Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Yanks acquire Big Unit; sucks to be a Sox fan right now

Posted by faithful07 
Yanks acquire Big Unit; sucks to be a Sox fan right now
Posted by: faithful07 (---)
Date: December 16, 2004 09:40PM

Yanks pull off the big one...Red Sox are looking like a one-year wonder a la D'Backs, Angels, and Marlins.

Re: Yanks acquire Big Unit; sucks to be a Sox fan right now
Posted by: atb9 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2004 09:50PM

Talk about your OT thread without the "OT:"...

I'm a Yanks fan but the Red Sox won. One-year wonder? I don't think the Red Sox fans would like that moniker but it's better than no-year wonder.

Honestly, you sound like a bitter Red Sox fan... :-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2004 09:51PM by atb9.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2004 10:03PM

[Q]faithful07 Wrote:

Yanks pull off the big one...Red Sox are looking like a one-year wonder a la D'Backs, Angels, and Marlins.[/q]

First, this isn't a baseball news board.

2nd, yeah, it sure does suck to be a Sox fan now. I'm sure they all hated winning that world series, and still drenched in champagne and beer. Plus getting to hold it over Yankee fans heads for the next year and beyond. And now they have to buy all the books, magazines, shirts, hats, DVDs... Yeah, it must suck to be a Sox fan. rolleyes

3rd, christ...you're burying a very well put-together team because of this?? They aren't a one-year wonder (yet). And even if they are, Sox fans don't care. They got their championship. Plus, as they proved this year, they don't have to win the division to have another shot...they (and any other team, including the Yankees) just need to be good enough to win the "best loser" Wild Card, and have the right numbers come up in the ALCS.

4th, the Marlins are a 2-year wonder.

5th, I'm a die-hard Yankee fan, and I'm sorta sad about giving up a Vazquez in his late-20's for a 41-year old. I'm impressed that they did this (if it's true) without having to give up any of the bullpen. Talk of signing a player that old to a contract extension is pretty remarkable, but then again, he won't even be the oldest pitcher in this rivalry.

</end baseball talk from me>
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2004 10:16PM by RichH.

Posted by: atb9 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2004 10:11PM

I tried emailing you but fuckoff@fuckoff.com probably wouldn't go through... ;-)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: December 16, 2004 10:18PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

5th, I'm a die-hard Yankee fan, and I'm sorta sad about giving up a Vazquez in his late-20's for a 41-year old.[/q]

I had the misfortune of seeing Vasquez pitch at a losing game at Camden Yards, and he was just awful. I have not been impressed by him in any game I've watched. If he were early-20's and inconsistent, I'd be inclined to keep him around and wait for him to gain experience; but he's late-20's and consistently bad. Buh-bye.

That said, I'm pretty much dead-set against ever signing anyone over 40, including pitchers as solid as Johnson, because biology dictates that their time is nearly over. Still, given the choice between the two, I'd take Johnson any day. Besides, isn't this the last year of Johnson's contract? One year is a reasonable gamble.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: December 17, 2004 09:12AM

Apparently the deal requires a two year extension for Johnson to approve it, so it's a 3 year gamble. I suspect that money doesn't matter in the least, though.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: December 17, 2004 10:13AM

I'm dead set against signing anybody over 37, not only because of biology, but because of opportunity cost -- for the (outrageous) money a Johnson costs you, you could be bringing in a couple of younger guys to develop within the organization, who won't then just drop off the shelf. And with a Johnson, the payscale is always chasing his best years, while with a younger guy, it's just the opposite.

Hudson is a thousand times better a pick-up than Johnson.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2004 10:14AM by Greg Berge.

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.178.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 10:24AM

In a related story, the Yankees announced ticket price increases yesterday.

From AP:

The New York Yankees are raising ticket prices for most of their top seats by $10 next season, with the best box seats going for $90. New York's best regular seats, which include waiter service, are available only as part of season ticket plans.

