Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Biting Sun Article

Posted by melissa 
Biting Sun Article
Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 06:05AM

Either someone over at the sun is very pissy or Schafer put them up to today's article. It is a MUST-read. Though in part true I read it in disbelief. It might have been a little over the top. Good luck to the team at placid. The fans expect a great showing but win OR lose it has been a great season.

Re: Biting Sun Article
Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: March 13, 2002 07:17AM

Posted by: Stewart (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 09:28AM

Not a nice article at all...

Don't you want to enjoy the ride? Winning a national championship would be great, but seeing all the great victories this year (Yale 3-2, Harvard 6-3, Clarkson 5-3, etc.) was and is the greatest joy so far. Of course we all have high hopes, but this article is a bit out there... Bobby Knightesque in some ways... Hockey is at times a game of luck, and who knows how many posts get hit at the wrong times:`(

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: March 13, 2002 09:46AM

...and as usual, stunningly written and edited:

Having been an elite team all season, we've heard that this was one of the best assemblage of skaters Cornell's has seen.

I didn't know Gary was part of an elite team.

its time we raise the bar

Make no mistake about.

no matter how "confident," a team this is

one of the most history-rich program in college hockey

following in the likes of legends

Are "likes" anything like "footsteps"?

From a rookie defenseman who used to gaze in awe Cornell hockey from the Lynah bleachers, to a winger and the team's premiere offensive threat who once played in a backyard rink in Greece.

I'm sure there was a complete sentence somewhere in there just aching to get out.

And when it returns from Minneapolis

(Psst... the Frozen Four is in St. Paul.)

Than, we will all realize

Uh, Gary? It's time we start expecting people attending one of the finest universities in the world, and claiming to be writers, to know how to write.

Beeeej

Posted by: finchphil (---.214.85.120.dial1.boston1.level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2002 10:57AM

A national championship would be wonderful, but let's not lose site of things here....let's worry about the ECAC tournament first. Either Dartmouth or RPI will be a tough game. Remember we haven't beaten Dartmouth this year and barely beat RPI twice. If we can't be prepared for and win that game, the NCAA tournament might be a moot point. The team has played well all year and has upheld the high standards we expect from Cornell Athletics. But to think there is something to be ashamed of by not making the Frozen Four is ludicrous. Let's go out there and win on Friday, win on Saturday and worry about the NCAAs after that!

Posted by: Melissa '01 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 11:16AM

agreed. to think nothing else is acceptable is ludicrous.

Posted by: dsr11 (---.austin.ibm.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 12:00PM

While everyone is going to jump on me for saying this, I think the author makes a few good points. He may not have all the facts correct, but when it comes down to it, Cornell Athletics, and especially Cornell Hockey DO need to start bringing home the trophies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but women's polo recently won a championship a year or two ago, but polo doesn't get the visibility of the hockey program. A national chamionship would be nice, but a 2002 ECAC championship would also be something great to bring to Ithaca. Certainly the hockey program is the most widely known team at Cornell, and the last ECAC title was 5 years ago (1997 if I remember correctly). I'm NOT trying to take sides with the author or pick a fight with anyone here, but just take a step back and think before you go off and bad mouth everything this guy side. Some of it is relevant, in my opinion, and some of it is garbage, as a few of you have pointed out.

On that note, I hope everyone thats going to Placid has a GREAT time and cheers our team on to an ECAC title this weekend!

Date: March 13, 2002 12:09PM

The women's polo team has won the last two national championships, IIRC.

Anyway, there are twelve teams in the ECAC. Yes, Cornell has a more significant "tradition of greatness." But winning the tournament twice in the last six years is pretty damned impressive with those odds, and winning it a third time in seven years will be freakin' amazing.

But to say that anything less than a Frozen Four appearance is unacceptable when even in our own conference we have to contend with the disadvantages of a shorter schedule and no athletic scholarships is absurd. Yes, it would be great - but demanding it is, as has been said twice here already by other people, ludicrous.

Beeeej

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: March 13, 2002 12:26PM

Pete Mangurian was one of our "most storied coaches"? He was at Cornell for, what, three years? Anyway, other than George Siefert, who's storied because of things he accomplished after leaving Cornell, no post-1950s Cornell football coach can be called "storied" until he wins (outright) an Ivy Title.

As for lacrosse... Harkness is a storied lacrosse coach. Moran is a storied lacrosse coach. Pietremala was a good coach, certainly, but the lax program was hardly a national powerhouse while he was there.

