Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Penalty for Throwing Fish

Posted by trojan man 
Penalty for Throwing Fish
Posted by: trojan man (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 07:14PM

Is it true that there will be no warning issued this year after fish are thrown? that it's going to be an automatic minor on Cornell if anything at all is thrown onto the ice?

This is a disgrace, one of the greatest parts of this rivalry is the throwing of fish at Lynah Rink. And the last few years, the ECAC seems to be suffocating the rivalry by making stupid rules against the fish throwing.

And why the hell doesn't the ECAC try to market this game to CSTV instead of games like Dartmouth-Princeton, Cornell-Harvard at Lynah is the showcase of the ECAC regular season (and there's a lot of history/stories to draw on between the schools that would make for really good material on television.) ABC doesn't put Miami-UNC on primetime, they put Miami-Florida St on primetime. Mind-boggling that they haven't tried to use the Cornell-Harvard matchup as a showcase.

Re: Penalty for Throwing Fish
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 07:29PM

[Q]trojan man Wrote:

Cornell-Harvard at Lynah is the showcase of the ECAC regular season (and there's a lot of history/stories to draw on between the schools that would make for really good material on television.) ABC doesn't put Miami-UNC on primetime, they put Miami-Florida St on primetime. Mind-boggling that they haven't tried to use the Cornell-Harvard matchup as a showcase.[/q]

If you're talking about a rivalry, Cornell-Harvard has competition from Clarkson-St. Lawrence, RPI-Clarkson, and of course Harvard-Yale. These past few years notwithstanding, I would say that usually Clarkson-St. Lawrence is the big game(s) of the conference.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 07:34PM

That is totally unfair, considering that newspapers are thrown on the ice every game without any penalty called. How can that be allowed but fish not be? I understand that it takes longer to pick up the fish and it hurts the ice, but the penalty that will be assessed will be assessed for throwing objects onto the ice. Newspapers are objects as are fish and so are stuffed animals I might add.
I think that it is unfair that certain people, mostly Cornell administrators, and Schafer included, try to rule on a tradition that far extends before their times at Cornell. Whether people think it's stupid or unnecessary is insignificant because it is a tradition that has long been embraced by the Cornell students. Nobody should have the jurisdiction to rule on this tradition unless it got out of hand.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 08:27PM

Does anyone know if similar penalties are assessed to Princeton (or is it Dartmouth?) when they throw tennis balls at the opposing goalie?

Maybe where they draw the line is what could physically affect a player. A fish smacking you in the face is (theoretically) going to affect you a lot more than a crumpled up newspaper.

...I dunno.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 31, 2004 08:31PM

Wait, is the penalty for any fish AT ALL? Usually they try to threaten people a week or so before with JAs and such, but by game time they usually say go ahead and throw them now and then dont throw anymore. Like 3 years ago people threw at the beginning of the 2nd and we got a penalty and rightly so, since at that point it just disrputs the game. If other years are any indication theyre all talk and once it becomes gametime they let up and back off.

Date: October 31, 2004 08:35PM

I'm totally for penalties for throwing fish after the players first come out. Like ten years ago when harvard had an amazing team and Cornell did not have such an amazing team, someone threw a fish onto the ice at the beginning of the second period and Harvard scored on the ensuing powerplay, breaking the 1-1 tie. Harvard would hold on for the 2-1 win. McCutcheon was outraged.
There should be penalties assessed every time fish are thrown onto the ice after the players come out for the first period. That is what I mean by things getting out of hand. But the tradition of throwing fish on to the ice when the players come out should not be tampered with as its lifespan precedes any person in power's tenure.

Posted by: jim (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 08:43PM

so can you get thrown out of the game if the guys in the aisle see you throwing fish?

Posted by: michelle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 08:58PM

YES you can get thrown out of the game if an usher see's you throw a fish. They are the ones that are suppose to be looking for it.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 09:25PM

Yes, you *CAN* get thrown out for throwing fish - but I've never seen it (when fish were thrown when the players first skate out)! I've been to the last 5 and the attitude seems to be : "If you got it through the security, you can throw it on the ice, but only when the players first skate out."