The price of the top ticket usually available on a per-game basis will rise to $60, from $55. Upper deck reserved seats increase from $15 to $17, and bleacher seats rise from $8 to $10.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: December 17, 2004 11:41AM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

The price of the top ticket usually available on a per-game basis will rise to $60, from $55. Upper deck reserved seats increase from $15 to $17, and bleacher seats rise from $8 to $10.[/q]

Still lots cheaper than the Boston Cornhole. Amazing how supply-and-demand works.

Kyle

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: December 17, 2004 11:52AM

Was thinking the same thing: that's pretty cheap. (and since you only go to a ballgame for atmosphere, who would waste their money on a $60 box seat?)

Of course, our local Carolina League affiliate sells tickets for $1, and the players actually care.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:12PM

As a season ticket holder and as big a Yankee fan I know, I'll start by saying, I'm not happy. One, I don't want my upper deck tickets costing me over $40 a game, which is rediculous considering we got them only three years ago at $30. Two, I don't want a 41 year-old, no matter how good he is. He's not as consistent as he used to be. Three, does everybody forget the Vazquez was an allstar last year? The kid had a great first half and melted down in the second half. I think a 28 year old with as much potential as he showed in Montreal and over the first half is not worth giving up on b/c of one half season. Fourth, while I'm not worried about giving up Dioner Navarro, Eric Duncan is going to be a star and should be the Yankees 1B of the future. He was their first round pick two drafts ago and has tremendous power potential. People seem to forget about what won the Yankees their 4 World Series titles: Jeter, Posada, Bernie, Pettitte, Mariano. The home-grown core. Yankee fans who like this deal can't have watched baseball for the past four seasons.

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:16PM

First: Nothing's a done deal and looks like Green doesn't even want to go. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947995)

Second: Red Sox are far from a one year wonder, they've still got a good team. Their core (sans Pedro - not a big loss) is still together and they added Renteria...I think that's an upgrade at the shortstop position. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees fail again. There's something to be said about teams that actually play together and compliment each other than a bunch of superstars that just wear the same uniform (look at the Red Sox this year, the Pistons). A team that acts more like a college team in terms of how they relate to each other - as friends, is much more likely to succeed, in my opinion.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:25PM

Not sure what you mean about "right now". Doesn't it always suck to be a Sox fan?

Still, I do enjoy living in Bost-One-and-Done (or at least reasonably close). Go Pats!

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: December 17, 2004 01:31PM

[Q]First, this isn't a baseball news board. [/Q]
Might as well be today rolleyes

Posted by: Red man (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 11:11PM

Definitely sucks to be a sox fan right now. That makes sense.....

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 12:09AM

Take notes if you're going through baseball withdrawal like me:

(for those who only read about the Yanks and Sawx, skip down to the '''''''', but for the rest of you:)

The Diamondbacks have won a couple divisions in a row, the Angels have topped 90 wins a couple times in the last couple of years too, but the Marlins do get ripped apart right after successful years.

More like, it sucks to be an A's or Dodgers fan - they're also being torn down: the A's have lost two of the best starting pitchers in the game in Mulder and Hudson, with more to come/go, while the Dodgers give up Beltre, Finley, and probably Green, only to pick up Jeff Kent and waste his defensive abilities.

Speaking of Jeff Kent, how about the Mets - the creation in the vacuum that the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers left (the reason the Mets are orange and blue, anyway)? They can't have their cake and eat it too, ever (save '86). They had this superstar Jeff Kent when he was a no-name elsewhere, only to give him up to Giants in San Francisco, where he'd hit grand slams, several 100 RBI seasons, and play some stellar defense and 2nd (peak years, easy). After a stint with the Astros, he ends up going to play for the Los Angeles (if they had them, trolley-) Dodgers. That's just one player; the Mets have a depressing history of giving up anything and everything, most prominently, amazing pitchers who have thrown "plenty" of highly-coveted no-hitters, just not as a Metropolitan: Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Hideo Nomo, Warren Spahn, to name a few. Mets pitchers have come within one out of doing so, but just can't seem to get it done.