Pre-game speech
Posted by: Adam 04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2002 12:38PM

This sounds like a speech my soccer coach made my sophomore, junior, and senior years before each playoff game. We won 2 out of the 3 years! I guess it is a very arrogant attitude, but sometimes it is good to set high goals. Although, this type of outlook can’t be very pleasant, seeing as how the majority of the time you won’t meet your ultimate goal. Sounds like bulletin board material to light a fire under the players asses. It makes the Lynah Faithful sound like Yankees fans, but therein is the motivation to win. LETS GO RED!!!

Re: Pre-game speech
Date: March 13, 2002 12:43PM

Adam J. Doyle wrote:

It makes the Lynah Faithful sound like Yankees fans...
Dont ever say that again!

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 12:49PM

Actually, I was thinking, "Gee, this could have used some editing." I wonder if the web version comes from pre-edit text files, and if today's print edition lacks some of those foibles

But isn't this, ironically, the same kind of discussion Gary said we "ladies and gentleman" [sic] should raise the bar from?

I agree with a lot of what he says in this piece. I don't think he's really saying "What you've accomplished so far means nothing." I think he's saying "Don't stop fighting for it just because what you've accomplished so far is 'good enough.'"

Amen.

Posted by: Adam 04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2002 01:00PM

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2002 01:02PM

Why, cause it might rub off and bring the hockey team some luck? rolleyes

Posted by: Kenny L Parker (---.towers.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 01:02PM

Beej especially, why don't you give this author a break?

Minor grammatical and factual errors notwithstanding, there is a valid point in the article - Cornell should certainly be focusing on the Frozen Four. The Faithful like to recount tales of long winning streaks and championships, and consider Cornell to be among the "elite" programs in the nation, one of those with great and storied "tradition" - and they are correct in that. However, it is time to add to the list of accomplishments. The ECAC title is nice, but that conference is getting weaker and weaker - some Western fans no longer consider it to be one of the big 4. If Cornell wants to avoid being passed by by college hockey, it has to start making noise on the national scene, and this year is a perfect opportunity to do so.

You can only bank on 1970 for so long.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2002 01:03PM

Who the hell is Beej? rolleyes

Date: March 13, 2002 01:08PM

Cornell should not even slightly be focusing on the Frozen Four right now. That's a damn good way to lose an ECAC semifinal.

And I'm not giving him a break because I don't think people whose opinions are so important to them that they put them in the newspaper should be given a break on so many ridiculous errors, both factual and grammatical.

Beeeej

Date: March 13, 2002 01:09PM

Us being unbearable to fans of other teams will bring the team luck? I don't exactly follow. :-P

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 01:10PM

C'mon...it's an editorial. It's purpose is to get people riled up, to get people talking...to get people to buy newspapers. In the first two respects, the author was successful.

I have 3 comments:

1) I think that this guy watched the terrible and over-promoted ESPN movie "A Season on the Brink" once too often late at night in the Sun break room.

2) The author may be tired of watching the Red come out flat in the opening period, but I'm not tired of watching them raise their sticks in triumph at the end of the game. I think the coach is doing a fine job of handling the X's and O's and motivation.

3) I'm glad that we're arguing whether Mintz is a "legend" or not. It sure as hell beats those "What the F is wrong with our team??" discussions. (see SLU and RPI fan discussions on USCHO earlier this year). And for me, the Mintz-type discussions aren't what puts me in a state of joy...the team has already done that by the time I get here.

Date: March 13, 2002 01:17PM

Rich Hovorka '96 wrote:

3) I'm glad that we're arguing whether Mintz is a "legend" or not. It sure as hell beats those "What the F is wrong with our team??" discussions. (see SLU and RPI fan discussions on USCHO earlier this year). And for me, the Mintz-type discussions aren't what puts me in a state of joy...the team has already done that by the time I get here.
<Got 6, Want More>
Come on, SLU can still turn it around and win the RS title! Page for RotY! Ackley for GotY! Awards for SLU all around! Marsh is God! We're better than Clarkson and Cornell put together! We only lost most of our games by one goal! It was the ref's fault!
</Got 6, Want More>
Hehehe. Sorry, I had to do it.

