Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Hockey Hats

Posted by Josh '99 
Cornell Hockey Hats
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 01:48AM

So, since I traded my Cornell CCM hat for a UM-Duluth hat at the Frozen Four last year (with valuable assistance from RichH), I've been trying to find myself a cool new Cornell Hockey hat, but with minimal success. Has anyone seen any recently? I haven't been in Ithaca lately so I don't know what the selection is like at the Campus Store, but I've never been thrilled about the options there. I'm betting there's nothing terribly impressive.

Which brings me, I suppose, to my question/idea. I think the UM-Duluth hat I have here, which was made by Zephyr, is really nice. The hat itself is maroon. The front has "Bulldogs" arched in yellow lettering with a white border, their bulldog logo under the arch with a yellow hockey stick behind it, and then below that the word "hockey" in maroon print on a small yellow field also with a white border. The back says "UMD" in about 3/4" yellow letters with "hockey" in small white print below. The bill is also maroon, but the edge of the bill is yellow, and all the way around on the left side of the bill there's a little white area with "NCAA" on it in black print. It looks really sharp altogether, IMO. Come to think of it, I can take a couple of pictures of it and save myself 1,000 words:

[angel.ac.yu.edu]
[angel.ac.yu.edu]
[angel.ac.yu.edu]

The maroon actually looks a little bit washed out because of the flash, but you get the idea.

Anyway, so here's the question. Zephyr will make custom hats if you can put together a minimum order of 144. Picture a hat like this, in either red or white, with the print in the opposite color, and perhaps black trim. A "C" in place of the bulldog logo. Assuming we got permission from CU (which I assume would be necessary), would people be interested in a hat like that? I think it would look a lot sharper than anything the campus store sells.

Re: Cornell Hockey Hats
Posted by: cornelldavy (---.stmnca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 04:42AM

Good luck with getting permission from the powers that be, but I'd get at least one.

Posted by: Rick '71 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 07:30AM

Here's where you can go to start your way through the bureaucracy:
[sao.cornell.edu]
Note that they have a list of approved vendors. If Zephyr's not on it, you'll need to find another vendor.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 08:31AM

[Q]Rick '71 Wrote:

Here's where you can go to start your way through the bureaucracy: Note that they have a list of approved vendors. If Zephyr's not on it, you'll need to find another vendor.[/q]

In order to keep the Web page as brief as possible, Cornell left out one other reason for all the rules: the revenue stream. As of last reunion, campus store had a couple Cornell hockey hats, though most were understated and none had the requisite Harvard Sucks or Screw BU inscriptions under the visor.

>>> Cornell, like most major colleges and universities, has a licensing program that regulates the use of its marks (i.e., names, trademarks, insignia, logos, images, and the like) on items such as T-shirts, caps, key chains, mugs, pens, etc. This process helps prevent bootlegging, ensures that Cornell marks are used appropriately only on products approved by the university, and that the products are manufactured under a code of conduct that prohibits sweatshop conditions. All uses of university marks, including those of schools and colleges, departments, programs, and student organizations and projects that are identified with Cornell, must be approved before any item can be ordered and produced.

If you want custom, consider this alternative: buy a Cornell hockey hat officially and then find a local T-shirt / caps store that will embroider or puff on (there's another term for this printing that I'm forgetting, but it gives the lettering a puffy 3D appearance) whatever else you want. Once you own the cap, you can modify it to your needs. Last I checked, there's no licensing that could prevent you from *adding* to what's already on a licensed piece or Cornell sportswear.

You also could start with a blank cap or T-shirt and get a local shop to put on what you want. They won't run off orders of 100 because of liability issues but they'll do one or two.

One caveat: I bought last June for myself and our boys about four Cornell hockey / lacrosse caps at the campus store. Two of them began to unravel at the peak of the cap within a month. Also a Sox cap I bought (at Fenway) about a year ago with the official MLB logo was 2 hat sizes smaller than the tag claimed. Even when you pay top prices for caps, QC isn't what it ought to be.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 09:24AM

This is probably a stupid question, but...why on Earth did you get rid of your Cornell hat?

And, if your hat idea goes through, I'd get one, so long as it's big enough to fit my big fat head. Normal hats don't fit my head, so I'd need something larger.

Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---.painewebber.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 09:42AM

I would definitely get one...