After that, do not throw anything on the ice (newspaper is ok once the lineups are finally announced) or you will be thrown out - I've seen this almost every year for the last 5.

The rink crew is prepared for the fish, so are the officials, and the players.

Also - arriving very early is the best way to get fish into the rink.

Let 'em fly!

Let's Go Red! See everyone in Ithaca this week.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2004 09:30PM by JDeafv.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 09:47PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
...the tradition of throwing fish on to the ice when the players come out should not be tampered with as its lifespan precedes any person in power's tenure.[/q]

A statement like that just serves to demonstrate how brief your own tenure is, Ari. The tradition of throwing fish when the players first come out for introductions is all of about eleven years old. Before that, the tradition was to throw fish when Cornell scored their first goal against Harvard.

Beeeej (who remembers what it's like to walk out of Lynah after a shutout with a fish in the same place it was when he walked in)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 09:54PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
Beeeej (who remembers what it's like to walk out of Lynah after a shutout with a fish in the same place it was when he walked in)[/q]
Traditions should only be changed for good reason. nut

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 10:00PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Like ten years ago when harvard had an amazing team and Cornell did not have such an amazing team, someone threw a fish onto the ice at the beginning of the second period and Harvard scored on the ensuing powerplay, breaking the 1-1 tie. Harvard would hold on for the 2-1 win. McCutcheon was outraged.[/q]

It was the last game he ever coached against Hahvahd and the last game of the ten-year RS winless streak against the Crimson. For more, see [www.amurgsval.org]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: October 31, 2004 10:46PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
...the tradition of throwing fish on to the ice when the players come out should not be tampered with as its lifespan precedes any person in power's tenure.[/Q]
A statement like that just serves to demonstrate how brief your own tenure is, Ari. The tradition of throwing fish when the players first come out for introductions is all of about eleven years old. Before that, the tradition was to throw fish when Cornell scored their first goal against Harvard.

Beeeej (who remembers what it's like to walk out of Lynah after a shutout with a fish in the same place it was when he walked in)[/q]

Maybe so, but my point about allowing the throwing of fish against Harvard because it has been done since 1973, still stands

Posted by: strixvaria (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 31, 2004 11:29PM

Two years ago, I was thrown out for throwing a fish at the "appropriate" time even though one of the ushers had told me explicitly that we could throw them at the beginning. I was NOT happy. Be careful.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 01:48AM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:
Does anyone know if similar penalties are assessed to Princeton (or is it Dartmouth?) when they throw tennis balls at the opposing goalie?[/q]If I'm not mistaken, Dartmouth has been assessed penalties for throwing tennis balls on the ice. (Ben?)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 08:04AM

When I was on Campus (78-82), the fish were thrown between the second and third period - after the figure skater and just before Harvard came out for third period warm-ups.

I also remember that when Brock Treadway got a hat trick in the third period in '79 and everybody threw hats on the ice, they called us for delay of game. After all "we'd been warned." What it really comes down to is how much of an asshole the ref wants to be.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: November 01, 2004 09:27AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
Like ten years ago when harvard had an amazing team and Cornell did not have such an amazing team, someone threw a fish onto the ice at the beginning of the second period and Harvard scored on the ensuing powerplay, breaking the 1-1 tie. Harvard would hold on for the 2-1 win. McCutcheon was outraged.[/Q]
It was the last game he ever coached against Hahvahd and the last game of the ten-year RS winless streak against the Crimson. For more, see[/q]

But his team won the two most important games against Harvard durign his tenure, in the 1990 ECAC quarterfinals, sending Bill Cleary into coaching retirement with two defeats.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 09:50AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

That is totally unfair, considering that newspapers are thrown on the ice every game without any penalty called. ... I understand that it takes longer to pick up the fish and it hurts the ice ...
... Whether people think it's stupid or unnecessary is insignificant because it is a tradition that has long been embraced by the Cornell students..[/q]

In shorter form, the argument is equally well put, although it may speak more eloquently to the other viewpoint.

