Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2005-06 Schedule

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2005-06 Schedule
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 02:45PM

The Wilkpedia entry on colonial colleges posted earlier makes it seem like all of these early schools were public/private hybrids in their early years. Not surprising given the times.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 04:24PM

There must be other public schools which appear private. SUNY-Binghmanton sometimes is called Harpur College (the arts school). Cal Berkeley often is called Berkeley.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: April 08, 2005 05:12PM

Sigh. Of all the people in this world, I wouldn't expect Cornell folks to make assumptions about schools based on their (ever-changing) names. There are loads of public institutions with names that "sound" private. In fact, this has become a bit of a trend, as many universities are trying to manipulate you by changing their names to give themselves l'essence du private. Examples: Memphis University (formerly Memphis State), Towson (formerly Towson State) and the University at Buffalo (gag ... formerly SUNY-Buffalo). This kills me -- it's almost as if they're ashamed of their home states.

It's even crazier with "______ Insitute of Technology" -- some are private, some are state.

Don't ever judge by the name. Look it up.

Here are just a few examples of "public yet private sounding."

Auburn
Bowling Green
The Citadel
Clemson
George Mason
James Madison
Kean
Marshall
Old Dominion
Radford
Rowan
Slippery Rock
Temple
William & Mary
William Paterson
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2005 05:15PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Re: Public yet private sounding
Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:02PM

Rutgers...sounds better than the state university of New Jersey
Kent...formerly, Kent State (which does not conjure the best image, if you know what I mean)

Date: April 08, 2005 06:04PM

[q]Cal Berkeley often is called Berkeley[/q]

Yeah, but that is just shorthand. It does not change the fact that the official name is "University of California, Berkeley."

Like Stanford, its official name reads "Leland Stanford Junior University." No, we are not a junior college. Just named after the junior (who died at age 15).

Re: Private yet public sounding
Date: April 08, 2005 06:23PM

I think most of us don't know that MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) is now a private university, but it was established, like Cornell, under the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862. So MIT was initially public, but then became private.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:42PM

[Q]CU at Stanford Wrote:
Kent...formerly, Kent State (which does not conjure the best image, if you know what I mean)[/q]

You mean, of course, canceling their hockey team. ;-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 07:14AM

I recently had a conversation about this same subject. The difference depends on where in the country you are.

In the midwest, X State U is the land grant school and generally has an Agriculture School. U of X is also a state school, but not land-grant. Wisconsin being the exception, as I don't believe there is a Wisconsin State U.

In the south, U of X was generally the white school. X State U was the black school. As in U of Alabama versus Alabama State.

Regarding Slippery Rock, up until the mid-80's all of the Pennsylvania Conference schools were called X State College, such as Slippery Rock State College or Kutztown State College. In the 80s they Changed to X University to sound better. That one is pure advertising.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 11:03AM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:
Here are just a few examples of "public yet private sounding."

Kean
Rowan
William Paterson[/q]I find it a bit strange that Rutgers has recently added "State" to their name, while a number of other public schools (Kean University, formerly Newark State University; The College of New Jersey, formerly Trenton State College; William Paterson University, formerly Paterson State College) have taken "State" out of their names. If I had to guess, I'd say Montclair State will eventually become Montclair University or some such.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.wdc2-4.15.98.102.wdc2.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 11:16AM

Actually, this is true maybe half the time in the Midwest: Without checking on all of them, states where the "State" university is the land grant/ag school institution:

Michigan, Ohio, Kansas, North Dakota

States where it isn't:

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri

Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.atgi.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 02:02PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

Actually, this is true maybe half the time in the Midwest: Without checking on all of them, states where the "State" university is the land grant/ag school institution:

States where it isn't:

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri[/q]

Add Illinois to the "states where it isn't" category. There is an Illinois State U., but U. of Illinois. Urbana-Champaign is the land grant school.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 02:10PM

As well as Connecticut. UConn is land-grant based and was Connecticut Agricultural College for a while. The Connecticut State University system (SCSU, CCSU, ECSU) I'm not too familiar with, but I doubt it was ever Ag-based.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 02:12PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

As well as Connecticut. UConn is land-grant based and was Connecticut Agricultural College for a while. The Connecticut State University system (SCSU, CCSU, ECSU) I'm not too familiar with, but I doubt it was ever Ag-based.[/q]

Started as state teachers colleges (e.g., New Haven State Teachers College became SCSU).

