Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard-Brown weekend

Posted by A-19 
Harvard-Brown weekend
Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 02:40AM

To those attending the Harvard-Brown games this weekend,

(1) In case you need any more reason to be hyped up, I call your attention to this oft-cited article whose writer learned the hard way: [www.thecrimson.com]

(2) For anyone who secured tix to the games in Section O, do you plan on standing? I have never sat for a single game, though several battles ensued at regional championships over the issue. I was hoping fans would be interested in standing here, given that the actual level of Harvard fans must be minimal. (Any idea how many tix they opened up to Cornellians recently? I'd have to imagine 75% + of the section is CU). The thought of sitting during the game is utterly depressing.

-Mike '04

Re: Harvard-Brown weekend
Posted by: Sam (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 05:26AM

I got two Section O tickets with the intention of taking my brother and sitting over there, but traded with a rowdy friend who wants to sit in O. He is gonna be throwing fish, screaming Section O Sucks, standing the whole time. I think you can get everyone to stand.

-- Sam

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 07:06AM

your rowdy friend sounds great

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 07:11AM

I'm all for standing! I've never sat at a Cornell hockey game yet.

I'm not sure where the Harvard parents sit, but if it's in the front of section O, then maybe they won't notice people standing behind them.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 08:23AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

(1) In case you need any more reason to be hyped up, I call your attention to this oft-cited article whose writer learned the hard way: [/q]

Tee hee!

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: November 04, 2004 09:21AM

I scored 6 of the Section O tickets through the Harvard Ticket Office - 4 through a Harvard buddy and 2 more when they went on sale to the public. We have 2 in Row 3 and 4 in Row 4.

Any idea how many total tix went to Harvard? It's sounding like CU representation in the Harvard section will be pretty much like it is in Lynah East.:-D

Date: November 04, 2004 10:15AM

Killer, you and your party have to use your six bodies to spell out "WE SUCK". :-D

Posted by: KateWithThe8 (---.umd.edu)
Date: November 04, 2004 10:42AM

Jon and I will be there this weekend, also in Section 0 and I'm sure we'd be happy to participate in any anticts, depending on the mood of the crowd. I always remember at least a few Hahvahd (sucks) fans in Section 0. You know, all six of them....

Can't wait! Let's Go Red!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2004 10:42AM by KateWithThe8.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: November 04, 2004 11:10AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

To those attending the Harvard-Brown games this weekend,

(1) In case you need any more reason to be hyped up, I call your attention to this oft-cited article whose writer learned the hard way:

-Mike '04[/q]

Although the nonsense is buried in the middle, you don't need to go that far back for inspiration:

[www.thecrimson.com]

I hope this one winds up on the locker room bulletin board.

Date: November 04, 2004 11:20AM

I love it when the Crimson writer's e-mail address is easily listed right at the bottom of the article. ;-)

Date: November 04, 2004 11:22AM

Well, I usually wear my old Cornell letter sweater to the games, so I guess I have the "C" covered.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 11:26AM

>>> Factor in Harvard’s latest crop of freshmen, who like all rookies have yet to match their upperclass counterparts’ strength training, and the benefits to the Crimson are even more pronounced. Jon Pelle, Paul Dufault and Alex Meintel, 5’8, 5’9 and 5’9, respectively, will have an easier time bringing their raw talent to bear, rather than struggle against ECAC goons who defend with their hands and sticks, not their legs. Considering the fact that conference foe Cornell comfortably qualifies for that last category, referees’ philosophical change should be a boon in head-to-head action and within the standings as well.

Thank you, Fair Harvard Crimson, for providing a worthwhile clipping for the Cornell locker room bulletin board.

Sheesh, who ever heard a sportswriter named Timothy J. McGinn? He has the right last name for a Boston paper, but it ought to be prefaced with Kevin or Mike. Wonder if he wears a bow tie to the press box? And then dusts off the seat with his pocket square before sitting?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 12:08PM

Some people just don't get it.

Go Red. Skate right through 'em.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: November 04, 2004 12:48PM

LOL, Noah Welch is such a hack. Who would've EVER predicted that this new enforcement would lead to HIM taking a lot of penalties? rolleyes

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 02:13PM

How'z'about giving us something to work with, in UHN fashion... "WE USCK" for example :-)

Posted by: NOTtheCreeper (---.pac.mannlib.cornell.edu)
Date: November 04, 2004 03:00PM

He's on the facebook too! (I'm not a stalker.)

