Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Who stole whose cheers?

Posted by A-19 
Who stole whose cheers?
Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 02:12AM

So I know that Michigan essentially took most of Cornell's cheers, dating back to a big road trip out there in the early 1990s (and since then, Michigan has vulgarized many of the cheers to the degree that they would not be allowed back in Lynah).

I also know that any team with fans persists in "Sieve," some version of "It's all your fault," and "ooooooooooooooh seeya..."

And just tonight after i criticized the harvard band for "stealing" our black hole cheer, i was informed on the Forum that we actually took that from them way back when.

So my question is, with so much in the realm of the public domain now, what of the things we say (and others say) can the Faithful lay claim to as our creation? the alum perspective could be pretty valuable here.

-mike '04

Re: Who stole whose cheers?
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 02:18AM

Wow, after being caught up in work all night, I just noticed that Harvard BEAT BC. Huge upset. That ECAC is sure doing well this year against non-conference opponents. On two occasions has an ECAC team not considered in the top eschelon defeated the standing #1 ranked team in the NCAA.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 07:40AM

Nothing belongs to anybody -- it's all a product of the college hockey zeitgeist. ;-)

Seriously, we'll probably never know about most cheers, and it hardly matters. The only cheer I'm 100% sure we invented was "Fight... maim... kill!," only because I was present at its birth. Presumably "Screw BU!... X Too!" was a Cornell invention. The player-specific cheers are a pretty good bet, too: "Hey Bâby," and "Saaaaaaaaaaaaancimino!"

My advice is, claim everything, with a straight face. :-D

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 08:22AM

OK, here's what I know...

"Winning team...Losing team" was stolen by Mike Wapner '82 from North Dakota after the 1980 NCAA Final Four in Providence. Up until that point, we sang "Na Na, Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye" during the last minute.

They were already doing "Screw BU" when I arrived in 1978. So was everybody else in the ECAC. The "X too" part was added by Pete Manos '80, Roy Kornbluh '82, and myself (as well as a few drunken others who I never knew) during the 1980 ECAC tournament.

I stole the "newspapers during introductions" from the fans of the University of Scranton basketball team who used to hold newspapers up when their opponents shot free throws. Throwing them on the ice after the intros just evolved.

I can add that after a goal we counted the goals, yelled "we want more" and then "sieve" ad infinitum. Occasionally someone would throw a kitchen strainer on the ice. I'm not sure when "it's all your fault" was added, but I know we were doing that by the mid-90's.

On an opposition penalty, all we said was "You! You! You! You!" ad infinitum. Not too creative.

Bottom line: Very few cheers are original.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 08:43AM

"Saannnnciminooooo!" was an adaptation of some friends of mine who started out yelling "Zinnngooo!" at football games (Zingo was a linebacker who set a Cornell record for tackles). They had a "Zingo-meter" to track his tackles, the works.

My guess is that "The refs f sheep" is a Lynah original, for better or worse. I went out to Lawson Arena for the WMU/ND game last Saturday, and heard several familiar refrains - I'm blind, I'm def, I wanna be a ref, etc. Two new ones on me were "F the Irish (clap-clap-clapclapclap)" and "Kill the Catholics (clap-clap-clapclapclap)." We were wondering what WMU's goalie (named Bellissimo) thought of that last one...

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:01AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Nothing belongs to anybody -- it's all a product of the college hockey zeitgeist.

Seriously, we'll probably never know about most cheers, and it hardly matters. The only cheer I'm 100% sure we invented was "Fight... maim... kill!," only because I was present at its birth. Presumably "Screw BU!... X Too!" was a Cornell invention. The player-specific cheers are a pretty good bet, too: "Hey Bâby," and "Saaaaaaaaaaaaancimino!"

My advice is, claim everything, with a straight face. [/q]

"[TEAM] Sucks" is the exclusive property of Greg Berge. Also, the "Stars at Night"/Dave McKee chant was invented by the great fans at Alaska-Anchorage in the late 1970s.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2004 09:03AM by Facetimer.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:06AM

The "Screw BU" music was first heard by me from the BC band, with the words "Go BC." Other schools, particularly BU, began to use it a lot, and we turned it into "Screw BU" by the '71-72 season, perhaps a few years earlier. Wisconsin fans get credit for the first known use of "x too" in '72 NCAA's. The BU band would play, the Cornell fans (joined by Wisconsin fans who quickly caught on) would go "Screw BU" and then the Wisconsin fans would add "Cornell too."