Stupid traditions are both. Being longstanding doesn't make a tradition more proper.

Newspapers don't equal fish. Tennis balls (while projectiles) don't equal fish. Thank goodness the med school is in New York City or who knows what parts would be tossed on the ice.

Some believe the first Cornell-Harvard fish pelting, or maybe it was a live chicken tied to the cage (wonder how many Harvard men it took to capture and subdue it?), or both, was done by Harvard to Cornell goalie Dave Elenbaas circa 1972 in Boston. Since then, massive retaliation has been the order of the day and we kind of forget who fired the first shot. Are we going to be like Air Force Gen. Curtis LeMay and bomb them back to the Stone Age?

The first time you see fish go on the ice, it's kind of cool. But the second and third and tenth and twentieth time, it's a been there, seen that re-run. It's not original. To outsiders, perhaps it says, Only Ag School Boors Would Do This. And so the Cantabrigeans get to feel superior in defeat.

Sure, we (fans) are supporting Cornell hockey and we've paid our way to get in, but the game is first and foremost for the players. What do the players think ...
- thanks for supporting Cornell hockey and for demoralizing Harvard?
- maybe it's okay but not if Cornell gets a penalty?
- sheesh, there are a couple prospects in the stands with their parents and what does that say about Cornell?
- NFW; just cheer after the goals and yell "Sieve."
- other?
... my money is on "Don't do it" or "If it's going to cost us 2 minutes in the box, don't do it."

Ask Mike what he thinks. Ask Jeff.

What if everyone holds up cardboard cutouts of fish before the game and after each goal? The first two rows of Lynah Faithful could dangle them over the dasher boards on strings.

Why don't we take the fish-on-the-ice energies and put it into getting Harvard to make more seats available for the 1/08/05 game at Harvard? Maybe go to Friday's (1/07) game against Colgate, root for Colgate, and hold up signs, "This is nothing compared to Cornell." How would Harvard players feel in Boston if more people stood up Friday before the third period to salute the Cornell alma mater than struggled to their gout-laced feet for whatever musty Episcopalian hymn Harvard uses?

Maybe for that away game, Cornell could wear a special edition true-Carnelian red jersey.

It's important to blow them out in Boston because the Globe has some small impact on what the hockey world thinks of Cornell. I would hope for a 5-0 shutout with all the goals scored by freshmen, indicating Harvard is in for many more years of bad luck.

Date: November 01, 2004 10:14AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

- sheesh, there are a couple prospects in the stands with their parents and what does that say about Cornell? [/q]

I don't know what the players are thinking, but the prospects are probably thinking, "Maybe we shouldn't go to Harvard." :-D

Date: November 01, 2004 10:30AM

All your points are valid, but I disagree on one of them. I've seen the fish thrown on the ice 9 or 10 times and everytime I get the chills. The delay, although hindering on the players, is really awesome because the crowd just goes nuts and farther demoralizes Harvard. To me, it is almost he epitomy of Lynah's reputation.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 10:36AM

It's a great tradition, and it has been tempered over time with some intelligent limits. I don't understand why the league has decided to kill it off, but in the end, we have to keep our guys out of the box.

Sad, but true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2004 10:36AM by Greg Berge.

Fish Throwing
Posted by: Jessica (---.pac.mannlib.cornell.edu)
Date: November 01, 2004 10:48AM

Everyone is so worried about being allowed to throw fish and what the ramifications will be in terms of penalties and such.
I think we all agree that we don't want to get any penalties, yet we definitely want to throw fish. So the simple solution is to wait until the end of the game and then throw the fish. It will be a much sweet reward to throw the fish after we have already beaten them...just to make them feel more worse than they already did.