Posted by: A-19 (---.harvard.edu)
Date: November 04, 2004 03:38PM

our group has 7 tickets in section O for harvard (and 5 the next night for brown).
i have row 2 or row 3 (i forget). assuming harvard receives all of its section O allotment, and assuming it sells back most of it, we can figure how much is CU. whoever called the earliest for tickets (for the gen. public) through harvard-- what row are you in? i reserved my tickets very early, so it sounds like the row in front of me may actually be harvard fans/parents.

i look forward to the ability to stand and yell with everyone. unlike many games, hypen is going to have to deal with a two-front attack this friday (and i don't think he has an exit strategy).

am currently perfecting my harvard/boston "insider" knowledge to make good use of cheers

ALSO IN A PLEA TO ALL PARTIES: GET THERE EARLY DAMNIT. make warmups if you really want to see players rattled.

-mike '04

Posted by: Molly (129.43.32.---)
Date: November 04, 2004 03:53PM

Does anyone know where the townies sit in section O, and how amenable they are to standers? I've never sat through a game before, and really would prefer not to!

As for the number of tickets available from the Harvard athletic office, there were 35-45 left the Thursday before all the leftover tickets were sold for the general public, if that helps anyone. I have no idea how many tickets the office started out with.

Date: November 04, 2004 04:05PM

I called at 9:02 and got Row 3, Seats 2 & 3.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (128.84.198.---)
Date: November 04, 2004 04:53PM

It should be pointed out that each player gets 2 additional tickets to the Harvard game (coming out of Section O), further limiting the amount of tickets available in Section O.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: November 04, 2004 04:59PM

It's official no fish on the ice. ::shocked::
[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

A lot of people have been wondering how throwing toys on the ice is different than throwing fish. It sounds like you should give the toys to the ushers, rather than throw it on the ice. So you're still bringing something to the game, it just ends up in a different place. Also no one mentioned (at least this time around) that if you throw a toy on the ice and people still throw fish, wouldn't that ruin the toys?

Oh and just a random anecdote for the upcoming weekend, but I was at a John Harvards in DC and when I was leaving a guy asked how the food was. I told him, "The food was good, but I'm not so sure about the school." Ok, I didn't really say the 2nd half of the sentence out loud, but I was sure thinking it! :-}

Posted by: calgARI '07 (128.84.198.---)
Date: November 04, 2004 05:08PM

also an intelligence-insulting ad in the SUN today saying to bring stuffed animals and not fish. the whole thing is ridiculous and unnecessary.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2004 05:08PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 01:40AM

[Q]Molly Wrote:

Does anyone know where the townies sit in section O, and how amenable they are to standers? I've never sat through a game before, and really would prefer not to![/q]
Townies in O are generally near the top of the section. And any non-standing section probably (on the whole) won't appreciate you standing. There's a reason there has been a boundary set over in G. There are people in those sections (who paid more money than students do) who simply aren't able to stand during the game. I understand your passion about the standing issue, but really, you have to respect those around you, some of whom have been faithfully going to Cornell games longer than some of you have been alive. Don't get irate and uppity when you're told to please sit down. Believe it or not, the game can be enjoyed while sitting. Scream your freakin head off for Cornell, jump up for goals, and stand for the Alma Mater, of course. But be respectful of other fans who want to see as much as you do.

Posted by: Molly (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 07:25AM

Thanks for the info Rich. =) I wanted to make sure I knew where the townies sat so that I wouldn't be obstructing their vision.

LGR!

Posted by: profudge (129.33.1.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 07:29AM

I second your comments Rich ( I've been in section N for 9 years and love it ) many folks around me physically couldn't stand for a whole period much less the game. Please be supportive and aware of fellow Lynah faithfull of older generations.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 07:47AM

They've been trying for 20+ years to stop this tradition. In '81, the ECAC threatened to move the game to RPI. Obviously it didn't work.

Keep it up.

LGR!

Date: November 05, 2004 10:43AM

More from the Harvard Crimson:

Evaluation of Cornell squad:

"ANALYSIS: Goaltending figured to be a prominent question for Cornell last season, but then-freshman David McKee definitively answered that question and will again be the foundation of the Big Red’s typically solid defense. He’ll need to be particularly sharp, since the new emphasis on eliminating clutch-and-grab tactics will affect Cornell more directly than any other program in the conference. Whether the historically large, slow skaters employed by Mike Schafer can adapt will determine the Big Red’s finish this season."

On Friday's game:

"And then there’s Lynah Rink, the Big Red’s home ice, where the fans toss around fish and insults with reckless abandon.

Harvard coach Ted Donato ’91 affectionately remembers Lynah as “the most hostile environment in college hockey.”

“Looking back,” Donato said smiling, “it’s one of the best venues in college hockey. A part of me wishes I still got to play.”