On another note...any idea how to get a Cornell CCM hat?

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 10:30AM

I do like them, Sam I am. I do like green eggs and ham.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 10:39AM

[Q]Note that they have a list of approved vendors. If Zephyr's not on it, you'll need to find another vendor.[/q]

It seems likely that Zephyr will be on the "Collegiate Licensing Company" list.

FWIW, I own a NY Rangers Zephyr cap, and it's the bomb. One of the best-made caps I own.

Kyle

Posted by: puff (132.236.144.---)
Date: November 03, 2004 11:25AM

i'd most likely be interested depending on cost.

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.178.---)
Date: November 03, 2004 11:52AM

billhoward Wrote:
One caveat: I bought last June for myself and our boys about four Cornell hockey / lacrosse caps at the campus store. Two of them began to unravel at the peak of the cap within a month. [/q]

Did you return the hats? I bought a Champion sweatshirt at the campus store in 1998 and within a month the whole side seam unraveled - waist to arm pit. They did an exchange through the mail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2004 12:24PM by nyc94.

Date: November 03, 2004 12:13PM

Um, no, I didn't return them. I should. I probably will. Our boy, all 105 pounds of him, fancies himself the next Ken Dryden and proudly wears the hat to all his peewee or midget games before getting dressed. He doesn't want to give it up.

No reason the campus store shouldn't take them back becasue they just debit the supplier for shoddy merchandise, as well the store should.

I more annoyed about the Sox cap being two eighth-sizes too small. My hats, my helmets, everything is a 7-1/4. Even the 7-1/2 I got turns out to be too tight, so actually it's 3/8 too tiny as a regular cap, 2/8 too tiny if it's a true sports cap where you don't want it flying off while chasing fly balls. I think I got a better chance getting money back from Cornell than MLB.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: November 03, 2004 01:16PM

Zephyr is on Cornell's list of approved vendors. The Store is aware of the interest and looking at the vendor.

Cornell does limit the range of graphics and text available for the Store to use, so if you're looking for something truly extraordinary you'll probably need to go solo. For instance, I doubt the University would ever approve a H****** Sucks hat...actually, H****** would probably have to approve that one.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: November 03, 2004 01:36PM

Bill,

Is your Sox hat from New Era? I find they tend to shrink about an eight-size after some use. A new 7 1/2 fits me but gets to be too small after a couple of months; a new 7 5/8 is loose but fits me perfectly after some wear. Something you might want to consider.

Date: November 03, 2004 02:13PM

yes, one Sox cap is from New Era and it's always been tight. I don't want to wash it for fear it will shrink even more, but washing also fades the cap and then it will not look as if I bought the cap in the last two weeks. My faith in the Sox goes back a bir further and I'm still trying to get over the Sox losing Carlton Fisk to the White Sox.

I also have a second adjustable fit Sox cap, Twins Enterprise via Lightwear, Bellingham, WA, that has been modified with fiber optics outlining the B. Flip the switch, the thing lights up and blinks like the outline of a Ferris wheel. It was quite effective when I gave a lecture in Boston just as the Yankees were going 3-up on the Sox and the audience figured all us New York-based liberal elite pinko journalists and editors dooing the talk were also Yankee fans. The cap is good for a laugh and if you want shock value or garish or in your face, a blinking-outlined-letter cap doesn't come much better. The company can modify anyone's official hats. They ship a batch off to the PRC for fiber-optic stranding and they come back something like a month or two later. I don't know what the minimum quantity is; I believe for existing styles (eg major league sports teams) it's a 10- or 25-cap minimum. We paid either $50 per hat or $50 for two. The Sox cap we got were sourced through a Clarkson grad married to my old Cornell girlfriend who have found common ground at Fenway in summer if not Lake Placid or Albany in March.

Lightwear may be so big they may check with the team/school to make sure it's okay. On the other hand, I suppose at the least they'd be amenable to illuminating a generic red cap with a generic C on it, and outside of maybe the Colgate games, it'd be clear whose side you were on when you light the sucker off.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 04:27PM

oh god, trademark infringement, don't remind me..

Posted by: nnn (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 04, 2004 12:29PM

wait, so where is the best place to get a cornell hockey hat then? what are you suggesting?