Date: April 10, 2005 07:30PM

One exception is the University of Pittsburgh (aka Pitt) which is public.

Date: April 10, 2005 07:39PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

One exception is the University of Pittsburgh (aka Pitt) which is public.[/q]

Scranton and Dayton, both Catholic.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: April 11, 2005 10:11AM

[Q]Dianne 99 Wrote:

ninian '72 Wrote:

States where it isn't:

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri[/Q]
Add Illinois to the "states where it isn't" category. There is an Illinois State U., but U. of Illinois. Urbana-Champaign is the land grant school.[/q]

We can also add Iowa to the list of states where "State" is a land grant school.

Posted by: dan (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2005 01:31PM

Has anyone confirmed this scheduale yet (The original post) Thanks.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 01:49PM

I'm also looking for confirmation that we will in fact be playing next April 8. :-D

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: April 11, 2005 01:57PM

[Q]dan Wrote:

Has anyone confirmed this scheduale yet (The original post) Thanks.[/q] Some of the travel pair contests are backwards. For some unknown reason, they are all listed in alphabetical order. Almost always one of a set of two games against a league opponent is on Friday and the other on Saturday. That is, once a team plays RPI on Friday and the other time they play Union on Friday.

Date: April 11, 2005 02:01PM

[q] Some of the travel pair contests are backwards. For some unknown reason, they are all listed in alphabetical order..[/q]Sounds like the weekends are right but the details of which game is which may not have been settled back in November when the original post went up.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 02:24PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Some of the travel pair contests are backwards. For some unknown reason, they are all listed in alphabetical order..[/Q]
Sounds like the weekends are right but the details of which game is which may not have been settled back in November when the original post went up. [/q]
Does this create the possibility that the Lynah East game could be on Friday? (pleasepleasepleaseplease) help

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 02:25PM

Mine (http://www.tbrw.info/2006/2006Schedule.html) adapted from here also has partnerships in alpha order. I have seen this in previous years. I think the league sets up the weekend pairings and then lets the teams fight it out for who plays who on which day.

Posted by: Andy (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 02:30PM

Does anyone else think it would have been nice to leave the ECAC at 11 teams, and give us two more open dates to improve the all-important strength of schedule? I mean we can schedule better games than home and away with quinnipiac (I hope).

Date: April 11, 2005 02:38PM

While two more non-conf games might be nice, having an 11 team league would totally destroy the elegance of the ECAC travel partner system. You'd either have to scrap it entirely (a dismal prospect) or deal with the whining of the one team who didn't have a partner and had to play two teams every weekend while their opponents played one. We have experience to show that Bob Gaudet would whine about this.

BTW - don't be too surprised if Q ends up being decent in a few years once they get to full scholarships. I'm not saying national top 10 or even challenging for the top of the league. But they should do better over the long haul than the last entrant to the league has.

Date: April 11, 2005 02:51PM

[Q]Andy Wrote:

Does anyone else think it would have been nice to leave the ECAC at 11 teams[/q]

No. :-)

Date: April 11, 2005 02:56PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Mine (http://www.tbrw.info/2006/2006Schedule.html) adapted from here also has partnerships in alpha order. I have seen this in previous years. I think the league sets up the weekend pairings and then lets the teams fight it out for who plays who on which day.[/q]

I received a complete ECAC schedule by email back in January (except for the games between travel partners [e.g., Cornell vs Colgate]). I suspect it is correct. It's a PDF file. Is there a way to post it?

Date: April 11, 2005 02:58PM

The problem isn't a lack of NC dates. Cornell had 7 NC dates to play with this year and included Army, Sacred Heart, and Canisius on their schedule.

The problem is that, for reasons gone into ad infinitum on other threads, we can't get reciprocal agreements with strong teams. Strong teams tend to have huge buildings, sacrificing a game date to travel to Ithaca costs them a lot of cash. So there is no reason to believe this will ever change.

