Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

BC at Harvard (Sucks) - Tuesday, 11/16

Posted by Killer 
BC at Harvard (Sucks) - Tuesday, 11/16
Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: November 14, 2004 01:07PM

Anyone thinking of going to see BC play at Harvard this coming Tuesday? If you're in the Boston area, it might be interesting, especially since it provides a chance to see #1 BC, whom we'll play in Florida, up against a common opponent.

As far as I know, tix are still available, though the Crimson's 4-point weekend might re-energize some of their fans and make them actually consider going to a weeknight game. We got 4 tix on the glass in the BC section last Friday from Harvard (1-877-464-2782).

Come in your CU best (and tell 'em you're only there to see BC).

Re: BC at Harvard (Sucks) - Tuesday, 11/16
Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 08:15PM

i'll be there

Date: November 14, 2004 11:36PM

Where are your seats? Tix came in the mail yesterday. We're in section 19, row A. Ironically, that sounds like it should be your seat. See you Tuesday.

Date: November 15, 2004 05:20PM

seats are in section 9, but that's fairly irrelevant since 3 people show up to games.

Date: November 15, 2004 05:29PM

Yeah, I know. Saw they only drew 1,700 for the Saturday night game aginst Princeton. What a great bunch of fans, eh? My wife's boss, longtime Harvard fan, and uncle of a BC player, expects it will be mostly the oldtimers Tuesday.

See you tomorrow night. BTW, think we're hitting Bartley's (sp?) for a bite before the game. Haven't made it there yet, but my daughter (who's now registered on eLynah as "little killer";) says they have the best burgers in town.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: November 15, 2004 05:36PM

I know it's fun to see Harvard get spanked, but it's actually in Cornell's best interest for them to win non-conference games.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:10PM

H 2
BC 1

Midway in the 2nd. BC about to go on the pp.

Game is available at cn8.com.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:16PM

[Q]Game is available at cn8.com[/Q]

I'm getting a financial advice segment... help

Date: November 16, 2004 08:19PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Game is available at cn8.com[/Q]
I'm getting a financial advice segment... [/q]

Make sure you've selected cn8 new england and not cn8 mid-atlantic.

Date: November 16, 2004 08:22PM

Penalty Shot for BC....
SAVE Hyphen!

Still 2-1

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.ddns.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:47PM

[Q]Make sure you've selected cn8 new england and not cn8 mid-atlantic.[/Q]

yep, that was it, thanks!

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:14PM

Why does Gametracker refer to Sucks as "HARVARDMIH"?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: puff (---.ddns.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:14PM

its come up before...
harvard men's ice hockey if i remember right

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.ddns.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:20PM

Harvard beats the #1 ranked team 3-1.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:21PM

yeah that's right (about the MIH = men's ice hockey).

Final score: Harvard 3, BC 1

Unbelievable!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2004 09:22PM by Bio '04.

Posted by: AJGD '04 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:21PM

good for us

Posted by: Molly (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:22PM

For those who watched the game, what was your assessment of how BC played tonight?

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.ddns.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:23PM

[Q]For those who watched the game, what was your assessment of how BC played tonight?[/Q]

I only saw the 3rd, but they looked slow and sloppy.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.ddns.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:25PM

I only caught the end, but the announcers basically said that BC was making a lot of elementary mistakes. The scary thing is that they seemed to be saying that Harvard players were starting to fall into a more fast paced system that Donato was establishing, and playing it well. We should wait for the report from the people that were actually at the game though.

Date: November 16, 2004 09:36PM

Great News! Big non-conference wins like this, help the PWRs of every ECAC team.

Date: November 16, 2004 10:05PM

i just got back from the game.
i was not impressed with either team. harvard was incredibly inconsistent, as they are every game, every season, and every year i have seen them. they allowed the goal on the first shot of the game, and i thought it was going to be a blowout. hyphen continued to give up rebound after rebound. harvard was lucky to limit bc's shots, especially in the first period. harvard benefitted from sloppy BC discipline (penalties) which plagued BC all night long. harvard was not well disciplined either, with players taking needless penalties. the reffing was pretty good.

all of period 2, harvard was clinging to it's 2-1 lead by its fingernails. i was waiting for bc to hit the inevitable rebound in, but it never came. i saw the third penalty shot of my life, and it was incredibly weak. for those who watched the dartmouth-harvard game in albany in 03, you'll remember hyphen letting in that shot. this time, the move was so weak and the shot didn't even get off the stick- it dribbled to the right. the BC player was so angry he broke his stick over his knee afterwards.