Date: February 23, 2005 02:34AM

I've been told that the Campus Store has ordered Cornell Hockey hats from Zephyr, and they should be arriving shortly. Just thought you all would like to know.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 09:45AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

I've been told that the Campus Store has ordered Cornell Hockey hats from Zephyr, and they should be arriving shortly. Just thought you all would like to know.[/q]

Will they fit my big fat head?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:10AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

I've been told that the Campus Store has ordered Cornell Hockey hats from Zephyr, and they should be arriving shortly. Just thought you all would like to know.[/q]

Anyone got a picture of them? I guess I'm in the market for a new Cornell hat. (I'm afraid I'll be dissatisfied with the current fashion of bills that are so curved they enter your peripheral vision.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 23, 2005 10:53AM

A) Will, I don't really know anything about the sizing, but having seen your massive, Schafer-esque head, I'm inclined to say that they won't fit. :-P No, I'm just kidding, I really have no idea. Go check them out and see for yourself.

B) JTW, I suggested that they go with a style similar to Zephyr's "Chopper" hat, seen here:
[www.zhats.com]
Although I guess the hat probably won't look exactly like that (for instance, I think it's safe to assume it won't say "Minnesota" on the front of it), it seems to be a curve that's common to many of Zephyr's hats. If it's too much curve for your taste, I guess there must be some way to flatten it a bit.

Posted by: jackal (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:50AM

Just talked to the store, they said the zephyr hats will be in the the next couple of weeks, but they don't have an exact date since they've never ordered from them before.
-jackie

Date: February 23, 2005 12:08PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

A) Will, I don't really know anything about the sizing, but having seen your massive, Schafer-esque head, I'm inclined to say that they won't fit. No, I'm just kidding, I really have no idea. Go check them out and see for yourself.[/q]

I know you're kidding, but this is a serious concern for me. Generally speaking, I don't wear hats anymore because my head is so huge. It looks fine proportionately to my body I think, but that doesn't make it any easier to find hats to fit around my abnormally large skull. In any case, once I know they're in the store, I will go check them out for myself.

Date: February 23, 2005 12:19PM

How excessively huge is your head? Bigger than an 8 (the largest size New Era makes)?

Date: February 23, 2005 12:22PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

How excessively huge is your head? Bigger than an 8 (the largest size New Era makes)?[/q]

I don't know. How does one measure one's hat size? All I know is that standard baseball caps do not fit my head anymore.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:23PM

"I'm not kidding, that boy's head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Aye, now that was offsides, now wasn't it? He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow."

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:25PM

[Q]Will Wrote:I don't know. How does one measure one's hat size? All I know is that standard baseball caps do not fit my head anymore.[/q]

Place your head "flat" on the ice. If the vertical space created by the curvature of your head is greater than one half inch high, your head is "excessively huge," and your team will be penalized two minutes.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 23, 2005 01:36PM

The Zephyr hats are fitted and will run in sizes from 6-5/8 to 8. It looks like they'll sell for $15.95.

The store also received a new Cornell hockey hat from Gear. It's adjustable, Red with "Cornell Hockey" (in white) across the front & on top of crossed sticks (white) all outlined in black. On the left side is the bear (brown) leaning on a "C" (Red) all outlined in white. Across the back, above the cut-out is an arching "Cornell University" (black). It has a curved duck bill in front with a black edge and has the words "Big Red" (in Red) repeating along the bill's edge. It's $17.95.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 23, 2005 01:56PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

The Zephyr hats are fitted and will run in sizes from 6-5/8 to 8. It looks like they'll sell for $15.95.

The store also received a new Cornell hockey hat from Gear. It's adjustable, Red with "Cornell Hockey" (in white) across the front & on top of crossed sticks (white) all outlined in black. On the left side is the bear (brown) leaning on a "C" (Red) all outlined in white. Across the back, above the cut-out is an arching "Cornell University" (black). It has a curved duck bill in front with a black edge and has the words "Big Red" (in Red) repeating along the bill's edge. It's $17.95. [/q]

That sounds pretty cool. Can anyone take a picture of one with a digital camera?

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 23, 2005 01:57PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

jmh30 Wrote:

How excessively huge is your head? Bigger than an 8 (the largest size New Era makes)?[/Q]
I don't know. How does one measure one's hat size? All I know is that standard baseball caps do not fit my head anymore.[/q]

measure the circumfrence in inches and divide by 3. Not sure if hat size really uses pi or not, but 3 is close enough, given the lack of quality control on the hats in the first place.

