Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

amusing army comments

Posted by A-19 
amusing army comments
Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 28, 2004 05:42PM

dear all,

having graduated, there are just too many great one-liners for fans to use against army this weekend. i would rather see others use em rather than let them go to waste. if i were able to make it, i would have a field day with:

- dont ask dont tell
- moulson is a weapon of mass destruction (somebody used this for murray in the ecac finals when we started the iraq war)
- warm up the tank (not a mike original)
- general schwartzkopf called...
- we know your plans, geraldo showed them to us
- possibly more offensive than its worth: you cant find osama or the back of the net
- thank you sir, may i have another
- anything from GI Joe, like "sargeant slaughter"
i'm sure i'll have others, and i have absolute confidence in the creative ability of you guys here.

that being said, i am a big fan of the us armed forces. remember that your job is to give the players hell while on ice, but make sure to show them the respect they deserve for fighting for our country, at the end of the game.

-mike '04

Re: amusing army comments
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 28, 2004 07:03PM

Uh, isn't Schwartzkopf a little out of date? He hasn't been in command since I was on the hill, which has been quite a few years now. At least use someone like General Franks...

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 28, 2004 07:12PM

I think "Sergeant Slaughter called" will work well. ;-)

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:38AM

I'm all for a "Go Navy, Beat Army" cheer - I mean, if we can bring our absent, sometimes former rivals into it (think Screw BU...), then why not their absent and non-existent-in-hockey rivals? Plus, I just like the Navy :-)

Can we also come up with something short saying much the same as "the best part of going to your school is being an alum...and even that can really suck"? Maybe the long version ought to be left to those with voices loud enough to get in the sieve's head... The best short version I can come up with at the moment is "(point to Army) Gun, (point to Cornell) Fun," but I know someone can do better.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:48AM

"Next time, send Marines"

Point to Cornell: "Going pro."
Point to Army: "Six years, no cut"
Point to Cornell: "Going pro."

This is not the sixties, so "Bâby killers" is probably not the proper sentiment. As as John Kerry said (not his originally), you can honor the warriors apart from the war.

[By the way, when I type b a b y, it comes up with the accent, like it autocorrects to [Stephen] Bâby.]

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:58AM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

I'm all for a "Go Navy, Beat Army" cheer [/q]
The band has traditionally played "Anchors Aweigh" as Army skated out in past games. That usually has the desired effect.

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 02:58AM

How about a combination of a couple of cheers:

Giuliani called, he said: It's all your fault.

[1010wins.com]

Date: October 29, 2004 03:15AM

schwartzkopf is fantastic

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: October 29, 2004 07:37AM

Please no references to the war, politics, or whatever at the game. The players you see on the ice for Army have a very good chance of going into combat after graduation.

Although "wrong game, wrong place, wrong time" would have made a great cheer.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: October 29, 2004 08:31AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Please no references to the war, politics, or whatever at the game. The players you see on the ice for Army have a very good chance of going into combat after graduation.
[/q]

1 Lt John Fernandez, 2001 captain of Army's lacrosse team is a perfect example. Before you say anything that might cross the line, ask yourself if you could say it to Lt Fernandez's face.

Posted by: puff (128.84.159.---)
Date: October 29, 2004 08:40AM

My thoughts exactly.
Not that we at Lynah are known for always having the best taste (although its not our fault they're sieves), to make too many if any reference regarding the war and its politics i think would be an error on our part. The boys on the ice over the next few years could very likely be sacrificing thier lives for us and our country so i don't think its right to dive below the belt on them.
Seeing i'm Navy, I'll enjoy watching Army lose, but i strongly feel we gotta take the high road on this one.

Go Navy (um, i mean Cornell), Beat Army.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2004 08:49AM by puff.

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 08:56AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

[/q]

I agree. War is too serious of an issue to belittle at a hockey game. Politics (that are unrelated to war), on the other hand, are a joke. And with that:

Support our troops! Send their hockey team home. or Send their sieve to the bench.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 09:02AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

[/q]

Hey Berge ... shut the hell up. When are you going to stop being a vagina (no offense to frequent women posters such as JerseyGirl).

Shit, if they are going to Iraq after the game, we should just let them win the game, right Berge?

Besides, these guys could use the practice, if they get upset because some elitist bastard yells something at a hockey game, I don't want them in Iraq. Lynah is hostile, but it is no Iraq. Consider this combat training.

Date: October 29, 2004 09:05AM

Okay, so real life military matters should be left off the table. So, we should give fictional military matters more thought. All the more reason to use the G.I. Joe references. :-P

Posted by: puff (128.84.159.---)
Date: October 29, 2004 09:18AM

I don't know if i should be offended by that post because it belittles what they are doing so much or not (and i'm not talking about on the ice).

Seriously, there are lines that shouldn't be crossed even by the faithful.

I do like the GI JOE idea though...

Posted by: billhoward (---.wstb.lax.wayport.net)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:21AM

Amazing how the climate on campus changed in a generation. Imagine an eLynah of the late 1960s urging civility toward a visiting Army team.

A lot of the good cheers / signs are going to be too complex to use. "Wrong game, wrong place, wrong time" is too long and too subtle for a cheer. Interesting sign but it also sounds as if Cornell chose the wrong opponent.

Everyone who goes to the penalty box, you could cheer, "See you later, Eisenhower."

Have to save some energy for Sacred Heart on Saturday.