Date: November 01, 2004 10:57AM

The last couple years, Cornell does not get a penalty if fish are thrown when Harvard comes out for the first period. People who were seen throwing fish were thrown out last year but only about 1% of the people who threw were thrown out. After the fish are thrown the first time, the warning announcement comes and every fish thrown on the ice from that point on results in a Cornell penalty.

Re: Fish Throwing
Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 11:20AM

[Q]Jessica Wrote:
So the simple solution is to wait until the end of the game and then throw the fish. It will be a much sweet reward to throw the fish after we have already beaten them...just to make them feel more worse than they already did.[/q]

I kept a fish in my pants for an entire hockey game once.

Once.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 01, 2004 11:26AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

All your points are valid, but I disagree on one of them. I've seen the fish thrown on the ice 9 or 10 times and everytime I get the chills. The delay, although hindering on the players, is really awesome because the crowd just goes nuts and farther demoralizes Harvard. To me, it is almost he epitomy of Lynah's reputation.[/q]

I have to agree - almost seventeen years since the first time I saw it, and I'm still tickled. I've insisted on a travel plan for this Friday that will get me, my parents, and my girlfriend into our seats by 6:45 just because I don't think they should miss this. Granted, the whole thing is kind of gross, but every year someone manages to think of a new twist on "fish" that's amusing enough to make it worth being there on time.

On the other hand, I think the "How Dare They?!" attitude is a little overblown. If the refs and ushers were trying to take away the newspaper-throwing tradition, that'd be one thing - or, say, trying to get everyone to sit down during play. There's no call for something like that. But seriously, people - several pounds of dead fish are raining down around these people, sticking to the ice, requiring a significant delay and potentially endangering skaters. I'd hate to see the tradition end because it's just so bizarre and over the top, and because it's ours, dammit - but I would completely understand it. Y'all are acting like Congress is trying to infringe on your free speech rights.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 11:28AM

Here's the thing, honestly... no matter how much they announce it or threaten, or whatever... what's the chance that no fish will get tossed? At most like 0.00001% .

They can threaten all they want, but they know as well as we do that absolutely, positively, no doubt there will be some number of fish on the ice when the Hahvahd players step out there.

So they can give us a penalty for the inevitable, or they can restrict it to after that. We'll see.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 12:17PM

You cannot call a penalty after the game ends ("two minute minor to be served Jan. 8 in Boston by the Cornell bench"?) and there's some leeway 15 minutes before the game starts because it's less clearly delay of game. But still.

The "1% of fisher tossers get tossed statistic" really means that of the few people who do get tossed, they're 100 percent out of the game. How badly do you want to miss seeing Cornell play Harvard?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 01:14PM

[Q]Jessica Wrote:
I think we all agree that we don't want to get any penalties, yet we definitely want to throw fish. So the simple solution is to wait until the end of the game and then throw the fish. It will be a much sweet reward to throw the fish after we have already beaten them...just to make them feel more worse than they already did.[/q]

Um, no. Sorry.

If you throw the fish at or after the end of the game, you're interfering with the Cornell players' tradition of saluting the fans after the opposing team has left the ice. Which is not as old a tradition as fish-throwing, but it's still not one you want to mess with.

I'd have to look it up again, but I don't think NCAA rules permit minors to be called on the fans unless a warning has been announced first. However, a warning may be announced before the game starts, at the ref's discretion. That has happened at past Cornell-Harvard tilts.

Posted by: Sweetthing (---.cayugamed.org)
Date: November 01, 2004 01:52PM

Just throw your fish in the beginning it is much more fun to watch.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2004 01:53PM

[Q]Sweetthing Wrote:

Just throw your fish in the beginning it is much more fun to watch. [/q]
Did you bother to read any of this thread?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 02:14PM

This discussion occurs every year. Blah, blah, blah. Did the first poster ever mention where he got his, obviously firestarting, information?

