Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

WOW!!!!(team Statistics)

Posted by duffs4 
WOW!!!!(team Statistics)
Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 05:56PM

I was looking through the team stats for the nation and to my surprise Cornell is #1 in team offense, team defense, penalty killing, and is number four on the power play [http://www.uscho.com/stats/conf.php?conf=d1] :-O . I know we haven't played the toughest of opponents, but it's a good place to start after the first full weekend. GO RED!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2004 06:02PM by duffs4.

Re: WOW!!!!(team Statistics)
Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 06:07PM

[Q]duffs4 Wrote:

I was looking through the team stats for the nation and to my surprise Cornell is #1 in team offense, team defense, penalty killing, and is number four on the power play . I know we haven't played the toughest of opponents, but it's a good place to start after the first full weekend. GO RED!

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 10/31/04 06:02PM by duffs4.[/q]

...not to mention, tied for first in winning percentage ;-)

Perhaps more impressive, even though it's only been 2 games, is that we're second to last in the NCAA in penalty minutes per game.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 06:51PM

It's nice to see, sure, but we all know that it doesn't mean anything when it's only two games and one of them was Army. If by the end of the calendar year we're still up there, then we'll have reason to talk.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 07:08PM

Schafer must have the officials in his pocket, because everybody knows that Cornell only can play "clutch and grab." :-P

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 07:13PM

Also interesting: Last year our defensemen had a grand total of 6 goals over the entire season. This year, two games in, they've already scored 5.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 07:41PM

I'm actually writing my column this week on the blueline's offensive output over the weekend. The defense scored 9 goals last year, not 6. Gleed had 3, Cook had 2, Wallace had 2, Glover had 1, and Salmela had 1. But point taken all the same.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 07:56PM

ah yes. perhaps i should check which column i'm looking at in the elynah db when i'm adding up numbers.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 10:01AM

... the first weekend results are great. 'course, Cornell didn't exactly bring in North Dakota and Notre Dame.

Not to see the darker side, but: Wouldn't it have been nicer to have been 7-0 and 7-0 scores?

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 08:24PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Not to see the darker side, but: Wouldn't it have been nicer to have been 7-0 and 7-0 scores? [/q]

Yes, it would have, especially in the Army game. The goal was quite weak, right at the start of the third, seemed to go 5-hole on McKee from the blue-line. Not to nitpick after such an exciting weekend, even against weaker teams, but it seems like Dave can look so great one moment and lose total focus the next. Hopefully he'll improve on that with maturity.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 08:38PM

I thought Dave looked great this weekend. I think the goal he let in against army is something we used to see spoil a lot of shut outs Lenny should have had, and the one by SH, there were three Cornell players sreening him as well as a couple SH players. I think the only thing that Dave M has to prove after last year and the short beginning of this one is that he can play in the playoffs. Go Red!

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 09:29PM

I agree, I think Dave is a very good goalie, I just noted that he simply seems to let in easy goals on weak shots while he is very strong on tough plays in traffic and under pressure, etc. Anyway, let's go Dave and let's go Red.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 09:45PM

Schafer's words:

[q]"There are games last year where there is no doubt in my mind that David could have had the best goals-against average in the country. However, to do that, you can't give up many soft goals in order to achieve that status. You can go long periods, stretches without shots, and then all of a sudden, face a tough one. And that to me is what separates the great goaltenders from the good ones, for a guy to be able to stand there for a long period of time and all of a sudden face a real tough shot and control the rebound or not give up a real bad rebound or make the save. And that is the next step for David." [/q]
from [www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 10:21PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Schafer's words:

"There are games last year where there is no doubt in my mind that David could have had the best goals-against average in the country. However, to do that, you can't give up many soft goals in order to achieve that status. You can go long periods, stretches without shots, and then all of a sudden, face a tough one. And that to me is what separates the great goaltenders from the good ones, for a guy to be able to stand there for a long period of time and all of a sudden face a real tough shot and control the rebound or not give up a real bad rebound or make the save. And that is the next step for David." [/Q]
from

[/q]

So the coach is speaking to David through the Journal and letting a couple thousand others listen in.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:50AM

I'll give Schafer the benefit of the doubt that anything he's saying to the Urinal he's already said to his players.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 09:04AM

McKee seeing the coach's words in print, helps underscore the point Schafer almost certainly made already. Somebody who punches out his own hand probably isn't going to let his thoughts remain internal and not shared them with the team.