A part of the Crimson probably wishes he still got to play too. Maybe the erstwhile Boston Bruin could help the team crack Cornell goaltender David McKee, who allowed three Harvard goals in 120 minutes last year.

“If a goalie can see every…shot that’s taken,” Welch said, “he’s going to make a save at this level. So especially a good goalie like McKee and a great defense that packs in around the net, we’re going to have to get bodies in front. And not only [get] pucks through, but guys are going to have to get through and are going to have to be right at the doorstep.”

Against the traditionally stingy Big Red defense, the Crimson must be aggressive early. In Lynah, Cornell leads don’t disappear so easily.

“It can be a home ice advantage,” Donato said of the rink’s atmosphere, “especially if you chase from behind.”

Harvard has learned this firsthand the last three years.

But with whistles more frequent these days, there’s reason to believe that tonight’s faceoff will lead to a somewhat different game.

Notorious for larger, slower defensive skaters who wholeheartedly employ the clutch-and-grab methods of the NHL, Cornell will now find its players under the microscope—and, more often than not, in the sin bin."

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 11:14AM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

More from the Harvard Crimson:

Evaluation of Cornell squad:

"ANALYSIS: Goaltending figured to be a prominent question for Cornell last season, but then-freshman David McKee definitively answered that question and will again be the foundation of the Big Red’s typically solid defense. He’ll need to be particularly sharp, since the new emphasis on eliminating clutch-and-grab tactics will affect Cornell more directly than any other program in the conference. Whether the historically large, slow skaters employed by Mike Schafer can adapt will determine the Big Red’s finish this season."

[/q]

Wow, that locker room posting material!

Date: November 05, 2004 11:17AM

Here's an idea for a sign: "Harvard--clutch and grab THIS!" ;-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 12:59PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
Harvard coach Ted Donato ’91 affectionately remembers Lynah as “the most hostile environment in college hockey.”

“Looking back,” Donato said smiling, “it’s one of the best venues in college hockey. A part of me wishes I still got to play.”[/q]I think it's kinda funny that while the Crimson tries to rip on Lynah for whatever they can, Donato's comments seem almost admiring.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: November 05, 2004 01:51PM

What's Donato's playing record against Cornell? There's a reason he can think fondly of Lynah.

I like Donato. Class act. Even if he (and the Sucks Crimson) sucks.

Date: November 05, 2004 01:56PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

ninian '72 Wrote:

“Looking back,” Donato said smiling, “it’s one of the best venues in college hockey. A part of me wishes I still got to play.”[/Q]
I think it's kinda funny that while the Crimson tries to rip on Lynah for whatever they can, Donato's comments seem almost admiring.[/q]

One of them understands the game. :-D

As long as we're recognizing Donato's good sense and judgment, it looks as if he is in fact trying to restore the fast-paced skill-type game that was the hallmark of the Cleary teams. I'm choking on this, but those teams were a beautiful thing to watch, probably as close to a European-style game as we'll see on this side of the Atlantic. If Donato succeeds, we're in for a treat in a few years, watching the Cornell and Harvard style games go head-to-head.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 02:26PM

If Donato really wants a trip down memory lane, perhaps the Faithful tonight will resurrect the old chant "The coach is bald! The coach is bald!"

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.boeing.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 02:39PM

And I remember the Faithful getting 2 coaches in one cheer, at the '85(?) ECAC semis in the Gahden. We'd played the first game, and then RPI and Hahvahd came out for warmups. After the obligatory "coach is bald" cheers for Cleary, we turned on the RPI coach with "the coach is fat!", and then alternated (with pointing), "Bald!" "Fat!" "Bald!" "Fat!".....

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.equityresources.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 03:16PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

I think it's kinda funny that while the Crimson tries to rip on Lynah for whatever they can, Donato's comments seem almost admiring.[/q]
Of course he admires it - he went 7-3-1 against us in his playing career :-( :-( :-(

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 03:17PM

And the next year, those chants followed Mike Addessa back to Lynah.

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.equityresources.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 03:23PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
As long as we're recognizing Donato's good sense and judgment, it looks as if he is in fact trying to restore the fast-paced skill-type game that was the hallmark of the Cleary teams. I'm choking on this, but those teams were a beautiful thing to watch, probably as close to a European-style game as we'll see on this side of the Atlantic. [/q]
I agree it was beautiful, but we'll never see it again - even BC, with more talent than God, can't play like that these days.

But, how can you say it looks like Donato's trying to 'restore' that type of team? He's gotten one recruit thus far. If Sucks has gotten smaller & more finesse oriented with most of this year's freshmen, those are guys that Mazz recruited. They may cycle a little liess without Nowack & Packard, but Mazz would have done that too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login