Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros Nov. '04

Posted by Brian 
Alumni in the Pros Nov. '04
Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 11:58AM

Lenny made 43 of 45 saves last night but lost 2-1. The only offense for Utah came with an extra attacker towards the end of the game. Apparently Murray injuried his hip flexor approx. a week ago, the reason he has been scratched from the lineup. Haven't heard much about Bâby lately or anyone else for that matter. Does anybody know why Higgins was suspended a game, apparently an incident against the Cleveland Barons was the cause(didn't have anything to do with Murray's injury did it?).

Re: Alumni in the Pros Nov. '04
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 01:11PM

Bâby has a goal and an assist and 26 PIM, and is -1 through 8 games with the Chicago Wolves.

During the Hamilton-Cleveland game on 11/2, Higgins took a high-sticking major at the same time Cleveland's Matt Carkner received a 10-minute misconduct, late in the first period. Higgins scored a goal in the second period after drawing a penalty shot on a shorthanded breakaway. Murray did not play in the game. Neither the Barons' website, the Bulldogs' website, nor the AHL website provides any more information about the suspension than essentially what Brian said above.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 04:00PM

Underhill got picked up by Mississippi of the ECHL

Posted by: MWhea82 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 12:03AM

What's the word on Murray? I haven't seen him in any of the Cleveland boxscores recently. Is he hurt or something?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 12:49AM

Solid game from Leneveu tonight. Stopped 36 of 37 in regulation and OT, and then blanked all 5 shooters he faced in the shootout to pick up his (and Utah's)1st win of the season. Lenny is 1-4-0 so far, with a GAA of 2.69 and a SV% of .918. Pelletier is 0-3-1, with a GAA of 4.67 and a SV% of .861. Needless to say, they don't have a very good team in front of them.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 03:31AM

[Q]DisplacedCornellian Wrote:
Needless to say, they don't have a very good team in front of them.[/q]Another year like that, eh? It's like '03-'04 with Springfield all over again. screwy

Date: November 07, 2004 09:33AM

Refer to the original posting!

Posted by: Wallace (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 11:52AM

Ben Wallace Leaves Atlantic City and Signs with Odessa of the Central Hockey League

October 28, 2004

The Jackalopes have had great success bringing Ivy League hockey players to the Permian Basin, perhaps the two most notable being Trevor Allman of Harvard and Mike Rutter (rooter) of Cornell. Today, the Jacks have announced the signing of another “Cornellian,” as defenseman Ben Wallace has agreed to terms and will be in uniform for the club this weekend.

Head Coach & Director of Hockey Operations Don McKee, announcing the signing, indicated the Jacks are looking for the “final pieces to the puzzle” on the blue line.

“Ben is a very solid ‘defensive defenseman’ and is an excellent penalty-killer,” McKee said. “He comes from one of the nation’s most outstanding collegiate programs (Cornell) and we think Ben will bring a great deal to our hockey club.”

Wallace, a native of London, Ontario, joins the Jacks after a 4-year career at Cornell. His first year in Ithaca (2000-2001) came just after Rutter completed his career with the Big Red (1999-2000). Rutter is now in his third season with the Jackalopes, and is the club’s leading scorer over the past two seasons (he led the Jacks in scoring in 2002-2003 with 70 points).

“Players who come from solid college programs are fundamentally very sound,” McKee said. “We expect Ben to adapt to our defensive systems and be able to contribute to the Jacks very quickly.”

Wallace joins defensemen B.J. Adams and R.C. Lyke and goaltender Derek Dolson among the Jacks’ newest members. Adams and Lyke signed just prior to the start of the regular season, and both played in the team’s opening two games. Wallace and Dolson (who signed Monday) will practice with the club this week and will see action this weekend (Dolson will back-up Mike Gorman in goal).

“We felt we had to make some changes, and now is a good point in the early season to accomplish that,” McKee said. “After this weekend, we have only one game over the first 11 days of November, so we’ll have plenty of practice time to solidify our hockey club.”

Wallace opened the season with Atlantic City of East Coast Hockey League (ECHL), but was the victim of a “numbers game.”

“With Atlantic City, Ben felt his playing time would be very sporadic, so he chose to come here,” McKee said. “We had been negotiating with Ben last spring, and we very much wanted to bring him here, so again the negotiations and our patience have paid off.”

To make room on the roster for Wallace, the Jacks have waived forward Shawn Roed (rode). With forward Tom Kotsopoulos sidelined by a wrist injury (and not expected to play until mid-November), the Jackalopes are left with eight (healthy) forwards and seven defensemen on the roster. Jeff Alcombrack is expected to move from defense to a forward line to fill Roed’s spot.