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:11AM

the screw BU music is michigan's fight song, "let's go blue", isn't it

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:40AM

I believe the provenance for Cornell's base version of the post-goal "sieve, sieve, sieve" taunt also traces back to Wisconsin fans ... perhaps at the '72 Final Four?

I think it's safe to say that Wisconsin's fans are the Typhoid Maries for much of what NCAA hockey followers consider standard crowd-participation behavior.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 10:06AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

the screw BU music is michigan's fight song, "let's go blue", isn't it[/q]

Well, Michigan certainly has a cheer that uses that tune (as do Colgate and Penn football) but it's not their fight song. Go to a game involving Michigan and you'll have "Hail to the Victors" seared into your aural memory.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 10:09AM

Before laying claim to originality, definitely see if Wisconisn had it first. Their fans are legend. When Wisonsin made the NCAA final in Boston 1972, it seems as if dozens and dozens of charter buses loaded with red-shirted Badger fans descended on Boston Garden. And they probably spend time on those reds and at other times dreaming up more and better cheers, and insults.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: November 17, 2004 10:15AM

The Michigan fight song is "The Victors." (They have a better one called Varsity that I wish they would use more often.) Anyhow, yes, Michigan uses the same tune with "Let's Go Blue." More from what appears to be an Ohio State-related site:

"Although disputed by the Wisconsin band, the earliest appearance of the "Let's Go ___" or "Go ___" cheer was at Michigan, where it's known as "Let's Go Blue." It was arranged by Joe Carl, a tuba player from 1973 to 1976, and Albert Ahronheim, a drum major from 1972 to 1974. It originated as a cheer at Michigan hockey games before it came into use during the football season. (The Wisconsin band site says THEY were the first to use it, and Michigan stole it from them. Therefore, the Wisconsin band no longer plays it.)"

Take the dates with a grain of salt. It was being used at football games in its current form in 1972. I never heard Wisconsin play it when I was at Michigan in the '70's, but they played their version of the "Bud" song a lot.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2004 10:33AM by ninian '72.

Date: November 17, 2004 11:22AM

Yes, the first time I heard a goalie referred to as a "sieve" was by Wisconsin fans in '72. They did it in a much slower (and in my opinion more effectve) cadence.

Posted by: Pace (---)
Date: November 17, 2004 11:35AM

Is the "Ruff 'em up, ruff 'em up, go CU!" our invention?

Posted by: rstott (128.164.243.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 11:52AM

I’m almost certain the “sieve” was used by the about 100 or so Wisconsin fans who made their way to Lake Placid in 1970. Some even had sieves on poles they would dangle over the ice as they chanted. I don't really remember if the Cornell fans picked it up then or after the still-painful-in-my-memory NCAAs in 73.

Yes, it’s now chanted too much too fast. As is counting up after the goals. In the late 1970s the count was slow and devastating – “O-N-E, T-W-O, T-H-R-E-E, F-O-U-R, F-I-V-E, WE WANT M-O-R-E!”

Date: November 17, 2004 12:39PM

Correcting my earlier post, it certainly could have been '70 when I first heard "sieve" from those 100 Wisconsin crazies. By '72 and then '73 their ranks seemed to grow to about 3000, and so the long, slow "sieve" cheer, which they carried on in unison in Boston Garden for probably two full minutes is emblazoned in my mind more than their '70 chants. I know we enjoyed the enthusiasm of their fans in '70, and their numbers were limited basically by the allotment of only 100 tickets per team. The old arena in Placid only sat about 1500 (it was a really stupid place to hold the tournament) and the rest had been pre-sold, almost all to Cornell fans who correctly assumed we would be there.

Date: November 17, 2004 12:41PM

It sounds like the Wisconsin fans more that rival the Lynah Faithful. Or is Wisconsin fan glory only in the past?

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: November 17, 2004 12:47PM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

It sounds like the Wisconsin fans more that rival the Lynah Faithful. Or is Wisconsin fan glory only in the past?[/q]

They're alive and well. I think it was last season at a WCHA game when Minnesota fans (I believe ) were chanting "We're Number 1" that Wisconsin fans responded with "We're more fun." That they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2004 12:50PM by ninian '72.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: November 17, 2004 01:48PM

[Q]rstott Wrote:

I don't really remember if the Cornell fans picked it up then or after the still-painful-in-my-memory NCAAs in 73.

Yes, it’s now chanted too much too fast. As is counting up after the goals. In the late 1970s the count was slow and devastating – “O-N-E, T-W-O, T-H-R-E-E, F-O-U-R, F-I-V-E, WE WANT M-O-R-E!”[/q]

As I recall, Cornell fans were using the freshly-stolen sieve cheer during the 1973 semifinal nightmare (I think it was even mentioned in SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's coverage of the event). I don't remember Cornell folks using it in '72.

