Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red jerseys at home?

Posted by canucksfan 
Red jerseys at home?
Posted by: canucksfan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2004 12:30PM

Was this just a one-time thing or will they be wearing the reds at home all season? I don't think they've ever done that before.

Re: Red jerseys at home?
Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: October 23, 2004 01:05PM

I assumed it was because McGill only brought their whites on the trip. I think the reds look cool at home. I believe they wore reds at home back in the day (50s or 60s?) They wore the reds at home in Love Story too.

Posted by: O.S.B. (---.182.23.190.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 23, 2004 01:21PM

Maybe they're trying to follow the NHL? Last year the NHL switched jerseys, so maybe college hockey has started to do that this season also?

Posted by: Jim (68.163.16.---)
Date: October 23, 2004 01:46PM

[Q]O.S.B. Wrote:

Maybe they're trying to follow the NHL? Last year the NHL switched jerseys, so maybe college hockey has started to do that this season also?[/q]

And we all saw what happened to the NHL :-P

Posted by: strixvaria (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 23, 2004 01:59PM

I called Dave a sieve. blush

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 23, 2004 07:30PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

I assumed it was because McGill only brought their whites on the trip. I think the reds look cool at home. I believe they wore reds at home back in the day (50s or 60s?) They wore the reds at home in Love Story too. [/q]
Two national championships wearing red at home. B-]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: October 23, 2004 09:27PM

The CCHA switched over last year, but only for league games. Personally, I think the home team should just get to decide which color to wear and the visitors should have to wear the opposite. But I guess that might mean bringing two sets of jerseys for a travel partner weekend.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: willy (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2004 01:14PM

no they just wore red because mcgill did not have a set of extra jerseys

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: October 25, 2004 12:06AM

That's right, and I remember that when I first started attending games in 1971, the home color was red. But a couple years later they switched to the white home uniforms because everyone agreed that it was easier on road teams not to have to clean their whites while traveling in order to look decent.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 25, 2004 11:49PM

That has been the conventional wisdom - you can wear dark jerseys two nights in a row on the road and they'll look okay. But do the players just have one dark and one white jersey? Do the managers not have access to washing machines Saturday afternoon?

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 26, 2004 07:09AM

The question is, how on earth do they breathe on Saturday night if they are wearing unwashed jerseys? I sat directly behind the bench at Yale my freshman year, and the smell after the third period nearly killed me. I guess they're just used to the stench of their pads...ew...smelly boys...

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 26, 2004 10:01AM

It's all part of the retro-caveman aura. Notice how virtually every player is unshaven on game day in all the major sports? Shaving just before the game does irritate sweaty skin, but that's no issue if you're up and shaved at 8am (and lightly moisturized) and the game isn't till the evening, and even if it is, a light coating of vaseline around the throat while suiting up suppresses razor burn. Plus a couple guys have that perpetual Y. Ararafat two-days-growth look all the time, which begs the question of what kind of razor you use that leaves a quarter-inch of stubble. Or is it just zoomier TV camera lenses?

Hgh-def TV is also good for keeping track of how many times ballplayers touch themselves -- is that a take sign or is his supporter riding up on him? - and you can even lay bets on whether Derek dresses to the right or left.

You probably don't want to know about how often the pants and gloves and helmets and shoulder pads get washed.

If Per ever comes back to Cornell and does more Ten Questions columns for the Daily Sun, he could ask one of the players, Do you ever get used to the smell? Who's the worst on your team?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2004 01:06PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Plus a couple guys have that perpetual Y. Ararafat two-days-growth look all the time, which begs the question of what kind of razor you use that leaves a quarter-inch of stubble.[/q]Electric?

Posted by: puff (128.84.159.---)
Date: October 26, 2004 01:17PM

My sister always complained about this smell she termed "boy"... i never noticed it.

And yes, pads i think are probably the most vial smelling of all sports equipment. I played 4 years of football in highschool, the only time pads got washed were when we played in the rain.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 26, 2004 01:54PM

[q]You probably don't want to know about how often the pants and gloves and helmets and shoulder pads get washed. [/q]You mean you can wash hockey gear? :-D

I just always accepted the fact that when playing hockey you would stink. You get used to it. Especially when taking Intro Hockey and wearing the used PE gear.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 26, 2004 04:34PM

But then they took on a new smell known as "swamp" yark

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 26, 2004 07:58PM

Wow, I posted that? Shows what happens when I try to think early in the morning...no, I am intimately aware that male sports equipment inevitably smells like slow death. As nasty as guys can reek, I far prefer that to these well-groomed men whose smell is as carefully crafted (through the use of face wash, body wash, cologne, aftershave, hair "product," etc) as a Nike ad campaign. This is only one reason I should depart the NYC metro area for the wilds of Canada.

Pat "Holy Diver" Burrell is the poster boy for being able to tell about dressing to the right or left. He wears him some tiiiiiiiiight pants. I think what amazes me most about sports though, is how much athletes sweat. I've given hugs to victorious athlete friends before they've left the playing surface (or more accurately, before they've hit the locker rooms) and literally had to dry clean the sweater/suit/whatever I was wearing at the time because it was so nasty after.

Date: October 29, 2004 09:44AM

Looks like a different kind of red jersey at home this Saturday:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:04AM

It'd be cool to get one of those big 'C' jerseys, though I doubt I'll be able to afford it.

Posted by: puff (128.84.159.---)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:09AM

Hmm... gonna have to start saving my pennies for the next week

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:29AM

It will be interesting to see who they choose as the "best" player for particular numbers. I wonder if they'll do some sort of write-up weighing the merits of different players.