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: November 01, 2004 02:17PM

[Q]I'd have to look it up again, but I don't think NCAA rules permit minors to be called on the fans unless a warning has been announced first. However, a warning may be announced before the game starts, at the ref's discretion.[/Q]

I think you're right that a warning is supposed to be issued. Apparently at the SLU game this weekend a bottle was thrown on the ice, and a penalty called with no warning. So maybe the refs can just do what they feel fit.

Date: November 01, 2004 04:00PM

Tossing a bottle onto the ice goes from cute (newspapers) to silly/stupid (fish) to dangerous. The referee if possible should decide if it's one jerk -- do you penalize the whole team / school? -- or if the jerk was inspired by other fans.

Then call in the cops and make it a police matter. Not a student judiciary procedure where the miscreant has to undergo sensitivity training.

If it's one jerk, how do you know he's your jerk? Imagine a Harvard fan wearing a Cornell sweatshirt tosses a a fish on ice at a critical juncture of the third period and yells, "Go Red, ref you suck, you missed an obvious penalty on Harvard." The penalty would be called on Cornell, right, and couldn't be undone ten minutes later.

Date: November 01, 2004 04:40PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

If it's one jerk, how do you know he's your jerk? Imagine a Harvard fan wearing a Cornell sweatshirt tosses a a fish on ice at a critical juncture of the third period and yells, "Go Red, ref you suck, you missed an obvious penalty on Harvard." The penalty would be called on Cornell, right, and couldn't be undone ten minutes later. [/q]

Sure, like any Harvard hockey fan would put that much effort into their actions. Or, put more simply...sure, like there are any Harvard hockey fans. :-P

Date: November 01, 2004 05:15PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

If it's one jerk, how do you know he's your jerk? Imagine a Harvard fan wearing a Cornell sweatshirt tosses a a fish on ice at a critical juncture of the third period and yells, "Go Red, ref you suck, you missed an obvious penalty on Harvard." The penalty would be called on Cornell, right, and couldn't be undone ten minutes later. [/Q]
Sure, like any Harvard hockey fan would put that much effort into their actions. Or, put more simply...sure, like there are any Harvard hockey fans.[/q]

As a practical matter, you are of course correct. Assuming Harvard has fans who could travel 375 miles and would travel that far when you have to drive just 20 miles to have a better chance of a winning weekend at Pine Manor (Pine Mattress) ... would they then be able to purchase a fish without the help of the butler and chef, figure a way to smuggle it into Lynah, degrade themselves to wear the sweatshirt of their safe school, and then get tossed out midway though the penultimate period? Assuming Harvard was still within one goal, because what's the sense of helping Harvard to a single powerplay when you're down three goals?

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 01:12AM

At least, cover your heads with some extra newspaper, folks. yark

Posted by: DL (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 09:57AM

Wasn't the alternative of using stuffed animals mentioned in a thread from years' past? Something like organizing a toys-for-tots sort of thing for the game where fans are asked to bring, say, stuffed Nemo's and deposit them with the person collecting them, who happens to be on the ice when the players come out... Going from real fish to stuffed dolls is a bit emasculating, however.
I'd suggest taping some money onto the Nemos, where the collected cash could go to Paolini's program... But then what you've got is cash being thrown at Harvard students, so it's not like they'd be intimidated by that.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 11:26AM

Well, if you're going to throw cash you might as well aim for the refs... :-D

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 03, 2004 01:30PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

This discussion occurs every year. Blah, blah, blah. Did the first poster ever mention where he got his, obviously firestarting, information?[/q]

I'm with Scott. They've tried to scare us before (e.g., in the 2000 playoffs) and it reduced the amount of fish thrown at first, but as often as not people end up waiting and throwing them with the newspapers, which just delays things more.

I think this is just FUD.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 03, 2004 01:37PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Sure, we (fans) are supporting Cornell hockey and we've paid our way to get in, but the game is first and foremost for the players. What do the players think ...
- sheesh, there are a couple prospects in the stands with their parents and what does that say about Cornell?
- other?
... my money is on "Don't do it" or "If it's going to cost us 2 minutes in the box, don't do it."
[/q]

After the sweep of Hahvahd in the 2000 ECAC Quintafinals at Lynah, we ran into one of the players at Hot Truck. He asked us why we didn't throw more fish. (This was one of the times they tried to make us think there would be a penalty for the first fish toss.) One of our party said we didn't want to hurt the team, and he said something to the effect of don't worry, we'd kill it off.