Posted by: finchphil (---.214.79.152.dial1.boston1.level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2002 01:43PM

Yeah, let's worry about our ECAC title first. We have had the benefits of playing in a weak ECAC, but other than beating BU once, haven't faired that well against ranked teams outside of the ECAC. We aren't even ranked in the top 4 in the country and for good reason, we haven't proven we can consistently beat good teams. Good goal tending and a strong defense are usually the keys to a contender for a national title and that means we might have a shot IF we can win the ECACs and get an NCAA bid. FOCUS #1 is and should be winning against either Dartmouth or RPI, not a Frozen Four slot.

Posted by: jason (---.paulhastings.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 02:16PM

As Ivy League university presidents discuss ways to continually marginalize the presence of sports programs on our campuses...
Is this true or just dramatic license? Certainly it does not seem like the presidents (or whoever makes such decisions) are very interested in promoting and providing for the success of sports (I would give up caffeine for a f*ckin' year if the powers that be would just let the Ivy teams play 30 games --just one more game!-- which to me looks a lot better on paper than 29, and let them start skating a couple weeks earlier), but are they actively trying to undermine sports? If so, why not (and god forbide I'm giving anyone any ideas) demote themselves to DIII? Is there some NCAA prohibition that would prohibit them from doing this?

Date: March 13, 2002 02:20PM

To the contrary; a well-publicized, $100-million fundraising campaign just for Athletics is a pretty sure sign that Cornell isn't the least bit interested in "marginalizing" athletics.

Beeeej

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 02:29PM

:-/ If Petro had stayed a few more years :-/ I would be willing to bet we would certainly be the top six or seven in the nation, for sure! He could have very easily become a "storied" lacrosse coach had he stayed in Ithaca (. . . he defiantly had the horses).

Date: March 13, 2002 02:37PM

Beeeej,
My understanding is that Cornell Athletics is to a very large degree forced to find it's own funding and pretty much act like its own separate business in this regard (the University does not provide it much). So that campaign could be the product of the Athletic Dept's efforts but may not signify that the University cares or is doing much of anything to help (other than not standing in the way). BTW, if anyone knows that my understanding is incorrect, please correct me.

Posted by: finchphil (---.214.120.103.dial1.boston1.level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2002 02:45PM

I am not sure of where the money comes from for athletics at Cornell, but to quote the Ivy League web site....

Sponsoring conference championships in 33 men's and women's sports, and averaging more than 35 varsity teams at each school, the Ivy League provides intercollegiate athletic opportunities for more men and women than any other conference in the country. All eight Ivy schools are among the "top 20" of NCAA Division I schools in number of sports offered for both men and women.

I think the Ivy League is very committed to sports. How did Penn State's hockey team do this year? What about Purdue's lacrosse team? The difference is that we are committed to academics first and athletics second. I suppose we could play more games and give out athletic scholarships to deserving students, but I think Cornell Athletics has a tradition to be proud of.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 02:46PM

Isn't athletics a separate entity at most schools, especially schools with some degree of state status?

I don't think the Ivy presidents gather in a smoke-free room and think up ways to handicap their athletic departments because losing schools look like smarter schools. Winning teams translate into happier, more generous alumni, and there's never been a president of *anything* who didn't spend every waking moment whoring for money.

I think Cornell has the resources to displace Princeton as the dominant athletic Ivy, and I wish they would. Athletics carries less and less the pejorative "jock" image, at the Ivies at least, that was fashionable in the 60's through 80's, and perhaps we will see a race to the top, rather than a race to the bottom, much in the tradition of the Ivies of the first half of last century.

Princeton had a run of hoops teams that could have been elite eight. Harvard was a frequent final four team in hockey. Football is hopeless. Still, I think the jury is out as to whether the Ivy administrations will actively encourage their sports teams. It isn't as if, in hockey, we are asking for low admissions standards or midweek games. Just the same schedule as the other teams. It really isn't much to ask, and man would it help!

Posted by: nshapiro (146.145.226.---)
Date: March 13, 2002 03:04PM

Philip wrote:
I think the Ivy League is very committed to sports

I remember an article years (and years) ago in SI that evaluated Athletics at various schools...the most memorable observation stated something to the effect [paraphrase] Brown University Athletic department revenue is $2 million, and the expenditures are $4 million....Nebraska's athletics revenue is $8 million, and the expenditures are $4 million....Now which school is truly committed to college athletics [/paraphrase]

Jason wrote:
why not (and god forbide I'm giving anyone any ideas) demote themselves to DIII? Is there some NCAA prohibition that would prohibit them from doing this?

I believe that a school must participate at the level of its most competitive team, with a single exception allowed (possibly a second exception was added when d2 lacrosse was abolished). This means that all teams must compete at the same level, except one sport may participate a more competitive level - %99 of the time the exception is used for college hoops.

