Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

USCHO Pledge Drive

Posted by jason 
USCHO Pledge Drive
Posted by: jason (---.paulhastings.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 03:13PM

I just noticed that USCHO.com is asking folks to donate to help maintain the site. I'm fine with this and will probably toss a few dollars their way (if I can spend $15 a year for a subscription to a magazine that doesn't get read half the time, I should be able to do the same for USCHO which I read all the time). What I found interesting was their claim that this was their "first ever" pledge drive. Am I mistaken, or didn't USCHO ask for donations back when it first started up (and even had a page showing the names of those who gave)? Am I confusing this with something else? (I could have sworn that I gave them some small amount years back.)

Re: USCHO Pledge Drive
Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 04:54PM

Yes, they did ask for contributions soon after they started and had a page listing names. It's probably a question of semantics.

Re: USCHO Pledge Drive
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 05:30PM

I'll support them as well. They're a great resource, and it will make me feel better if I steal their stuff.

Another pledge drive
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2002 08:14PM

This thread just reminded me of something I would like to share. For those of you who haven't heard of the NHLFA, it's a fan advocacy group for the NHL fans and hockey fans in general (after all, what the NHL does effects much of the rest of hockey in at least some way). It's supposed to be the fan's answer to the NHLPA and, well, the rest of the NHL... advocating the fan's perspective in this time of millionaire players and billionaire owners is very important. (if there were a powerful MLBFA, do you think Minnesota would be on the chopping block? or Selig's AL = East, NL = West proposal would have ever come that close?)

Unfortunately, the NHLFA has had problems getting off the ground despite over 18,000 subscribers in just a couple years. Mainly they need money to advertise and form mutually beneficial patnerships with other hockey entities (like one they had with The Hockey News). Their ultimate goal is nothing more unreasonable than a fan's voice in the future of a sport which fans ultimately fund (much of it anyway).

So they've been asking for people to become members for $33. Their goal was 200 people for $6600, enough to keep the organization on the right footing. Sadly, over 18,000 people who received the email, not more than 120 have paid and time is quickly running out. I urge you all to take a peak at [www.nhlfa.com], if you haven't seen it already. If you're interested in helping this group make a difference in hockey today, click on The Store on the left, and then on "click here to become an NHLFA member." You can also become a 'team participant' and work towards a particular goal for only $7.

USCHO is great, but they're not in risk of no longer existing without your help. Please consider it. I, a poor undergrad, became a full member a couple days ago. Please consider it - if they don't reach their goal, 85% of your membership fees will be returned. Thanks.

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Re: Another pledge drive
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 08:19PM

Before we worry too much over NHLFA and USCHO, I hope we've made Age whole on his already out-of-pocket hockeycam expenses.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: March 14, 2002 09:07AM

Well said.

Between expensive software Athletics refused to pay for, various pieces of hardware like the DV bridge, and scores of Hi8/Digital8 tapes, Age has made a serious investment in eLynah over the past couple years. Not including the 3 computers it takes to run eLynah and the LynahCam, and the Digital8 camcorder, I suspect he has spent in the neighborhood of $900-$1100 out of pocket.

Of course, being the stubborn bastard he is, Age refuses to actively ask for donations. So anyway, if you enjoy eLynah, the forum, and the hockeycam, be sure to send in your donation.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2002 09:37AM

*snort* I wish it were just a grand... :-/

Just a note about USCHO, they are still losing money and it is mostly run as a labor of love by a dedicated handful of good people (plus Jason Moy (j/k)). Hopefully their pledge drive is going well, but it is not a foregone conclusion that they'll just be around in perpetuity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login