Date: November 03, 2004 02:25PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
- other?
[/Q]
After the sweep of Hahvahd in the 2000 ECAC Quintafinals at Lynah, we ran into one of the players at Hot Truck. He asked us why we didn't throw more fish. (This was one of the times they tried to make us think there would be a penalty for the first fish toss.) One of our party said we didn't want to hurt the team, and he said something to the effect of don't worry, we'd kill it off.[/q]

Aha! We're about 50 messages into the throw-fish-or-not debate and at last we've heard one hearsay but apparently factual piece of evidence. Thank you.

Date: November 03, 2004 04:18PM

The "officical word" has been released. I think he may have just copied and pasted most of last year's email.

>>>Dear hockey fans,

>>>An important hockey weekend is upon us, as the Big Red looks to open the
>>>ECAC regular seson schedule with a four point weekend against Brown and
>>>Harvard. Before all the action starts, I would like to emphasize some
>>>important issues with you.
>>>
>>>Fish
>>>Cornell is on notice that if the game vs. Harvard is delayed because of
>>>fish on the ice or if other disruptive, unsportsmanlike conduct occurs
>>>from the fans (particularly throwing objects at players or officials),
>>>the Big Red will be penalized. CU Police will be checking everyone at
>>>the entrances to Lynah and confiscating fish. Throwing objects
>>>(including candy & fish) onto the ice is prohibited and violators are
>>>subject to expulsion from the rink.
>>>
>>>Worthy Cause
>>>Instead of wasting money on fish, risking ejection from the rink or
>>>having the team penalized, why not continue a tradition that was started
>>>last year. We are asking fans to leave the fish at home and help make
>>>the holidays a little brighter for area children by bringing a new
>>>stuffed toy to the game. Toys that are collected from the ice prior to
>>>the announcement of the starting lineups will be donated to the Cops,
>>>Kids and Toys program, which benefits over 600 families and 1,600
>>>children in Tompkins County each year.
>>>
>>>Use of Profane Language
>>>People shouting obscenities are subject to expulsion from Lynah
>>>Rink. Those fans who have been found in violation of the profanity
>>>policy a second time will have their season tickets revoked.
>>>If the use of profanity continues during the Rocky Theme/Rock and Roll
>>>Part 2 (Gary Glitter) songs that are typically played at the start of
>>>the third period (Rough 'em up, Rough 'em up, GO CU!), the athletic
>>>department may be forced to remove the song from the band's
>>>repertoire. The substitution of "Rough 'em up" with "F*** 'em up" must
>>>stop. As Cornell alumni, Coach Schafer and I -- and many other CU
>>>graduates within the department and university -- revel in the
>>>atmosphere and electricity produced at Lynah when the songs are played.
>>>It is our sincere desire to continue the tradition of playing these
>>>songs. However, if the profanity does not cease, we will be forced to
>>>discontinue playing the songs, as many other Division I schools have
>>>done (Syracuse & Maryland).
>>>
>>>Thank you for your support of Big Red hockey!
>>>
>>>Sincerely,
>>>
>>>Gene M. Nighman '81

And again, people who have no jurisdiction on a tradition that preceeds them are attempting to abolish it.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: November 03, 2004 04:27PM

The tradition may precede Gene Nighman but I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say he has no jurisdiction over it.

Date: November 03, 2004 04:34PM

A wonderful worthy cause, yes. But if delay of the start of the game by throwing objects onto the ice is cause for a penalty, how is it that toys aren't in that category?

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: November 03, 2004 04:48PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

A wonderful worthy cause, yes. But if delay of the start of the game by throwing objects onto the ice is cause for a penalty, how is it that toys aren't in that category?

