

Cornell seems to have a history of starting slow and finishing strong. Not just in hockey. Think lacrosse, too, both recent years and those Tim Goldstein - Joe Niewendyk (well, we could have hoped for Joe to play his other natural sport) teams circa 1987 that came from a just-over-.500 record to make the NCAA final four or almost make it.

Maybe it's just our imagination that it's a Cornell-specific disease. I certainly think it applies to northern teams in, say, lacrosse, where Carolina or Virginia is already looking at short sleeve weather (well, almost) in a couple weeks. And maybe in hockey because some of our competitors have played eight or ten games more. 24 vs. 15 games played at midseason is a big difference, compared to say 34 vs. 29 games played as the regular season ends. Plus I think Schafer's methodical (some say boring) style of play really catches on around February and that's when a) Cornell really gets tough and b) you start to think about all those silly losses on the road to the Vermonts or Dartmouths etcetera that shouldn't have happened.

The toughest barrier Cornell has to hurdle may be the law of averages: 58 teams looking for 16 playoff spots and four slots in the Frozen Four. And if you make the playoffs, you've got to win four not two games to be national champion, which means four not two chances for an underdog to get lucky and knock off a higher-ranked team, as it did the last couple years to North Dakota or Colorado College or (maybe) Cornell by UNH. OTOH in a year such as this when Cornell is odds on favorite to not win it all, at least there's a greater chance we get to go to the dance and who knows, maybe get lucky. Just as nobody wants to play Princeton in round one of the NCAA squeakball tournament, who'd want to try their luck against the Cornell D in the NCAAs if they could instead have, say, a Colgate or Clarkson to play?

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 07:29PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Cornell seems to have a history of starting slow and finishing strong. Not just in hockey. Think lacrosse, too, both recent years and those Tim Goldstein - Joe Niewendyk (well, we could have hoped for Joe to play his other natural sport) teams circa 1987 that came from a just-over-.500 record to make the NCAA final four or almost make it. [/q]
so which is it, did they make it or not? and if my math is correct you're speaking of the 13-1 runner-up team of 1987 ... somehow i don't think that's going to fit into the "just over .500" club. someone call me crazy, pleeease??? nut

now if you're speaking of the '86 and '88 (NCAA runner-up) teams being at or close to .500 [7-6 and 9-6 respectively] then you have a point ... but that's not how it reads in your post. it would appear you're trying to speak about a team within the same season, not those prior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2005 07:56PM by ben03.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 08:21PM

[q] Cornell seems to have a history of starting slow and finishing strong. Not just in hockey. [/q]Um, I think you're off base here, at least regarding recent hockey history. IIRC Cornell has been the last undefeated team in the nation on several occasions during Mike Schafer's tenure. I'd say we generally have a tendency to start quite strong, at least as measured by wins and losses. It just hasn't always carried over to the middle of the season. (The early season success that I'm referring to has often been due to a weak schedule in November.)

Date: January 13, 2005 08:55PM

We definitely start out winning, if not necessarily strong, against soft teams like Army, Canisus, Sacred Heart, Mercyhurst, etcetera (except for the occasional upset) in the very first games. This year our status as the last unbeaten team was a combination of soft first couple games and everyone else playing 8-10 games (increasing the odds they'd lose one somewhere) as we got up to five games or so.

Last year, for instance, we started okay, then had the January troubles (~2-5-1), and kept climbing up the ladder with an excellent February, but not with quite enough points to overtake the regular season leader, Colgate. I believe Cornell was 7 of 8 of 8 of 9 in February and except for that bizarre 3-0 loss to Union, never gave up more than 2 goals. At the end of January 2004 we were ~one game above .500, at the end of the regular season we were 15-8-6.