"""The Red Sox probably won't have a bad year, they'll finish over .500 surely. They made some good pickups, and had "pretty good" team chemistry last year, that says something about their chances in 2005.

The Yankees, unlike those in Queens, spend their piles of cash powerfully (if not efficiently like the A's for example) and do pick up wins with big'uns like Clemens, perhaps Johnson, and Arnie Boone (sometimes it's better being lucky than good). They don't always throw players to the winds of current popularity: they still have Bernie, Jorge, Derek, Mariano, and just lost Andy.

The truth is that it's much rarer to find franchise players and teams with unwavering reputations nowadays. Back when I was a kid, I though Will Clark would forever be a Giant, Mark McGuire would always be in green and gold (points for whoever can tell me why the A's have an elephant with a bat balancing on a baseball as their logo), and the National League would be the land of pitching and defense (see the Braves, Dodgers, and the 1900 Chicago Cubs - Tinkers to Evers to Chance for another double play).

Almost all of you are Red Sox or Yankees fans, and us little people put up with you because we love baseball more than (read: just as much as) the rest of you. Who else pledges allegiances to other teams?

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 12:46AM

here ya go

[www.sportsecyclopedia.com]

edit:

Here's the Recap if you don't want to click on the link-

Elephant Logo:
In 1902 John McGraw manger of the New York Giants referred to the [Philadelphia] Athletics as the "White Elephants", implying Mack shouldn't be allowed to spend money without supervision. Mack defiantly adopted the White Elephant as the team insignia, and in 1902, the A's won the American League pennant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2004 12:52AM by atb9.

Posted by: Steve M (4.29.49.---)
Date: December 20, 2004 12:55AM

I'm sure you must be talking about White Sox fans, since they haven't won since 1917. As a Red Sox fan, I just ordered 3 DVDs on their championship season. Other than the effect on my wallet, I hardly sucks to be a Red Sox fan. Even if they do tank next year, we were finally able to experience something I thought I might never see in my lifetime. For so many years it was "until next year," well "next year" finally came. Right now I don't care much about 2005.

Date: December 20, 2004 01:07AM

I think he also meant to refer to them as circus animals (too).

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 09:50AM

Way aside: John McGraw was born in Truxton, NY, about 30 miles from Ithaca (10 miles east of Cortland). There's a monument to him in the traffic circle in town (there's also at least one stoplight!). I have several relatives who farmed in that area.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 06:17PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

Way aside: John McGraw was born in Truxton, NY, about 30 miles from Ithaca (10 miles east of Cortland). There's a monument to him in the traffic circle in town (there's also at least one stoplight!). I have several relatives who farmed in that area.[/q]Truxton, well known to those of us who ski at Labrador.:-)

Posted by: gtsully (---.75.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 01:15AM

Let me tell you first hand... it absolutely does NOT suck to be a Red Sox fan right now. I've been doing this for 27 years, I'm in Boston right now... it's never been better. Take your $16 million, 41-year-old, best left-handed pitcher ever... we don't care. We're still celebrating the championship that your team choked away... we don't have time to worry about the Yankees.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 01:27AM

[Q]Ack Wrote:
Speaking of Jeff Kent, how about the Mets - the creation in the vacuum that the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers left (the reason the Mets are orange and blue, anyway)? They can't have their cake and eat it too, ever (save '86). They had this superstar Jeff Kent when he was a no-name elsewhere, only to give him up to Giants in San Francisco, where he'd hit grand slams, several 100 RBI seasons, and play some stellar defense and 2nd (peak years, easy). After a stint with the Astros, he ends up going to play for the Los Angeles (if they had them, trolley-) Dodgers. That's just one player; the Mets have a depressing history of giving up anything and everything, most prominently, amazing pitchers who have thrown "plenty" of highly-coveted no-hitters, just not as a Metropolitan: Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Hideo Nomo, Warren Spahn, to name a few. Mets pitchers have come within one out of doing so, but just can't seem to get it done.[/q]Ugh, don't remind me.