Date: February 23, 2005 02:03PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

measure the circumfrence in inches and divide by 3. Not sure if hat size really uses pi or not, but 3 is close enough, given the lack of quality control on the hats in the first place.
[/q]

Maybe the hats are made in Alabama? (Or Kansas, or Oklahoma, or wherever the pi=3 urban legend is set these days.)

Date: February 23, 2005 04:14PM

[Q]Will Wrote:
I don't know. How does one measure one's hat size? All I know is that standard baseball caps do not fit my head anymore.[/q]I've got a little hat-size measuring tape that New Era ships with their fitted hats. I'll bring it next time I make it to a game.

Date: February 23, 2005 04:20PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:
The Zephyr hats are fitted and will run in sizes from 6-5/8 to 8. It looks like they'll sell for $15.95.[/q]Sweet! The store has other fitted Cornell hats, but it's still awesome that these will be as well. 8 might even fit Will's massive head. :-P

[Q]ithacat Wrote:
The store also received a new Cornell hockey hat from Gear. It's adjustable, Red with "Cornell Hockey" (in white) across the front & on top of crossed sticks (white) all outlined in black. On the left side is the bear (brown) leaning on a "C" (Red) all outlined in white. Across the back, above the cut-out is an arching "Cornell University" (black). It has a curved duck bill in front with a black edge and has the words "Big Red" (in Red) repeating along the bill's edge. It's $17.95. [/q]Those hats are pretty cool too. I like the wording on the bill's edge (although some people don't) but the bear/C on the side of the hat is a little much for me (or else I might have bought one).

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 06:47PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Robb Wrote:

[/Q]
Maybe the hats are made in Alabama? (Or Kansas, or Oklahoma, or wherever the pi=3 urban legend is set these days.)[/q]

I think it really did happen in Indiana.

John googles Indiana pi and clicks the first link

Yup. It passed 67-0 in the Indiana house only to be postponed indefinitely in the Senate on 2/12/97.

...that's 1897 in case you were wondering.

[tafkac.org]

Date: February 23, 2005 06:56PM

ditto on the digital pic, if someone can post one

the cornell store is not known for a good or updated online catalog

i'm also still waiting for cornell to get Twins Enterprises to make them hats (they make all the "unofficial" redsox, yankees etc hats). they're one of the few companies whose hats fit well.

-mike

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 06:58PM

i was looking to see if the cornell store had the hats in stock online. so i went to [www.store.cornell.edu]

and saw a link that said "Get the new Cornell Hockey hat!" It led me to the hats, which included these (2 colors) hats:

[csop.cbs.cornell.edu]
[csop.cbs.cornell.edu]

hey..they're fitted hats :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2005 06:59PM by pfibiger.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 07:19PM

I was really surprised to see the Snopes confirms the Idiana pi story of 1897 (though it debunks claims that this happened again more recently in Alabama).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2005 07:20PM by KeithK.

Date: February 23, 2005 08:00PM

According to [www.davidmorgan.com] my head circumfrence is 25 1/2 inches and my hat size is 8 1/8. And that's with pulling the measuring tape around my head tight too. Crap.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:23PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

i was looking to see if the cornell store had the hats in stock online. so i went to

and saw a link that said "Get the new Cornell Hockey hat!" It led me to the hats, which included these (2 colors) hats:

hey..they're fitted hats[/q]

yark yark yark

Date: February 24, 2005 12:16AM

But the Indiana bill was more complicated than just pi=3. They tried to legislate a different rational value for each diameter they could think of.