[added] I made of graph of Cornell's cumulative points in the regular season (it finished with 36) vs. the average over the season (1.24 ppg, or 36 points in 29 regular season games). It was a slow start. Except for a brief period in November, it was not until the Everblades championship game and the following Harvard game that Cornell was above the season pace (of 1.24 points times the number of games played so far). The January slump pushed Cornell to >4 points below the average and February was all uphill to reach the season average (although it was also chasing an eventual season season pace the got better each time Cornell won a game in February.) So, yes, last year at least, slow start, brief peak, slump, great final month ... and a roller coaster if you watched the PWR ratings.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2005 10:18PM by billhoward.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:41AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Cornell seems to have a history of starting slow and finishing strong. . . Maybe it's just our imagination that it's a Cornell-specific disease. [/q]

I suspect a lot of this pattern has to do with having superior coaching, in that staff is doing a good job in identifying weaknesses and fine tuning as the season progresses. From that perspective the close games - even the losses - are helpful in highlighting problems that need work. Blowouts mid-season are fun for the fans but generally not as much help in preparing for the "real" season.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:53AM

Well, blowouts are good for mid-season too if in fact we are truly that dominant. :-D But I don't think that's happened in a while, if ever, not even in 02-03.

Date: January 14, 2005 10:25PM

With Brown and Union jumping into TUC territory, we get three more TUC wins to 5-3-2, and are 12th, ties with NoDak at 11th.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 07:14AM

Now in 11th, ahead of Sioux but trailing Harvard and Colgate.

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.178.---)
Date: January 15, 2005 04:15PM

Cornell can flip the comparison with Mass.-Lowell by beating RPI AND after Lowell plays at Brown on Tuesday. They are currently tied in the common opponents category at 2-2. Of course, I don't know what will happen to Brown's RPI if they lose the game but if they are no longer a TUC then we lose out anyway. I should probably stop looking ahead.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2005 05:54PM by nyc94.

Date: January 15, 2005 09:53PM

Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, 3 of the top 10 PWR are ECAC after the early games of 1/15:

7: Harvard
8: Colgate
10: Cornell

Break up the ECAC!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2005 09:53PM by Greg Berge.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:04PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

Cornell can flip the comparison with Mass.-Lowell by beating RPI AND after Lowell plays at Brown on Tuesday. They are currently tied in the common opponents category at 2-2. Of course, I don't know what will happen to Brown's RPI if they lose the game but if they are no longer a TUC then we lose out anyway. I should probably stop looking ahead.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/15/05 05:54PM by nyc94.[/q]

Maine is back in the RPI top 15, so that's bonus points for Cornell. Depending on how they determine the bonus, Cornell might actually win that comparison (with UML) if the season ended right now. Lowell has one quality home win (vs. colgate). Cornell has the one quality neutral ice win and trails in RPI by 0.0020. The fact that we may still be battling UML for positioning down the road only makes the Colgate series bigger for the COP calculation.

Of course all this will mean nothing by tuesday probably. It hardly means anything now.

Date: January 15, 2005 11:56PM

It'd be great to move past UML and everything, but even if we stay exactly where we are, we're in great shape. If this team wants to go real far, then some impressive wins against 'gate, UMV, and Dartmouth in the 2nd half would go a long way.

But in a way, the goal is to get to the NCAAs with a team capable of hitting a hot streak. I know we're capable of doing it - although we haven't too much so far - and right now we're in great shape to make the NCAAs. Can't really complain about 11th, which is at large bid-land unless all 6 conferences are won by teams 12th or less. Not too likely.

Date: January 16, 2005 09:08AM

Of the top sixteen teams in PWR, Hockey East and WCHA have five, ECAC four, and CCHA two. Not bad balance.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 11:29AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Of the top sixteen teams in PWR, Hockey East and WCHA have five, ECAC four, and CCHA two. Not bad balance.[/q]

Well, it is for the CCHA. :-P

Date: January 16, 2005 01:38PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Of the top sixteen teams in PWR, Hockey East and WCHA have five, ECAC four, and CCHA two. Not bad balance.[/q]

Maybe it's too soon - or it's never too soon to play what-if? - to ask how many of the top sixteen teams are capable are making the title game?