“Jeff is very comfortable on the wing,” McKee said. “That’s where he had played most of his career before moving to the blue line.” Alcombrack enters Friday’s game among the Jacks’ top point-producers, with 3 assists in 2 games.

The Jacks (1-1-0) open their home schedule Friday night, hosting the San Angelo Saints in a Southwest Division match-up, and a
re-match of last Saturday’s game in San Angelo, when the Saints rallied from a 2-0 deficit to defeat the Jacks, 4-2. Saturday’s opponent is the winningest club in CHL history, the Oklahoma City Blazers, who make their only visit to West Texas this season.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.MIT.EDU)
Date: November 07, 2004 11:59AM

[Q]mgl11 Wrote:

Underhill got picked up by Mississippi of the ECHL[/q]

Cool. They're the ones that play in Gulfport, right? I may have to drive up there and see him play sometime.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Vesce (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 12:04PM

Ryan Vesce ranks 8th in the Swedish Elite League (Tier II) scoring with 20 points (6G, 14A). He plays on the top line with former NHLer and WHL superstar Byron Ritchie and Swede Henrik Eriksson. Eriksson is ranked 24th in the league with 16 points (11G, 5A) and Ritchie is tied with Vesce for 8th with 20 points (9 G, 11A). It seems as if Vesce is up to his old playmaking self again. I'm sure this should get the attention of some Scouts. Don't be surprised is he get's signed to minor league contract by an NHL team next year (if there is an NHL next year).

[www.eliteprospects.com]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 02:25PM

And Ritchie was signed by the Flames this summer. Maybe he'll put in a word for Vesce with Flames management.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 03:45PM

Head Coach Don McKee?

Hmmmm. Any relation to goalie David?

Date: November 08, 2004 04:45PM

Did you see what Dustin Brown has been doing?

[www.theahl.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: November 08, 2004 04:49PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Did you see what Dustin Brown has been doing?

[/q]

From the same article:

[q]Other nominees for CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week include Albany goaltender Ari Ahonen, Binghamton center Jason Spezza, Bridgeport center Sean Bergenheim, Chicago left wing Karl Stewart, Edmonton right wing Brad Winchester, Hamilton center Tomas Plekanec, Hartford goaltender Jason LaBarbera, Hershey left wing Mathieu Darche, Houston goaltender Josh Harding, Lowell center Eric Staal, Milwaukee left wing Simon Gamache, Norfolk goaltender Craig Anderson, Philadelphia center Patrick Sharp, Portland center Brooks Laich, Rochester center Chris Taylor, San Antonio goaltender Travis Scott, Springfield right wing Shane Willis, St. John’s left wing Harold Druken, Syracuse defenseman Francois Beauchemin, Utah goaltender David LeNeveu and Worcester left wing Peter Sejna. [/q]

Date: November 08, 2004 04:52PM

Oops, I missed him. Just not used to looking at UTAH nut

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 03:07AM

Just got back from the Baron's game against Edmonton out in San Jose. Yes, weird combination. Murray was out after having hip surgery last week. He thinks he'll be back in a week or so. He took time to chat with a bunch of Cornell alum who came to the game. He visited between the 2nd and 3rd period as well as a meet an greet after the game. I just want to say thanks to him and all the people who set it up. It's great to have players who still appreciate their fans and make time for them. And, man, the Barons looked lost without their assistant captain.... 0-2 and it wasn't pretty....

-John

Date: November 10, 2004 10:00AM

I am heading out to Cleveland for Murray bobblhead night, what are the chances we could meet Murray after the game? I just hope we actually get to see him play!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 12:00PM

Yeah, the Barons game last night was ugly. I would've tried to stop by the meet-and-greet but I had no idea where it was and the friend I came with had two kids waiting at hime, so he didn't want to loiter.

Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.atgi.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 12:32PM

I agree with Keith and John, ugly game last night. However, it was nice to be able to see live hockey! It's probably the only game I'll get to see this year, so I'm not going to complain too much. Having said that, the power play was terrible (my friend and I agreed they were better off at full strength) and they really need to learn how to play against the boards. Regardless, it was great to meet Murray and get my jersey signed. :-)

Brian, I'm guessing there's a place where fans can get autographs as the players leave the arena if you want to meet Murray. In San Jose, it's behind the arena outside the gated players parking lot.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.stmnca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 09:28PM

Greg Hornby was picked up by the Florida Everblades and played his first professional game last night...the Everblades lost to Idaho, 3-2, and Hornby was -1 with 2 SOG...but more importantly, he picked up a pair of fighting majors...nice to see he hasn't skipped a beat.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 01:23PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

DisplacedCornellian Wrote:
Needless to say, they don't have a very good team in front of them.[/Q]
Another year like that, eh? It's like '03-'04 with Springfield all over again. [/q]

Oh sure, take what I was gonna say, why don'tcha...

:-P

Date: November 18, 2004 05:17PM

Wondering if anybody knows what exactly Murray did to his hip flexor. I found an article saying he is not expected back any time this month. I've also heard that he had to have surgery. Any truth to these statements and what does that mean for his future in the long run.

[www.thefeeder.com]

Posted by: atb9 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 05:54AM

The surgery was in May and it was to repair a damaged Labrum in his shoulder. I believe he had finished his rehab and then injured his hip.

[www.clevelandbarons.net]

Date: November 19, 2004 07:03AM

I was already aware of the shoulder injury but I heard that he had to have surgery on his hip.

Date: November 19, 2004 08:14AM

Is that Bâby or Hornby?fight

[www.theahl.com]

Posted by: Dianne 99 (---.atgi.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:30AM

I didn't get a chace to talk to Murray much at the meet-and-greet, but he did say that he had skated that afternoon.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 12:33AM

Rough night for Leneveu, as he gave up 6 goals on 26 shots before being pulled for Pelletier (who stopped 4 of 5 shots he faced). Utah lost to Milwaukee 7-3.

Murray played tonight and assisted on a PPG, but Cleveland lost to Grand Rapids 3-2.

Bâby continues to rack up the penalty minutes, he's got 43 in 13 games played so far this season...last year he had a total of 72 in 68 games played.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: November 24, 2004 04:06AM

Vesce still leads Rogle in Sweden's Tier II league in scoring with 7g/14a.

[www.eliteprospects.com]

I can't find standings to see how the team is doing in the league overall though.

Date: November 24, 2004 08:49AM

Lenny rebounded from his last outing with 31 saves on 32 shots and got the win in a shootout. I noticed Murray is out of the lineup again in Cleveland after a brief stint.

Date: November 25, 2004 09:11AM

Bâby scored a goal enroute to a 3-0 win last night. Lenny was 32 for 33 in a 1-0 loss, his team is horrible! The opposing goalie only made 22 saves!

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 12:41AM

On Friday, LeNeveu made 39 saves in a 5-3 Utah win over Houston. Last night, Houston beat Utah 5-2, as Pelletier allowed 5 goals on 31 shots. So, through 10 games played, Lenny is 3-7 with a 2.86 GAA and a .913 save percentage. Meanwhile, through 7 games played, JMP is 0-5-1 with a 4.89 GAA and an .860 SV%.

In the ECHL, Hornby has played 7 games for the Florida Everblades and has 2 assists and 29 penalty minutes. Matt Underhill is now with the Mississippi Sea Wolves, and in 6 games, is 1-3-2 with a 3.13 GAA and a .913 SV%. On Saturday night, Underhill made 50 saves in a 5-4 loss. (Other current goaltenders in the ECHL are recent opponents of Cornell - Ayers, Doyle, Betz, Marsters, Boucher. Joe Exter is also still in the ECHL.)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 07:34AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

(Other current goaltenders in the ECHL are recent opponents of Cornell - Ayers, Doyle, Betz, Marsters, Boucher. Joe Exter is also still in the ECHL.)
[/q]
I seem to remember a recent transaction saying Ayers had been called up to the AHL team (Cincinnati?).

Nieuwendyk charity sweater
Posted by: devsrule (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 11:26PM

Hope it's okay to post this here. Nieuwendyk played in some charity 4on4 games put on by Rob Esche's Save of the Day Foundation earlier this month in Utica and Clinton, New York. The foundation is now auctioning some of the game worn sweaters including two of Nieuwendyk's - [www.pricefire.com] - and I thought maybe some folks here might be interested. They don't seem to be really promoting the auction.

I've got pictures from the Utica game where I believe the second sweater listed was worn for those that like to match pictures to sweaters - [devsrule.com] (through 23).

Hopefully posting here won't create a bidding war on the Pandolfo and Madden sweaters I want although I did feel bad enough about the lack of bids that I posted info on a BU list since they had several alum in the game.

-Melissa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login