Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Sacred Heart Postgame Thread

Posted by Will 
Cornell vs. Sacred Heart Postgame Thread
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 10:44PM

Just so we don't have to comb through 60+ posts of Cornell scoring. :-D

Re: Cornell vs. Sacred Heart Postgame Thread
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 11:24PM

pretty good first period. bad second period. outstanding third period.
For a moment, the Abbott-Pegoraro-Sawada line was a -2 on the weekend. Pegoraro seems to be a liability defensively. The line did play much better in the third period and combined for a goal. As a result, every Cornell forward got at least one point on the weekend and every Cornell skater that played in both games got at least one point except for O'Byrne. Pokuluk's goal was of highlight-reel quality. I could very easily see him being a first round pick in the draft - if there is one. Hynes had another outstanding game. The fourth line was not as much of a threat tonight as they were last night, but I thought McCutcheon still played very well again. Iggulden and Knoepfli were both very good again.
The competition was pretty weak, but this year could be a very successful one.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 12:10AM

Results from the top 15 this weekend -

Team        (First Place)    Record  Pts   
 1 Minnesota-Duluth     (31)     5-0-1  570     L, T (Vermont)
 2 Boston College        (4)     2-1-0  518     W (North Dakota)
 3 Michigan              (1)     4-1-1  508     W, L (Ferris State)
 4 North Dakota          (3)     4-1-1  494     L, T (BC, Northeastern)
 5 Wisconsin             (1)     4-0-0  434     W, L (Denver)
 6 Minnesota                     3-2-0  343     W, W (Minnesota State)
 7 Maine                         4-3-0  314     W (Merrimack)
 8 Colorado College              4-0-0  303     idle
 9 New Hampshire                 3-1-1  299     idle
10 Miami                         4-2-0  186     L, L (St. Lawrence)
11 Denver                        3-2-0  186     L, W (Wisconsin)
12 Dartmouth                     0-0-0  143     L (Quinnipiac)
13 Ohio State                    4-2-0  142     L, W (Western Michigan)
14 Cornell                       0-0-0   86     W, W (Army, Sacred Heart)
15 Northern Michigan             3-1-0   81     T, W (Notre Dame)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2004 12:10AM by Avash '05.

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 12:16AM

If we drop, I'll never look at the polls ever again.

Date: October 31, 2004 12:30AM

There is no way they could drop. Realistically, they could end up as high as 10.

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 12:50AM

Here's to hoping.

Side note, Ari - nice job with the cowbell, it's sounding better every game.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 06:29AM

Avash, thanks for posting the poll update. Great job.

10 Miami 4-2-0 186 L, L (St. Lawrence)
11 Denver 3-2-0 186 L, W (Wisconsin)
12 Dartmouth 0-0-0 143 L (Quinnipiac)
13 Ohio State 4-2-0 142 L, W (Western Michigan)
14 Cornell 0-0-0 86 W, W (Army, Sacred Heart)

Although these things never go that smoothly, I could see us as high as 11 (with Denver 10, and us jumping the rest of 10-13 above).

Adam's call on Pokulok's goal made it sound like it was *very* nice. Could anybody describe it?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2004 06:32AM by Greg Berge.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 06:54AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:
Adam's call on Pokulok's goal made it sound like it was *very* nice. Could anybody describe it?
[/q]
Faked left. SHU D bought the fake. Went right. In alone. Wristed past sieve.

Who's Adam?

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2004 08:49AM

as i posted in the other thread

I find it interesting and strange that before daylight savings time there is one non-ecac team who is undefeated.

colorado college 4-0-0

brown 0-0-1

hahvahd 0-0-1

cornell 2-0-0

of course there are 11 teams with one loss in this young season. I just can't remember the last time that there was only 1 non-ecac team with no losses

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 10:39AM

Don't forget to describe the little "toe drag" of the puck on Sasha's one on one move. Nice hands.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 11:48AM

Realizing this is not quite on topic, here's my take on SLU (since I saw their game v. Miami last night):