Date: January 16, 2005 02:15PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Of the top sixteen teams in PWR, Hockey East and WCHA have five, ECAC four, and CCHA two. Not bad balance.[/Q]
Maybe it's too soon - or it's never too soon to play what-if? - to ask how many of the top sixteen teams are capable are making the title game? [/q]

That'd be the one area where we're still behind, as the other 3 have Minn, CC, Mich, and BC, but our best is still only #7.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.clarityconnect.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 03:07PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Of the top sixteen teams in PWR, Hockey East and WCHA have five, ECAC four, and CCHA two. Not bad balance.[/Q]
Maybe it's too soon - or it's never too soon to play what-if? - to ask how many of the top sixteen teams are capable are making the title game? [/q]

exactly 2. laugh

root for Brown to put some smack down on UML on tuesday.

Posted by: jy3 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 11:34AM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Maybe it's too soon - or it's never too soon to play what-if? - to ask how many of the top sixteen teams are capable are making the title game? [/Q]
exactly 2.

root for Brown to put some smack down on UML on tuesday.[/q]

interesting how just playing brown causes uml to lose the COP comparison to cornell - which they would only be able to regain if they sweep BC in february. this game could be crucial to cornell for seeding/at large whether Brom wins or not. gonna be interesting

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 12:50PM

It's that "weaker conference bias" in the PWR that a UAA fan complained about a month or so ago on USCHO. He does have a valid point. In the COP comparison vs. UML, we play BC once and Brown at least twice, while UML plays BC at least twice and Brown once. They have a tougher "COP schedule", but all the games count the same to determine the COP point. The same thing benefits ECAC teams in the TUC comparison as we generally have easier "TUC schedules" than the teams from the better conferences. On the flip side, I think RPI favors the tougher conferences because the formula overweights schedule strength, as a team can lose a game to a good team and have it RPI go up. RPI carries more weight than any other individual category in the PWR since it breaks ties.

bracketology
Posted by: The Rancor (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 01:31PM

uscho's bracketology this week has us playing ancient rivals BU or Denver... dependig on bonus weight.

Date: January 18, 2005 08:39PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/15/05 05:54PM by nyc94.[/q]
Brown-UML scoreless after two.

Date: January 18, 2005 09:12PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Brown-UML scoreless after two.[/q]
let's go brom;-) :-P

Posted by: finchphil (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 09:14PM

Looks like Brown and UML tied 0-0 in OT

Posted by: The Rancor (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 09:15PM

so what does the 0-0 tie do?

Posted by: finchphil (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 09:18PM

It should still flip the comparison with UML to us. We are 2-0-0 over Brown, and they are 0-0-1 in the COP ranking. Given the other COPs in play for us and UML, the fact that they have now played Brown gives us 2 more wins in that ranking. It was my impression that the comparision would flip to us regardless of what the outcome of the Brown-UML game was....win, lose, or in this case, draw.

Re: bracketology
Date: January 18, 2005 10:50PM

Bracketology is fun to read through, but it's more painful than proctology when you have to wade through the same damn boilerplate in paragraphs two through nineteen each week, or so it seems, before you get to this week's musings. That stuff ought to be summarized in about one sentence and then the full version in a sidebar or link.

It's all worthless anyway because the quote seedings unquote change each week as teams win and lose, but still it's fun, and he did recall this week how BC in one trial pairing got the short end of the stick "as Cornell did" two years ago, meaning an unfairly strong first round pairing in order to preserve some other greater good.

Basically the NCAA seedings say that once you seed the teams overall and put them into into bands of first, second, third, and fourth seeds (per region), you can't reseed them to make things work out better (even if it is pretty thin between who might be the third and fourth seed in a region), but you can shuffle them from region to region to avoid intra-conference matchups and to hype the gate. A host school has to stay in its region - inviolate rule, if it makes the NCAAs - and the highest of the No. 1 seeds gets to stay as close to home as possible, so long as that doesn't violate some other rule.