Beeeej[/q]

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm sure Nighman et al would argue that stuffed animals can be picked right up, like newspapers, as opposed to fish, which make the ice bad and take much longer to pick up.

Date: November 03, 2004 04:59PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
Beeeej[/Q]
I was thinking the same thing, but I'm sure Nighman et al would argue that stuffed animals can be picked right up, like newspapers, as opposed to fish, which make the ice bad and take much longer to pick up.[/q]
...except that the message included "candy" - which I presume includes unopened bags of Swedish fish, and the like - which can be picked right up as well.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 06:22PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
Beeeej[/Q]
I was thinking the same thing, but I'm sure Nighman et al would argue that stuffed animals can be picked right up, like newspapers, as opposed to fish, which make the ice bad and take much longer to pick up.[/Q]
...except that the message included "candy" - which I presume includes unopened bags of Swedish fish, and the like - which can be picked right up as well.

Beeeej[/q]

True, but you know some assclown will throw an opened bag...

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 06:27PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
Beeeej[/Q]
I was thinking the same thing, but I'm sure Nighman et al would argue that stuffed animals can be picked right up, like newspapers, as opposed to fish, which make the ice bad and take much longer to pick up.[/Q]

Beeeej[/Q]
True, but you know some assclown will throw an opened bag...[/q]

Right. He (one assumes this is going to be a he; probably a safe bet) will scarf down the cherry red and tangerine orange ones but leave the green- and purple-colored and licorice ones for the bag-toss.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 06:48PM

anytime i have seen swedish fish thrown they have:

1. been thrown in an open bag -> fish everywhere

2. been thrown in a closed bag/box -> rupture and fish everywhere

NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Re: Penalty for Throwing Fish/Gary Glitter
Posted by: KateWithThe8 (---.umd.edu)
Date: November 04, 2004 10:57AM

I was going to mention this on the forum when I saw it in Maryland's newspaper, but feared "beating a dead horse". Since it's been directly mentioned again, thought people might be interested:
This article in Sept. outlines a brief history of UMDs battle with the song:
[www.inform.umd.edu]

Along with the student reaction: [www.inform.umd.edu]

And finally a more recent update on a student petition:
[www.inform.umd.edu]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 04, 2004 11:08AM

[q]"Win or lose, we should be at the games to have fun, not to discourage the other team," said senior accounting major Fiya Lee. "That will look better for us." [/q]

Oh boy. Exactly what's needed at a sporting event. A crowd full of people with no intention of "discouraging the other team." rolleyes

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 11:58AM

While the toy idea is a lovely sentiment and a great idea, it is also a great example of the hypocrasy. They should at least be honest.

They don't want to ban the fish because it delays the start of the game, they want to ban it cause its gross and "inappropriate". If 5 people threw fish they'd get tossed (if they caught them). If 3000 people threw toys everything would be fine. And clearly the later is more a delay than the former.

Being honest with us might be a good way to start. But to pretend that delaying the game is the issue, and then proceed to suggest another way to delay the game, lacks all credibility.

Give us some credit for having the ability to connect the dots - we're Cornellians not Ohioans (sorry, I needed SOME reference there :-D ).

Posted by: beanmaestro (---.ece.ucsb.edu)
Date: November 04, 2004 05:10PM

Frankly, and I'm just playing a hunch here, I don't think the ECAC has handed Mr. Nighman a formal warning. If they had, he probably would have quoted and attributed it... I think he's just stating the existing rule in an imposing way to dissaude people from throwing fish. I think he's full of crap. And if I weren't in Santa Barbara right now, I'd be loading up on fish heads.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 07:01PM

there's another problem with throwing toys/stuffed animals: they get fish all over them when landing on the same ice at the same time.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: November 05, 2004 12:41AM

I love the contradiction. Throwing "objects" is prohibited. But throwing toys, which by definition are objects, is encouraged. Newspapers are thrown every game, despite the fact they too are "objects", yet seem to be not prohbited. Isnt there something more productive for them to do each year other than trying to scare everyone into stopping an important tradition?