And I agree that the late-1970s-era sieve + goal count chant was brutally effective.

For a few brief years, there was the best of both worlds: a clear, loud, slow-starting sieve chant + the goal count + "it's all your fault." I may have the chronology wrong, but by the early 1980s, the goal count had started to get sublimated by the rush to get to "it's all your fault," and the sieve chant started to become more sped up -- and thus watered down.

The mystery: What's the provenance of "it's all your fault"?

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: November 17, 2004 01:49PM

I'm pretty sure our "Screw BU" came about in the NCAA tourney in 1972. I was at the ECACs the week before, when we played BU in that final, and I don't recall shouting "Screw BU" when they finished their little jingle. But the following week BU knocked off Wisconsin in the semis and the badger fans were letting them have it. The next night, when we played BU in the final, though far outnumbered, Cornell fans started off much more vocal than the BU fans. Early in the game "Screw..." was much more distinct than "Go..." Unfortunately, as BU built up the score, we became a little quieter.

So, yes, it probably does come from Wisconsin, and 1972 is definitely the year we adopted it. BTW, I kinda like it without "X too". That way we show such disdain for the opponents that we don't even bother to mention them.

Date: November 17, 2004 01:58PM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

rstott Wrote:

I don't really remember if the Cornell fans picked it up then or after the still-painful-in-my-memory NCAAs in 73.

Yes, it’s now chanted too much too fast. As is counting up after the goals. In the late 1970s the count was slow and devastating – “O-N-E, T-W-O, T-H-R-E-E, F-O-U-R, F-I-V-E, WE WANT M-O-R-E!”[/Q]
As I recall, Cornell fans were using the freshly-stolen sieve cheer during the 1973 semifinal nightmare (I think it was even mentioned in SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's coverage of the event). I don't remember Cornell folks using it in '72.

And I agree that the late-1970s-era sieve + goal count chant was brutally effective.

For a few brief years, there was the best of both worlds: a clear, loud, slow-starting sieve chant + the goal count + "it's all your fault." I may have the chronology wrong, but by the early 1980s, the goal count had started to get sublimated by the rush to get to "it's all your fault," and the sieve chant started to become more sped up -- and thus watered down.

The mystery: What's the provenance of "it's all your fault"?[/q]

Agreed that we didn't do the drawn out "sieve" cheer until 1973. And yes, that was a nightmare NCAA semi.

I also like the old, slow goal count. Maybe I'm just becoming an old fart, but it seemed to resonate with more power when it took longer to get out. Especially good for when you started to get counts upwards of 5 or 6. Imagine how nice it would have been to taunt Brown in the 3rd period last week with a seemingly endless goal cheer. (Of course, they were probably taunted enough by a seemingly endless barrage of flying pucks.)

Posted by: Section N alum (---.ia3.marketscore.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 02:41PM

The screw BU cheer did start at the 1972 ECAC final which we lost 4-1. The BU defensemen would freeze the puck along the boards every time we were in their end. And after every whistle the BU band would play that irritating tune, and the BU fans (which was most of the Gahden) would respond "GO BU". The Cornell fans started with "screw BU" - which was about their style of play as much as the cheer. At least they did change the rules to not allow a player to freeze the puck along the boards.

Did you know that Section C used to be a student section? It was taken away because of some out of control interaction with the penalty box. There used to be just one penalty box with no glass partitions and the fans could really get in the player's face. The offending Athletic Director was serenaded with "Section C sucks" for the rest of his tenure.

Date: November 17, 2004 04:54PM

Section C used to be THE student section. Great seats; rowdy fans. I sat there two years out of four.

JKahn, it's interesting that the " X too"part of the cheer was done by Wisconsin in '72, cause if it ever caught on at Lynah, it was not being done when I arrived in '78.

The "it's all your fault" was added sometime between 1985 and 1996. We weren't doing it at the 1985 ECAC tourney which I attended, but we were at the '96. I also liked the slow count of goals to "We want more!" As I recall, the band use to hit the drum with each number to make it that much louder.

Another question: When exactly did the student section start standing for the games? It's another one that I think happened between '85 and '96, but I'm not sure. I know we sat when I was a student.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 04:58PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

Imagine how nice it would have been to taunt Brown in the 3rd period last week with a seemingly endless goal cheer.
[/q]

At one point, we were scoring so quickly that I think that we wouldn't have been able to complete the old-style count-out cheer before the next goal was scored. :-D

Date: November 17, 2004 05:12PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Killer Wrote:

Imagine how nice it would have been to taunt Brown in the 3rd period last week with a seemingly endless goal cheer.
[/Q]
At one point, we were scoring so quickly that I think that we wouldn't have been able to complete the old-style count-out cheer before the next goal was scored.[/q]

But that in and of itself would have led to more creative abuse:

"You're such a sieve, we don't even have time to finish our cheers."