Date: February 24, 2005 12:23AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

According to my head circumfrence is 25 1/2 inches and my hat size is 8 1/8. And that's with pulling the measuring tape around my head tight too. Crap.[/q]

It might stretch. I have an England cricket sunhat that only came in one size, a little too small for my big-but-not-gargantuan head, and I've been stretching it on my melon since I bought it last summer.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:36AM

This hat at ivysports just has a C on it, but I thought it looked like high quality (at least from the pictures)

[ivysport.com]

Date: February 24, 2005 02:35AM

i have the hat from ivysport. it sucks. it's essentially the same one they sell @ the store. the bill doesn't bend well, it's a really high hat and it just looks weird.

i have been in search of a decent fitting (fitted) cornell hat since i was admitted in 1999, and all i have is a collection of equally sucky fitting ones. the stretch hats just don't fit well i think

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 11:53AM

too bad new era doesn't make a cornell hat....I really like their 59-50 collection

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 12:37PM

I really liked their 5950 collection before it started being catered to the "hip-hop culture" (can you believe I'm a junior in college? I sound like my grandfather). Now the crown rises more every year and the brim attachment gets less controlled and more offset (does anyone appreciate quality anymore?). I've worn a New Era Yankee cap the majority of the days of my life and have really been bothered by this. Thankfully, through their website they have rereleased the "low profle" caps that look normal on one's head when worn like a cap was meant to be worn. I guess now all I have to worry about are the MLB players looking like idiots. Oh well, small victories I suppose.

Oh, and A-19, ditto on the Cornell hat dilemma.

Date: February 24, 2005 03:28PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:
I really liked their 5950 collection before it started being catered to the "hip-hop culture" (can you believe I'm a junior in college? I sound like my grandfather). Now the crown rises more every year and the brim attachment gets less controlled and more offset (does anyone appreciate quality anymore?). I've worn a New Era Yankee cap the majority of the days of my life and have really been bothered by this. Thankfully, through their website they have rereleased the "low profle" caps that look normal on one's head when worn like a cap was meant to be worn. I guess now all I have to worry about are the MLB players looking like idiots. Oh well, small victories I suppose.[/q]I've had the same problem with the last couple of 5950 hats I've ordered, that the brim isn't really centered as well as I'd like. The low profile caps aren't as widely as available as would be nice.

I got a nice Cornell hat last time I was at the store, fitted, made by Legacy athletic, plain red with a white C on the front and Cornell in small letters across the bottom of the back. Fits me pretty well. Runs a little larger than the 5950s do, but I figure it'll shrink a little bit.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: February 24, 2005 03:44PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

I really liked their 5950 collection before it started being catered to the "hip-hop culture" (can you believe I'm a junior in college? I sound like my grandfather). Now the crown rises more every year and the brim attachment gets less controlled and more offset (does anyone appreciate quality anymore?). I've worn a New Era Yankee cap the majority of the days of my life and have really been bothered by this. Thankfully, through their website they have rereleased the "low profle" caps that look normal on one's head when worn like a cap was meant to be worn. I guess now all I have to worry about are the MLB players looking like idiots. Oh well, small victories I suppose.

Oh, and A-19, ditto on the Cornell hat dilemma.[/q]

I actually like the hip-hop style. I'm not the type that wears a cap the traditional way (I leave my brim unbent) To each his own.....

Date: February 24, 2005 09:36PM

Of course. Definitely not meaning to criticize anybody's style. It's just not my cup of tea.

Date: February 24, 2005 09:38PM

Yeah, I have one of those hats. It's not bad, except that it sits up a little higher on my head than I'd like. Anyway, I'm pretty particular, so I may not be the best judge. Either way, I'm excited for a new hat made by a respected brand.

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 10:11PM

I have a CU hockey hat that I bought while visiting the Campus Store last year. Its a red low profile hat with a simple white "C" over crossed sticks and "Cornell" on the back., manufactured by Legacy. I like it because it is understated, and its holding up well with lots of use.

Date: March 01, 2005 06:20PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

ithacat Wrote:

The store also received a new Cornell hockey hat from Gear. It's adjustable, Red with "Cornell Hockey" (in white) across the front & on top of crossed sticks (white) all outlined in black. On the left side is the bear (brown) leaning on a "C" (Red) all outlined in white. Across the back, above the cut-out is an arching "Cornell University" (black). It has a curved duck bill in front with a black edge and has the words "Big Red" (in Red) repeating along the bill's edge. It's $17.95. [/Q]
That sounds pretty cool. Can anyone take a picture of one with a digital camera?[/q]

Actually, Age did: [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 01, 2005 06:34PM

i like the pissed-off-bear-leans-on-C logo alot, and it's a shame we don't use it more in our apparel etc.