SLU dominated the first period, let up a lot on the second period, and managed to pull even again with Miami in the third. I think they took Miami a little off-guard right away with their intensity. The SLU fans around me were describing their team as "angry" all night long. Passing was pretty solid - I only noticed four botched passes. I would describe their play as "effective" rather than "pretty," though.
Goaltending by McKenna was really good - with some outstanding moments. There was one point in the second period where he deflected a shot and three rebounds in the space of about 3 seconds from point-blank range, the third and fourth rebounds out of position. On the other hand, he did let in 3 goals...most of which I didn't have a good vantage point for and can't really comment on.
That siren really is annoying. Die, siren, die.
Miami got two bench minors for too many men on the ice and SLU got one for delay of game (aka SLU fans threw onto the ice an open Mountain Dew bottle and some other stuff after a SLU goal...um, yeah). I can't quite remember the situations where Miami got its bench minors, but I think one was a smart move by SLU to get the puck near Miami's bench on a Miami shift. Other penalties: there were a lot of them, but not everything got called, and it seemed like a lot of them were called simply to even the score. Appleton's sound system sucks, so I couldn't hear what most of them were.
SLU's freshmen: The Wallmann brothers played pretty well, though Mark definitely almost knocked himself over a few times when trying to check a big Miami player. (He reminded me of a lot of checks from the Red/White game.) The rest of them (including the unfortunately-named Hack) didn't play.
All in all, I think we have reason to be concerned about SLU. They're a pretty good team, and I think they'll be beating up a bunch of ECAC teams and will give us a run for our money.

Posted by: Rasario (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 31, 2004 12:10PM

Pokulok's goal only proves one thing.... the season is young and he is capable of much, much more...

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 12:48PM

From the game thread.[Q]Posted by min on October 30, 2004 08:49PM (24.99.147.---)

i noticed from gametracker that cornell has committed another too many men penalty tonite. what's happening with the shifts?! [/Q]That was the classic line change where the puck comes by the CU bench and is played by the shifter, thus 6 skaters.:-/

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 01:09PM

[Q]That was the classic line change where the puck comes by the CU bench and is played by the shifter, thus 6 skaters.:-/[/Q]

They seemed to have the 6 skaters out on the ice a lot more than a second or two while the lines were changing, though. But, I could be wrong.

In the first period during Moulson's penalty, Cornell had 5 skaters for 5-10 seconds before they realized it. Obviously the refs didn't see it, but it seemed like everybody in our section did.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 02:57PM

I think they actually had 6 for a few seconds on that one. I'm assuming they'll get those kinks out by next week.

Posted by: strixvaria (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 31, 2004 06:53PM

Speaking of nice shots, McCutcheon's no-look, through-the-legs, tip was SICK! Lucky save.

Date: October 31, 2004 07:37PM

Both Pegoraro and McCutcheon are desperate to score. They both came very close on a few occasions this weekend.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 08:23PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

That was the classic line change where the puck comes by the CU bench and is played by the shifter, thus 6 skaters.[/Q]
They seemed to have the 6 skaters out on the ice a lot more than a second or two while the lines were changing, though. But, I could be wrong.

In the first period during Moulson's penalty, Cornell had 5 skaters for 5-10 seconds before they realized it. Obviously the refs didn't see it, but it seemed like everybody in our section did.[/q]And on the other penalty we got we had 6 out for a few seconds, as McCutcheon skated back to the bench, realizing too late what happened .

Posted by: hg (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2004 08:54PM

when bitz comes back whose gonna sit?

Posted by: profudge (129.33.1.---)
Date: November 01, 2004 02:26PM

Pete, I was also concerned despite all the bright spots by 2, Too Many Men penatlies this weekend - and at least 2 more I thought should have been called but were missed by the Assistant referees. But this is my lone concern in a many bright spots this weekend, defense stepping in to help on offense where appropriate in most cases! And our ability to not take too many penalties despite the old rules enforcement initiative; Keep finishing checks, while moving our feet - keep both hands on our stick and avoid the inerference as we cycle, skate don't grab and hook to get into defensive postion. These all are things we look to be doing pretty well.

Referee G. Dell, called things tight and did a pretty darn good job over the weekend - I only got upset about one call in two games which for me must be a record!
I was impressed with many small things we were doing well on the penalty kill and I liked the hustle the team showed.

Go Big Red!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 02:32PM

[q]I was also concerned despite all the bright spots by 2, Too Many Men penatlies this weekend - and at least 2 more I thought should have been called but were missed by the Assistant referees. But this is my lone concern in a many bright spots this weekend,[/q]Too many men penalties don't represent any major concern for me at this point in the season. A little more discipline and time playing together should clean this up. Now if this were Janurary or a pattern develops, then I might become concerned. But not yet.

As I think you alude to, the fact that this is the biggest concern right now means things went pretty well. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login