And it's not just all the no-hitters we've traded away or seen depart by free agency (Mike Scott, Dwight Gooden, 1/9th of Octavio Dotel, David Cone, AJ Burnett) or players who pitched no-hitters before coming to the Mets (Al Leiter, Kenny Rogers, and now Pedro Martinez) or players who did both (Nomo)...

The Mets' history, through my Giants-orange-and-Dodger-blue-tinted glasses, is just FULL of has-beens who came to the Mets as big names and left as retirees or castoffs (Richie Ashburn, Duke Snider, Warren Spahn, Willie Mays, George Foster, Willie Randolph, Eddie Murray, Vince Coleman, Bret Saberhagen, Carlos Baerga (aka what we got for Jeff Kent), Rickey Henderson, Orel Hershiser, Mo Vaughn, and, now, Pedro), never-wases who came out of the draft highly regarded and never amounted to anything (Jason Tyner, Terrence Long, Jay Payton, Gregg Jeffries, Billy Beane, or the Mets' first #1 overall, Steve Chilcott, who never even made it to the bigs), or what I think is the Mets' specialty, guys who were nothing when they were with the Mets, then left and became stars (Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, Kevin Mitchell, Jeff Kent, Jeromy Burnitz, and most recently Melvin Mora and perhaps Scott Kazmir... there are more but I'm getting too annoyed to look at this shit).

And don't even get me started on Bobby fuckin' Bonilla.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I'm a Mets fan. Life is bitterness.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.unibe.ch)
Date: December 21, 2004 04:14AM

Don't forget trading Rusty Staub for Mickey Lolitch. help

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: December 21, 2004 08:52AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

The Mets' history, through my Giants-orange-and-Dodger-blue-tinted glasses, is just FULL of has-beens who came to the Mets as big names and left as retirees or castoffs ... Billy Beane, or the Mets' first #1 overall, Steve Chilcott, who never even made it to the bigs), or what I think is the Mets' specialty, guys who were nothing when they were with the Mets, then left and became stars ...
Sorry if I sound bitter, but I'm a Mets fan. Life is bitterness.[/q]

If the Mets hadn't picked up Billy Beane when he wasn't really ready, the A's wouldn't be winning 90+ games every year now on the lowest payroll there is. Makes the teams with money seem like they're wasting it...until they win a world series, or something minor like that.

Cubs (listen to "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" - genius) and White Sox...Chicago deserves one....

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 12:36PM

Well at least you had 1969 and 1986. Two title in a 44 year history is actually a bit better than average. It could be worse. You could be a Cubs fan or a White Sox fan. Although no one is happier about baseball than we are right now. :-)

Date: December 21, 2004 11:00PM

Looks like the trade is now off! It's a great time to be a Yankees fan! :-D

We've had such a good offseason, shipping away Vazquez would kill it.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 11:40PM

Phew. Thank God, or the Dodgers.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:12AM

Peace on earth, good will toward men (and too bad about Johnson not going to New York). At least Sox fans and Yankees fans have things in common, probably respect for Joe Torre's abilities, perhaps a desire to see pictures in Esquire of whoever Derek Jeter is currently dating, and certainly the common level of esteem we have for George Steinbrenner. I really could see George Costanza working in that office and fitting right in.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:22AM

[Q]faithful07 Wrote:

Yanks pull off the big one...Red Sox are looking like a one-year wonder a la D'Backs, Angels, and Marlins.[/q]
Man, must suck to be wrong, AND a jackass, huh?

Marlins one year wonders? Yeah, winning a title 7 years into your existance (if that?) and then another one 6 years later. Such a horrible state of affairs, they must just hate it down there.