Date: October 29, 2004 10:52AM

this pc garbage is getting ridiculous
everywhere you go, you have to sidestep over your words because you might offend someone's delicate and unique sensibilities.
there is clearly a difference between some amusing political-military comment and saying something like "wow after you lose, have fun in iraq," which is pretty assenine.

anyone too stupid to understand the wrong war kerry comment has had their head up their ass for the last 4 weeks and is probably not a cornell caliber student.

i'd love to see someone ask the goalie if he has a military-industrial complex

-mike

Date: October 29, 2004 11:10AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

i'd love to see someone ask the goalie if he has a military-industrial complex
[/q]

Actually, that's funny, and I don't think inappropriate at all. Mind if I steal that tonight?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 29, 2004 11:10AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:
this pc garbage is getting ridiculous
everywhere you go, you have to sidestep over your words because you might offend someone's delicate and unique sensibilities.[/q]
I'm impressed to see the "PC" label applied to something that involves offending principles sacred to the right. Can we also use the same term to refer to people who get offended at people yelling "RED" during the national anthem? I'm sure Larry Winer would love to be referred to as politically correct. laugh

For my part, I have to say I'm surprised there wasn't a sanctimonious uproar over the "Doug Murray: Weapon of Mass Destruction" sign at the ECACs last year.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: puff (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 12:50PM

Ok, maybe i didn't express my opinion in the right way, or maybe i was misunderstood....
This is the stuff i don't agree with:

[Q]Facetimer Wrote:

Besides, these guys could use the practice, if they get upset because some elitist bastard yells something at a hockey game, I don't want them in Iraq. Lynah is hostile, but it is no Iraq. Consider this combat training.[/q]

[Q]sockralex Wrote:

How about a combination of a couple of cheers:

Giuliani called, he said: It's all your fault.

[1010wins.com][/q]

BUT, i do agree with things like this:

[Q]sockralex Wrote:

Support our troops! Send their hockey team home. or Send their sieve to the bench.[/q]

Knowing how the faithful can get sometimes, i just dont' want things to get to the point where it crosses the line. Like this EXTREME example that came to my head:
(as the sieve can't block a shot)
"The pucks won't hit you, but the bullets will" or one of the many variations that can be made to that effect.

I'm just saying, we can be cleaver, we can be tactful, but i think we need to show them some respect for what they (the Army as a whole) are doing for us by not taking any cheap shots.

Date: October 29, 2004 01:01PM

i agree, clever but tactful. there's a big difference there betwen that and worrying so much about offending them that you are afraid to say anything. these are army boys; they bear the whole hellish college experience of a cadet, i think they can take a few offhand comments.

something like "you can't defend the net, how are you going to defend the country" is more than i would say personally. but there are SO many possibilities for clever cheering that it's foolish to rule them out.

what does navy say at army-navy games?

anybody can take anything they want that i mentioned- i will be in ithaca 1 weekend (H/B) this season, so i'd love to see this stuff go used.

mike

hmmmm
Posted by: Petunia LiCicero '95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:06PM

According to Cornell's website, Cornell is 14-16-1 all-time vs Army.
According to Army's website, Army is 17-13-1 all-time vs Cornell.
How does this happen?

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:14PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Amazing how the climate on campus changed in a generation. Imagine an eLynah of the late 1960s urging civility toward a visiting Army team.
[/q]

Maybe because students of today had uncles and fathers that were spit on and reviled, or at best were shunned and marginalized, just for having had the shitty luck to get drafted.

And ignoring the PTSD, alcoholism, chronic unemployment and resultant mental health issues that followed was an utterly shameful period in American history. Maybe not smallpox blanket or Japanese internment shameful, but shameful nonetheless. Work in a VA hospital like I did, and you'll never look at a vet the same way again.

Tonight, the only political sign that is appropriate for tonight is a very simple one: "USMA: Thank you."

I think we should also thank Jordan, and Noah, and Lynch, and Ruthie, and Tess. Come home safe. Our thoughts are with you.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:33PM

[q]Tonight, the only political sign that is appropriate for tonight is a very simple one: "USMA: Thank you."[/q]I think a sign like that would get the point across that it's the skaters on the ice, while they are on the ice, that we're rooting against.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 02:19PM

If some jackass facetimer makes some off color "cheer" involving the armed services I would hope the adjoining Lynah Faithful would give them a beat down and throw them out instead of smiling awkwardly or joining in the "cheer".

There are a lot of people coming to the game who aren't reading this thread and might not be as intelligent as all you fine posters. A little self-policing may in order.

Evan '02

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2004 02:54PM

[www.uscho.com]
according to USCHO...
"Elsewhere in Ivy land, No. 14 Cornell, with 20 players returning, hosts Army (0-2-1, 0-1-1 AH) and Sacred Heart (3-1-0, 3-0-0 AH). The Black Knights from West Point lead the all-time series, which began in the 1906-07 season."

if you are so motivated you can go to tbrw and look at each year and total the records...I am not so motivated :)

I remember seeing somewhere the record vs. every team for CU but I cannot remember where. It should be in the program for this weekend for Army and Sacred Heart at least

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2004 02:55PM by jy3.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:59PM

Maybe more people read this thread than we might've thought... there was a nice litle "U-S-A" cheer during the post-game handshake.

Re: hmmmm
Posted by: billhoward (---.wstb.lax.wayport.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 07:22AM

[Q]Petunia LiCicero '95 Wrote:

According to Cornell's website, Cornell is 14-16-1 all-time vs Army.
According to Army's website, Army is 17-13-1 all-time vs Cornell.
How does this happen?
[/q]

You mean, like a victory overrun? This would not be the first time in history the army has overstated its capabilities.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login