A (perhaps the only) way out would be for Mike to schedule one-way road trips to hostile barns. Is this a good idea? On the one hand, Cornell would likely lose a disproportionate number of those road games, which would hurt their PWR. On the other hand, they would gain a lot of experience playing tough opponents under the worst possible conditions, which could only help them come NCAA time, unless it eroded their confidence.

Date: April 11, 2005 02:58PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

Some of the travel pair contests are backwards. For some unknown reason, they are all listed in alphabetical order..[/Q]
Sounds like the weekends are right but the details of which game is which may not have been settled back in November when the original post went up. [/Q]
Does this create the possibility that the Lynah East game could be on Friday? (pleasepleasepleaseplease)[/q] Yes, it is on Friday 11/11.

Date: April 11, 2005 02:59PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:

I received a complete ECAC schedule by email back in January (except for the games between travel partners ). I suspect it is correct. It's a PDF file. Is there a way to post it?[/q]

You mean this?: [www.tbrw.info]

Date: April 11, 2005 03:01PM

Crap, pdf files won't post at my office. Somebody tell me if that worked.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: April 11, 2005 03:09PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Crap, pdf files won't post at my office. Somebody tell me if that worked.[/q]

Yes, it did. Can you incorporate the Fri/Sat info into your Cornell schedule?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 11, 2005 03:10PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Yes, it did. Can you incorporate the Fri/Sat info into your Cornell schedule?[/q]
Yep. I should have already. I am suck.

Florida Tournament
Date: April 11, 2005 03:11PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:
Fri Dec-30 Florida
Sat Dec-31 Florida
[/q]

Maine, tUMD, and Northeastern all apparently have the Florida tournament as Dec 29-30 on their schedules.

ETA: if they stick to the pattern, we're due to play Maine in the first round.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2005 03:13PM by jtwcornell91.

Date: April 11, 2005 03:25PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

Sounds like the weekends are right but the details of which game is which may not have been settled back in November when the original post went up. [/Q]
Does this create the possibility that the Lynah East game could be on Friday? (pleasepleasepleaseplease)[/Q]
Yes, it is on Friday 11/11.

[/q]

Aw, geez, that means Harvard is Senior Night. My head may explode.

Date: April 11, 2005 05:11PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

One exception is the University of Pittsburgh (aka Pitt) which is public.[/Q]
Scranton and Dayton, both Catholic.[/q]

I grew up a half a block from the U of Scranton. VERY Catholic.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 11:31AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
The problem is that, for reasons gone into ad infinitum on other threads, we can't get reciprocal agreements with strong teams. Strong teams tend to have huge buildings, sacrificing a game date to travel to Ithaca costs them a lot of cash. So there is no reason to believe this will ever change.[/q]On the other hand, there are some traditionally strong teams that will travel. In the last three years, Denver has played at Northeastern on two separate occasions; CC has played at Clarkson; UND has played at Northeastern, Yale and Princeton; UMD has played at Union and RPI. Plenty of Western teams will come East (although you're not likely to pull in Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin).

Therefore, the alternate explanation I choose to accept is that they're afraid to play at Lynah. :-D

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 12:27PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:
The problem is that, for reasons gone into ad infinitum on other threads, we can't get reciprocal agreements with strong teams. Strong teams tend to have huge buildings, sacrificing a game date to travel to Ithaca costs them a lot of cash. So there is no reason to believe this will ever change.[/Q]
On the other hand, there are some traditionally strong teams that will travel. In the last three years, Denver has played at Northeastern on two separate occasions; CC has played at Clarkson; UND has played at Northeastern, Yale and Princeton; UMD has played at Union and RPI. Plenty of Western teams will come East (although you're not likely to pull in Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin).