Date: March 02, 2005 02:16AM

Ditto. Can't say the same for the newish, bear tearing through/wrapped around C thing. It's alright, but I dunno. Something a little too cartoonish I think.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 06:48AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It looks like a bear pissed that he's caught in a vise. There was no reason to move away from the leaning bear, and I'd love it if they moved back.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 02, 2005 07:56AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
There was no reason to move away from the leaning bear, and I'd love it if they moved back.
[/q]

I could swear we've discussed this before, and the raison d'etre of Huggy Bear is that Athletics wanted a logo that they had control over.

Date: March 02, 2005 08:14AM

I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but what the hell, I piss people off all the time. Am I the only one who never really liked the leaning bear? I'm not saying the new logo is any better. I just never saw the leaning bear as being very appealing.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:31AM

I love the grumpy bear - just the right mix of arrogance and pissed-off-itude. Plus, in my mind it always evokes the image of Ken Dryden leaning on his stick, though of course it is a rather different "lean." I'm sure the designer of the grumpy bear never thought about that (for all I know, grumpy bear predates Dryden), but I like it. Besides, that bear looks genuinely mean, as oppsed to the "cartoonish fierceness" of many logos.

Date: March 02, 2005 11:03AM

The bear leaning on the C is my favorite of the two. I think UCLA used to use that logo as well -- don't know which one predated the other -- before moving to a scripted logo.

To me, the problem with the new logo's look is that the arms and paws of the bear look amateurish. I think the bear's head and face look pretty cool. Maybe if they got rid of the arms & paws, filled in the blocked C and enlarged the head (to fill in the space lost when removing the left paw) it'd look more appealing to me.

Posted by: Gabe Heafitz 98 04 (---.hbo.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 11:58AM

Getting back to the issue of the hats, are they available on-line at all, like at the Campus Store's site? I can see references to it at store.cornell.edu, but I don't think I see anything like the hats pictured above in this thread.

If I'm being a doofus and it's clear where one can see it and buy it, forgive me...

Date: March 02, 2005 10:33PM

not on my watch, gabe

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:24AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but what the hell, I piss people off all the time. Am I the only one who never really liked the leaning bear? I'm not saying the new logo is any better. I just never saw the leaning bear as being very appealing.[/q]

or fierce

Date: March 03, 2005 09:55AM

[Q]Gabe Heafitz 98 04 Wrote:

Getting back to the issue of the hats, are they available on-line at all, like at the Campus Store's site? I can see references to it at store.cornell.edu, but I don't think I see anything like the hats pictured above in this thread.[/q]

Currently the only hockey hat available online is the one knitted by a group of grandmothers in Vermont (very nice, very warm, and proceeds go to the hockey program, I believe). You'll have to call the store to order one of the Gear hats.

800-624-4080

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 03:46PM

So I went to the store today and looked for the hat in the picture and the new one and didn't see either. Did they drop the old hat when they ordered the zephyr one?

Date: March 04, 2005 04:01PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

So I went to the store today and looked for the hat in the picture and the new one and didn't see either. Did they drop the old hat when they ordered the zephyr one?[/q]

:-/ I wanted to get one of those.

Posted by: Gabe Heafitz 98 04 (---.hbo.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 04:01PM

Can someone post an update when the Zephyr hats become available? Thanks!

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 09:41PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

So I went to the store today and looked for the hat in the picture and the new one and didn't see either. Did they drop the old hat when they ordered the zephyr one?[/q]

Both hats are in the store. The knitted hats (in either Red or White) are in the back of the clothing area by the textbooks, and there's also a display in the front of the store on a table with the Images of Cornell book. The Gear hat is on the wall in clothing, with the rest of the baseball-style caps.

Posted by: Daniel (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 01:51AM

Bump

Some by Friday?
Date: March 08, 2005 12:13PM

Zephyr's trying to get a partial order to the store by Friday.

Re: Some by Friday?
Date: March 08, 2005 12:53PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

Zephyr's trying to get a partial order to the store by Friday. [/q]

Hope the Gear hats are still there. uhoh

Re: Some by Friday?
Date: March 08, 2005 01:04PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Hope the Gear hats are still there.[/q]

Looks like there's a couple of dozen in the store.

Some Zephyr hats shipped on Tuesday
Date: March 10, 2005 12:33PM

Hopefully, the store will have them by Friday.

Zephyr hats
Date: March 10, 2005 02:49PM

The Cornell Store has some Zephyr hats. They're more understated than the Gear hats. They look pretty cool, though I think I like the Gear ones better (adjustable & I love the bear).