Posted by: finchphil (---.214.73.75.dial1.boston1.level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2002 03:16PM

I agree with Neil. The Ivies are very committed to college athletics. Some "big time" schools only field a few varsity teams, in particular, those they can make money from. On the term of instutional support, this also comes from ivyleaguesports.com:

Ivy athletic programs receive multi-million-dollar institutional support as part of each institution’s overall academic programs, independent of win-loss or competitive records and together with extensive programs of intramural and recreational athletics.

Granted, it's not cheap to field a women's polo team or a men's squash team or any of the mutlitude of sports Cornell offers, but they are offered and occassionally bring home championships. Would scholarships change this, sure. Would throwing more money at Athletics equate to more national titles? I doubt it. When was the last time Indiana or Ohio State won a national title in anything?

Having lived in Boston for years now, I recall seeing both Hunter Rawlings and before him, Frank Rhodes at the rink for Cornell-Harvard games in Boston. They seemed pretty committed to me.

Date: March 13, 2002 03:16PM

Neil,
Thanks. I was not clear but I did mean a whole-sale demotion of all sports to DIII (well, maybe leave hockey as DI :-)) ).

&quot;Storied&quot; coaches
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 03:32PM

Right on, Josh.

Mangurian got out before the house of cards he built collapsed. Pietramala is already causing people to ask how long Johns Hopkins will put up with his sideline demeanor.

Gil Dobie was a "storied" football coach (his glory years compare with Ned's--worth looking up). Carl Snavely was a very good football coach. Since then it's been downhill. Maxie Baughan might have become a "storied" coach but he developed other problems... uhoh

Date: March 13, 2002 03:34PM

Speaking as a former Cornell Development Officer (read: fundraiser), I can assure you that a significant outlay of human and financial resources is involved in a $100 million campaign for anything at Cornell. I have many friends and former colleagues working hard for this campaign, and very few of them are actually on the Athletics Department budget line.

But one thing you said is definitely true: Athletics is expected more and more to operate financially in a manner "non-dependent on" (if not independent from) the rest of the university. That's the primary reason behind this campaign; every new endowed coaching position means less money that has to come from each year's budget.

Beeeej

Re: &quot;Storied&quot; coaches
Posted by: finchphil (---.214.73.75.dial1.boston1.level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2002 03:37PM

And Bob Blackman was a storied football coach at Dartmouth (the last Ivy League team to be nationally ranked in DIV 1) but came here and did diddly.

Ivy League and athletics
Date: March 13, 2002 03:40PM

Seems to me I just read a cover article in a major magazine (Business Week?) on the top college athletic programs in the country. Among the top 20 (in their listed-alphabetically rankings) were five or six Ivy League schools, including Cornell. The Ivies have, on the whole, many more sports, for both genders, than almost all others. Only Ohio State, of the big athletic factories, is up there with Harvard, Cornell, etc.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 05:18PM

With respect to the comment about marginalizing athletic programs, I think Schueller was referring to the lead article on the front page of Thursday's Sun, which talks about discussions to possibly reduce the number of recruited athletes across the board. According to the article, it's basically a non-issue for Cornell, since only about 10% of each class is comprised of recruited student-athletes. For Princeton and Dartmouth, where the fraction is probably near one-third, it's of much more pressing concern.

(edit, 6:20 PM): I agree with what Tom says about handicapping athletes. The presidents of the Ivy League schools are not opposed to winning national championships, but they're not going to stoop to the levels of Arkansas or Florida State or even Duke to make it happen.

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 05:38PM

I think it's partly dramatic license, but it might have been spurred by a recent article about changing admissions practices for athletes. I can't find the article now, but I believe it came from Harvard and talked about a motion at a meeting of Ivy League presidents (or something) to admit fewer athletes and/or give less consideration to athletic performance as an admissions factor. The link to the article is buried someplace on the USCHO women's hockey board. It was originally put up there by a Harvard poster, but I can't find it at all since I don't remember the name of the poster, the name of the article, or the name of the thread.

At any rate, that motion has not passed and it seemed ill-conceived, partly because of the way it was worded and partly because the article went out of its way to point out that Harvard has one of the largest (if not *the* largest) varsity program in the country. I doubt that the Ivy League is seriously *trying* to handicap athletics, although inadvertently handicapping the sports teams is another matter entirely.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 13, 2002 06:52PM

Ivy league schools are committed to athletics in the best "healthy body/healthy mind" spirit. That means that the schools offer teams in a lot of sports - to ensure broad participation by students rather than a laser-like focus on media-friendly sports to ensure broad entertainment for students and the surrounding community.