Either of the Massachusetts regionals wouldn't be bad for a lot of Cornell fans. But as a #3 or #4 regional seed, we pretty much go where they send us.

Date: January 19, 2005 12:34AM

[Q]finchphil Wrote:

It should still flip the comparison with UML to us. We are 2-0-0 over Brown, and they are 0-0-1 in the COP ranking. Given the other COPs in play for us and UML, the fact that they have now played Brown gives us 2 more wins in that ranking. It was my impression that the comparision would flip to us regardless of what the outcome of the Brown-UML game was....win, lose, or in this case, draw.[/q]

this was and is indeed true

the new comparison :

Cornell vs Mass.-Lowell
.5558 0 RPI 1 .5572
5-4-2 .5455 1 TUC 0 .5357 6-5-3
5-2-0 .7143 1 COp 0 .5833 3-2-1
0-0-0 0 H2H 0 0-0-0
2 TOT 1

the only way that UML can regain the COP part of the comparison is by sweeping BC OR if cornell loses 2 more than they win against 'gate, slu(t), clarkson, and dartmouth - didnt realize that UML played all those teams. anyway, it should prove interesting :)

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.178.---)
Date: January 19, 2005 01:03AM

Mass.-Lowell played 7 of their 10 nonconference games against ECAC teams - and went 6-0-1. They also beat Bentley once and Niagara twice. They have already lost once each to Maine and BC and have two more remaining with each. Cornell has two each with Colgate, St. Lawrence, and Clarkson, and one each with Dartmouth, RPI, and Union.

Cornell's games against Dartmouth and UVM this weekend are huge in the TUC category - especially with Union and Brown so close to the cutoff.

Re: bracketology
Posted by: RedAR (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 01:33AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Either of the Massachusetts regionals wouldn't be bad for a lot of Cornell fans. But as a #3 or #4 regional seed, we pretty much go where they send us.

[/q]
Well, even when Cornell was a #1 seed, "we pretty much [went] where they [sent] us."

RPI Bonus Question
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 09:31PM

Why is it that when you apply a reasonable RPI bonues Union ceases to be a TUC? I can't totally figure that out.

Re: RPI Bonus Question
Date: January 21, 2005 09:35PM

what are the agreed upon bonus weights?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.z48-48-64.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 09:39PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

Why is it that when you apply a reasonable RPI bonues Union ceases to be a TUC? I can't totally figure that out. [/q]

Not quite sure what you mean but Union's loss tonight dropped their RPI below .500 so they are not a TUC. I don't know if bonus points can raise you to be a TUC or if you have to be one before the bonus is applied. Either way, without the win over Union in our record against TUCs we lose the comparison with Nebraska-Omaha. For a few minutes we were winning that one.

Re: PWR, Cornell -> #9
Date: January 21, 2005 10:04PM

With 12 of 22 scores in:
WCHA has #'s 1, 3, 4
HEA has #'s 2, 6, 10
ECACHL has #'s 7, 8, 9
CCHA has # 5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2005 10:05PM by ben03.

Date: January 21, 2005 10:08PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

With 12 of 22 scores in:
WCHA has #'s 1, 3, 4
HEA has #'s 2, 6, 10
ECACHL has #'s 7, 8, 9
CCHA has # 5[/q]
#3 losing to Michigan Tech 4-2 with 7:30 to go.

Date: January 21, 2005 10:10PM

EDIT:

With 16 of 22 scores in:

WCHA has #'s 1, 3, 4
HEA has #'s 2, 6t, 10
ECACHL has #'s 6t, 8, 9
CCHA has # 5

Date: January 21, 2005 10:15PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

With 12 of 22 scores in:
WCHA has #'s 1, 3, 4
HEA has #'s 2, 6, 10
ECACHL has #'s 7, 8, 9
CCHA has # 5[/Q]
#3 losing to Michigan Tech 4-2 with 7:30 to go.[/q]
Minny gets a PPG but Tech comes right back, 5-3.

Go Jamie Russell.