Re: Zephyr hats
Date: March 10, 2005 02:57PM

Awesome. Any chance we could get a picture or a more detailed description?

Damn, just another reason I wish I could make it to Ithaca this weekend.

Date: March 11, 2005 09:36AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Awesome. Any chance we could get a picture or a more detailed description?

Damn, just another reason I wish I could make it to Ithaca this weekend.[/q]

First, why would anyone need a reason for coming to Ithaca, unless one needed to convince one's spouse, partner, or boss.B-]

I have a picture of the Gear and Zephyr hats. I can't, however, figure out how to load it into a message on the board. If anyone wants to send me their email address, I'll reply and attach a copy of the picture.

LGR...

Date: March 11, 2005 12:03PM

If you'd like, you can email it to me (address is in my profile) and I'll post the picture.

Date: March 11, 2005 01:04PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

If you'd like, you can email it to me (address is in my profile) and I'll post the picture.[/q]

Thanks, Josh.

Date: March 11, 2005 01:16PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:
Thanks, Josh. [/q]No prob. Pics to be posted later this afternoon.

New Hat Photos
Date: March 11, 2005 03:20PM

Gear hat (previously discussed) on the left, new Zephyr hat on the right

Back of the Zephyr hat

Side of the Zephyr hat

Side of the Gear hat

Re: New Hat Photos
Date: March 11, 2005 03:33PM

Hmm, I have to say, I think I actually like the Zephyr hat better. Except it's not adjustable; how do I figure out my hat size again? (I know, it's above somewhere.)

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2005 03:36PM

The Zephyrs fit very nicely, but I think my biggest issue was color. The Gear hats are very pink. The Zephyr red is perfect. They're a bit darker than they appear in the photos.

Date: March 11, 2005 03:41PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Hmm, I have to say, I think I actually like the Zephyr hat better. Except it's not adjustable; how do I figure out my hat size again? (I know, it's above somewhere.)[/q]I'm inclined to say that rather than measuring your head, you're better off going and trying them on. Different brands run big or small, just like any other kind of clothing.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 04:42PM

The Zyphyr hats are kinda ugly, personally. Way too much black stitching on them for my taste. The gear hats are not the correct red for most Cornell athletic gear but atleast they are red and white.

Posted by: puff (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 04:54PM

Yes, better to buy in person, but when you're 1200 miles away, makes it difficult for a day trip. As it is i'm clinging to hope that i'll be able to get leave approved next weekend if we make it to Albany. Doesn't leave much time in the way of a trip by Ithaca.

Date: March 11, 2005 05:02PM

The hats are a better Red than the pictures show. It was a rush job.

The Zephyr hat is close to the official pantone, if not actually it. The Gear hat is a little more muted, having a washed look to it.

Date: March 11, 2005 08:34PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Hmm, I have to say, I think I actually like the Zephyr hat better. Except it's not adjustable; how do I figure out my hat size again? (I know, it's above somewhere.)[/Q]
I'm inclined to say that rather than measuring your head, you're better off going and trying them on. Different brands run big or small, just like any other kind of clothing.[/q]

Given that I need it for Columbus (even if we're not there I want to be wearing a Cornell hat) or the regionals, I won't have the chance to try it on first. The only thing would be to go try on another school's Zephyr hats somewhere locally and hope the same model fits the same.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2005 05:12PM

If by "muted" you mean "pink" yark

Date: March 12, 2005 09:25PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

If by "muted" you mean "pink"[/q]

Yes, muted is a rarely used color & some say it's the new pink.

Date: March 12, 2005 09:39PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:
CowbellGuy Wrote:
If by "muted" you mean "pink"[/Q]
Yes, muted is a rarely used color & some say it's the new pink.[/q]Does that mean it's only a matter of time before muted is the new black? nut

Date: March 12, 2005 10:12PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Does that mean it's only a matter of time before muted is the new black? [/q]

Absolutely, black...I mean, muted is back. laugh (sorry)

Let's Go Red.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 01:48PM

Anyone else find the Sieve hat for sale on the USCHO Store site a bit confusing?
[shop.uscho.com]

It says "Sieve! The puck stops here"
Isn't the point that the Sieve is not stopping the puck?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login