"Are we going too fast for you?"

"How about if we just count by 2's?"

Posted by: Steve Marciniec '85 (---.fluor.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 05:19PM

I have the answer to the "It's all your fault" mystery. Paul Hummel '86 and I first heard it at SLU in the 84-85 season. The Saints' fans used it at the end of the game that they won 4-2 IIRC. We decided to bring it back to Lynah, and I wanted to do it the same way they had, at the end of the game (It's ALL your fault, i.e. the loss, not just one goal). Paul, however, got it going when the sieve cheer had finished after our first goal at our next home game, and the rest is history. After that the goal count and sieve cheer speeded up as everyone couldn't wait to get to "it's all your fault". I also miss the slow count and sieve chant. It was so intimidating seeing 3800 arms sweeping down to point in unison at the goalie to the old cadence of the sieve chant. Oh well.

I can lay claim to adding the BORING cheer to go with holding up the newspapers. I first got it going at the '86 ECACs in Boston in the middle of the 2nd period of the Harvard Yale consolation game while we were waiting our championship game against Clarkson to start. Didn't steal that one from anyone.

Date: November 17, 2004 06:52PM

I can narrow down the standing students a little more. I'm positive when I went to my first game in the fall of '90, my brother ('92) explained to me that the students stood until after the first goal. The next few years saw some home shutouts (3 in 92-93!) and undoubtedly some other games where it took Cornell forever to score, so we just kind of started standing for the whole game.

Not sure when the transition from sitting to standing-until-the-first-goal took place.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 06:59PM

Thankfully we did ake the transition. Everytime I'm at a road game I'm reminded how much I hate sitting at hockey games. It just seems so much easier to follow the game back and forth across the ice when standing (you turn your body rather than just your neck). Well "easier" isn't the right word but...

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 07:21PM

The standing started sometime after the 86-86 season, my last year on the hill.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 11:06PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

Pace Wrote:

It sounds like the Wisconsin fans more that rival the Lynah Faithful. Or is Wisconsin fan glory only in the past?[/Q]
They're alive and well. I think it was last season at a WCHA game when Minnesota fans (I believe ) were chanting "We're Number 1" that Wisconsin fans responded with "We're more fun." That they are.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/17/04 12:50PM by ninian '72.[/q]
At the 2003 NCAA Regional, there was a column in the Providence Journal, basically wishing that the Badgers had made it to Providence for the presence of their fans, and remeniscing their trip there in the '78 and '82 tournaments. Unfortunately, the column is only available for purchase in the P-Journal's archive:
[pqasb.pqarchiver.com]

From [www.uwbadgers.com]
[q]1977-78 - Wisconsin fans take Providence, R.I., by storm for the 1978 NCAA Championship, and are proclaimed the "World's Greatest Hockey Fans" by the city.[/q]

Personally, I'll vouch for the quality of Wisconsin fans. Pretty much all of them I've met have been incredibly knowledgable about hockey and very fun to drink with. I've run into at least one group of them at a bar at every Frozen Four I've been to....especially at Albany in 2001, where I think we Cornellians impressed them with our partying ability.

Date: November 17, 2004 11:34PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
Another question: When exactly did the student section start standing for the games?[/q]

Beeeej can tell you. It's his fault. :-}

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 11:48PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

Correcting my earlier post, it certainly could have been '70 when I first heard "sieve" from those 100 Wisconsin crazies. By '72 and then '73 their ranks seemed to grow to about 3000, and so the long, slow "sieve" cheer, which they carried on in unison in Boston Garden for probably two full minutes is emblazoned in my mind more than their '70 chants. I know we enjoyed the enthusiasm of their fans in '70, and their numbers were limited basically by the allotment of only 100 tickets per team. The old arena in Placid only sat about 1500 (it was a really stupid place to hold the tournament) and the rest had been pre-sold, almost all to Cornell fans who correctly assumed we would be there.[/q]

In my day, the only tournament I managed to travel to was the NCAA in '73. By that time the Lynah crowd was doing a locomotive style "seive, seive, seive" that seemed to build speed with every repetition. The long, slow "s..e..i..v..e, s..e..i..v..e, s..e..i..v..e" that filled Boston Garden was really haunting. I can still hear the eerie chant filling every nook and cranny. I was left wondering why we couldn't do that at Lynah, rather than the rapid fire version that now seemed lame by comparison.

