Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Whats the deal with I2sports

Posted by upperdeck 
Whats the deal with I2sports
Posted by: upperdeck (128.253.80.---)
Date: October 27, 2004 02:48PM

I dont see any info at cornellbigred.com and i2sports calendar is about 6 months old.. I did find this link [i2sports.com] but its also old.. It also seems that charging $5 to watch a game for season ticket holders is kinda like double taxation.. Its bad enough to have a miss a game and be out the $20 a ticket but then to charged again to try and watch it.. But its also normal policy to not think things thru and charge for something that outa be free

Re: Whats the deal with I2sports
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 27, 2004 03:05PM

I don't see a problem with charging a season ticket holder who can't make it to the game. Not to sound like a d***, but if you buy a ticket you can't use then that's your problem. Besides, it's not like you can't sell the ticket to someone else to use.

I do have a problem with the Athletic Dept. charging for this (and the audio). If they had sense they'd want to encourage alums to support the team and encourage parents and future recruits to see what Lynah and Cornell hockey is all about. But that's a subject that's been beaten to death several times.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2004 07:24PM

I don't have a real problem with charging for video, since there's a lot less precedent for free video. I'd be happy to pay for the video if some of the money were used to subsidize free audio.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 27, 2004 08:14PM

[q]I don't have a real problem with charging for video, since there's a lot less precedent for free video. I'd be happy to pay for the video if some of the money were used to subsidize free audio.[/q]I'd be less inclined to complain about charging for video if the audio was free. But there was (Age) and is (Colgate) free video around, so it's not without precedent.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2004 09:34PM

Its not so much charging but price policy. $5 a game or $60 for the season if the numbers are correct, no hint of a schedule, no promotion. are they trying to make money or recoup the costs of doing this? And it easy to say you cant sell tickets you cant use, but with kids that decision to go or not is often done last minute and 40 minutes from lynah. it would be nice to rewatch the game even if i do go but i cant see paying money to watch a game i was at. in that case its lost revenue to them. everyone is out to make money on this type of thing. for cornell there is no increase ticket sales because there are no seats left. what profit does this create are 100-200 people buying in at$5 in which case they create $1000 a game for 12 games $12000 and much of that goes back to i2sports. if they really want to make money why farm it out why not just produce it and serve it out ourselves, they could probably get students to run the show for free the servers and software is cheap instead of splitting costs. this isnt a high production tv type show. if they want to make money then do it and make money if they want to nickel and dime people then fund it and make all the alumni have an easy way to watch the program..

Posted by: Robb (---.187.38.223.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: October 27, 2004 09:47PM

Actually, last year (obviously nobody knows ANYTHING about this year yet), anyone could watch the archived games for free after the fact - can't remember how long it took them to post the videos, but it wasn't long. So strike that from your at best partially informed list of gripes. rolleyes

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2004 09:51PM

It would also help if CIT were willing to waive the $2/gb NUBB charge, but they were disinclined to, last I checked. At the low bitrate I was using, it was still something like 500MB/person/game. With a more useful bitrate and free access, that would end up being a significant chunk of change. The software I was using was $500, which your generous donations (mostly) covered. A decent server would run a couple grand and another computer to do the compression and production in the rink for another couple grand, and we haven't even talked about cameras. The team camera was a) poor quality and b) poorly operated. If you're going to do it right, you'll need a couple cameras to boot. So even if you're getting free manpower, it's not an insignificant, though mostly one-off, investment.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2004 05:37AM

Doesn't the question remain as to whether we will even have video this year from I2? I agree with upperdeck because I can find no link to Cornell Hockey information from I2 for the 2004-05 year.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 28, 2004 07:10AM

DeltaOne already got an e-mail back from i2sports saying as such, right? Even if apparently their web site sucks.