I like that a lot of people will pick Penn to beat Cal when they fill out their brackets tonight - and that Princeton (Only one point from kicking Pitino in the teeth!) and Yale made the NIT. I like that Cornell has nationally ranked hockey, lacrosse and wrestling teams in the face of major state university competition. I am also, however, very proud that Cornell has the best women's polo team in the country. And a squash team. And a fencing team. And crew for men (heavy and light) and women.

I will take the Ivy league model, which preserves the ideal of college sports, over the Big-Time State University model, in which the Athletic Department is a tail that wags the University dog. I watch college football and basketball, because they are high quality versions of sports I like to watch, but I won't pretend that they are, with few exceptions, anything other than professionals-in-training.

Posted by: finchphil (---.214.92.170.dial1.boston1.level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2002 06:57PM

Well done. You write like an Ivy League grad. Not with the grammatical errors of those still in training!

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 07:24PM

hey. . .watch it buster!!!

Posted by: littleredfan (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2002 08:41PM

Philip:

Yeah, let's worry about our ECAC title first. We have had the benefits of playing in a weak ECAC, but other than beating BU once, haven't faired that well against ranked teams outside of the ECAC.

Are YOU still in training? uhoh I may forgive you if you graduated from engineering, but otherwise, please use fare instead of fair rolleyes

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.nas21.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 13, 2002 09:31PM

Hofher had a career sort of like McCutcheon's: early success and high hopes, followed by gradual disappointment. One silver lining to the way Maxie left was that he had just won an Ivy co-championship, and got to go out on top. No, wait, let me rephrase that... :-D

Posted by: zg88 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 10:42PM

> ...Maxie... got to go out on top.

laugh

Posted by: Jonathan Seibald (---.ciw.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2002 11:06PM

As I am the guy that Gary Schueller quoted as saying that I have no room to hide fish for the Harvard game in the crotch area of my pants, I want to defend this tremendous hockey reporter. Granted, his grammar was terrible, but this is the week before Spring Break in which he has to deal with lots of midterms and work. Therefore, give him a break. Gary has provided the best hockey coverage I've seen in my three years here at Cornell. He tries to make us feel like we are a part of a proud tradition. What's wrong with that? So he exaggerated a little in the article. This is the best team we have had in 30 years, and after all the trash-talking I've done to my friends at the usual powerhouses of Michigan and BC, I expect this team to win at Placid and make major waves in the tourney. I will be disappointed if we don't. That it is not a put-down of the team, but the ultimate testament to the kind of program that Schafer has put together during his tenure. Gary understands that very well. Apparently, some of you don't.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.nas31.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 13, 2002 11:31PM

I'll echo what's been said by others on this thread. The goal this weekend should be to win the ECAC title, plain and simple. Next week we can (Hockey Gods willing) talk about how far we expect this team to go in the NCAAs.

Of course, I still say winning the ECACs is the cake and anything that happens in the NCAAs is the icing. I'd hate to see success turn us into one of those Hockey Least teams that are relieved to be eliminated from their league tournament so they can concentrate on the "important" one. yark

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 12:32AM

I'm with JTW.

Jonathan said

"This is the best team we have had in 30 years, and after all the trash-talking I've done to my friends at the usual powerhouses of Michigan and BC, I expect this team to win at Placid and make major waves in the tourney. I will be disappointed if we don't. That it is not a put-down of the team, but the ultimate testament to the kind of program that Schafer has put together during his tenure."

Also agree with this. I think that all cornell fans will be disappointed if we don't come away from LP with the hardware.

But this isn't the part of Gary's article that I and others are disputing. It is the statement that anything less is simply unacceptable. Saying that anything less is unaceptable is going too far. The team has played great all year and that in itself is something to be proud of, no matter what the outcome at LP. The improvements by the team in all areas of the game have been noticed nationwide . As a result, the program is growing in reputation, as is the fan base (now whether a lot of these people or just jumping on the bandwagon has yet to be determined). Just exactly how far the team goes is out of our hands. All I know is that the faithful will be there to cheer them on as long as they last in the post season ... without piling on a heap of expectations.

Sorry if this is ranting sounding but I was so frustrated upon reading this article and it has yet to completely dissipate.