Date: November 18, 2004 12:09AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

I can narrow down the standing students a little more. I'm positive when I went to my first game in the fall of '90, my brother ('92) explained to me that the students stood until after the first goal. The next few years saw some home shutouts (3 in 92-93!) and undoubtedly some other games where it took Cornell forever to score, so we just kind of started standing for the whole game.

Not sure when the transition from sitting to standing-until-the-first-goal took place.[/q]
Well, by my freshman year (that oh-so-painful '92-'93 year), the stand-all-game standard was in place.

And to respond to several other posts in this thread, the current cadence of the goal celebration is done in-tempo with Davy, which itself is up-tempo. It's an understandable phenomenon, although I feel the slow count would certainly be even more intimidating. In addition, when I was a student, there was no set way to get from the "sieve" chant to "It's all your fault." Sieves just petered out, and then "fault" would pick up very disorganized and slower. Today, 'sieve' is done exactly 7 times, which leads to a much more organized 'fault' right in tempo. While it seems robotic at first, it leads to a very unified version all around the rink.

It's also interesting to observe the evolution of the cheers between Lynah and Yost since that fork-in-the-road point of 1991. 'Ahhhhhh....See ya!' was the one cheer stolen by us from Michigan that trip (it was stolen by them from Duke squeakball), and both places have added on tags to it, both similarly vulgar. Though Yost has quite a long list of things to say, including one bit involving former a Colgate player named Wildfong. Our tags started being added around 1994.

For the goal chant, Michigan waits for the band to scream "ready!!" before doing a count-off, and then their call is a very stupid (IMO) "We want moooooooooooore GOALS!!!!"

In the mid-90s, "winning team" was done in addition to "nah nah nah nah hey hey hey goodbye" and the "goodnight ladies" varient that Schafer specifically asked to be ended.

If you listen both during warmups and right before the puck drops, the band usually does a very slow beginning to the "sieve" chant. But like everything else, the rest of the students usually speed up to their preferred speed.

the "we're gonna beat...." lyrics to Gary Glitter first started in the '97 playoff run. A certain small group of fans in B started saying it (no idea where they got it from), and it didn't really catch on until the following season. A friend of mine figured out what the original group of fans were chanting when we saw them shirtless with "G-O C-O-R-N-E-L-L" painted on their chests in the balcony in Lake Placid in 1997. The band didn't even start playing that song until 1995. The "You suck!" in Gary Glitter has just emerged in the last 2-3 seasons.

Also today, you see a real attempt at unifying the chants from A-B and D-G. In the early-mid '90s, F-H were usually very empty, and B was definitely the place to be. The past few years, it has been loud all around the student sections, which is great to see. I really see C as a road-block in unifying the student section now, and it's too bad. It's why D-G usually can't get a hold of the cowbell/Gary Glitter tempos.

This year, "see ya" seems to start as soon as the penalty is whistled with a sustained "ooooooohhhhh!!!" which is, IMO, more effective and intimidating than the previous crescendo and rising-pitch type start (see "Live At Lynah" for an example).

Remote-control goalie (aka "skate skate tuuuurn...bend over";) sort of evolved with the band's habit of remote-controling the rink staff as they shoveled up the remnants of the zamboni in the late '90s. Section A picked up on various idiosynchrocies and rituals of certain sieves and started "controling" them. It spread around the rink, but the current classes only care about telling him to "bend over" and cheering with glee at it.

I can't remember when the "Macho Man" incident with the SLU(t) "sweater guy" happened, but I'm guessing 4 years ago. And the Gary Glitter aerobics clap move just started happening last season, as did the whole "no shirts in the 3rd" thing.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I find the evolution of student cheers (both good and bad) somewhat fascinating. I've always held Lynah as one of the best remaining examples of oral tradition in our society.

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 12:42AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
... The "You suck!" in Gary Glitter has just emerged in the last 2-3 seasons ...[/q]
This began during the '01-'02 season with a small group (maybe 4-5 ... my 2 roommates and younger brother among others) in section A directly in front of the band, it gradually caught on by the end of the season. By start of the '02-'03 season that small group had split up and moved to all differnt places throughout Lynah, but mostly in the middle of section B (again my roommates and younger brother). At this point, you can see how it spread and has grown into it's current incarnation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2004 01:13AM by ben03.