Date: January 21, 2005 10:18PM

let's go tech!!!

[holy $hit did i just say that ... ?!? screwy]

Date: January 21, 2005 10:28PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

let's go tech!!![/q]

6-3 with an ENG

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 10:33PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

Why is it that when you apply a reasonable RPI bonues Union ceases to be a TUC? I can't totally figure that out. [/q]

I suspect you caught the static page before it had been re-run with the Union result included; when you applied any bonus (even all zeros) you used all the current scores.

Date: January 21, 2005 10:52PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

let's go tech!!![/Q]
6-3 with an ENG[/q]
they haven't posted the score yet ... maybe if they don't put it up, it didn't happen nut ;-)

Date: January 21, 2005 11:10PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

let's go tech!!![/Q]
6-3 with an ENG[/Q]
they haven't posted the score yet ... maybe if they don't put it up, it didn't happen[/q]

Musta cut the wires outa the Twin Cities. :-P

Date: January 22, 2005 09:46AM

Rk Team PWR Record RPI 
Rk W-L-T Win % Rk RPI 
1 Colorado College 28 1 20-3-2 .8400 1 .6247 
2 Boston College 27 2 15-3-3 .7857 4 .5862 
3 Minnesota 26 10 18-8-0 .6923 2 .6136 
4 Denver 24 8 15-6-1 .7045 5 .5807 
5 Michigan 23 4t 18-6-1 .7400 6 .5712 
6t Boston University 22 16t 13-9-1 .5870 3 .5869 
6t Colgate 22 3 18-5-0 .7826 8 .5623 
8 Harvard 21 13 10-5-2 .6471 7 .5638 
9 Cornell 20 7 12-4-2 .7222 10 .5610 
10 New Hampshire 19 6 16-5-2 .7391 12 .5574 
11t Mass.-Lowell 17 11 13-5-3 .6905 11 .5575 
11t Ohio State 17 9 16-6-3 .7000 15 .5468 
13 North Dakota 15 20 14-10-2 .5769 13 .5555 
14t Nebraska-Omaha 14 21 12-9-2 .5652 20 .5190 
14t Wisconsin 14 4t 18-6-1 .7400 9 .5618 
16t Northern Michigan 13 16t 11-7-5 .5870 21 .5157 
16t Michigan State 13 26 13-11-1 .5400 14 .5492 
18t Maine 12 18 12-8-5 .5800 16 .5394 
18t Vermont 12 15 13-8-3 .6042 18 .5270 
20 Dartmouth 10 28 8-8-2 .5000 22 .5133 
21 Northeastern 8 37 8-12-3 .4130 17 .5295 
22 Minnesota State 7 42t 8-13-4 .4000 19 .5252 
23t Bemidji State 5 12 14-7-0 .6667 23 .5115 
23t Brown 5 22 8-6-3 .5588 24 .5113 
25t St. Lawrence 4 25 12-10-1 .5435 25 .5103 
25t Western Michigan 4 30 10-11-1 .4773 26 .5065 
27 Bowling Green 3 23 10-8-3 .5476 27 .5063 
28 Ferris State 1 36 9-13-3 .4200 28 .5063 
29 Massachusetts 0 32 10-12-2 .4583 29 .5017

in case no one saw
ECACHL 6, 8, 9, 18,20,23,25
onion not a TUC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2005 09:47AM by jy3.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 04:27PM

Anybody remember over the last few years, how many ECAC teams have usually been TUC's at the end of the season? I want to say 4 or 5 seems more average (though I could wrong). There's plenty of hockey left this season, but we're looking at a potential for 6 or 7. Rock on, ECACHL.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2005 04:28PM by KP '06.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.patmedia.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 07:47PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

Anybody remember over the last few years, how many ECAC teams have usually been TUC's at the end of the season? I want to say 4 or 5 seems more average (though I could wrong). There's plenty of hockey left this season, but we're looking at a potential for 6 or 7. Rock on, ECACHL.[/q]
The number of TUCs is nice. But what really matters is the # of teams in the NCAA tournament. With a definite chance to send 3, and 4 with a tourney upset (or a Vermont charge, which hopefuly won't start tonight), the ECAC could be making a serious impression, with a number of chances to improve ourselves on the national stage.