Posted by: judy (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2002 01:23AM

Hmm, time for me to add my $0.02 as I am up, excited, and sleepless.

I gotta agree. The ride has been great so far, I'm glad to have been able to see most of the games (though I don't live in the area) and I hope it continues. Right now, the team has to focus on Lake Placid. If they can't get past LP, chances are, they're going home and staying there. I'd love it if they could win it at LP but I would still be proud of all they've accomplished this season, though I'd probably still be upset that they didn't win and cry.

I think one of the things that bothered me about the article was that it gave me the impression that hockey was the only sport at Cornell where we have a shot at a national championship. Sure, hockey is the only sport that really matters to me, but as mentioned in other posts, we've had other sports that have had more success than the men's hockey team and it seems as if those sports just don't matter. It bothered me that their success has been minimized. It also bothered me that he was asking everyone to jump on the hockey championship bandwagon. (or maybe that's just me and the impression that I got from reading)

I gotta say that I was more nervous about last weekend's games than this weekends. The team needs to take it one game at a time and play at their very best. If they can do that, they can most certainly kick some ass at LP and then some. If they can play the way that I know they can play, then I will be proud of them no matter the outcome.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading, sorry about the babbling but I had some thoughts I had to get out and this is usually the time it comes out.

Posted by: Tom Hamill '85 (---.co.us.prserv.net)
Date: March 14, 2002 08:51AM

That piece of crap [the Sun article] and the attitude behind it makes me pretty mad. All us Lynah Faithful want to see Cornell win the ECAC and then demolish their way into the Final Four. But short of strapping on skates and putting the game-winning goal in the back of the net, let's realize what we are: FANS. The Red have given us a hell of a ride this year. THEY don't owe US a damn thing besides doing their best. Let's enjoy the ride, root hard for them, admire them for putting together a hell of a season while being Ivy League STUDENTS.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.nas21.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: March 14, 2002 09:09AM

I would say (and have done for the past month or two) that it will be a disappointment if the team does not win the ECACs. (Just ask UVM in 1996, Cornell in 1991, etc.)

Date: March 14, 2002 09:52AM

And I would guarantee that not coming home with the Whitelaw would be a big disappointment to this terrific team and its coaches. Schafer's quote on coaches corner Monday night was something like: "By Cornell standards we haven't won anything yet."

Date: March 14, 2002 11:10AM

If Gary wants us to "understand" what he understands, then he needs to learn to express himself better. And I'm not talking about grammar.

I genuinely and with sincerity hope his midterms went better than that column!

Beeeej

Posted by: finchphil (---.cvx32-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net)
Date: March 14, 2002 05:59PM

Opps! Ewe are write. How could eye bee sew stoopid? Nothing like a little fare play every now and then.....

What makes you a littlered fan? I am also an alum of IHS, Class of 1981.

Posted by: littleredfan (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 10:47PM

Philip: Actually, I was wondering if people were wondering if i was an IHS grad. I am actually a small, Carnelian red, fan that did not graduate from anywhere near IHS. Hence, littleredfan--its a stretch I know...

Posted by: finchphil (---.214.69.15.dial1.boston1.level3.net)
Date: March 15, 2002 12:29AM

Yeah, you know IHS goes by the moniker Little Red and they do have a very good hockey team there, a few NYS Championships in the past decade or so.....just assumed that was the case.

Re: Biting Sun Article 2005 edition
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:38PM

Three years ago, to this day, Gary Schueller wrote a biting article about expectations placed upon the hockey program. Any comments (besides "worst column written, ever" Beeej! ;-) ) three years later?

COLUMN WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13, 2002

Bring it Home

By GARY SCHUELLER

I must admit when senior goalie Matt Underhill mentioned the words "national championship" as a team goal in preseason interviews, I reacted with a healthy dose of disbelief. I originally considered it start-of-season rhetoric, but as I prepare to trek up to Lake Placid with the hordes of other Big Red fans this weekend, I must say I'm beginning to believe.

It's not so much the confidence or the stellar efforts of the netminder that have sold me. In fact my faith is not so much a product of the play of the hockey team alone as it is broader events in the athletic department. By many accounts it seems like a bleak time for Ancient Eight athletics. As Ivy League university presidents discuss ways to continually marginalize the presence of sports programs on our campuses, we have suffered similar setbacks at Cornell. Over the last few years we've watched as two of our most storied coaches, football's Pete Manguarian and lacrosse's Dave Pietremala leave the Hill for greener pastures. Despite the ever-present despair, we are undoubtedly experiencing one of the most exciting and promising periods in the recent history of the athletic department.

