Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

If the Sox can do it, how about Cornell?

Posted by billhoward 
If the Sox can do it, how about Cornell?
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2004 07:42AM

OK, Boston hasn't won it all, not yet, but they've beaten their equivalent of Harvard and BU all rolled into one.

So maybe Cornell can take inspiration from this.

Let's hope Mike Schafer doesn't do anything boneheaded equal to letting Pedro pitch the seventh. Was that the ghost of Grady Little bringing in Pedro? Martinez is a genius, but on five days rest.

Re: If the Sox can do it, how about Cornell?
Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: October 21, 2004 09:03AM

What a depressing game. Pedro's appearance was the only highlight. What goes through Francoma's mind sometimes? He has the game virutally wrapped up, the crowd is dead, he only has to get through a couple innings, and he goes and makes the one move guaranteed to get the crowd back into it and potentially ignite the Yankees...and it almost worked. Wish we had some pitching, but I'm sure glad we don't have Francona.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: October 21, 2004 09:26AM

It's not like BU and Harvard have been preventing us from winning the NCAA (or even the ECAC title) for so many years. If anything, I'd say that recently UNH is more like our Yankees.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 21, 2004 09:29AM

[Q]Killer Wrote:
Wish we had some pitching, but I'm sure glad we don't have Francona.[/q]
So starting Kevin "Can-I-Punch-the-Wall-Again" Brown was a bright move by Torre, eh? banana

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2004 11:02AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
So starting Kevin "Can-I-Punch-the-Wall-Again" Brown was a bright move by Torre, eh?[/q]
On the one hand, hell no. On the other hand, who else was there? I can't say I'm surprised at the outcome. Disappointed, yes, but it's pretty hard to win a 7 game series with one pitcher. And that's only compounded by Boston's offense. Anyway, it's easy to point a finger at Joe, but was there a better choice?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cust.telepacific.net)
Date: October 21, 2004 11:32AM

What a glorious day for all of humanity.

That is all.

Date: October 21, 2004 11:53AM

Unfortunately, I don't think Torre had much in the way of options. Yes, there was Vazquez or maybe El Duque, but neither of them had much in the tank either. Hey, given the number of decent innings he got out of Loaiza, maybe that was his move for a starter.

Still, the Yankees forgot to show up last night, so regardless of who was pitching, they were in trouble. It's too bad that the one game that the Sox controlled from the start turned out to be Game 7. At least if that had come earlier and we could have swapped one of Games 4-6 into that spot, there would have been some drama. Can you imagine going 14 innings to decide it, on top of going 11 last year? Or put Clark back up as the winning run in the bottom of the 9th - he strikes out, you win; he connects, we win.

Hope to see you at Lynah East (and maybe Brown?), Al. Bring mussels.:-)

Date: October 21, 2004 12:05PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:
Hope to see you at Lynah East (and maybe Brown?), Al. Bring mussels. [/q]
I'm planning to be at both, Bob. Should also be at Brown this Saturday afternoon.

Date: October 21, 2004 12:26PM

I'm going to be in RI as well, but down in Wakefield. Might join the in-laws for a game at URI. I don't think I can sell a trip to Brown, but who knows?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 21, 2004 12:32PM

If Cornell beat Harvard in the semifinals of the ECAC tournament, we'd all be thrilled, but we'd also know that it wouldn't mean as much if we didn't win the final.

Same thing here. No curse lifted until they win the series.

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.rtp.epa.gov)
Date: October 21, 2004 12:55PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

At least if that had come earlier and we could have swapped one of Games 4-6 into that spot, there would have been some drama. Can you imagine going 14 innings to decide it, on top of going 11 last year? [/q]

I was plenty happy to coast through Game 7 in a cautiously optimistic zone, without the drama. the 2003 ECAC Championship and the BC game gave enough sports drama to last me 10 years.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: October 21, 2004 03:43PM

1. Cornell isn't cursed and isn't anything like the Red Sox. (If Cornell is like anybody, it's probably the Giants -- glorious history, some down years, now very solid but not quite there yet).
2. 34 years aint 86 years.
3. Cornell isn't UNH because Cornell has actually won it.:-D Twice.
4. It's only a matter of time.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: October 21, 2004 04:07PM

As a Yankee fan, I found the ALCS to be eerily and sadly similar to the ECAC quarter-finals this year. While everyone looks to assess blame for the losers and exalt the winners, we all should remember how there is often little difference between the two. Just one strike being called a ball in game 4 or 5 could have made the Yankees look like world beaters and the Sox look awful, and last year the Sox could have just as easily won it as lost it. Similarly, without an instant replay in Buffalo, or a different ruling on the review .....
But that's what makes us love sports - each game starts 0-0 and just about anything can happen.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 21, 2004 07:30PM

For the love of God, don't compare my beautiful alma mater to the Red Sox.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2004 07:43PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

For the love of God, don't compare my beautiful alma mater to the Red Sox. [/q]

Oh come on. This Red Sox team showed an incredible - and as it turned out, unprecedented - amount of heart, grit, determination and pride the last 4 days - intangibles that any team, including our hockey team, should aspire to have. Plus they sort of looked like hockey players do in the playoffs, with the beards and the hair and all that :-). But more importantly, they played as a TEAM and never gave up. Who wouldn't want our hockey team to be like that?

