Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

This Year's "Three Goals"

Posted by Greg Berge 
This Year's "Three Goals"
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 06:43AM

In 1995-96, Schafer famously gave his team three goals:

1. Fill the Rink
2. Beat Harvard
3. Win the ECAC Title

What should the "three goals" be this season?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2004 06:43AM by Greg Berge.

Re: This Year's "Three Goals"
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.lmf.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 07:35AM

1) With UVM, we should continue to show the college hockey universe that the ECACHL isn't totally full of teams that can't win non-conference games.
2) Have a season with as few injuries as possible.
3) Win the ECAC title.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2004 09:35AM by Ben Rocky 04.

Posted by: bernie han (---.mn.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 07:40AM

1) beat harvard
2) win ecac title
3) win ncaa title

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2004 09:11AM

Injuries aren't something you can work for (or against, as the case may be).

Posted by: JS '93 (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 09:19AM

1) Win both games at Michigan State
2) Win at least opening game in Florida against Boston College

This should insure an NCAA bid, assuming the team takes care of its normal ECAC business (i.e. Beating Sucks) with just some scattered losses and ties thrown in. ECACHL Championship would be icing on the cake.

3) Another Frozen Four appearance

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 10:16AM

1. Win
2. Win
3. Win

Oh, and:

4. Avoid the Potsdam Pizza Hut. :-D

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.lmf.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 11:16AM

on top of the pizza hut rule, how about we also seek to avoid the vicious cannibal lynah-faithful-eating snowmobilers who patrol the north country?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 11:44AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

1. Fill the Rink
2. Beat Harvard
3. Win the ECAC Title[/q]

At the time, at least, I could have sworn goal #3 was to get home ice for the ECAC Quarterfinals.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 12:10PM

[Q]bernie han Wrote:

1) beat harvard
2) win ecac title
3) win ncaa title[/q]

1) beat Harvard.....four times (2 reg season; 2 ECAC playoffs)
2) win ECAC title
3) win NCAA title

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 12:32PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Greg Berge Wrote:

1. Fill the Rink
2. Beat Harvard
3. Win the ECAC Title[/Q]
At the time, at least, I could have sworn goal #3 was to get home ice for the ECAC Quarterfinals.[/q]
John, you are right. In the CU Athletic Yearbook 1995-96 they state the three goals as:
1. Pack Lynah
2. Beat Harvard
3. Earn home ice

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 01:55PM

1. Win ECAC Regular Season Title
2. Win ECAC Post Season Title
3. Win NCAA Championship

If there could be a fourth goal, it would be win the tournament down in Florida. Beating Boston College and Maine/St. Cloud would do wonders for their reputation and PWR.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 06:44PM

What about the all important Ivy Title? :-P

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 10:09AM

0) Beat Harvard and pack Lynah assumed this year (let us hope)
1) Win Everblades
2) Win ECAC
3) Play in the Frozen Four

Last goal is within reach. As we've seen in last two years, in a short series the No. 1s can be knocked off by No. 4s, so a low-ranked team in the NCAAs doesn't always have to beat all the top teams to get to the final bracket. You can beat one of them and then knock off the other No. 4 or No. 3 who took out a top seed.

Based on the first two games only, we won't be in a situation where the most offense you can hope for from Cornell in a high-stakes game is three goals and so the defense better hold them to two.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: November 01, 2004 11:15AM

I'd say that if Cornell wants to play in the Frozen Four, they NEED to win the ECAC tourney. I realize that a successful regular season can earn them an at-large bid, but you need to have all cylinders clicking come post-season time. If they lose in the ECAC tourney, they'll be ripe for the picking in the NCAA tourney.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 12:24PM

Winning the ECACs gives you a better chance of a better seeding. If you're at-large from ECAC, you could thrown into the dance card against a really good team, better than you should have to play Round One, to avoid say a first-round WCHA vs. WCHA matchup.

It would help if Cornell was host to a few more of the NCAA first round games in Buffalo, Albany, Rochester, wherever, because then the NCAA has to keep you in the home bracket. I don't know if the mixed reception to Cornell hosting the 2004 NCAA lax quarterfinals (broken scoreboard, not enough food at the refreshment stands) will be remembered.

