Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

scouting harvard

Posted by A-19 
scouting harvard
Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 24, 2004 01:17AM

though i did not attend the harv. exhibition game tonight, harvard seems off to a pretty sad start:

Windsor 2, Harvard 2
Exhibition Game
Saturday, October 23, 2004 at Bright Hockey Center (Att: 175)

i'm surprised 175 people even showed up, given the world series. now i don't know anything about windsor, but princeton beat them 9-2 the other day, so that's saying alot.

i'll post a more substantive review of harvard after watching the game against U-18 next weekend.

-mike '04

ps: it doesn't seem like you can blame it on hypen either; the second-string let in the 2 goals.

Re: scouting harvard
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 24, 2004 02:04AM

Wow. That is a pathetic result for Harvard. I'm pretty sure Windsor is one of the worst teams in the CIAU. This was evident in last night's blowout at the hands of Princeton.

Date: October 24, 2004 02:15AM

even with only 175 people there, i doubt i would have gotten inside windsor's head enough to affect the game had i gone. and i just can't get too excited for harvard hockey, considering they make me pay out the ass for season tickets (which didn't even include tonight's game for some reason). they should be paying fans to actually show up.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 24, 2004 04:20AM

[q]i doubt i would have gotten inside windsor's head enough to affect the game[/q]Inside Windsor's head? Wouldn't you want to get inside Harvard's head? After all, this isn't a non-conf game that counts, so a Harvard loss is the best possible result...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.wan.networktel.net)
Date: October 24, 2004 11:24AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

i doubt i would have gotten inside windsor's head enough to affect the game[/Q]
Inside Windsor's head? Wouldn't you want to get inside Harvard's head? After all, this isn't a non-conf game that counts, so a Harvard loss is the best possible result...[/q]

Really. It's perfectly acceptable to get Hahvahd season tickets, but for frell's sake root against them!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 24, 2004 02:15PM

the better harvard does against all teams besides cornell, the better for cornell.
this is in regard to mathematical rankings, national reputation of the conference, etc. i don't think there's any question about it. we don't look so big if we win in a league where the second best team ties some canadian b-team in an exhibition, i'm sorry.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 24, 2004 02:44PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

the better harvard does against all teams besides cornell, the better for cornell.
this is in regard to mathematical rankings, national reputation of the conference, etc. i don't think there's any question about it. we don't look so big if we win in a league where the second best team ties some canadian b-team in an exhibition, i'm sorry.[/q]

Well, the thing is, a Harvard exhibition game against a Canadian college team means nothing, so at that time, root against Harvard. In fact, I'd say root against Harvard in all games except when it would directly benefit us, such as if they could beat a team ahead of us in the rankings, or in a nonconference game, when we should always root for the ECACHL team.

Posted by: Redscore (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 24, 2004 03:40PM

Take a look at the box score - 47 shots to 8. These things happen. I wouldn't read too much into this result.

Date: October 24, 2004 05:04PM

Well, it makes sense to root for Harvard, or any ECAC team, when it's a non-conf game since it will help us indirectly via RPI, etc. But a non-conf game is different.

Date: October 24, 2004 06:34PM

i still disagree. you are thinking too much in terms of rpi. think instead about the reputation of our league. is it irrelevant to cornell and our rank if harvard and colgate and dartmouth lose to teams like american intl or robert morris or the us under 18 team? pretty much. but what does it say about our league, our competition and ultimately our schedule if we play a bunch of teams who can't beat awful opponents. cornell needs ecac teams to do as well as possible, whether the games count or not. let's put it like this: if minnesota and duluth and all the other "great" wcha teams start losing consistently to bad opponents, this would devalue our opinion of the team leading the wcha (like north dakota). in addition to its own game play, a team gets credibility when its conference teams perform well consistently.

that's why i will root for any ecac team in an out of conference game, and i will root for the strong ecac teams to do away with all others except us. i'd rather be in a conference where the top 3-4 teams consistently play well than where we lead a conference of inconsistent and mediocre opponents.

mike

Date: October 24, 2004 08:59PM

I understand. But it's an EXHIBITION game and it's HARVARD.

No point arguing over this though. :-)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 24, 2004 09:48PM

UConn upset UMass today in OT. Some interesting results in interleague play thus far.

Re: Interesting results
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 25, 2004 08:42AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Some interesting results in interleague play thus far.[/q]

That's an understatement, Al.