Date: November 18, 2004 01:04AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
I can't remember when the "Macho Man" incident with the SLU(t) "sweater guy" happened, but I'm guessing 4 years ago.[/q]
The inspiration for this (IMO, stupid cheer) began on January 27, 2001 at Lynah during a convincing 6-3 beating at the hands of SLU(t). At which time the guy in the V-neck sweater, sitting in section O, kept pumping his arms (aka the current students) when anything good would happen for the Saints. He was subsequently mocked by some upset folks in A and B. Not sure when the band added “Mocho Man” to their list but this is where dubiousness emanates.
BTW ... my offer to the current conductor of a few hundred $$$ to burn all copies of that song still stands :-P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2004 01:07AM by ben03.

Posted by: Newman (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 02:06AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

as did the whole "no shirts in the 3rd" thing.[/q]

The shirtless third period definitely dates at least to the 1998-99 season, when I was last in Ithaca with season tickets, and it was going on amongst a group of guys in the row behind me.

Date: November 18, 2004 06:47AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
the "we're gonna beat...." lyrics to Gary Glitter first started in the '97 playoff run. A certain small group of fans in B started saying it (no idea where they got it from), and it didn't really catch on until the following season. A friend of mine figured out what the original group of fans were chanting when we saw them shirtless with "G-O C-O-R-N-E-L-L" painted on their chests in the balcony in Lake Placid in 1997. [/q]

I think that was when the second half of that started. I have a bootleg tape from Lake Placid in 1996 where you can hear part of the band saying "We're gonna beat the hell outta you! One, two, one-two-three-four!"

Date: November 18, 2004 08:03AM

[Q]Steve Marciniec '85 Wrote:

I can lay claim to adding the BORING cheer to go with holding up the newspapers. I first got it going at the '86 ECACs in Boston in the middle of the 2nd period of the Harvard Yale consolation game while we were waiting our championship game against Clarkson to start. Didn't steal that one from anyone. [/q]

I like it. During the '81 tourney, we got an "It just doesn't matter" cheer (from "Meatballs";) going during the consolation. It was equally effective and probably as much fun. :-P

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:25AM

The "We're going to beat..." part HAS to be older than 97. I've been watching Cornell hockey since the beginning of the 96-97 season, and I don't remember a time without that cheer.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:31AM

No, it's at least as much the fault of the '91-'93 teams who allowed shutouts at home. :-P

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jacob '06 (128.253.229.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:31AM

I remember posts on here before that this (rough em up) is a pretty common cheer amongst a few basketball schools and it might have started at maryland.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 11:28AM

...and is ending at Maryland.

[www.inform.umd.edu]

And we thought we had it bad with administration/athletics crackdowns...

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 11:31AM

And some additional follow-up. [www.inform.umd.edu]

Date: November 18, 2004 12:15PM

Let's hope the folks in athletics don't get any bright ideas ... rolleyes

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 12:40PM

A friend of mine who attended Boulder told me that they do the "We're gonna beat the hell outta you, rough 'em up rough 'em up go CU" at their football games (he also mentioned the cheerleaders yell "Buffalo, buffalo" instead of "rough 'em up";)... no idea if that's the origin, though. But it's interesting to see we're not the only CU who does that cheer :)

Date: November 18, 2004 12:47PM

[Q]kaelistus Wrote:

The "We're going to beat..." part HAS to be older than 97. I've been watching Cornell hockey since the beginning of the 96-97 season, and I don't remember a time without that cheer.[/q]
Well, admittedly, it's from my own fuzzy memory. Upon further thought, I'm pretty sure that the whole cheer was slowly added in parts. When the song was introduced to Lynah, it was already established in many, many college and pro hockey arenas. The "Sieve!" was almost immediate. Since JTW wrote that he has a recording from the end of '95-'96 with just the "we're gonna beat the hell outta you" part, I'm sure there was a period where that was the only part of that bit (apparently followed by another countoff for the 2nd time through the tune). But it wasn't until the end of '96-'97 when the "F 'em up" part really started to be heard. And it took the band and traveling faithful all of 2 seconds to come up with the alternate "rough 'em up" first at visiting rinks, then when the watchful eye of the all-powerful ushering staff at Lynah started using their lip-reading talents.

Re: End Switch?
Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 02:40PM

When did Cornell start attacking the goal at the scoreboard end in the 1st and 3rd periods? At least until 86 we attacked towards the end with the seats for 2 periods. Back then Section D was ground zero for fan leadership and Section C was still sold to the students. I'm pretty sure section C was taken away from the students soon after, to reduce the amount of foul language heard over broadcasts, but when and why did the attacking end for the 1st and 3rd periods switch? Was it to reduce goalie abuse?