Anyone want to say when the last time the ECAC had 3 teams in the tourney was? or 4? I can't remember more than 2 since my freshman year (confired, 1 or 2 every year since '00)

Date: January 22, 2005 07:53PM

I think Cornell, Clarkson, and Vermont made it in 96 or thereabouts.

Date: January 22, 2005 08:04PM

And Yale, Princeton, and Clarkson in 98. Man, that sounds really weird. Now, these were 12 team tournaments, but there were also fewer teams around.

Date: January 22, 2005 10:44PM

well cornell was up to 6th but then we lost the UNO comparison. that one will be interesting down the road. UNO has 4 games left against TUCs and cornell has plenty - that is where the comparison will likely be decided is TUC record unless one team or the other has a largely changed RPI. No more COP left for either team. should be interesting :)

Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 10:26AM

As of Sunday, 1/23 we're up to #6. We were still #8 until Colgate lost, which flipped that comparison, moving us up to a tie for sixth wth Harvard, and also causing 'gate to lose some other comparisons. Later, we won back the UNO comparison when Ferris St. ceased being a TUC by losing at Fairbanks, thus moving us one comparison ahead of Harvard. Earlier in the evening, the UNO comparison had flipped the other way, when UMass had dropped out of being a TUC - and since that eliminated a loss from UNO's TUC record, it had given them the comparison for awhile. Just another example of how poor PWR is - if a team you lost to (i.e. UMass in UNO's case) winds up being considered as a weaker team (non-TUC), then the loss doesn't count as much.
I shouldn't complain too much about PWR though when we're #6.

Date: January 23, 2005 12:41PM

We're 6 in PWR and 9 in KRACH. The objective conculsion is that PWR is a better measure. :-)

Date: January 23, 2005 02:15PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

We're 6 in PWR and 9 in KRACH. The objective conculsion is that PWR is a better measure. [/q]
This brings up an interesting topic. In the past, didn't KRACH tend to reflect better on the ECAC than PWR? Our 'excuse' was just that PWR, or at least RPI, overweights S.O.S.

But this year, PWR is doing us better, even though the WCHA and HEA still definitey have the higher S.O.S, PWR still has us above Wisc, UND, and UNH, while KRACH does not. So now it seems that argument is out. Anyone so inclined care to take a shot at 'what gives'?

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 02:32PM

That's not how I remember it. Over the last few years it seems to me that KRACH rates WCHA and HE teams very highly, more so than PWR> The last place team in the WCHA usually was ahead of the middle of the middle of the pack of the ECAC.

Here's an interesting game if someone wants to waste large amounts of computer time and has access to PWR generating code. Take the season scores list from USCHO. Calculate a new PWR after each game completes (using start times plus game time from the box score, or efor simplicity assuming that all games take an equal amount of time) and stpre the results for each team with date/time tags. Then plot the PWR as a function of time, showing us the beauty of the crazy fluctuations.

Posted by: KenP (---.tu.ok.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 04:03PM

Next week we play Clarkson and St Lawrence for the first time. My thoughts as to how that will impact PWR:

RPI will be hurt slightly
Clarkson lost to Ferris, UNH and UML. They beat Ohio State (1-0-1). Anthing less than a series sweep will hurt the COP comparison for the first 3 comparisons.
SLU(t) has a win against MSU but losses to UNH and UML. Again, this is an important game for these COP comparisons.
SLU(t) is also a TUC (and will likely remain one), despite a very tough remaining season.

What's the morale other than "wins are good / losses are bad"? I'm not sure.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 05:54PM

As far as I know, the ECAC has always (NOTE: History for me began on 1995) done better at PWR than KRACH.

ECAC bias has never been an argument for or against those two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login