Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2004-05 men's hockey media guide

Posted by billhoward 
2004-05 men's hockey media guide
Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 02:06PM

Looking for a link to the 2004-05 hockey media guide from Cornell. There's the basketball media guide and last year's ice hockey media guide, but not this year's that comes up in searches.

And if it's like the others, it appears if you want to save it locally, you have to save and merge about six PDFs.

Re: 2004-05 men's hockey media guide
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 06:17PM

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

And yes, it's split into 8 PDF files.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: December 07, 2004 06:46PM

that's the 2003-04 media guide, though. I haven' seen the 04-05 one.

Posted by: Doug Dickerson (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 07:08PM

Pete
As far as I know the media guide for this year isn't
out yet. Last years wasn't out until I believe after the first
of the year. I heard that they are trying to get this years
out sooner.
Doug

Date: December 07, 2004 08:21PM

Oops... so it is. Color me embarassed. worry

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 08:43PM

No offense, Cornell, but a media guide that comes out halfway through the season ...? Ben Mintz, rest in peace.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 08:48PM

[q]No offense, Cornell, but a media guide that comes out halfway through the season ...? Ben Mintz, rest in peace.[/q]No. Please take offense Cornell! And then fix whatever is causing the late release. Media guides should be ready before the season starts.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 10:47PM

The thing that is causing the late release is three full-time staff (one of whom is an intern), doing the publications for all of the varsity sports. This is on top of the day to day stuff (game notes, web updates, gameday ops., etc.) they have to do. Student support is notoriously unreliable -- there are usually two good stat crew kids a year, and one or two good writers, if they're lucky. It's hard enough to get the students to type up the swimming releases, let alone write a season recap.

When there were four people, they were all working late hours seven days a week, and while people say it seems to be a bit more organized this year, they're still down a person. It's also hard to do substantial media guide work (scanning pictures, etc) when you're on the road with a team.

If they had two more good people, I'd guess they'd have their guides out waaaaaaaay before anyone was calling for them. Although if I remember correctly, Cornell isn't the only school to have guides come out midseason. Not saying it's right, just not unique.

And yeah, I worked there (ask me how much fun it is to compile career stats from waterlogged statbooks) , so I am biased and naturally slightly protective of my old co-workers. But then again, I saw how hard they busted their asses.

Carry on...

Posted by: madhatter (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 01:24AM

Have to agree with jerseygirl ... those guys work extremely hard. Also, Jeremy Hartigan, the new SID appears to be ahead of last year's schedule in terms of media guide production, with most 04-05 guides coming out much sooner than their 03-04 counterparts. That includes the "lesser" sports, which -- despite the love and bias on this site -- deserve just as much coverage as men's ice hockey.

Date: December 08, 2004 01:31AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
No offense, Cornell, but a media guide that comes out halfway through the season ...? Ben Mintz, rest in peace. [/q]

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2004 09:55AM

No one is saying they don't work hard. A media guide halfway through the season is still not ok. Clearly they need more staff.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: December 20, 2004 03:02PM

The new media guide is on line.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 01:52PM

On my PCs, section six of the 2004-05 media guide, History and Records (P 47-70), returns a Page Not Found error. The other sections are all there. Anyone else have trouble getting section six?

Not to pile on the Cornell sports information people (what understaffed few there are), but too bad the online guide isn't in color (the printed one, if there is, could still be in B&W), and too bad there isn't a single download of the whole guide available. (None of the pages appeared to have a copyright notice; if that's the case some enterprising individual could merge it into a single ~20MB PDF and make it available elsewhere for download, albeit dragging down their bandwidth allocation).

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.nichd.nih.gov)
Date: December 22, 2004 02:12PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

On my PCs, section six of the 2004-05 media guide, History and Records (P 47-70), returns a Page Not Found error. The other sections are all there. Anyone else have trouble getting section six?

Not to pile on the Cornell sports information people (what understaffed few there are), but too bad the online guide isn't in color (the printed one, if there is, could still be in B&W), and too bad there isn't a single download of the whole guide available. (None of the pages appeared to have a copyright notice; if that's the case some enterprising individual could merge it into a single ~20MB PDF and make it available elsewhere for download, albeit dragging down their bandwidth allocation). [/q]

I had the same problem with section 6. The "h" is missing from the "http" at the beginning of the link. Also the (printed) media guide is in black and white with a color cover. At least it was for the last 2 years...