You're right that a player would be unhappy - can't ask for a trade, but he could perform below his abilities, maybe think about a transfer - if the coach doesn't say it directly first. Actually, there are instances where the coach (another school, another sport) might use the media as his messenger, for instance, "It is understood that the Alabama offense coaches have been impressed with the play of backup quarterback Bobby Rae Jordan, so much so that if starter Billy Rae Jordan had off stretches like he did in the third quarter against Vanderbilt, there'd be a possibility Bobby Rae might spell Billy Rae for a couple series of downs." That's actually the head coach telling Billy Rae to light a fire under his non-competitive butt.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 09:15AM

For that matter, Mike may not have been playing some double-bank-shot headgame... he may have just been answering an interviewer's question honestly.

(I know, November is not National Honesty Month.)

Posted by: Red Man (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 10:43AM

You're getting a little ahead of yourself there. They essentially played Hobart and Community College of the Finger Lakes last weekend. Lets see how they do against Harvard this weekend

Posted by: puff (132.236.144.---)
Date: November 02, 2004 10:51AM

It might not mean anything, but it really looks pretty.

And yep, this weekend should be a good test. Great weekend of hockey ahead of us.

Side note: my condolences to all the Navy midn who have to go to the birthday ball friday rather than the game. :`(

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 11:29AM

Besides, it's not like Schafer's comment is some great revelation. McKee knows that the goal he let in was soft. Plus the comment sounded like constructive criticism to me.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 03:23PM

[Q]puff Wrote:

Side note: my condolences to all the Navy midn who have to go to the birthday ball friday rather than the game.[/q]

Thanks, puff, for the sentiment. It sucks to not be able to go to my senior year Harvard (sucks) game. One question remains, though - how on earth did you get out of it? Did "Sir, I'm going to Dunbars for the cheap pitchers and then to the hockey game, so I won't make it to the ball" really work? I'm totally stealing that line for next year if it did.

Posted by: puff (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 05:47PM

Not only do i have friends in low places, i'm also special. :-D

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 03, 2004 05:57PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
So the coach is speaking to David through the Journal and letting a couple thousand others listen in. [/q]

Schafer's done that a lot over the years, but the key thing is that it's always in a complimentary way, like, we were having a problem with that and now we've fixed it, or this improvement is needed to go from good to great, and that's what's next. He's put public pressure on his goalie to take it up a notch, but he's done it in a way that implies he believes that's exactly what McKee's capable of.

Contrast this to Mark Morris's regular habit when he was at Clarkson flat-out bad-mouthing his players to the press.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: November 03, 2004 09:46PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:Contrast this to Mark Morris's regular habit when he was at Clarkson flat-out bad-mouthing his players to the press.[/q]And, you know, beating them. uhoh

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 11:39PM

Your coach beats you *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 12:15AM

I think that belongs in the "Best Cheers" thread. laugh

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 12:17AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

I think that belongs in the "Best Cheers" thread. [/q]

Unless there's a statistic on that...who knows? We could sing that to the tune of Mary Had A Little Lamb, "...your coach beat you....7 times!"

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 10:42PM

update: through 4 games: #1 offense, #1 defense, #1 power play, #1 penalty kill.

Next weekend is huge.

Date: November 06, 2004 11:06PM

I think next weekend was going to be huge no matter what. Nevertheless...man, this is gonna be huge. ;-)

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: November 07, 2004 12:09AM

To quote the Fuccillo Auto Mall: "HUUUUUUUUUGE!"

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 12:13AM

Ugh. I'm from Watertown - please don't quote Billy Fucillo! I've gone all the way to Washington DC to escape him! ;-)

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 12:44AM

Most amazing stat: Every single Cornell skater that has played in all four games has at least TWO points.

Date: November 07, 2004 08:57AM

Heh, who said our team can't generate offense? Now it appears that all of our skaters can generate offense, and then some. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login