Therefore, the alternate explanation I choose to accept is that they're afraid to play at Lynah. [/q]

Almost right. I think the alternate explanation is that they appear to be afraid to come east and play genuinely good teams that aren't the Hockey East Big Four. (Denver and North Dakota visited BC and Minnesota visited BU this season.) Let's face it, Northeastern, Clarkson, Yale, Princeton, Union, and RPI haven't had the best seasons these past few years. They're probably safe bets for easy cupcake wins, while teams like Cornell and Harvard and whatever Hockey East Non-Big-Four team is doing well in a particular year (this year it was UMass-Lowell, who went unbeaten in nonconference play for the season) are actually likely to put up a fight. So, yeah, they're probably afraid to play at Lynah, but they're probably afraid to play at Bright as well (as silly a proposition as that seems in most years :-P).

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: April 12, 2005 01:15PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

jmh30 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:
The problem is that, for reasons gone into ad infinitum on other threads, we can't get reciprocal agreements with strong teams. Strong teams tend to have huge buildings, sacrificing a game date to travel to Ithaca costs them a lot of cash. So there is no reason to believe this will ever change.[/Q]
On the other hand, there are some traditionally strong teams that will travel. In the last three years, Denver has played at Northeastern on two separate occasions; CC has played at Clarkson; UND has played at Northeastern, Yale and Princeton; UMD has played at Union and RPI. Plenty of Western teams will come East (although you're not likely to pull in Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin).

Therefore, the alternate explanation I choose to accept is that they're afraid to play at Lynah. [/Q]
Almost right. I think the alternate explanation is that they appear to be afraid to come east and play genuinely good teams that aren't the Hockey East Big Four. (Denver and North Dakota visited BC and Minnesota visited BU this season.) Let's face it, Northeastern, Clarkson, Yale, Princeton, Union, and RPI haven't had the best seasons these past few years. They're probably safe bets for easy cupcake wins, while teams like Cornell and Harvard and whatever Hockey East Non-Big-Four team is doing well in a particular year (this year it was UMass-Lowell, who went unbeaten in nonconference play for the season) are actually likely to put up a fight. So, yeah, they're probably afraid to play at Lynah, but they're probably afraid to play at Bright as well (as silly a proposition as that seems in most years ).[/q]

Is this known or is it speculation? Has Cornell seriously attempted to schedule a 2-and-2 with Minny or UND or Denver? Did Clarkson, Union, etc have to schedule 2-and-4 with CC? At this stage of Cornell's program development I'd take a 2a-2h-2a with an elite program (if that's the best I could do), especially if they'd agree to pay associated travel costs and agree to return the favor if Cornell splits the 4 away games (is that too much like betting?). Or, if money's really the issue, what if it was a 2-2-2-2 deal and one of Cornell's home games gets played in either Rochester's BCA or Buffalo's HSBC, with some of the extra gate going back to the other school.

I just think Cornell has more to gain from playing the premier programs than those programs have to lose by playing at Lynah. A Minny loss at Lynah wouldn't necessarily hurt their season, nor would a win help them any more than one at UND would, given the schedule they usually play. On the other hand, Cornell coming into Mariucci and potentially winning or playing the Gophers even in front of all those great HS hockey players, and media, and powers that rule the icy universe...well, what if that actually got people thinking Cornell can really play with the big boys. :`( What would be next, would one of those eastern pretenders actually expect to win a Hobey? rolleyes

Date: April 12, 2005 01:43PM

I'm sure the fact that Cornell can't play hockey games in October makes it very hard to schedule WCHA teams, even if they were willing to come to Lynah. I would expect to play some games against MTU (Jamie Russell) at some point if their schedule weren't largely filled with non-conf games against archrival NMU.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 05:03AM

In Schafer's interview w/ Age, Schafer explicitly states that the need to bring money into the program is one of the main factors behind his insistence on reciprocal scheduling. I don't know what governs whether the visiting team gets any of the take in a college hockey game, but it does not appear that hockey has the same "will travel for a big check" that you see in college football, where obscure teams sacrifice themselves to big schools -- I'm looking at you, Nebraska -- in order to finance their entire season plus the music department.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 09:13AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote: In Schafer's interview w/ Age, Schafer explicitly states that the need to bring money into the program is one of the main factors behind his insistence on reciprocal scheduling. I don't know what governs whether the visiting team gets any of the take in a college hockey game, but it does not appear that hockey has the same "will travel for a big check" that you see in college football, where obscure teams sacrifice themselves to big schools -- I'm looking at you, Nebraska -- in order to finance their entire season plus the music department.[/q]Being cannon fodder for a name opponent at their facility keeps small programs going. But there's less revenue potential in hockey than in football or basketball, which have bigger arenas, higher ticket prices, and TV revenue. And there's less potential for a name school already filling the arena at home as Cornell does. Consider Cornell playing hockey vs. playing football at Michigan State (well, we did play football at Stanford a few years back).