And with so few games against quality non-ECACHL opponents to help RPI (thus the importance of going 2-0 in the Everblades), the NCAA could decide to take only the winner. Best the ECACHL can hope for is two slots come March (three slots?) and that's most likely if No. 1 and No. 2 meet in the finals and the NCAA takes both. Maybe if a really strong ECAC No. 1 team loses in the semis there's a chance. Based on two weeks of play it looks like Cornell and St. Lawrence in the ECAC title game.

But there are so many imponderables between now and March.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 04:07PM

> At the time, at least, I could have sworn goal #3 was to get home ice for the ECAC Quarterfinals.

I'm sorry, you are of course right and I'm an idiot. help

It is nice to see the effect of altered expectations on hindsight, however. :-D

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 04:08PM

Also, winning the ECACs after a good season gives the NCAA an excuse to keep us East, while losing the ECACs after a good season could possibly send us west.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: November 01, 2004 04:33PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:
Also, winning the ECACs after a good season gives the NCAA an excuse to keep us East, while losing the ECACs after a good season could possibly send us west.[/q]
On the bright side, that's a good excuse for a roadtrip to an exciting new destination! :-D

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 04:38PM

Where are the regionals and finals this year?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 04:41PM

Worcester, Amherst, Minneapolis, and Grand Rapids (Michigan); then Columbus, Ohio.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 01, 2004 04:52PM

Kinda silly to have worcester and amherst....only a couple hours apart.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 04:55PM

For some people that's a feature, not a bug. You have a realistic chance of catching all six games over the three days if you hustle.

What do you see as the drawback of having them so close together? No matter where you put them, someone's hometown fans will have to travel a fair distance to be there.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 01, 2004 05:11PM

I guess it would make more sense to me to spread them out more around the hotbeds of hockey. Of course theres 2 out by michigan and minnesota and 2 in massachusettes which are the 2 pretty central areas. But I guess the issue I see with it is how do you decide which regional a team like cornell goes to. I also guess that could be looked at as an advantage for them since they have more flexibility in placing teams in the brackets.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 05:20PM

College hoops is so big nobody snickers when Duke essentially hosts the West Regional at the LA Forum. Although they're starting to call the regionals by the names of the host cities. Either the team's fans are willing and able to buy tickets for flights accross the country just days in advance ... or it's one more sign that that part of college sports is all about adults in the seats, not students.

OTOH, with TV as good as it is - real TV, not Web TV - fans can at least experience the game as well or better as being there in person. Er, see the game and the goals and replays. You won't experience it in quite the same way.

Does Cornell, did Cornell in 2003, set up a big screen projection in Lynah or Newman or the Straight for the NCAAs? For the ECACs? It's somethign that ought to be experienced in HD on a 20-foot screen with 500 of your closest friends. I bet it's a dry event, though. Sheesh. Killjoys.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 09:27PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Does Cornell, did Cornell in 2003, set up a big screen projection in Lynah or Newman or the Straight for the NCAAs? For the ECACs? It's somethign that ought to be experienced in HD on a 20-foot screen with 500 of your closest friends. I bet it's a dry event, though. Sheesh. Killjoys. [/q]

I remember watching the Frozen Four in Statler Auditorium. The prof that was set to teach a class said he'd hold off starting as long as he could. There was also one guy wearing a UHN jersey. Brave soul.

There were several "big" screens scattered throughout campus (like the Campus Store).

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 10:07PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

For some people that's a feature, not a bug. You have a realistic chance of catching all six games over the three days if you hustle.
[/q]

That, and they're both under 90 min from my house (and hot tub). ;)

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 12:00AM

The defense will be a little less tense knowing that there is some artillery on their side too.

Date: November 02, 2004 12:14AM

Thankfully, "exciting" and "new" are words that don't describe Hamilton.

Date: November 02, 2004 12:22AM

If the hot tub can hold more than Lynah, you could sell tickets.

tournament selection
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 03, 2004 01:19PM

[www.uscho.com]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login