Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Die!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by BCrespi 
Die!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:07PM

Sitting in section A my friends and I were musing over whether or not the tubas would play the "Die, Drop Dead, Go Home" song and then asked the conducter if they were doing it. He agreed that it was in poor taste, being Army and all, and went up to ask the tubas. They played it anyway, and the crowd, though in fewer numbers than usual, followed along. I thought it was in very poor taste and, while Lynah has a fabulous abusive atmosphere that I normally love and makes it the best arena in college hockey, I felt we could have been a tad more sensitive in this case.

Re: Die!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:16PM

I don't think it was wrong. It's not like we were saying, "Die! Take a bullet in the head! Go to Iraq and get your head cut off!" I just don't see a problem so long as it's not specific. Otherwise, "Die!" is really inappropriate for all schools, not just Army.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.174.84.---)
Date: October 29, 2004 11:24PM

Oy.

When I heard the cheer over the radio feed, I was wondering how many people would get unnecessarily offended by the cheer, or comments on its supposed inappropriateness.

It's done for every single opponent.

Nothing needed to change. No need for us to be oversensitive. It's just a hockey game.

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 01:00AM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

Nothing needed to change.[/q]

Well, the over-extended "diiiieeeeeeeeee" could be changed...I still can't enjoy that (sorry, kiddo).

Posted by: puff (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 01:43AM

ok, so the engineer example was poor. I wasn't exactly having clear vision at that point last night. The bars tend to cloud clear vision at times

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2004 05:09PM by puff.

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 02:23AM

The game is over, let's not dwell on this too much now. I think it's time to focus on ways we can offend or avoid offending (whichever you prefer) the Sacred Heart hockey team. I wasn't down in Florida for the ND game last year so I have to ask... priest jokes - fair game, out of date, off color? :-P

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 02:50AM

[Q]puff Wrote:
I have to say, how many engineers from RPI are joining the infantry? Just a thought.[/q]
Actually, there are quite a few engineers going to Afghanistan and Iraq as contractors. And unless you choose to ignore the kidnapping/hostage situation abroad, engineers are frequent targets. The Cornell Engineering community lost one of our own, in fact.

It's a cheer. Nobody in the building really wishes anyone on the ice or benches to actually die. (Although, I wouldn't mind a lot having a lot of the soldiers abroad come home.) If it makes you feel weird, don't say it. Nobody is forcing you. Just don't take it so seriously.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:23AM

[Q]sockralex Wrote:

The game is over, let's not dwell on this too much now. I think it's time to focus on ways we can offend or avoid offending (whichever you prefer) the Sacred Heart hockey team. I wasn't down in Florida for the ND game last year so I have to ask... priest jokes - fair game, out of date, off color?[/q]
As I recall, two years ago there was a story about the Columbia marching band catching flack for making an altar boy joke at a football game against Fordham.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:36AM

someone yelled at me for an alter boy joke against st lawrence last year

Posted by: billhoward (---.wstb.lax.wayport.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 07:12AM

In Florida last year at the Everblades Tournament, the locals and some of the other schools' alumni found it sacreligious that the Cornell fans emphased RED! during the national anthem.

Plus in a big building with booming acoustics it's hard to do very good altar boy jokes as a cheer. If it's short it won't be subtle and if it's subtle it's not going to be short. "Ref, you suck" is about the most syllables you'll get out with clarity unless you're really lucky. Plus a lot of the Notre Dame fans are probably fed up with how the church is mismanaging things, too.

There sure were a lot of Notre Dame alumni down in Florida. Although that was part of the reason for the Everblades selections: Get decent schools with big snowbird contingents such as Notre Dame and Ohio State.

If for some reason you have parents or in-laws retired to the west coast of Florida and you've been putting off the invitation to go see them for the Christmas/New Year holiday, the Everblades makes for a decent way to break up the week. We do our obligatory visit last year and loved it. Plus the in-laws loaned us a Town Car (with mock convertible roof) to make the drive - perfect car for the sunshine state.

Catholic cheer
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 08:45AM

One that I'm proud of from the Notre Dame game last year was "Forgive me, Father, for I'm a SIEVE!" Topical, but not terribly offensive.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Catholic cheer
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 09:55AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

One that I'm proud of from the Notre Dame game last year was "Forgive me, Father, for I'm a SIEVE!" Topical, but not terribly offensive.[/q]

Mind if I steal that for tonight's game?

Re: Catholic cheer
Date: October 30, 2004 10:17AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

One that I'm proud of from the Notre Dame game last year was "Forgive me, Father, for I'm a SIEVE!" Topical, but not terribly offensive.[/Q]
Mind if I steal that for tonight's game?[/q]

Be my guest.

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 12:40PM

Why would you make an altar boy joke against St. Lawrence?

Date: October 30, 2004 01:07PM

[Q]Mike Hedrick 01 Wrote:

Why would you make an altar boy joke against St. Lawrence?
[/q]

Because it would offend their fans?

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 02:43PM

I suppose it would offend a lot of folks, but we do understand that St. Lawrence University is named for a river - it is not a Catholic school.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 30, 2004 05:39PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

someone yelled at me for an alter boy joke against st lawrence last year[/q]

What? That was one of your best ones!

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 09:49PM

todd,

"arararararararararara"

mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login