Visitor playing at Michigan State
SPORT	HOCKEY	FOOTBALL
SEATS	6,170  	72,027
PRICE	$8-$18	$41 (mostly)-$70 
REVENUE	$70,040	$2,953,107
(Potential revenue total gate is WAG based on full house, $12/hockey seat (blended average), $41/football seat) 
But the visitor may negotiate a fixed amount and it's not an equal amount to what the host holds on to. So even with Lynah's capacity of 3836 and a blended ticket price of, what, $10 a seat, there's probably more money in it for Cornell to play at home than to go on the road to a 6,000- or 10,000-seat arena. And there's a lot less money in it for a big-arena school to come to Ithaca. Plus there's a good chance they'll come out without a win. Much as it would be great to get a rotating schedule of Michigan, North Dakota, Denver, etcetera, we're doing pretty well getting Michigan State instead of a (no offense but they don't have quite the cachet) Western Michigan or Ferris State. It's possible Mike Schafer is doing this for the quaintest of reasons - for the good of college hockey.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 01:27PM

After a few years of getting indignant about these scheduling issues, I am beginning to believe that they are here to stay. To insist upon complete equality in the face of obvious structural differences (i.e., big arenas, statewide fan bases, and money) seems a bit idealistic.

Still, a "gentlemen's agreement" across college hockey could help things. Why not agree that teams should not prostitute themselves in "one and done" arrangements? Instead, a 2-1 ratio (or 3-2, or whatever--debatable) should become the minimum agreement. Sure, this situation will still screw the small, AHA-type schools, but money differentials always end up with somebody getting screwed.

Basically, you have to make sure that schools aren't undercutting each other with their whorishness. For every Canisius (which insisted that North Dakota travel to Buffalo at some point, it seems) there is a St. Lawrence. (Not that Marsh is a bad guy, but his team has seemed to be whoring itself out more than normal the last few years.) Teams should not be able to just stay home and eat cupcakes.

So, the question becomes, is it worth it? I think, in our case, that we should be happy with what we've got. Michigan State is a good get, and, if we can continue to get everyone but the absolute majors (Michigans, Minnesotas, Wisconsins), we should be happy. The tournament in Florida seems to be a real asset in periodically getting good teams to come to Lynah. Myself, I'd just like to see a bit of variation. It seemed like a bit too much of Maine, Ohio State, Western, and Ferris for a while. As I said, Michigan State is a step in the right direction.

Teams I'd like to see in Lynah, knowing we can't get the majors to come:

CC and Denver (home and home with Colgate to share the plane charter)
Michigan Tech (though they have about 1 NC game outside of the Northern Mich series)
Providence (whom we haven't played at Lynah in ages)
Northeastern (ditto)
Nebraska-Omaha (their fans would probably travel)

And shame Parker into making the trip again. Maybe his boys won't get destroyed this time. :-D

Date: April 13, 2005 01:38PM

A suggestion. If there were factors in the various components of PWR that take into account where the games are played, then the Minnesotas and Michigans of the world might be more inclined to travel. That is, if they gain more by beating an opponent on the road (and lose more by losing at home), they would be more likely to travel. The factors should be even larger than what is necessary to take account for the historical difference between home and away winning percentages.

There already is such a factor in the quality-win part of RPI. Of course, we don't know what those percentages are.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: April 13, 2005 01:42PM

Going back to a point Schafer brought up in the interview is the issue of finding time to schedule opponents...and so that opponents aren't conflicted by their own schedule. If we look at this year's schedule, there are only 3 weekends we can schedule non-conference games. Those are currently filled with Michigan State, Niagara and RIT. Since Cornell can't play any games in October, tries to avoid playing games during exams and then has the ECAC schedule the rest of the time, they're very limited.