Date: October 28, 2004 11:31AM

The one-time cost of setting up the system to broadcast might not be cheap, but I think it would be something that alums would donate money for. We demonstrated this in the past with the original audio server, though admittedly forum folks only put up a fraction of the cost before the boosters agreed to foot the rest of the bill. Bandwidth is another issue entirely.
My guess is that Athletics is not trying to make money off of this. They just don't want to deal with the mechanics of running the system. So they farmed it out.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 28, 2004 11:40AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
My guess is that Athletics is not trying to make money off of this. They just don't want to deal with the mechanics of running the system. So they farmed it out.[/q]
I believe you're right, Keith. What would be interesting to know is how much Colgate pays i2sports to make free video available for all home games

Posted by: billhoward (---.wstb.lax.wayport.net)
Date: October 28, 2004 12:27PM

cornellbigred.com lists radio and a gametracker but no television. Darn. When you have web TV, you complain about how lousy the picture is, and no replays. Then you complain even more when you can't get it at all.

Posted by: JS '93 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 28, 2004 03:32PM

This was on the CSTV website today. The Cornell hockey link is finally posted on the I2Sports website.
--------------------------------------------------
2004-05 Cornell Hockey Webcasts Available Through i2Sports.com

Big Red fans can catch all 14 games from Lynah Rink

Oct. 28, 2004

ITHACA, N.Y.--Fans who cannot make it to Lynah Rink this season will again have the opportunity to catch Big Red webcasts through i2sports.com, the University announced Thursday. Cornell men's hockey has played to a sellout crowd for the past 50 games, including four exhibitions. The partnership with i2sports.com will again allow fans who could not get tickets and out-of-town fans an opportunity to catch all of the action on the East Hill.

All 14 regular-season games will be offered through i2sports webcasting service. The webcasts will be produced using two camera angles and will include play-by-play action from Cornell's official broadcaster, Jason Weinstein.

A subscription fee of $5 per game or $65 for all 14 regular-season games is required. The fee allows fans access to the webcast as well as access to archived games.

More information on i2sports and the Cornell hockey webcasts can be found on their website: www.i2sports.com.

I2sports is an internet sports broadcast corporation located at Syracuse University's CASE Center. It produces and webcasts LIVE amateur sporting events including track meets, footraces, ice hockey, field hockey, wrestling, football, basketball, volleyball, tennis, swimming and diving, lacrosse, soccer, softball and baseball, as well as business and academic events.

It is recommended that viewers go to www.i2sports.com in advance of an upcoming event to test their systems and make sure they have compatible hardware, software, internet connections, etc. The following provides general system requirement information. Please consult www.i2sports.com to find out if you will be able to get the broadcasts.

Webcasts Technical Requirements
Before you attempt to
view the webcasts, please make sure your computer system meets the following
requirements:

Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP

Macintosh 9.1 or higher
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher Netscape will not work
Download:
Mac
| PC
Microsoft Windows Media Player 6.4 or 7
Download:
Mac
| PC

Internet Explorer Security Setting at Medium

Date: October 28, 2004 05:08PM

[q]What would be interesting to know is how much Colgate pays i2sports to make free video available for all home games [/q]In fairness, I wouldn't be surprised if there was higher demand for Cornell hockey on the internet than Colgate. Nothing against Colgate, of course (nothing to see here, woofing gods!). Just my estimate of the teams' relative following. If I'm right then i2sports would logically charge Cornell more for blanket service than they would charge Colgate.

Date: October 28, 2004 05:16PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

What would be interesting to know is how much Colgate pays i2sports to make free video available for all home games [/Q]
In fairness, I wouldn't be surprised if there was higher demand for Cornell hockey on the internet than Colgate. Nothing against Colgate, of course (nothing to see here, woofing gods!). Just my estimate of the teams' relative following. If I'm right then i2sports would logically charge Cornell more for blanket service than they would charge Colgate.[/q]
The demand is likely higher, but is the cost? Certainly it would cost no more to originate the broadcasts for us than for them. And there must be some cost to manage the subscription process rather than just make it available to everyone. Additional cost for server capacity? Age? Bill Howard?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 28, 2004 05:32PM

I'm not an expert, but I imagine the server load would be the most costly part of the equation. Of course, then again, maybe Cornell is making money hand over fist here off the deal.

