Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Majors for piddly shit

Posted by beanmaestro 
Majors for piddly shit
Posted by: beanmaestro (---.ece.ucsb.edu)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:40PM

It's hard to tell listening to the radio, but it seems like there are a lot more major penalties being called lately. Are people bleeding a lot more, or are the refs just handing out majors for what should be minor infractions? is this a less advertised part of the "crackdown"?

Re: Majors for piddly shit
Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:47PM

Both of today's were for hitting from behind. Presumably they were close to the boards, making them a quite dangerous situation. That was the case earlier in the season.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:48PM

hockey's supposed to be dangerous

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:57PM

"This isn't figure skating, it's hockey."
--Steve Moore

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 10:03PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

hockey's supposed to be dangerous[/q]But hitting from behind, into the boards, should not be done. Fractured necks, and quadraplegia, is not good for the fracturer or fracturee. screwy

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:14PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

--Steve Moore[/q]

Tell that to the BU player who was paralyzed on his first varsity shift at BU.

Posted by: TShen (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:51PM

At least, the officiating was consistent for both majors. The UVM radio guys describes both as similar unintentional "hits from behind." It sounds like any contact from behind will be called the same way.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2004 01:11AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

--Steve Moore[/Q]
Tell that to the BU player who was paralyzed on his first varsity shift at BU. [/q]
It was quoted for its irony. Surely we haven't forgotten the Steve Moore incident already?

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 04:01AM

The refs are supposed to be calling the game by the book. Any hit from behind into the boards is a major plus game or DQ. Period. It sucks when it's unintentional, especially when it costs your team a point (Moulson tonight - the major essentially led to both goals). But that's the rule and for good reason.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2004 08:40AM

According to collegehockeystats.com both majors tonight were only misconducts. The USCHO recap calls Moulson's a DQ. I really wish they would learn to keep the two straight. When there's a hooking call, they don't misreport it as a tripping call (or maybe they do and I'm just not paying attention).

[www.collegehockeystats.com]

Posted by: DL (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 08:49AM

Anybody else having this error popup when viewing page 2 of the UVM game?

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '<' in /var/www/html/elf/mods/bbcode/bbcode.php(105) : regexp code on line 1

Fatal error: Failed evaluating code: stone3law@aol.com in /var/www/html/elf/mods/bbcode/bbcode.php on line 105

Posted by: AJGD '04 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2004 08:55AM

yep

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.syracuse-09-10rs.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 10:22AM

At the game it was announced that Moulson's major was a DQ.
For the record, I saw both plays clearly and they both warranted majors and misconducts. Moulson's was worse and was an exact replica of the hit from behind he got thrown out for against Colgate last season. And quite clearly that was the turning point of the game. Cornell was superior team in every respect although that was the best Vermont team I've seen since the days of St. Louis and Perrin.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 03:51PM

So did Moulson get a gamer? Is he suspended tonight?

I'm pretty sure they said the Vermont player got the gate.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: November 20, 2004 04:05PM

What exactly do you think you mean by "gamer" and "got the gate?" For the umpteenth time this season, the two penalties are called:

Game Misconduct: you get 10 min in penalties added to your stats and cannot return to the current game.

Game Disqualification: you get 10 minutes added to your stats, cannot return to the current game, and are suspended for the next game*

Both of these penalties have the word "game" in them, so what is a "gamer?" In both cases, you "get the gate" from the current game. Totally useless and misleading terms.

*for your second DQ of the season, you're suspended for the next two games, 3 game suspension for the 3rd DQ, etc.

I'm positive that I heard Moulson's penalty read over the Gutterson PA as a misconduct, that's what the UVM broadcasters reported, so I believe that Moulson will play tonight.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 05:36PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

What exactly do you think you mean by "gamer" and "got the gate?" For the umpteenth time this season, the two penalties are called:

Game Misconduct: you get 10 min in penalties added to your stats and cannot return to the current game.

Game Disqualification: you get 10 minutes added to your stats, cannot return to the current game, and are suspended for the next game*

Both of these penalties have the word "game" in them, so what is a "gamer?" In both cases, you "get the gate" from the current game. Totally useless and misleading terms.

*for your second DQ of the season, you're suspended for the next two games, 3 game suspension for the 3rd DQ, etc.

I'm positive that I heard Moulson's penalty read over the Gutterson PA as a misconduct, that's what the UVM broadcasters reported, so I believe that Moulson will play tonight.[/q]

My bad... didn't realize that game misconduct and game DQ were two different penalties.

In any event, you answered my question.

Posted by: Molly (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 06:55PM

It seems like it was a DQ--Moulson's not playing tonight.
(from Dartmouth audio feed)

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2004 07:03PM

"Game misconduct" and "game disqualification" are two different penalties.

I distinctly heard the Moulson penalty announced as as "game disqualification" over the radio last night. Yet it was apparently recorded as a "game misconduct" on at least one web site.

The league, and the NCAA, have a communication problem they have to solve. The penalty called by the official is apparently not being adequately communicated to the arena and the college hockey community. I don't know whether the problem originates with the officials, the scorekeepers, the announcers, or whatever, but it's got to be corrected.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 02:11AM

"Game disqualification" needs to have a clearer name, such as "next-game disqualification." "Game DQ" by itself could be read to mean DQ for the current game or the next game. Clearly it's not clear or we'd not be having these questions pop up. You'll notice the game reports on USCHO.com or cornellbigred.com don't excactly go into detail.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:59AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

"Game disqualification" needs to have a clearer name, such as "next-game disqualification." "Game DQ" by itself could be read to mean DQ for the current game or the next game. Clearly it's not clear or we'd not be having these questions pop up. You'll notice the game reports on USCHO.com or cornellbigred.com don't excactly go into detail. [/q]

There are two different names for two different penalties: game disqualification and game misconduct. Is it too much to ask that those who cover the game for a living know the difference?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: November 22, 2004 11:18AM

I noticed this in The Sun this morning:

[Q] The backbreaking call came against Moulson just over a minute into the period, when he received a game misconduct and a five-minute major for hitting from behind. [/Q]

Definitely lots of confusion across the board on the names of these two penalties.