Looking at this year's schedule, the following schools were playing league games.

On the Army and Sacred Heart weekend:

6 out of 10 WCHA
10 out of 12 CCHA
4 out of 9 HE

On the Michigan State weekend:

8 out of 10 WCHA
6/8 out of 12 CCHA
9 out of 9 HE

On the Cansius weekend:

4 out of 10 WCHA
6 out of 12 CCHA
2 out of 9 HE

Right there, you limit the number of teams you can play. Of course, schedules change from year to year, so eventually we should be able to fit different teams in.

Date: April 13, 2005 01:50PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:

A suggestion. If there were factors in the various components of PWR that take into account where the games are played, then the Minnesotas and Michigans of the world might be more inclined to travel. That is, if they gain more by beating an opponent on the road (and lose more by losing at home), they would be more likely to travel. The factors should be even larger than what is necessary to take account for the historical difference between home and away winning percentages.

There already is such a factor in the quality-win part of RPI. Of course, we don't know what those percentages are.[/q]

Yeah, but the quality-win hack is a hack. There's a seamless way to do this by using KASA rather than KRACH:

[www.uscho.com]

Date: April 13, 2005 01:57PM

The issue of free weekends is a big deal, obviously. The easiest solution is to have the Ivy Presidents relax the restriction on the start date for Ivy winter sports. Ain't gonna happen, unless Lehman is as big of a hockey fan as Greg or Age and can crosscheck the others into agreeing (or at least a hockey exemption). One other option that's within the jurisdiction of the ECAC itself is to shorten the playoffs. Get rid of the first round (bottom four miss the playoffs) and move the ECAC stretch drive to one week later. That opens up another week for non-conf scheduling. This ain't going to happen either because I'm inclined to think that the ECAC schools are every bit as much money whores (and thus unwilling to give up playoff money) as the Big Ten schools just with less leverage.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 13, 2005 02:05PM

Not only won't it happen for money reasons, but if it did I'm sure they would put it back to a 10 team playoff with a final 5 (ala the Lake Placid years or the WCHA) or a 12 team playoff with a final 6 (ala the CCHA) :: shudder ::

Plus, the bye round is also a hidden "RPI protector", so that #1 doesn't need to play two more games against #10 or #12. This doesn't matter as much since they added the postseason RPI protection to the definition of RPI, but it's still better to play a #8 that can *raise* your RPI a bit, then guarantee that it can't do any better than stay the same. Not only that, but by the time you face a #8, or even a #12, they've added two more wins to their record, for teams that have had has 2 to 10 wins all year long, this is a definite improvement to their RPI, and even more so to their all important RPIStrength.

Date: April 13, 2005 02:18PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

ursaminor Wrote:

There already is such a factor in the quality-win part of RPI. Of course, we don't know what those percentages are.[/Q]
Yeah, but the quality-win hack is a hack. There's a seamless way to do this by using KASA rather than KRACH:[/q]

John,
I realize that KASA can take that into account seamlessly. I just think that it is more likely that the NCAA would put a further seam into the PWR than adopt an entirely different system.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: April 13, 2005 02:54PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

[ Did Clarkson, Union, etc have to schedule 2-and-4 with CC? ]

We had a 2 and 2 with Ohio State that they repaid by coming to Cheel last year.
We has a 2 and 2 with Niagara that we must repay by visiting them 2x this year.
We also had 1 and 1's with Providence and Umass Amherst that they are repaying by visiting us this year.

Next year, we have 1 and 1's visiting BGSU and Miami (Ohio)

also the UVM Tourney,----- Bemidji, UVM, Dartmouth.

Drew

Date: April 13, 2005 05:03PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

One other option that's within the jurisdiction of the ECAC itself is to shorten the playoffs. Get rid of the first round (bottom four miss the playoffs) and move the ECAC stretch drive to one week later. That opens up another week for non-conf scheduling. [/q]
That would be too much to wish for. Make the end of the regular season more interesting in the league's lower division (the upper division is already competitive jockeying for home ice) and free up an early-season weekend to boot. Too logical to happen.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login