Date: October 28, 2004 05:44PM

Only if you're paying for amount of data transferred. In most cases you pay a flat fee for a certain amount of bandwidth. That's not how it works at Cornell, however, where someone came up with the arcane and half-assed idea to charge $2/gb to curb the abusers. I'm guessing i2Sports uses a Cornell connection to feed the stream to their base of operations where their servers live and rebroadcast from there. Chances are they get whatever they need from SU and there's no effect on the Cornell end of things.

Date: October 28, 2004 08:25PM

Just to check, neither of the links for this weekend's games actually works yet, right? They're trying to deliver a stream that seems not to exist.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2004 09:37PM

good luck trying to use the i2sports site to get signed up its a mess.. in any case if you want it and sign up now its seems to only want to charge $60..

Date: October 28, 2004 10:20PM

Actually, I just got a mail that they're cutting the rate to $50 because the archive feature won't work for the first half of the season.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nrp6.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 28, 2004 11:07PM

[Q]Cornell's official broadcaster, Jason Weinstein[/Q]

Is that right, Adam Wodon is not doing the play by play? (I guess I haven't been paying enough attention.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:59AM

Cost to create the broadcast, such as it is, is the same whether it's for 10 people or 10,000. Yes, you need more bandwidth to serve up to more people, but in the scheme of things, it's not a huge load. If there's a backhaul charge to get the feed from Ithaca to Syracuse, it's not a big amount and it's the same regardless of how many viewers get the feed.

I don't know the numbers, but I'm betting the Web viewers are in the hundreds for Cornell hockey. Maybe 1,000. I don't think it's 2,500 and I doubt it's more than the 3867 who actually get into Lynah in person. If it's 1,000 and you bring in $5 a person, that's $5,000 and nobody's getting rich once you bring down a truck with, what, three people, even if they're not pulling down John Madden salaries or even ESPN road crew salaries.

This is not the NCAA basketball tournament where tens of millions of dollars change hands.

Last year I watched maybe five or six games, plus four in person. I bet even a lot of good fans don't watch every Webcast. I love hockey but the video feed is pretty meager stuff - tiny image, no replay, the only way you know the puck goes is is that about 10 pixels onscreen behind the goal all of a sudden burn bright red.

How many of you have watched more than ten Webcast games last year?

Date: October 29, 2004 09:18AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
How many of you have watched more than ten Webcast games last year?
[/q]
I'm pretty sure I watched at least part of ten games. I think I watched every home game besides the four I attended.

But then I'm nuts.

Date: October 29, 2004 09:38AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Actually, I just got a mail that they're cutting the rate to $50 because the archive feature won't work for the first half of the season.[/q]
Season pass now $49.99 per i2sports web site.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cust.telepacific.net)
Date: October 29, 2004 12:52PM

Ok.

So any suggestions on whether I should go with i2 or just the RealAudio radio broadcast?

I did the radio broadcast for some games last year, never did i2. After trying to watch some of the i2 archives, I'm a bit jitterish about their ability to provide a quality streaming feed. How was the quality last year? Any hiccups in the feed?

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:07PM

I think AnneDVM and I missed 2 home games on the net (one to watch the women play at Harvard). Didn't make it to a single home game in person :(

Oh, and I should add that (using IE on XP) I would right click on the video, copy the url, then open that url with Windows media player so we could watch either 3/4 or full screen. Sure, it isn't the best image in the world, but it is way better than just radio.

LGR!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2004 01:09PM by crodger1.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:17PM

If you are getting just one, then get the realaudio -- that way you can get the away games also.

I didn't have many problems with i2sports. There were a couple of glitches in just one or two of the games, and overall I was very pleased. I'll note that I have a cable modem, XP, use WMP, and have a computer that's about a year and 3/4 old.

I wish they had an instant replay, but we typically had the game on the web radio downstairs as well, which was generally a little ahead, so if Adam got very excited we knew to pay extra attention.

LGR!

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2004 02:44PM

is there a free link to listen tonight? anyone aware? help

Colgate's free webcam
Date: October 30, 2004 10:35PM

Something else occurred to me last night. I believe Colgate televises their home games on their school network, which means i2sports has zero production involved. Just grab their video and stream it for, one would imagine, a much cheaper fee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login