Date: October 21, 2004 08:09PM

(Imagine me speaking in a cool, even tone, because I am really not ranting)
Hockey players are much hotter in the playoffs than the Sox. The Yanks played like a team also -- it's not like they didn't have "heart." Just because Steinbrenner is a maniac who buys whatever shiniest new toy he can get his grubby paws on doesn't mean the guys aren't there to play. What I am so sick of are people who act as though the Sox are the anti-Yanks. They're two sides of the same coin. Yeah, the Yanks have the biggest payroll in baseball, but who's next? The Sox -- yes, I know it's by a wide margin, but it's not like the players are coaching little league to make ends meet -- and it would have been much higher had the A-Rod trade gone through. Furthermore, it's not like all these intangibles, the heart, the grit, the determination, are what carried them this far. The Sox are a talented team. They're not a ragtag bunch of lovable losers a la the Bad News Bears who gosh darn it found a way to win.

I'd rather have a hockey team like the Yankees. That way, we'd get a championship often enough so that the Faithful wouldn't start to whine in January about how much their team "sucked" (one of this board's more prolific poster's complaints last season) when they were at .500 or whatever. Also, if our hockey team was like the Yankees, at some point in college I probably would have been hit on awkwardly at afterhours by a guy who looked like Derek Jeter, and ain't nothin wrong with that.

Posted by: dsr11 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 22, 2004 09:00AM

Speaking of the Yankees having a heart, here's a good quote about Steinbrenner's boys this year:

The money is limitless, but what did it get Steinbrenner in 2004? For $184 million, the Yankees became the equivalent of a '70s-era gas guzzler -- huge and loud and impossible to ignore. But step on the pedal, as the Yankees did in Game 7, and there was nothing under the hood.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 09:35AM

I wonder what the odds are of a "Who's your daddy" chant at Lynah tonight? :-P

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 10:05AM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

I wonder what the odds are of a "Who's your daddy" chant at Lynah tonight? [/q]

Oh geez, I hope not. It was bad luck and way too hubristic for the Yankees fans.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 10:09AM

[Q]Will Wrote:
Oh geez, I hope not. It was bad luck and way too hubristic for the Yankees fans.[/q]But at least it was in some sort of context. At Lynah it'd just be nonsenical parroting (and parroting of Yankees fans at that... blech.)

Posted by: puff (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 01:52PM

maybe it'd work if the goalie is chased in the first

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 05:10PM

The Giants haven't won at all since moving to San Francisco from New York...a mini-"curse" if you will. Somewhere during my lifetime, in the years 1989 and 2002 one of the players must have stepped on the chalk while coming onto the field to start the World Series...
1962: SF Giants "fall inches short" - Yankees win World Series in game 7, 1-0.

1989: The Giants lose to cross-bay rivals Oakland A's and during which, the hand of God shaking the field literally with the largest earthquake since 1906.
2002: Stupid "rally monkey." The Angels fought, I'll give them that.

Well, I won't consider it a full-fledged curse, and most of this is probably falling on deaf ears...I'm from the wrong side of the country. Besides loving the Giants, I love baseball, and as much as Red Sox and Yankees fans yell each other, the teams put on a good show...fun to watch and always something new, or not - adding to the drama. Here's to an amazing World Series.

Cardinals have a chance to become the second most dominant dynasty in baseball, having already "quietly" claimed 9 championships (tied with the A's), and the Red Sox have a chance to fix their own history...and this isn't the first time the Sox and Cards will meet: there was 1967 (which wasn't a bad year for Cornell hockey) and 1946 (2-0 St. Louis). There should be a class exclusively about baseball here - someone tell me there is.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2004 05:11PM by Ack.

Date: October 22, 2004 05:35PM

[Q]Ack Wrote:
...I'm from the wrong side of the country. Besides loving the Giants, I love baseball...[/q]
I love 'em, too, Ack. Since Bobby Thomson's "shot." That 7-run ninth at Dodger Stadium was clearly the work of a curse. Blame it all on the greed of Walter O'Malley. :`(

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 06:46PM

[Q]Ack Wrote:
There should be a class exclusively about baseball here - someone tell me there is.
[/q]

Okay.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2004 06:49PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

KP '06 Wrote:

I wonder what the odds are of a "Who's your daddy" chant at Lynah tonight? [/Q]
Oh geez, I hope not. It was bad luck and way too hubristic for the Yankees fans.[/q]

Hey guys! Scooter here with a tip for all you fans! Chanting "Who's your daddy" isn't so intimidating when your team is down by 7!