Having been an elite team all season, we've heard that this was one of the best assemblage of skaters Cornell's has seen. And the message has gotten around. ESPN, TSN, Sports Illustrated and even the New York Times have made mention of the team.

It seems like anything and everything Cornell hockey related is enough to send the so-called Lynah Faithful into a unrelenting whirlwind of adoration. While ELynah forum debates focusing on whether or not public address Arthur Mintz '71 is indeed a "legend," or questioning the exact syntax of RPI loud-mouth Matt Murley may be enough to excite you into a state of joy, its time we raise the bar ladies and gentleman. It time we stop making up things to be proud of and time we start demanding results, namely in the form of championships. Unwavering support through good times and bad alike is one thing. Its time we start expecting greatness and sending the message that anything less is simply unacceptable. And hopefully, the message will spread across the 35 other varsity sports on campus.

Let's get one thing straight. Anything less than a title at Lake Placid makes this season absolutely, positively inconsequential. In fact, given the talent and potential of this team, I say anything short of a Frozen Four appearance should be regarded as failure.

If this squad hopes to stake its claim as one of the greatest in Cornell history the road begins Friday. Make no mistake about. It's about time every single member of the carnelian and white be held accountable by fans and the athletic administration. For starters that means, remembering that no matter how "confident," a team this is, playing the first period with intensity is necessary. I'm tired of watching this team play the opening stanza every fifth or sixth game. Its about time that we finish our checks early and often.

More importantly, every last player who dons the Cornell jersey should never forget the pride and honor that goes along with that privilege. As you take the ice at the historic 1980 Arena, remember that you are the torch bearers of one of the most history-rich program in college hockey, following in the likes of legends Ken Dryden '69, Joe Nieuwendyk '88, Brian Cropper '71 and John Hughes '70. It's about time we demand that this team plays to its full potential every night from here forward. That means no excuses on rebounds for Underhill. It means expecting an accurate slapshot from Doug Murray more than half of the time. It means that if captain Stephen Bâby is going to talk about the team's discipline it should be a no exception policy. It also means no hitting after the whistle calls for fan-favorite Greg Hornby, and no tolerance for the shenanigans that took place at the Clarkson game. For the love of God, want it all; win it all.

From a rookie defenseman who used to gaze in awe watching Cornell hockey from the Lynah bleachers, to a junior winger and the team's premiere offensive threat who once played in a backyard rink in Greece. Now, this squad stares at its biggest dream yet.

And when it returns from Minneapolis with a national title in hand, it should be welcomed home with a parade. Than, we will all realize just how amazing this team truly is. Who knows, maybe if the folks in Day Hall are watching, just maybe they too will realize the awesome potential of Cornell athletics.

Posted by: judy (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:55PM

oh my god. no wonder i felt a sense of deja vu! teaches me to not check out dates more closely... somehow 2002 looks a lot like 2005.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:01PM

EDIT: Nevermind.

The author, three years later, is still retarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 06:04PM by ugarte.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:03PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

I'd like to read the article before reading the discussion, but I'm getting a "file not found" error. Can someone check the link or repost the article?[/q]

The article is two posts above your post.
Andy W.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 06:04PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:10PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

oh my god. no wonder i felt a sense of deja vu! teaches me to not check out dates more closely... somehow 2002 looks a lot like 2005.[/q]

That's okay, I just read, did not recall, and complimented my own post. With my wife present. I'll be getting rations of shit for that for the next 20 years. ;-)

Date: March 13, 2005 07:14PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:

I'd like to read the article before reading the discussion, but I'm getting a "file not found" error. Can someone check the link or repost the article?[/Q]
The article is two posts above your post.[/q]For the record, I figured this out when I saw Judy's post. I'd like to congratulate andyw2100 for being so quick on the trigger that he quoted me while I was editing my post, thereby condemning my post to the permanent record.

Posted by: A-ron (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:31PM

Yowzers... considering Mr. Scheuller was at my apartment watching the games with me this weekend over the webcast and will be at Albany with me next weekend I feel that I need to defend him a bit. So, here it goes:

Gary loves to rake the muck and I think that's all he was doing. You could call him Cornell atheltics' Slimshady. He says stuff that pisses you off, but says it because he knows it will piss you off. He wasn't writing a recap of the game, he was writing his opinion and that's all it was. I don't know that he really deserves to be called retarded when "overly critical" will suffice.