One wonders wheter Niagara is that good, or Vermont is that bad. Probably a little of both. And I'm starting to get a bit nervous about SLU. They're big, they gave us some tough games last year, and they're off to a good start so far this year.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 25, 2004 09:22AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

One wonders wheter Niagara is that good, or Vermont is that bad. Probably a little of both.[/q]

A lot of both, I'd say. Niagara is probably (arguably) the best overall team in the CHA. Even in a weak conference, the strong teams can do some damage. Meanwhile, Vermont is the team last year that didn't get its first win until December 20, the latest for any NCAA D-I team last year as I recall. Have fun being Hockey East's doormat next year, Catamounts!

[q]And I'm starting to get a bit nervous about SLU. They're big, they gave us some tough games last year, and they're off to a good start so far this year.[/q]

This team was bound to become dangerous again some time. I don't know what went wrong in the past few years and now what's suddenly going nearly right.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2004 12:31PM

[Q]Will Wrote:
(SLU) was bound to become dangerous again some time. I don't know what went wrong in the past few years and now what's suddenly going nearly right.[/q] I'll believe that when I see it with my own two eyes. SLU(t) has had too much talent and done too little with it over the past three seasons for me to assume things will be different just based on on the strength of a couple of early wins.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2004 07:50PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Have fun being Hockey East's doormat next year, Catamounts![/Q]
Yes, but being a doormat in Hockey East automatically gives them the god-given right to claim that they would be a top-4 finisher in the EZACHL. rolleyes

[q]
And I'm starting to get a bit nervous about SLU. They're big, they gave us some tough games last year, and they're off to a good start so far this year.[/Q]
This team was bound to become dangerous again some time. I don't know what went wrong in the past few years and now what's suddenly going nearly right.[/q]
Let's not forget that SLU was 2-time ECAC champs in '00 and '01. The SLU class of '01 graduated 9 seniors. There are 11 seniors on this year's roster. That's a lot of experience hitting the ice. Talent or not, having that many players who have played together for 3 previous seasons gives some sort of advantage, especially early in the season when other teams are still working with their chemistry. Also, this is the 2nd "cycle" of classes through that SLU has been able to offer hockey scholarships. SLU could certainly be a sleeper.

Date: October 30, 2004 10:06PM

alright, having just come back from harvard's 7-4 win over the U-18 team, i have a few reflections about our next friday opponents:

(1) don't let the score fool you. harvard is a much worse caliber team than any squad i have seen them field in the past five years:
(a) refs waved off a 5th goal for U-18 on a poor call
(b) harvard's third string goalie Tobe was awful. Daigneau was poor as well, though visibly better than Tobe. Hypen did not dress for some reason. I did not see him in the arena either.
(c) the 7th harvard goal was ENG anyway
(d) the U-18 goaltender was very very bad. let in alot of dribblers and rebounds
(e) harvard was losing for essentially a whole period. they become only marginally better as the game progressed.
(f) even harvard's veteran players (cavanagh, welch etc) looked slow and inexperienced
(2) given harvard's poor play against windsor, brown and U-18, i would not be surprised to see them play poorly next weekend in ithaca
(3) on a personal note, watching the game tonight was utterly depressing. i figured, what was the harm in cheering for harvard moderately- i argued before it helps cornell's image to have a good second ecac team, and after all, i do attend school here now. but then i get to the rink, they have no fans (expected) and no band and no one is even clapping when they score. i find myself inadvertently clapping when the U-18 team makes a good play, and i realized that i don't give a shit whether harvard wins or not. now that i think about it, i was so enraged that i had paid $133 for season tix (which gave me the opportunity to buy guaranteed tix to both cornell games, basically), that i am pretty sure i'd be happy if they lost their season miserably. i have almost no interest in attending another game of theirs, aside from the cu one and bc and maine.

-mike '04

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 10:16PM

What did you think of defenseman Chad Morin? He is allegedly considering Cornell as one of his college choices.

Date: October 30, 2004 10:57PM

that's great, all we need is someone a letter away from moron. no one on the u-18 team stood out, save for their awful goalie. my friend tells me that he is friends with defenseman Inman on the U-18 team, who is supposedly considering cornell, yale, princeton and harvard. he had one big hit i saw at least.
one standout for harvard was #22 freshman dave watters, who is a huge kid and scored twice off some deflections, though

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: November 01, 2004 01:19PM

I think this is as good a place as any to appreciate the fine handiwork of MIT engineers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login