Date: November 18, 2004 03:24PM

I was there for '71-'77. We always attacked the scoreboard end twice. Though I seem to recall that there was one game during that stretch where we went the other way for some strange reason. An experiment that failed? A request by the opponents? Anyone remember?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 03:47PM

[Q]Steve Marciniec Wrote:
When did Cornell start attacking the goal at the scoreboard end in the 1st and 3rd periods? At least until 86 we attacked towards the end with the seats for 2 periods. Back then Section D was ground zero for fan leadership and Section C was still sold to the students. I'm pretty sure section C was taken away from the students soon after, to reduce the amount of foul language heard over broadcasts, but when and why did the attacking end for the 1st and 3rd periods switch? Was it to reduce goalie abuse?[/q]

Section C went to the boosters starting with the 86-87 season.

The end switch occurred prior to the 87-88 season, Brian McCutcheon's first as Cornell head coach. As I recall, McCutcheon made the switch for two reasons: so that his players would be facing the clock two out of three periods, and at the time the glass behind the net at the scoreboard end was somewhat higher than at the other end, meaning that the puck would tend to stay in play more near the scoreboard goal. (I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember if the glass is still set up that way!) The end switch was not announced prior to the ticket sale, so those who bought Section D tickets that year were quite pissed.

Date: November 18, 2004 04:00PM

[Q]fenwick Wrote:

(I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember if the glass is still set up that way!) [/q]

I'm quite certain the glass is equal heights now. Thanks for the interesting bit of trivia.

Btw, I've been wondering, is the current #10 McCutcheon related to that past coach of ours? Son?

Date: November 18, 2004 04:11PM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

Btw, I've been wondering, is the current #10 McCutcheon related to that past coach of ours? Son?
[/q]
Yes, Mark is Brian's son. In addition to being head coach in the late-80s and early-90s, Brian was a member of the undefeated 1970 team.

Date: November 18, 2004 05:55PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Pace Wrote:

[/Q]
Yes, Mark is Brian's son. In addition to being head coach in the late-80s and early-90s, Brian was a member of the undefeated 1970 team.

[/q]

Too bad the son's not quite as good...

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 06:27PM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

Too bad the son's not quite as good...[/q]

Give him time. I'm sure Mark McCutcheon will shape up to be a valuable player before his time on the hill is up.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 07:26PM

I'm pretty sure that "We're Going To Beat the Hell Out of You" part was started by Dan Karipides grad '99 in or around the '95-'96 season. It was definitely appropriated from his undergrad basketball experience. The second line ("Rough 'em up";) was added a short while later.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 11:27PM

There was some light on the topic of rink ends in the discussion of cheers a couple of weeks ago:
[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rob NH (---.mrrmnh.adelphia.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 11:29PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
Well, admittedly, it's from my own fuzzy memory. Upon further thought, I'm pretty sure that the whole cheer was slowly added in parts. When the song was introduced to Lynah, it was already established in many, many college and pro hockey arenas. The "Sieve!" was almost immediate.[/q]
I know New Hampshire was doing the Rock and Roll Part II sieve chant by 1990 at Snively (instead of "we're gonna beat the..." they just yell sieve repeatedly to end it). Additionally, Northeastern had been doing an second verse of the song acapella and the "Sieve! You suck!" prior to 01-02.

Schools doing the Rock and Roll Part II sieve chant:
Cornell : duh...
UNH : after a goal, repeatedly sieve at the end.
UMass : after a goal, "sieve, you suck! We're gonna beat the hell outta you, rough 'em up, rough 'em up, lets go U!".
UMass Lowell : after a goal, repeatedly sieve at the end, not to be outdone by Amherst they added "You Suck!" last season.
Northeastern : next stoppage of play after a goal, "Sieve! You Suck!", then a second verse acapella.
St. Cloud State : after a goal, know they yell sieve, not sure about the ending
Minnesota Duluth : after a goal, follows the UMD Rouser if they have time before the puck gets dropped (often don't finish the tune), "Hey!" like normal and then sieve repeatedly after the last hey.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 12:10AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Pace Wrote:

[/Q]

[/q]

And was the leading goal scorer.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 03:15AM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

I believe the provenance for Cornell's base version of the post-goal "sieve, sieve, sieve" taunt also traces back to Wisconsin fans ... perhaps at the '72 Final Four?

q]

It's older than that because we were chanting "sieve, sieve, sieve" at Clarkson when I started there in Fall '70. Where it began, I don't know.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 06:56AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

[the sieve chant is] older than [1972] because we were chanting "sieve, sieve, sieve" at Clarkson when I started there in Fall '70. Where it began, I don't know.[/q]

I was referring to the provenance of *Cornell* fan's use of the sieve chant, which seems to date to one of two playoff encounters with Wisconsin in the early 1970s. Badger fans' had already been doing it in an organized way for a loooooong time before then; they seem to deserve credit for its spread elsewhere.