Date: October 29, 2004 11:02AM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:

It will be interesting to see who they choose as the "best" player for particular numbers. [/q]
Right. Not sure I'd want to be making the call on some of them.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 12:49PM

excellent idea. kind of like the team canada world cup unis.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:02PM

what's the guess on how much one of those c-jerseys would cost?

and i assume we're back to white at home in general though? having seen 4 years of games that way, it's jarring to think otherwise!

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:08PM

I would imagine that the Nieuwendyk's and Dryden's could very well go for over $1000.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:25PM

If Dryden and Nieuwendyk had worn them, maybe - but not just because they have the right name and number and another player wore them in a game. I wouldn't expect any of them to go for more than $500, particularly given that the bidding will be spread out (to an extent, anyway) over about thirty jerseys.

For the same reason, they'd probably be likely to get more money for each jersey by auctioning off two or three at each home game.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:25PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I would imagine that the Nieuwendyk's and Dryden's could very well go for over $1000.[/q]

Except that there's no #25 on the team this year...

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 01:27PM

how much do you thnk the lowest would go for?

i wonder if Bâby remains our best 21, assuming McLeod dresses

mike

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 02:32PM

Greg, your uniform number database needs to go past 1982! :-P

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 02:34PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

how much do you thnk the lowest would go for?

i wonder if Bâby remains our best 21, assuming McLeod dresses

mike[/q]
See, now this is where saying the names on the ice were the "best" gets hairy. Bâby was a terrific player and obviously was vital to the success of the '02-'03 team. But the best #21 I've seen was Brad Chartrand, captain of the '96 team. Those 2 players had different roles too. And that's not counting any other #21s from the previous 3 decades (Manderville also wore that #). I wonder who made the call as to the "best" player for each uni #. Coach? The team? Andy Noel?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2004 02:37PM by RichH.

Date: October 29, 2004 04:36PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
I wonder who made the call as to the "best" player for each uni #. Coach? The team? Andy Noel?
[/q]
Ned Harkness? popcorn

Sadly, I've forgotten most of the numbers from the sixties and early seventies, but I'm sure Jeff Kahn and Jim Hyla can help.

Doug Ferguson - 7
Dave Ferguson - 12
Mike Doran - 8
Harry Orr - 19
Skip Stanowski - 3
Dan Lodboa - 14
John Hughes - 21
Bruce Pattison - 21 (but 22 in 66-67 team picture)
Brian Cornell - 16 (and perhaps a different number, as well? 8?)
Murray Stephen - 9
Peter Tufford - 9
Brian McCutcheon - 9 (also have seen him pictured wearing 18)
Larry Fullan - 18
Kevin Pettit - 7 (and also maybe 10)
Lance Nethery - 6 (uh-oh, Doug)
Peter Shier - 5
Brock Tredway - 7

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2004 07:16PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 04:46PM

So "Dryden" (Chabot) will sit on the bench all night

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2004 05:08PM

Not to mention McKee will probably get stuck as "LeNeveu." Ouch.

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: October 29, 2004 10:21PM

I believe Brian McCutcheon wore #10 at one point
Gordie Lowe - 4
Ron Simpson - 2
Jim Higgs - 6 (not going to beat out Lance)

Date: October 29, 2004 11:24PM

[Q]redice Wrote:

I believe Brian McCutcheon wore #10 at one point
Gordie Lowe - 4
Ron Simpson - 2
Jim Higgs - 6 (not going to beat out Lance)

[/q]
McCutcheon wore 18 in 68-69 and 9 in 69-70. Don't know which number in 70-71.

According to the 03-04 Media Guide, John Hughes wore 10 as a sophomore, 20 as a junior, and 21 as a senior (69-70).

Kevin Pettit wore 10 in 68-69 and 7 in 69-70. Presume he kept 7 in 70-71.

Doug Ferguson and Brock Tredway were the only goal-a-game players, if I scanned the program guide correctly.

Posted by: jkahn (12.41.14.---)
Date: October 29, 2004 11:33PM

There was a fair amount of number changes in the late '60's -early '70's, as upperclassmen took numbers that became available when others had graduated.
Brian Cornell 16 sophomore year '66-'67, then 8 after Doran graduated
McCutcheon 18 as a soph '68-'69, then 9 after Tufford
John Hughes - 3 years 3 numbers, 10, 20, and finally 21
Kevin Pettit - 10 as a soph, then 7 (after McGuinn)
Bob McGuinn - 15 as a soph, then 7
Pattison wore 21 his sophomore year despite the fact that he may have had 22 in the team picture, which was posted above
The above is all from memory, as I'm out of town without old programs to consult, but for some reason I remember this kind of stuff way better than remembering where I put my car keys.

Posted by: jkahn (12.41.14.---)
Date: October 30, 2004 08:46AM

Al - just noticed that you posted some similar info just before me while I was reading this thread and responding. Where does one get a Media Guide? Sounds like it'saccurate and has some pretty good stuff.

Date: October 30, 2004 08:57AM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

Al - just noticed that you posted some similar info just before me while I was reading this thread and responding. Where does one get a Media Guide? Sounds like it'saccurate and has some pretty good stuff.[/q]
Mine came as if by magic through the mail, Jeff. Maybe because I made a donation to the hockey program?

You can also access it on-line through the Cornell hockey page at cornellbigred.com.

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 09:07AM

RIP's first Black Friday auction (with Black retro styled jerseys) was a success last year. Since the silent auction was done on poster boards the names of the bidders were obvious. Many were the players' parents and those were the bids that topped the $500 mark. I think the highest were over $1000. I was amazed at the $ amount and RIP was too in that they are repeating the auction this year on Friday 11-5.

The jerseys were somewhat ugly in that the black was (and is - as they show up at the rink at every game) a bit weird. The idea was great. I think the money went to the athletic department.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login