Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Attendance figures lie?

Posted by billhoward 
Attendance figures lie?
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 10:33AM

We had a thread a couple weeks back regarding published attendance figures vs. actual seats in the chairs attendance figures. (One side said: all the owners care about is tickets sold. Other side: concession revenue and parking is important, too, and sold-not-used tickets are a sign of disinterest in the team.) Most places appear to report tickets-sold attendance figures even though the handheld bar code scanners let you get exact attendance counts instantly.

From the USCHO recap compiled by staff, meaning no one apparently was there and saw it: >>> Tuesday's doubleheader drew [their words] 7,401 fans to Germain Arena, home of the Florida Everblades ECHL squad. The championship game between BC and St. Cloud State will take place Wednesday at 7:30 ET.

Germain formerly TECO arena has a listed hockey capacity of 7,128 according to a number of sites, including this one that lists capacities of thousands of stadiums worldwide. Note the first URL takes you to the home page and lots of annoying popups; the second for North America has none or fewer.
[www.worldstadiums.com] <-- careful clicking on this
[www.worldstadiums.com] <-- north america stadiums only

So how full did it look given that attendance was listed as 300 over capacity? It's hard to eyball the stands from TV this year and from being there last year, but it looked far less full this time around. Notre Dame and OSU (sorry, The OSU) have thousands of fans and snowbirds, although St. Cloud State at 16,000 enrollment is not exactly dwarfish.

And who seemed to have the most fans there?

Re: Attendance figures lie?
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 10:39AM

On TV it looked about half full for the Cornell game and maybe a quarter full for the Maine game...I remember reading on this forum that tickets to the game were part of the season ticket package for the minor league team so there you go.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (207.59.195.---)
Date: December 29, 2004 10:53AM

Much of the crowd was only there for one game or the other, so even if they counted people coming in (which they could have done, since they scanned barcodes on our tickets) they would have got a larger number than were actually in the arena at one time.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: schoaff (---.atl.megapath.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 04:01PM

I believe this tournament is included as part of the Everblades season ticket package. I know a lot of the people I talked to there were season ticket holders. So they probably included all of those in their numbers.

I'd concur that it was about 1/4 full for Maine/SCSU and maybe 1/3 full for Cornell/BC. I think the attendance was lighter this year than last, probably because it was held mid-week this year.

SCSU seemed to travel very well and may have had the most fans; Maine did OK and had a golf tournament for their alumni (although they've had more in past years). The BC fans that were there complained that their athletic department was encouraging people who were going to travel to go to the football game instead of the hockey tournament.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 04:09PM

[Q]schoaff Wrote:
The BC fans that were there complained that their athletic department was encouraging people who were going to travel to go to the football game instead of the hockey tournament.[/q]

Ha! The game is in North Carolina against...wait for it...North Carolina. Their fans will have no affect on the game. If anything BC blew it by losing to Syracuse and missing out on a real bowl game.

BTW, it was confirmed during an intermission interview with Craig Brush that they oversold because tickets were included in their season ticket package and they didn't expect all of the season ticket holders to attend.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 04:19PM

[Q]schoaff Wrote: ... BC fans that were there complained that their athletic department was encouraging people who were going to travel to go to the football game instead of the hockey tournament.[/q]

This is an issue that Cornell's athletic department has fortunately not had to confront.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 04:41PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

schoaff Wrote: ... BC fans that were there complained that their athletic department was encouraging people who were going to travel to go to the football game instead of the hockey tournament.[/Q]
This is an issue that Cornell's athletic department has fortunately not had to confront. [/q]

By virtue of there being no I-AA bowl series? I'm missing your point.

Posted by: billhoward (69.142.208.---)
Date: January 01, 2005 01:10AM

That was tongue in cheek. I'm annoyed the Ivy presidents discriminate against the schools' football teams by disallowing their football teams' - and only those teams, I believe - participation in postseason games. I don't believe you can find any logic supporting no postseason for football-only - gridders need to pay more attention to academics than soccer or basketball players:? Their season is already longer than the hockey season?

College is a good place to learn things, but not, I fear, ethics or logic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login