How about if we all take a deep breath, repost the Volinnino article and remember who the real bad guys are. Let's kick some butt up at Albany!

Re: Biting Sun Article 2005 edition
Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:32PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:
Three years ago, to this day, Gary Schueller wrote a biting article about expectations placed upon the hockey program. Any comments (besides "worst column written, ever" Beeej! ) three years later?[/q]

Wow, I was a snotty little bastard three years ago, too. :-D

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: schoaff (---.atl.megapath.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:29PM

[Q]A-ron Wrote:

Gary loves to rake the muck and I think that's all he was doing. He says stuff that pisses you off, but says it because he knows it will piss you off. [/q]

That's not exactly something to be proud of.

Posted by: mha (---.dos.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:39PM

You think that's bad... I was starting to get irate, wondering who'd forged my name to a post that I didn't remember writing.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:57PM

[Q]Bozo the frown Wrote:
More importantly, every last player who dons the Cornell jersey should never forget the pride and honor that goes along with that privilege.[/q]

Can we say the same about a certain Sun reporter?
rolleyes

Date: March 13, 2005 11:22PM

[Q]A-ron Wrote:I don't know that he really deserves to be called retarded when "overly critical" will suffice.[/q]Anything short of an final four is a failure? For the 2002 team? Nah, I'll stick with retarded.

Posted by: nr (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:15AM

where exactly is this article anyways?

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:50AM

[Q]nr Wrote:

where exactly is this article anyways?[/q]

[www.cornellsun.com]

Posted by: mjh89 (---.pac.mannlib.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:59PM

The link doesn't work.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:39PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

The link doesn't work.[/q]

It's like deja vu all over again. Read through the thread...the text of the article is posted.

Posted by: froogle (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 04:12PM

Can sombody post the article i cant seem to open the page to the cornell daily sun.
thank you

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 04:15PM

[Q]froogle Wrote:

Can sombody post the article i cant seem to open the page to the cornell daily sun.
thank you[/q]
You're joking, right?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 04:44PM

Just look a few posts up on this thread, froogle. (It helps to look at the thread in flat view.)

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:14PM

See my post at the bottom of this thread for the link.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:16PM

What's all this talk of Lake Placid? The tourney is in Albany.

Date: March 14, 2005 05:18PM

The unintentional comedy level of this thread is skyrocketing.

Posted by: AKMer (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:19PM

If you look at the dates, you'll see the article is three years old.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:23PM

My appologies for wasting your precious time Displaced. I saw the article at the bottom of the page but assumed another, similar article had been written in the post TODAY, which seemed to be the only reasonable reason someone would bring up a 3 year-old article.

Date: March 14, 2005 05:33PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

My appologies for wasting your precious time Displaced. I saw the article at the bottom of the page but assumed another, similar article had been written in the post TODAY, which seemed to be the only reasonable reason someone would bring up a 3 year-old article. [/q]

Apology accepted :-P

No need to get hostile...I just found it amusing that you asked the same exact question as someone about 10 posts up :)

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:44PM

Could you tell me how to find the comedy? nut

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jlewis (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 07:34PM

I do believe that ohio state won the national title in football a few years back :-P

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 07:40PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Could you tell me how to find the comedy?

Beeeej[/q]

Well, first off, your esteemed bro thinks someone is forging posts in his name.

Considering that he posts about once every three months, that shit's funny. ;)

Date: March 14, 2005 08:11PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

My appologies for wasting your precious time Displaced. I saw the article at the bottom of the page but assumed another, similar article had been written in the post TODAY, which seemed to be the only reasonable reason someone would bring up a 3 year-old article. [/q]

I brought up a three year old article that caused a lot of controversy in 2002 because a bunch of us see 2002 all over again this season.

Date: March 14, 2005 08:13PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Just look a few posts up on this thread, froogle. (It helps to look at the thread in flat view.)[/q]

Ah, that explains all of the confusion...I forgot that there are two ways to view the forum...

Posted by: Beeeej (68.160.255.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 08:58PM

Yes, several months after Philip made the posting to which you're responding.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:00PM

Could someone tell me what's funny about this thread?
Andy W.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 10:59PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:

Could you tell me how to find the comedy?

Beeeej[/Q]
Well, first off, your esteemed bro thinks someone is forging posts in his name.

Considering that he posts about once every three months, that shit's funny.[/q]

I think what Jeff meant is that the link to the comedy is broken. Perhaps someone could post the comedy in its entirety here.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login