Date: October 22, 2004 06:55PM

jersey,

actually, they are a rag tag bunch of lovable (postseason) losers. They're just well paid. Besides, you're allowed to overspend when you haven't won in 86 years. You're not when you've won nearly half the WS in the last decade and been in 8 (7?) of them.

Oh, and the ARod thing is a fallacy, remember Manny was going to go to Texas in that trade, so the salary jump wouldn't have been as huge as you imply.

hackgagcoughwheez...

oops, sorry about that, I nearly choked ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2004 06:58PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: October 22, 2004 07:39PM

Why is it a choke and not a comeback? Really, give Boston some credit. If Theo Epstein was spending all that money and not turning out to be a big market Billy Beane, I would hope John Henry would have whupped that ass a long time ago. Boston was SUPPOSED to be good this year. Everyone knew they were good. Yeah, they were "lovable" losers in the post season the past couple of years. But each time, Theo saw what went wrong and fine-tuned that part of the team. Then they got better. And anyone who thought the Yanks had every tool (no pun intended) in place to win a championship this year was incredibly short-sighted. No reliable left-hander on the mound? Come on now. They were so shaky that when I was at the stadium with my mother early in the season and they were throwing big fat grapefruits across the plate, my mother actually gripped my arm as if to stop me from trying to get onto the field when I said something to the effect of, "Gee darnit, I could throw a couple of innings and have a lower ERA." I just hope that after the Kevin Brown wall punching incident, George comes to his senses and realizes the locker room is only big enough for so much ego and gets some fresh blood in there. I'm not holding my breath.

Steinbrenner, psychopath that he is, can overspend to his heart's desire. Is it sportsmanlike? No. But as long as he has the money, he can do whatever he wants. Likewise, is Geno Auriemma supposed to encourage the best high school prospects to go to second tier baskeball schools in the spirit of encouraging more parity in women's athletics? No. It's a competition. Those in athletics are going to do whatever the rules allow to make their team win. If Steinbrenner wants to keep paying a luxury tax, let him. It's his money.

You'll notice that in my defense of my team, I'm not resorting to insult or mockery, except of the owner, but I feel like that's fact, not opinion. There are enough a-hole Yankees fans (and Sox fans) to go around, and I certainly won't be one of them. I'll defend my team, of which I have been a fan ever since Derek Jeter was still a skinny, mullet sporting, high schooler, because I am a fan, and a good fan stands by her team. For the record, though, can we please, please, all agree on one thing, and that is he or she who jumps on the Sox bandwagon now is subject to the same disdain as were those who started saying, "Oh, I'm a Yankees fan" around 1996?

Date: October 22, 2004 07:51PM

Wow, give the Red Sox some credit? That's the first time I've ever heard a Yankees fan mutter those words. 11th inning of game 7 of the ALCS last year, and they got absolutely no credit for anything from Yankees fans I know.

The fact if, you don't have a 3-0 comeback for the first time in MLB history without both a collapse and a major run.

And the final truth is, if 90% of Yanks fans (not all, no) weren't so obnoxious, condescending, and spoiled in triumph, then you wouldn't have to put up with this now. Yankees fans can dish it out, but they sure don't seem to be able to take it this week.

Date: October 22, 2004 08:37PM

By the way, I was a bit busy, so I didn't respond to the rest of it. But I do agree with you. You seem reasonable and I'll take your word for it that you aren't obnoxious when they win. Obviously no one likes Steinbrenner, but you summed up my complain exactly - totally unsportsmanlike. Sure, Bill Gates COULD go around and buy out the local homeless shelter to turn a profit on it, but I wouldn't have to like him for it (extreme example, yes, but the point of the haves having their way with the have-nots (no, I do not include the Sox amoung the have nots).

Hmmm, unsportsmanlike? Kinda like ARod I guess. Kindred souls perhaps.

Which is the perfect example. Yanks fans give a whole lotts $h!t, and had ARod gotten away with that cheat, and the Yanks had gone on to win in 6, I woulda heard so many times about how the Red Sox suck and blahblahblahcurseblahblah.

I believe ya, Jersey girl, but its funny how all the Yankees fans turn into good Yankees fans when they lose. And when they win, its all "the Sox shouldn't even bother trying, we all knew how it was gonna end."