Man, just goes to show the absolute Yankee obliviousness to how things actually work. The Marlins are probably the second or third or fourth most successful team in the last decade or so. Winning a title and then not for a while? Guess what, that's how it *supposed* to work - when you don't have 10 times the payroll to work with. Like the billionaire in town saying "man, those upper-middle class fools, can't even afford more than one yacht! Sucks to be them!" - yeah, he's a lovely person. Trust me, everyone else in the world who wasn't born into a multi-million dollar trust fund is pretty damn happy if they can get a single yacht.

On average, every team will win a title once every 30 years - on AVERAGE. If you win once every generation or so, you are perfectly average, not even in the lower portion of the spectrum. The 'birth right' bull is revolting.

All that said, the Unit will probably still end up with the Yankees, because they're the only team that can afford him without blinking an eye - hell, they could pay him 3 times as much as still not blink an eye - but he's 41 - and has got to be hitting his end within a few years. Considering the Yankees are now cursed, that may not be enough ;)

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.lowmrn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 12:35PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
On average, every team will win a title once every 30 years - on AVERAGE. If you win once every generation or so, you are perfectly average, not even in the lower portion of the spectrum.[/Q]

Well, there have only been 30 teams for 7 seasons now...for 60 years (1901-1960) there were only 16 teams in MLB. And teams like the Cubs, White Sox, and Indians have gone a long time since their last championship, but at least they all have more than one in their history...as does every other existing team that played during that span...except the Phillies, who have won only one championship (1980) and five pennants in 122 years of existence.

Also consider that the Eagles haven't won a championship since 1960, the Flyers haven't won a championship since 1975, and the Sixers haven't won a championship since 1983, and you have 84 combined seasons without a championship in any sport. No wonder Philly sports fans are so bitter. (Don't bring up T.O., either.)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 01:33PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Looks like the trade is now off! It's a great time to be a Yankees fan!

[/q]
I hear Sandy Koufax is available. whistle

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 11:30PM

whoa, easy big fella...you need to switch to decaf! :-D

Date: December 30, 2004 04:35PM

Faithful07, this goes out to you!

banana

[sports.espn.go.com]

I hope to see the Big Unit pitch for the Yankees (ticket prices went up again :-( ) but I'm really going to miss Vazquez.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 04:45PM

So, does it suck to be a Sox fan now? rolleyes

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 04:53PM

I'd imagine not, considering they are World Champions.

Date: December 30, 2004 04:58PM

It sucks to be a sucks fan ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2004 05:11PM by atb9.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 05:12PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

I'd imagine not, considering they are World Champions.[/q]
Right.

In fact, it's quite terrific. Especially now, watching the Yankees act like fools trying to catch up. Couldn't be better, actually. Well, on second thought it probably could--if the Yanks had taken the bait on Pedro. banana banana banana

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 05:49PM

Tough to be a Sox fan? Sox fans have low expectations. Actually high-level low expectations, meaning we ask only that our hearts be broken in dramatic fashion, for instance by a ground ball going through Bill Buckner's legs ... not by finishing 24-1/2 games out. So in a year in which the team became the first ever to come back from a 3-0 playoff deficit and then proceed to roll off eight straight wins, it's hard to be sad.

Plus much as the fans will miss Pedro, there is a belief that his best years are in the rearview mirror. By going to the NL he does the Sox no harm unless the Mets and Sox make the series, and a lot of people suspect Pedro's saving his best pitches for brushbacks. Too bad Pedro couldn't have finished out his career with the Sox, but he wanted to test out the Greater Fool theory.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 08:45PM

Just in case anyone didn't realize it, my last statement in this thread was meant to be taken sarcastically. Of course it doesn't suck to be a Sox fan right now. It can't possibly suck to be a Sox fan again until the beginning of the 2005 season. I'm just trying to say that faithful07's statements continue to be moronic, now that Yankees have finally managed to acquire Johnson.

Date: December 30, 2004 08:48PM

And I just want to reiterate that it sucks to be a sucks fan. So therefore it sucks to be some of the Red Sox fans because they too are sucks fans. nut

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login