Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Army Postgame Thread

Posted by Will 
Cornell vs. Army Postgame Thread
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:18PM

Post your comments on the game here.

Re: Cornell vs. Army Postgame Thread
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:33PM

Army is even worse than McGill. McCutcheon had another very good game. Not too many players stood out though. Pokuluk could turn out to be one of the top blueliners in college hockey. The whole second line (Cam Abbott-Pegoraro-Sawada) failed to record points tonight, but every other Cornell forward scored. Defense jumped into the play a lot more tonight than they ever did last season. Very sold on the third and fourth lines but not yet sold on the first and second lines. Was not particularly impressed with Moulson or Cam Abbott.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 11:26PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

The whole second line (Cam Abbott-Pegoraro-Sawada) failed to record points tonight, but every other Cornell forward scored.[/q]
Second line -1 for the night across the board.

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 11:30PM

Vermont 3 - Minnesota-Duluth 2

Number 1 has been upset by Vermont. Interesting development.

Date: October 29, 2004 11:33PM

[Q]sockralex Wrote:

Vermont 3 - Minnesota-Duluth 2

Number 1 has been upset by Vermont. Interesting development.[/q]

Excellent. That should help our RPI a bit, assuming that the ECACHL will generally stink in OOC games as has been the case in the past few years.

Posted by: BigRed (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2004 12:23AM

pokuluk sure showed a lot of poised tonight..... what a shot !!!

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 30, 2004 12:29AM

The team looked alot better on PP and in the offensive zone overall tonight. Alot better passing and coordination, which I think was the biggest thing missing last year. Looks like the freshmen, hopefully, are gonna be able to contribute alot and it's hard to spot a gaping problem (of course its been one game).

Date: October 30, 2004 12:43AM

Krantz struggled a bit, getting caught pinching on a few occasions. Wouldn't be surprised to see Glover in for him tomorrow night.

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 12:48AM

Lots of good passing, and lots of good shooting. I'm very pleased with the team this year. The Army had a couple of good plays, but they didn't stay strong for long. Also, for the most part, the cheers were kept in good taste ("RETREAT!" cracked me up).

Good game, can't wait til I see what Sacred Heart will be like tomorrow.

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 12:57AM

In my limited time here, I don't think I've ever seen another team score during Rock 'n Roll Part 2...that hurt for a minute or two.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 01:13AM

[q]Was not particularly impressed with Moulson or Cam Abbott.[/q]Well, we know they will be OK. Everyone has off nights and if you can manage to have them when your team wins 7-1 then I think you're doing OK.

Posted by: hippity (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:59AM

wouldnt make any judgments until after next weekend vs harvard and brown, 2 pretty awful teams we're facing this weekend

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 04:33AM

and 2 pretty awful teams next weekend from what it sounds like

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 07:20AM

Note what happened on October 16, 2004:

Score By Periods
Army 0 0 1 1
Sacred Heart 1 3 0 4

Power Plays
Army 0 / 11 (.000)
Sacred Heart 3 / 5 (.600)

Shots On Goal 1st 2nd 3rd Total
Army 5 10 15 30
Sacred Heart 6 17 4 27

Penalties/Minutes SHGF
Army 8 / 16 0
Sacred Heart 14 / 28 0

I assume that Sacred Heart will be a better early test.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2004 07:21AM by marty.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 08:41AM

[Q]Army is even worse than McGill. McCutcheon had another very good game. Not too many players stood out though. Pokuluk could turn out to be one of the top blueliners in college hockey. The whole second line (Cam Abbott-Pegoraro-Sawada) failed to record points tonight, but every other Cornell forward scored. Defense jumped into the play a lot more tonight than they ever did last season. Very sold on the third and fourth lines but not yet sold on the first and second lines. Was not particularly impressed with Moulson or Cam Abbott.[/Q]

I guess we weren't watching the same game. McCutcheon was alright tonight but how many penalties did he have like 4. Cam Abbott played a great game, just because he doesn't score you are not impressed? Something he showed me tonight is that he has some serious drive. Did anyone catch the pass to himself off the back of the net in the second? That was somthing I used to see Martin StLouis do all the time, good stuff. The guys that I think stood out the most tonight were Shane hynes and Ryan O'byrne. They really looked like they gained strength, skill, and patience in the offseason. I can't wait to see more of this.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 09:00AM

[Q]Ack Wrote:

In my limited time here, I don't think I've ever seen another team score during Rock 'n Roll Part 2...that hurt for a minute or two.[/q]

I've seen teams score during "O Canada" (Hahvahd at Bright and Lake Placid in 1996.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 30, 2004 10:02AM

[Q]Ack Wrote:

In my limited time here, I don't think I've ever seen another team score during Rock 'n Roll Part 2...that hurt for a minute or two.[/q]

Yale did it a few years ago: [www.collegehockeystats.com]

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 30, 2004 11:11AM

That was before they decided to speed up a game that didn't need speeding up. It's likely the band had finished it by the time that goal was scored.

Posted by: jb (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 12:09PM

do you think moulson will have trouble this year without vesce? he lookes a little sluggish last night

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 12:17PM

Did everybody catch the 'Kill-Topher-Kill' cheer? I think the inherent humor would make that a keeper. Although it might degrade the cheer for when we do it for Schafer chewing out refs or any one of the number of big hitters we have this year actually destroying players.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 01:20PM

Really though, has a freshman ever won over the Faithful as quickly as Topher Scott has? He is really fun to watch. For those not at the game, it seems like every time he touches the puck, people start cheering wildly. He also did a GREAT job on faceoffs.

Posted by: gobigred24 (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 01:20PM

Can anyone tell me what the line combinations and D combinations were tonight- Schafer was mixing it up during the McGill game? Thanks!