harvard looked stronger in period 3, with BC making many mistakes from the pressure of playing behind the 8-ball.

i do not fear that harvard has "found itself" nor do i think BC is as good as people have said.

one other thing to note: the harvard band persisted in taking any and all cornell fan material and doing it poorly. they attempted to pepper in "it's all your fault," and my personal favorite was the black hole cheer, in which the conductor needed to stop between lines to tell the band what the next line was. i shouted at them and asked if they could possibly steal any more cornell material. to the Faithful's credit, the band acknowledged it- "it's all cornell. they do it so well," the conductor shouted back, shrugging. their crowd got a good kick out of my "BU rejects" cheer, and other than that, it was embarrassingly quiet for the fact that harvard led the #1 team in the country for 2 whole periods.

-mike '04

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 10:07PM

[Q]AJGD '04 Wrote:

good for us[/q]Better for Harvard.:-)

Date: November 16, 2004 10:10PM

Got news for you, Mike - Cornell stole the "Black Hole" cheer from Sucks many years ago, and they've always done it with a pause between the lines.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 16, 2004 10:14PM

beeeej,

their band seemed to think they stole it from us too. i guess they, like me, are too young to remember what happened then.

mike

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 10:16PM

I was listening to some of the feed and they said that Bright was sold out with a decent stream of students coming in even towards the very end of the game. I was shocked to hear that. First that they had fans there and second that perhaps they were listening to the game to know that Harvard was winning and therefore come over to the rink.

And that "cowbell" was annoying. :-P

Mike since you were there, maybe you could give a little perspective on what happened to Du. The hit sounded pretty bad, but no penalty was called. Did you see it?

Date: November 16, 2004 10:20PM

I had gathered that from your report. Not shocking, really. A school that won the national championship fifteen years ago and has trouble selling out a small rink or getting its students excited about the sport has no sense of history. I was actually encouraged by Donato's hiring, but I doubt even he has a really good idea of how to get the Cantabridgians re-engaged.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: November 17, 2004 01:16AM

I was there as well and I think Mike's assessment is pretty accurate. Neither team was particularly impressive, though in the first few minutes, it looked like this could be a BC blowout of serious proportions. Harvard looked pretty much dazed-and-confused, with BC cruising right in to get a virtually uncontested early goal (Hyphen barely moved on the shot from his right). But before BC could really capitalize, Harvard seemed to reorganize, started hitting some people, and Hyphen began making some pretty good stops. The momentum changed and play moved much more into the BC defensive zone. When Harvard nailed the 2 PPGs midway and late in the 1st, the air seemed to have been let out of BC's sails...pretty much never to return. Yeah, there were a couple flurries, and if BC had scored on the penalty shot, it might have changed the game's complexion, but it wasn't to be. The 3rd Harvard PPG (hello, BC, did you forget to bring your special teams tonight?) early in the 3rd just about iced it. No real response from BC. In fact, the only time I saw BC come to life in the 3rd was when they pulled their goalie in what I recall was a man-down situation in the last 2 minutes. I thought that was their best pressure of the period, if not the game.

You have to figure BC isn't going to be flat like this very often, but if BC plays like this in Florida, it bodes well for the Red. Anything but a meltdown by our guys should allow them to handle the team we saw tonight. Of course, that might not be the team that shows up for BC. You don't get the #1 ranking for being slouches.

As for Harvard, maybe Donato is starting to have some impact on how they play. They were competent tonight. Not great, but good enough. And they never really panicked or buckled under. However, if they play like this in January, and we come at them anything like we did in Lynah last week, we'll be justified in saying, "This is our house!", once more.

BTW, the box score shows attendance of 2776, the full capacity of Bright. Yeah, in their friggin' dreams. Maybe it was sold out, but it sure as heck wasn't anywhere close to full. Come January, it'll be full...of screaming RED!!!

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 02:20AM

Well my confidence in Cornell's capacity of beating BC in Florida certainly rose tonight.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 07:34AM

Every little bit helps. Weirdly enough, it's Cornell who is "weighing down the league" in NC games so far, after being the only shining light for the conference for years.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 08:10AM

Great example of why the games are played on the ice and not by computer. Harvard had a good night. BC did not. If it were the playoffs, the result might have been different.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 08:21AM

Did you notice that all three of SUCKS goals came on the power play and all three times it was the same line on the ice!