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: December 22, 2004 02:22PM

If I am not mistaken, the NCAA has a rule that only the covers of media guides can be in color. It's something about attempting to cut costs.

Date: December 22, 2004 02:32PM

[q](None of the pages appeared to have a copyright notice; if that's the case some enterprising individual could merge it into a single ~20MB PDF and make it available elsewhere for download, albeit dragging down their bandwidth allocation).[/q]Um, including a copyright notice has nothing to do with whether the document is copyrighted or not. Anything you write and don't explicitly put in the public domain is copyrighted. Now, whether Cornell would bother to put up a fight (they might) and could do anything more than shut you down if they did (they're giving away the document for free after all so there's no economic loss involved) is another story.

Date: December 22, 2004 02:54PM

That would be interesting, getting in trouble for helping distribute in better format something Cornell wants widely distributed. Somewhere some sportswriter who really wants the entire guide is going to be rip-roaring mad he or she has to make seven separate downloads, maybe more until part six gets to download.

If there's an NCAA rule allowing only the cover to be in color, that makes sense so long as it's a printed document. But if it's online .... wonder if news about this Internet thing has made it out to Indianapolis and NCAA HQ.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: December 22, 2004 03:15PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
(None of the pages appeared to have a copyright notice; if that's the case some enterprising individual could merge it into a single ~20MB PDF and make it available elsewhere for download, albeit dragging down their bandwidth allocation).[/Q]
Um, including a copyright notice has nothing to do with whether the document is copyrighted or not. Anything you write and don't explicitly put in the public domain is copyrighted. Now, whether Cornell would bother to put up a fight (they might) and could do anything more than shut you down if they did (they're giving away the document for free after all so there's no economic loss involved) is another story.[/q]I think it's safe to assume that the media guide is copyrighted, but there might be a pretty good fair use claim here, since there doesn't seem to be any economic benefit to the person who combined the PDFs or harm to Cornell.

I could be wrong though. I just took an exam and now I'm writing a paper, so my brain is pretty well fried right now.

Date: December 22, 2004 03:55PM

[q]I think it's safe to assume that the media guide is copyrighted, but there might be a pretty good fair use claim here, since there doesn't seem to be any economic benefit to the person who combined the PDFs or harm to Cornell. [/q]Wouldn't repackaging the entire document invalidate the fair use argument? I thought fair use allowed you reprint portions for commentary, criticism, review, etc. but not posting the entire thing. But I'm not a lawyer...

Date: December 22, 2004 04:18PM

Fair Use means you can reproduce an excerpt of the book to show the author was brilliant or deranged, and the author can't stop you even if you're his worst enemy. One paragraph excerpted in a 1,000-word review, no problem. Reproducing and commenting on the entire text, you got a problem. Even criticism (negative) tends to help sell the work.

But concatenating the seven separate PDFs into the complete guide, that's going to be on the far edge of what's permissible unless Cornell *really* wants you to pass it around. I suspect Cornell wants the guide to be downloaded off its site so it can track visitors and get the eyeballs looking at the adjacent ads, including that annoying Zamboni that runs across the screen.

Before JerseyGirl or someone else who's worked (recently) for the SID speaks up, I'm not saying people in sports information aren't horribly overworked or poorly paid or it hasn't been problematic with no SID for a while. It's something simpler: For whatever reason, the job isn't getting done in the way that benefits the media, meaning: a media guide comes out before the season, not a third of the way in ... media guides for minor Cornell sports should not appear before guides for the one where Cornell is a national contender ... it's available in one piece as well as in the current bite-size chunks ...

(This is sort of the Web version of 360-degree feedback, which I liken to being in the middle of a circular firing squad, except the bullets never hit anybody else except the guy in the middle. It's supposed to feel better being shot at by your peers.)

I'm not sure what the job of sports information is now because of the Web's ability to disntermediate (cut out) the media. Before you mailed a press release to the Syracuse Post-Standard and maybe it appeared five days later in the Kollege Korner column; now thousands can read the unabridged words online at cornellbigred.com. A hockey media guide that might go out to 250 sportswriters now is available to thousands of writers and to fans themselves. That's certainly progress.