Date: October 30, 2004 01:21PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

That was before they decided to speed up a game that didn't need speeding up. It's likely the band had finished it by the time that goal was scored.[/q]

Actually, I remember it happening, because I was there. I don't know if the band was playing or if the crowd was chanting at the exact moment of the goal (likely the latter), but I do remember being interrupted in the middle of Gary Glitter by a Yale goal.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 01:28PM

[Q]gobigred24 Wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the line combinations and D combinations were tonight- Schafer was mixing it up during the McGill game? Thanks![/q]

Cam Abbott-Pegoraro-Sawada
Moulson-Scott-Hynes
Knoepfli-Iggulden-Carefoot
Varteressian-Chris Abbott-McCutcheon

Defensive pairings:

Downs-O'Byrne
Pokulok-Cook
Krantz-Gleed

Date: October 30, 2004 01:35PM

so did pegoraro's line start? i thought they were the 2nd line

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 30, 2004 01:45PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

CowbellGuy Wrote:

That was before they decided to speed up a game that didn't need speeding up. It's likely the band had finished it by the time that goal was scored.[/Q]
Actually, I remember it happening, because I was there. I don't know if the band was playing or if the crowd was chanting at the exact moment of the goal (likely the latter), but I do remember being interrupted in the middle of Gary Glitter by a Yale goal.[/q]

Yup, I recall it as well, it definitely did happen, and I remembered it was Yale.

Date: October 30, 2004 01:52PM

[Q]jb Wrote:

do you think moulson will have trouble this year without vesce? he lookes a little sluggish last night[/q]

Moulson has definitely put on some muscle in the off season. I think it will take him a while to adjust to the bigger frame.

Date: October 30, 2004 01:58PM

[Q]duffs4 Wrote:

Army is even worse than McGill. McCutcheon had another very good game. Not too many players stood out though. Pokuluk could turn out to be one of the top blueliners in college hockey. The whole second line (Cam Abbott-Pegoraro-Sawada) failed to record points tonight, but every other Cornell forward scored. Defense jumped into the play a lot more tonight than they ever did last season. Very sold on the third and fourth lines but not yet sold on the first and second lines. Was not particularly impressed with Moulson or Cam Abbott.[/Q]
I guess we weren't watching the same game. McCutcheon was alright tonight but how many penalties did he have like 4. Cam Abbott played a great game, just because he doesn't score you are not impressed? Something he showed me tonight is that he has some serious drive. Did anyone catch the pass to himself off the back of the net in the second? That was somthing I used to see Martin StLouis do all the time, good stuff. The guys that I think stood out the most tonight were Shane hynes and Ryan O'byrne. They really looked like they gained strength, skill, and patience in the offseason. I can't wait to see more of this.[/q]

McCutcheon and his line generated the most scoring chances of any line and was on the ice for more Cornell goals than any other line. I agree that he took a bad penalty in the first period, although I wasn't sure why he was killing a penalty in the first place. As for Cam Abbott, he was not nearly as dangernous as he was against McGill. Considering McCutcheon didn't score (he got one assist) and I was still very impressed with his play, my assessment on not being particularly impressed with Abbott because he didn't score as you said probably doesn't stand up too well. Against McGill, I noticed Abbott every time he was the ice. Against Army, that whole line didn't gel all that well. I do think he and Pegoraro showed some good chemistry though.

Date: October 30, 2004 02:02PM

and any ideas as to why they broke up the abbott-abbott telekenesis?

Date: October 30, 2004 02:18PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

and any ideas as to why they broke up the abbott-abbott telekenesis?[/q]

I can't say for sure, but I'd have my doubts about a Varteressian-Pegoraro-McCutcheon line.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 02:54PM

I was pretty happy to see that we scored short handed. Does anyone know when the last time we scored a SH goal?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:06PM

[Q]duffs4 Wrote:

I was pretty happy to see that we scored short handed. Does anyone know when the last time we scored a SH goal? [/q]

Stephen Bâby had the last SHG against Quinnipiac in the first round of the 2002 NCAA tournament.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:17PM

Was there any evidence of the new "enforcement initiative" in the game? Any impact?
[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: atb9 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:28PM

A few thoughts...

I definitely had a few nervous jitters with the cheers and Army but when an army fan and his teenaged son gave me a holier than thou stare down after shouting "RED!" during the anthem, all of the tensions eased.

The post to post save that McKee made in the first period was amazing. The play was certainly telegraphed but it's always fun to see a goaltender move like that.

I think Pokulok is getting too much credit...he still seems really slow and his work ethic during the game is something to be desired. I caught him dogging it back on defense three times thus far in the season and I don't think I've seen that since I started following the team. His shot is heavy (as evidence, I offer the defenders shattered stick against McGill) and I thought he made a great adjustment to pinch in and wrist it during the 5x3 but I'm worried about even strength situations.

I think Bâby was loved as quickly as Topher for the same sort of reason. Bâby, like Topher, was a freak of nature.

See ya all in a few hours...let's not take Sacred Heart too lightly...last time I remember them coming here, we lost to them and the McRae's older brother.

Date: October 30, 2004 04:16PM

The big question is: who comes out of the lineup when Bitz returns?
Pegoraro or McCutcheon. If Pegoraro comes out, then expect Chris to go up with Cam and Sawada and Varteressian to move back to center the fourth line. Where will Bitz fit in? He did really well with Knoepfli and Iggulden, but Carefoot has also done well there.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 04:38PM

I don't know about his scoring, but Moulson is taking his Asst. Captain job seriously. A la Paolini, as soon as Pokuluk scored, and before the celebration, Moulson went to the ref, got the puck, and gave it to the CU bench. Class!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login