Posted by: Molly (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 08:37AM

[Q]From INCH:
The normally sedate Munn Ice Arena crowd – most of whom have received birthday wishes from Willard Scott – was jolted into action by a small, but vocal, group of Lynah Faithful that descended on East Lansing for Cornell’s series with Michigan State. MSU captain Jim Slater told reporters after the game that when Faithful shouted ‘RED!’ during their well-known national anthem ritual, he looked around the arena trying to figure out what was going on.[/Q]

Good job on the cheering guys! :-)

On a related note, does anyone know when we started shouting out "RED" during the anthem?

Date: November 19, 2004 12:13PM

[Q]
On a related note, does anyone know when we started shouting out "RED" during the anthem?[/q]

I can bound that one to between 85 and 96, too.

Date: November 19, 2004 01:26PM

Pretty sure "RED!" was in full force in the fall of 1990, too, so with Jeff's memory, that narrows it down to between 85 and 90.

Date: November 19, 2004 01:55PM

Pretty sure "RED!" wasn't yet in wide use in 1988, but I couldn't swear to it.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 02:45PM

Yep, we shouted "Red" and the fans shouted at us. Standard things about it being disgraceful, etc. The only proper response was "Oh, Canada!"

Posted by: Scott (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 03:07PM

Pretty sure that puts it in at '89 using my supreme math and deduction skills. Learned, of course, on the Hill.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: November 19, 2004 03:27PM

I will stake claim to the key-jingling tradition. Not entirely sure which season. I think it was during the rout of Colgate in the Spring '91 ECAC quarterfinals. Anyway, we scored another goal with an appropriately large lead and appropriately little time on the clock. I pulled out my keys in lieu of "go start the bus", and it spread pretty quickly. After all the screaming, it was very eerie to hear nothing but keys jingling.

Date: November 19, 2004 04:40PM

[Q]KenP Wrote:
I will stake claim to the key-jingling tradition. Not entirely sure which season. I think it was during the rout of Colgate in the Spring '91 ECAC quarterfinals. Anyway, we scored another goal with an appropriately large lead and appropriately little time on the clock. I pulled out my keys in lieu of "go start the bus", and it spread pretty quickly. After all the screaming, it was very eerie to hear nothing but keys jingling.[/q]
I'm nearly sure there was key-jingling during the 1989 and 1990 hockey seasons - and I'm 100% positive that it was being done at Cornell football games during the fall of 1987, which makes it kind of hard to imagine you introduced it to Lynah in 1991.

If only I could find my copy of "Section D Tonight" from Nov. 1987, I'd have more answers!!

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2004 04:41PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 05:50PM

Key jingling goes waaaay back. People at Montreal Canadian games did it in the 1950's.

The first time I heard keys come out at a game at Lynah was in the 1990 QF against Harvard.

Jingling keys at football
Posted by: Sam (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 08:51PM

A lot of schools with better football fans jingle keys (Ann Arbor - 110,000 keyrings jingling together) on 3rd down when it's a "key stop" or I guess any 4th down.

I'll be jingling _my_ keys tomorrow afternoon against Penn :)

LGR

-- Sam

Re: Jingling keys at football
Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:37PM

[Q]Sam Wrote:

A lot of schools with better football fans jingle keys (Ann Arbor - 110,000 keyrings jingling together) on 3rd down when it's a "key stop" or I guess any 4th down.

I'll be jingling _my_ keys tomorrow afternoon against Penn

LGR

-- Sam[/q]

And Penn fans have traditionally jingled their keys before key plays as well.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 10:04AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

Not sure when the transition from sitting to standing-until-the-first-goal took place.[/q]

I can't give you a when, but basketball fans at the Carrier Dome have stood until the first basket for as long as I can remember. I strongly suspect the tradition just migrated down I81.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 08:57PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Key jingling goes waaaay back. People at Montreal Canadian games did it in the 1950's.

The first time I heard keys come out at a game at Lynah was in the 1990 QF against Harvard.[/q]
The first time I heard keys at Lynah was the first game after hearing Brown's fans on the radio jangle keys at us during the game at Brown in the '90-'91 season. We definitely weren't taking out the keys the year before during my first (half)season watching the Red.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login