Date: December 22, 2004 04:28PM

You are correct. To get section six of the 2004-05 guide, click on the link that's there and then edit the address bar to add in the missing h on http:// This takes you to section six

[www.collegesports.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: December 23, 2004 04:28PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Fair Use means you can reproduce an excerpt of the book to show the author was brilliant or deranged, and the author can't stop you even if you're his worst enemy. One paragraph excerpted in a 1,000-word review, no problem. Reproducing and commenting on the entire text, you got a problem. Even criticism (negative) tends to help sell the work.

But concatenating the seven separate PDFs into the complete guide, that's going to be on the far edge of what's permissible unless Cornell *really* wants you to pass it around. I suspect Cornell wants the guide to be downloaded off its site so it can track visitors and get the eyeballs looking at the adjacent ads, including that annoying Zamboni that runs across the screen. [/q]Fair use means more than just that. It also means that 2 Live Crew can sample "Oh, Pretty Woman", Alice Randall can write a scathing parody of "Gone With The Wind", and we can all buy VCRs.

The fact that criticism might help sell a work has nothing to do with it. You can also excerpt a book to give it an awful review and absolutely kill its sales and that's still fair use.

The fact that you'd be using the entire guide rather than only parts of it does weigh against a finding of fair use, though.

Date: December 23, 2004 05:42PM

[Q]Fair use ... also means that 2 Live Crew can sample "Oh, Pretty Woman", Alice Randall can write a scathing parody of "Gone With The Wind", and we can all buy VCRs.
[/q]

Rap music "sampling" - lifting someone else's music - I did not know was considered fair use. I thought that was still being litigated and the traditional musicians - the Roy Orbisons and Paul Simons whose work was being taken - did not consider it fair use and never would consider it fair use. Were you using that as a for-instance or are you saying that law has settled and rappers are having their way? I had the thought the opposite was happening, that not only were rappers liable for using recognizable snippets, but more recently a Circuit Court held that nearly unrecognizable snippets - though snippets where you could trace back and determine that it was taken from someone else - also were in violation.

One amazing quirk about music rights and piracy is that the music itself is being pirated left and right as file-shared MP3s, but not the lyrics. You can go online and see lyrics at fan sites, but never or almost never do you see lyrics attached to an MP3, and never when you buy it legally as a 99-cent download.

To me, lifting a 3- or 30-second clip of music to incorporate into your song, you owe the original singer/songwriter, even if you speed it up or slow it down or rap over it. Even if everyone's doing it.

On the VCR, the law there is clearer, crystal clear, in fact: The VCR has a legitmate use, recording of video including making tapes of your own camcorder efforts. The fact that it could be used for unlawful pursuits, such as making tapes of copyrighted materials and then those pirated tapes are sold on street corners, doesn't allow Hollywood to ban the VCR because of the possibility a legal device might also have some unlawful applications. If Hollywood had its way, every PC blank CD would have a 25-cent or $1 artist royalty attached in case we might, in addition to backing up our Lotus Notes NSF files and Word DOC files, make an archival copy of a Paul Simon CD.

The danger as I see it: The more money Hollywood gets, the more money they have to spend on drugs. I want to keep Hollywood no more drug-addled than the rest of America, which still gives them considerable leeway.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 05:54PM

Drug use is down in the last thirty years, and so is the quality of movies. The solution is clearly not less drugs but more drugs for Hollywood.

Date: December 23, 2004 06:04PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Drug use is down in the last thirty years, and so is the quality of movies. The solution is clearly not less drugs but more drugs for Hollywood.[/q]

George, the clarity of your vision on that one, I gotta admit, I stepped right into it. A good point: If it takes a truckload of cocaine to keep Hollywood creative, so be it. Maybe they die young, but there must be some glorious sex (mostly off camera) before they check out of the Hotel California.

I guess you can think of Hollywood, like say the NFL, as gladiators who perform for lots of money, at the risk of major and permanent damage to their bodies. So long as your kids don't get involved, okay.

Easy Rider, however, loses some zest thirty five years on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login