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 06:19AM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

I love the contradiction. Throwing "objects" is prohibited. But throwing toys, which by definition are objects, is encouraged. Newspapers are thrown every game, despite the fact they too are "objects", yet seem to be not prohbited. Isnt there something more productive for them to do each year other than trying to scare everyone into stopping an important tradition?[/q]

Yep. I see they are encouraging fans to bring toys to donate to kids for the holidays instead of bringing fish.

Sounds like the idea is to do something nice for someone in need rather than selfishly make an ass of yourself by throwing fish and delaying the proceedings.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 09:12AM

They're also very cryptic about whether there will be a penalty or not. It does NOT flat-out say that if any objects are thrown on the ice, there will be a penalty. It says there will be a penalty if the game is delayed because of it. So get the fish on the ice quickly so the poor rink-rats can get them cleaned up, and there (theoretically) shouldn't be an issue. I doubt that Nighman has had discussions with the referee for tonight's game, so he doesn't know what the ref's opinion (the only one that matters) is.

Posted by: duffs4 (209.150.239.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 10:25AM

This is what it said on the Inside college hockey site:

[Q]• Donato will lead his team into Cornell's Lynah Rink this weekend. The normally hostile environment for visiting teams becomes downright raucous when hated Harvard comes to town. This marks the second straight year that Cornell administration is asking fans not to throw fish on the ice prior to the start of the game, instead recommending that fans shower the ice with stuffed toys. The toys will be collected and donated to the "Cops, Kids, and Toys" program.[/Q]

It says cornell admin. not NCAA or ECAC, interesting.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 10:49AM

Just throw the fish. We're not getting a penalty.

Posted by: Nathan Chicowdy 92 (66.28.239.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 01:23PM

How is this even up for discussion?

The fish is the thing.

We can lose home games down the stretch, but we'll still have the fish.
We can lose in the Frozen Four, but we'll still have the fish.
We can suffer bad calls, bad bounces, cheap hits and worse, but we'll still have the fish.
And damn it, someone may even sit in the box for two stinkin minutes and it sure as shit is worth it - because ain't no one gonna take away our fish.

Take chances, be rediculous, have fun, make no sense. You're in college for god's sake. If not now, when? If not fish, how?

Now get your ass down to Wegmans; there's only a few hours left until face off.

Posted by: fish thrower (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: November 05, 2004 02:05PM

i second that! it's tradition. throw a damn fish. i gaurentee it wont result in a penalty, unless some idiot throws one after the game has already started.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: November 05, 2004 05:42PM

Also, with the stricter obstruction enforcement this year, it's likely that both teams will have many powerplay opportunities, making each one slightly less significant overall. If a fish penalty is the difference between 4 and 5 penalties on Cornell, that's pretty significant, but if it's the difference between 10 and 11, it's not quite so bad. Of course, all that probability mumbo-jumbo goes out the window if Harvard scores on the fish penalty...

Posted by: billhoward (65.169.92.---)
Date: November 06, 2004 12:11AM

So how much seafood wound up on the ice? And would Lynah veterans say it was average, above, or below?

Posted by: puff (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 12:21AM

I don't htink there was as much thrown as there has been some years past. Although the octopus at the end of the game i have to say was exceptional. It instantly froze to the ice so when they picked it up, all the legs stuck and stretched.

Date: November 06, 2004 12:25AM

definitely below average, but i was very happy to see the administration's bluff called.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 01:01AM

I was less happy with all the fish that flew AFTER the initial wave at the pre-anthem lineup. There's just no reason for that. That's when you start to enter the penalty danger zone.

Posted by: beanmaestro (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2004 11:22AM

Hey... I just had a thought. I think some of us alums should write to Gene Nighman asking him to show more respect to Cornell's values by curbing his dishonesty in the future. Heh heh heh... :-}

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login