Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

signs for harvard game

Posted by nnn 
signs for harvard game
Posted by: nnn (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 02:09AM

Just a quick survey.. How many people are making signs or bringing fish (or doing something special) for Harvard game. Any new creative ideas this year?

Re: signs for harvard game
Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 04:12AM

Has to be a surprise, of course. B-]

Date: November 03, 2004 11:10AM

duh i should have known better!!

Date: November 03, 2004 11:00PM

It's not new, but we'll be carrying on a (young) tradition; only against Sucks of course.

Posted by: hockey (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 09:41PM

i think someone should wrapp an egg in newspaper and throw it at the harvard players when everyone throws their newspaper. laugh

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 09:47PM

i am pretty amused that they'll be lining up right in front of section O, instead of their usual spot at the blue line. unknowingly, they will be standing right in front of me. bad mistake.

Date: November 04, 2004 09:58PM

how do you know they'll be lining up in front of section O? nobody does that!

Date: November 04, 2004 10:01PM

correction, no other teams do that. ever since my freshman yr when a harvard player was hit in the facemask with fish, the harvard team has tended to line uop just in front of "friendly" section O while teh ice is cleared. i assume this year's practice wioll be no different (though in some years they just line uo across the boards behind the goal)

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 10:22PM

For you last minute guys-- Head on over to Harvard's hockey roster page ( [gocrimson.collegesports.com] ... I feel dirty for posting it) and you can get some creative ideas from there. Sieve's sister's names, for example...

Date: November 04, 2004 10:25PM

LOL thats hilarious.. I think we should change the after-scoring cheer tomorrow night. Instead of saying "it's all your fault! it's all your fault!" we should say "it's all DOV's fault! it's all DOV's fault!" I think that would be a little more effective in demoralizing that poor sieve. Kinda like last year against Clarkeson when the section B singled out a weak link in the opposing team and started chanting "it's all Nickerson's fault.." (even though Nickerson wasn't the goalie, but he was just responsible for giving up that power play).

Posted by: JDeafv (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 11:11PM

I've always wanted to make a sign that said "I earned my honors degree," but the point may be missed by most folks. rolleyes

Let's Go Red! See everyone in Ithaca this weekend :)

Date: November 05, 2004 12:20AM

Jdeaf,

i'd love to make that sign actually, having spent my senior year 100% focussed on my thesis.

and MB, i'm way ahead of you on the harvard roster...look at player hobbies. apparently walsh enjoys playing checkers.

mike

Posted by: billhoward (65.169.92.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 12:20AM

Maybe:

HARVARD
GPA Inflation
GAA Inflation

Re: signs for harvard game - postmortem
Date: November 05, 2004 12:21AM

(For the post-game report, or for those of with WAP Phones during the game)

For those of us who can't be there, what were the best signs you saw?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 12:49AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

correction, no other teams do that. ever since my freshman yr when a harvard player was hit in the facemask with fish, the harvard team has tended to line uop just in front of "friendly" section O while teh ice is cleared. i assume this year's practice wioll be no different (though in some years they just line uo across the boards behind the goal)[/q]

Dude. I will pay you cash money if you land a big-ass fish right on Noah Welch's head.

Date: November 05, 2004 12:59AM

its not worth the 6 hour drive there and back to get tossed in the first 5 mins

also, not enough people know what "GAA" is to get that joke

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 01:19AM

[Q]hockey Wrote:

i think someone should wrapp an egg in newspaper and throw it at the harvard players when everyone throws their newspaper. [/q]

No.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 01:20AM

I think someone should make a sign quoting the Inferno in the original Italian, and then hold it upside down. Oh, wait, wrong rink. nut

Posted by: JDeafv (---.northgrum.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 08:46AM

A-19 (Mike) - You are most welcome to make the sign. nut

Date: November 06, 2004 12:12AM

So were there any funny, interesting, annoying, obscene, or literate signs?

Date: November 06, 2004 03:00AM

Section O sucks...I saw the sign, knew it was coming, and was the only one chanting it, haha. Lost my voice, people next to me couldn't hear.... I'll get it back before UPS comes to Lynah.

Date: November 06, 2004 03:03AM

I left my sign at home for the first time in the last 2 seasons....

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 11:04AM

There were really very few signs at all. I saw "Section O Sucks," but only once, and we never chanted it because we couldn't tell if there were any actual Sucks fans there.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 11:19AM

I think I may have spotted a single Sucks sweatshirt across the ice. There was however a Sucks-hatted fan at the bottom of section B. I think it's needless to say, but I will anyway, that he left without a hat.

Posted by: chris '06 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 06, 2004 02:15PM

we had a couple of signs over in section A...

one said "ironic we invented the Heimlich and YOU CHOKED" and the other had the score from that playoff game in which they choked

i don't know if they were legible from section O, but Hack, Flynn and Backup Sieve definitely saw them during warm ups and let us know what they thought

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 02:53PM

Haha, yeah! Was it Hyphen that launched a puck at the signs during warmup, or the other worthless sieve?

I was going to chant "Section O sucks" when the sign came up, but I didn't see a single Harvard fan, so thought it'd be worthless.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 04:00PM

[Q]chris '06 Wrote:

i don't know if they were legible from section O, but Hack, Flynn and Backup Sieve definitely saw them during warm ups and let us know what they thought[/q]

Oh come on, you have to elaborate on that :-)

Posted by: Chris '06 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 06, 2004 05:14PM

as someone else said before the backup sieve tried to launch a puck at us, and naturally missed...

Flynn tried to knock the signs over by banging his stick on the glass when he skated by...

and Hack stopped skating, surprising us all by showing his ability to read, he started laughing but he knew we had him there, so he couldn't say much...we were sure to remind him that he was nothing but a Hack for the rest of the game though

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 10:39PM

He came off the ice real late after warmups...after the zamboni came out. I ran over to the railing and yelled "Hey Welch take a few penalties tonight and cry about the ref" and he just looked up at me and laughed.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 12:11AM

Nice signs, especially the Heimlich sign. Make them think about that one.

Perhaps the biggest impact on Harvard players skating warmups in Lynah must be the depresing feeling that they could have gone to a school where the students *care* about hockey. What do the Crimson get for a typical game, 500 people, 1,000? I know you can get a decent education at Harvard (at least, it's been reported), but what about the full package -- what about being part of something really special? Is there an eWatson, er, eBright.com forum, for instance?

If the Harvard players are launching pucks at the Cornell fans' signs, either it means they're Ivy league thugs or the fans are getting to them. Mission accomplished.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.MIT.EDU)
Date: November 07, 2004 11:52AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Nice signs, especially the Heimlich sign. Make them think about that one.
[/q]

Although they also screwed us with that choke, since it prolonged Jimmy Howard's season long enough to break Lenny's GAA record.
:-(

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: November 08, 2004 12:19AM

There were a handful of Sucks fans there, though they were pretty outnumbered. I was sitting in front of Reese's parents. Nice folks, though I think they were cringing at all the abuse he seemed to be getting from people around them. When the game ended, his mom looked at me, laughed and said, "I hate you people." Guess it's good I wasn't sitting by Hyphen's parents.

BTW, speaking of signs, we snagged one of the yellow signs that said anyone from our section caught throwing fish on the ice would be expelled. My wife is going to hang it on her office door in Boston tomorrow. "Why?", you ask. 'Cause her boss (actually a really good guy) is a season ticket holder at Harvard and got us our tickets. As much as he's disliking the outcome, he'll get a good laugh out of seeing the sign.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login