[www.cornellsun.com]

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (146.203.128.---)
Date: November 22, 2004 03:00PM

[Q]Bio '04 Wrote:

I noticed this in The Sun this morning:

The backbreaking call came against Moulson just over a minute into the period, when he received a game misconduct and a five-minute major for hitting from behind. [/Q]
Definitely lots of confusion across the board on the names of these two penalties.[/q]

Certainly. I covered the sport for a year and I didn't realize there were two penalties until just now.

From what I remember, though, I never actually heard a "game misconduct" penalty assessed. So I always thought that "game disqualification" was the NCAA equivalent of an NHL game misconduct, and it also happened to have a one-game suspension attached to it.

I guess often enough, when a ref decides something is severe enough to warrant ejection, it's also enough for a suspension. Although I'd like to see actual numbers -- which penalty is called more often, and how often does the box score correlate with whether a suspension was served.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2004 03:59PM

Since the '99-2000 season (including exhibitions):

Game DQ (both teams): 26
Game DQ (Cornell): 13
Called accompanying majors for Fighting, Spearing, Leaving the Bench, Kneeing, Clipping, Punching*, Excessive Roughness, Hitting From Behind

Game Misconduct (both teams): 15
Game Misconduct (Cornell): 9
Called accompanying majors for Hitting From Behind, Checking From Behind, minors for Roughing*, or no accompanying penalty at all

* Interestingly Hornby got 5m for Punching + 10m DQ while Jamie Sifers got 2m Roughing + 10m Misconduct + 10m Game Misconduct

Date: November 22, 2004 04:35PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Since the '99-2000 season (including exhibitions):

Game DQ (both teams): 26
Game DQ (Cornell): 13
Called accompanying majors for Fighting, Spearing, Leaving the Bench, Kneeing, Clipping, Punching*, Excessive Roughness, Hitting From Behind

Game Misconduct (both teams): 15
Game Misconduct (Cornell): 9
Called accompanying majors for Hitting From Behind, Checking From Behind, minors for Roughing*, or no accompanying penalty at all

* Interestingly Hornby got 5m for Punching + 10m DQ while Jamie Sifers got 2m Roughing + 10m Misconduct + 10m Game Misconduct[/q]

But can you be sure that each time the box score shows a DQ, there was an associated suspension, and that each misconduct doesn't have one?

Date: November 22, 2004 04:39PM

Yes, because that's what they mean.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 22, 2004 04:40PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

* Interestingly Hornby got 5m for Punching + 10m DQ while Jamie Sifers got 2m Roughing + 10m Misconduct + 10m Game Misconduct[/q]

Reputation? Instigation?

Date: November 22, 2004 04:45PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Yes, because that's what they mean.[/q]

I understand that. But if mistakes have been made on collegehockeystats.com, perhaps similar mistakes show up in the box scores.

Then again, if anyone has accurate stats, it's you, Age.

Date: November 22, 2004 04:54PM

I'm sure if it's intended to be a DQ, the player won't be dressed in the next game. In this case, they announced a DQ at the game, so I'm not sure where the communication breakdown happened. CHS either just got it wrong it it was wrong on the official box score. At any rate, Schafer was very clear that it was a DQ since he waited for the refs to get off the ice to give them several pieces of his mind about it.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:19PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

I'm sure if it's intended to be a DQ, the player won't be dressed in the next game. In this case, they announced a DQ at the game, so I'm not sure where the communication breakdown happened. CHS either just got it wrong it it was wrong on the official box score. At any rate, Schafer was very clear that it was a DQ since he waited for the refs to get off the ice to give them several pieces of his mind about it.[/q]

I saw him waiting for the refs too and I just couldn't believe it. I thought it's consistency that Schafer and all the coaches wanted. Well the Vermont player got thrown out for a less severe hit from behind earlier in the game, so how were the refs not going to assess a severe penalty to Moulson for the same thing?
I was thinking that maybe Schafer waiting to talk to the refs because there was a Vermont player in the crease on the first goal.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:55PM

[q]I saw him waiting for the refs too and I just couldn't believe it. I thought it's consistency that Schafer and all the coaches wanted. Well the Vermont player got thrown out for a less severe hit from behind earlier in the game, so how were the refs not going to assess a severe penalty to Moulson for the same thing? [/q]The Vermont player received only a game misconduct, not a disqualification. Schafer could have been complaining that the refs decided to suspend one of his best players for a game while not giving the same penalty to Vermont. That wouldn't be asking for differential treatment. Of course, I have no idea what Schafer actually said.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 09:28PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

CowbellGuy Wrote:

* Interestingly Hornby got 5m for Punching + 10m DQ while Jamie Sifers got 2m Roughing + 10m Misconduct + 10m Game Misconduct[/Q]
Reputation? Instigation?

[/q]
I'd guess that the second misconduct on Sifers was for mouthing off to the ref after the first round of penalties was assesed, or something else that he did after the brouhaha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login