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:13AM

So we were tracking this for a while: when was the last time Harvard beat a nationally-ranked team? At some point they hadn't done it since the 2002 ECAC Championship Game.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.equityresources.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:41AM

[Q]Brian Wrote:
Did you notice that all three of SUCKS goals came on the power play and all three times it was the same line on the ice![/q]
Cavanagh, Bernakevitch, Pelle, Lederman (at D), and Welch.
Pelle would have looked good in RED. :-(

Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 11:01AM

I sat behind Killer (and little killer) at the game last night, and I pretty much agree with everything he and A-19 said. I was in the will call line and missed the first few minutes of the game (and the BC goal), so the whole time I was there, BC looked pretty sloppy except for two stretches in the 3rd period. They came out skating hard and threw a few hits in the first minute of the period, but that didn't last long, and when they pulled the goalie for the 5 on 4 (and eventually 6 on 4) late in the game, but they didn't shoot enough when they had decent looks.

The Harvard "fans" did get into it a little after Hyphen stopped the penalty shot, but that was only the two student sections and the band at the far end of the rink. The rest was parents and alums, from what I could tell, and they were politely clapping the whole time, if that.

I saw a good amount of fans in BC gear, but they didn't make much noise either, probably because their team came out and laid a huge egg.

From my seat, I couldn't see the corner to the left of the BC bench (in the Harvard student end), so I missed some of the penalties, but I thought it was a typical Hansen game. A few ticky-tack calls, mostly called against Harvard's opponent, but he made most of the obvious ones. I still heckled him more than anyone else.

Oh, and one minor point - isn't the appropriate cheer for BC "Notre Dame rejects"? That threw me off...

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 11:20AM

According to USCHO it sound as though BC lost there cool too! :-O

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: November 17, 2004 11:55AM

[Q]isn't the appropriate cheer for BC "Notre Dame rejects"? That threw me off...[/Q]

Definitely for football. I guess for hockey it depends if you're aiming it towards students/fans or players. I doubt the players much wanted to play for ND, but the fans probably wanted to get in there.

Posted by: Pace (---)
Date: November 17, 2004 12:06PM

A fair point, but lets not forget how Cornell played last weekend. If we bring the kinda game we showed at Lansing to Florida, we might not stand a chance even against a sloppy BC.

Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 12:21PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

isn't the appropriate cheer for BC "Notre Dame rejects"? That threw me off...[/Q]
Definitely for football. I guess for hockey it depends if you're aiming it towards students/fans or players. I doubt the players much wanted to play for ND, but the fans probably wanted to get in there.
[/q]

Hmm... I know the "Notre Dame Rejects" chant was thrown around at the regionals in Providence two years ago. The "BC Rejects" was used at Lynah against BU that same year. Rivalry implications aside, the theme seemed to be that as far as quality of school, Notre Dame > BC > BU. Whatever.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (128.84.198.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 01:19PM

And Pelle, the guy I dubbed "the next Ryan Vesce" because he is 5'8, from Long Island and played for Applecore, now has 3 goals and 3 assists in 6 games.

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 02:09PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

According to USCHO it sound as though BC lost there cool too!

"... As he collapsed to cover the puck, Pelle raced in to slap it home, prompting vehement protest from the Eagles' Chris Collins, who was subsequently slapped with a 10-minute misconduct."

[/q]

Glad to see the boys from my high school are still doing well ... rolleyes

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.equityresources.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 02:47PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
And Pelle, the guy I dubbed "the next Ryan Vesce" because he is 5'8, from Long Island and played for Applecore, now has 3 goals and 3 assists in 6 games.[/q]
He chose Sucks over the Red, Clarkson, UVM, & Yale.

Date: November 17, 2004 04:09PM

They beat UMass in December last year while the Minutemen were still in the Top 15. This is the first time since '02 they beat a team that will stay ranked through the season.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 17, 2004 04:17PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

So we were tracking this for a while: when was the last time Harvard beat a nationally-ranked team? At some point they hadn't done it since the 2002 ECAC Championship Game.[/q]

Answering my own question: Dec 13, 2003 vs UMass.

[www.uscho.com]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login