Oh, and yes, jumping on a Sox bandwagon isn't any better, although perhaps slightly less evil. Although I *did* just move to Boston 2 months ago, so if listening to Boston sports talk every day and hearing people talking about the Sox at work has increased me from "active router" to "fan", I think its extenuating circumstances ;).

Date: October 22, 2004 08:38PM

Hey, I actually happen to like Johnny Damon in general -- I'd like him a lot more if he wore a different outfit to work every day. Maybe you should get to know better Yankees fans. And while we're giving the Red Sox credit, let's admit that their fans are obnoxious too. It wasn't a Yankees fan who kept throwing peanuts at my friend David at a game last year until he stood up and told him that if he was going to behave like that, he should go back to his mother's cage. And while the Yankees fans delayed game 6 by throwing crap on the field, they weren't the ones at Fenway throwing back the Yankees-hit ball that Unfrozen Caveman tried to get rid of by tossing into the stands.

The reason the non a-hole Yankees fans find the victory so hard to take is not only because its spoils are being enjoyed by our version of the Harvard hockey team, but also because Sox fans apparently don't seem to see anything annoying or obnoxious about their behavior. And I am not solely talking about the ALCS gloating. It's the whining all year long, the derision of A-Rod, the questioning of Jeter's sexuality, etc. Yeah, I'll call Pedro a nutjob (and no, he is NOT welcome by me in the Bronx next year), but that's because last year he hit Derek and Jorge in succession and pointed to his head when Jorge was jawing at him from the dugout. But I wouldn't dream of personally disliking someone because of the uniform they wear (and yes, I know some Yankees fans would). FWIW, there are plenty of non-Red Sox players for whom I have no great love. And some non-Yankees for whom I do (rrrrrrr, Chase Utley, who is not only attractive but a great prospect who hustles his buns off on every play)

BTW, where's my hell yeah for the bandwagon comment? Do you really want these fans, who will be easy to spot because they have Red Sox jerseys with their own last name on the backs? The women will be the ones in pink knit hats with the Bosox logo on it. I'm calling this now.

Date: October 22, 2004 08:53PM

And for the record, I have mixed feelings about A-Rod being a Yankee, even though he was really nice when I blatently checked him out and gave him a "how you doin'?" on E. 82nd before I realized he was, in fact, A-Rod. It was totally obnoxious of me. Anyway, my point is that he wanted to be in Boston.

But if I were on my way to first and there were two guys on the basepath trying to get me out, I have to say I would have swatted the hell out of them too. Yeah, it was a blatent swat, but they should have just had the ball, not their bodies, in the way. Both of them screwed up, advantage goes to the runner.

Unsurprisingly I could go on all night, but I should probably get away from this board and have a life...

Date: October 22, 2004 08:53PM

My hell yeah for your bandwagon comment was delayed ;).

Btw, my friends can be very nice people otherwise. Something about being a Yankees fan just does that to many people.

I will bring up a point of contention though... you bash Damon's hair and then are mad at Sox fans who deride Arod (new name: Slappy) and Jeter for non-baseball related things!?! You can take either side on that one - its all in good fun, or its mean (college hockey fans would tend to go for #1), but you can't do both at once. Its not all in good fun against the Sox, but inappropriate against the Yanks - ya gotta admit, I got ya there ;).

So yes, Damon's a caveman/jesus/bigfoot and Pedro's a head hunter (so was/is Clemens)... and ARod's a spoiled cheater and Jeter is a pretty boy. All sounds fair to me.

Yes, sure, there are plenty of aholes on both sides. Unfortunately, by now, its a Middle-East-conflict thing, where no one knows who started it. One things for sure though, in the last 9 seasons, Yankees fans has plenty of chances to show good sportsmanship in triumph, and by-in-large failed miserably. So I really can't say that I blame the people on the receiving end of that for so long, for striking back when they finally have a chance? I don't blame your friend David for acting back to that guy, in the same way you can't blame Sox fans after they've been on the receiving end of that for 86 years (well, at least a decade, take your pick).

What your calling may happen if they win the series. But if the ALCS decreases the Yankee bandwagon-ism, that's good enough ;)

P.S. There's nothing wrong with throwing a ball back. In some places (Wrigley) its a tradition. Although, that ball made it out of the park, so some fan on Landsdowne Street had one hell of an arm.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2004 08:55PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: October 22, 2004 08:56PM

I wasn't the one who made up the Unfrozen Caveman nickname. I believe that was Bill Simmons, ESPN's the Sports Guy, who is a huuuuuuuuuge Sox fan.

Date: October 22, 2004 08:59PM

never said you made it up, but it sure wasn't meant as a compliment :-)

Date: October 22, 2004 09:16PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

Hey, I actually happen to like Johnny Damon in general....[/q]

Date: October 22, 2004 10:05PM

[Q]puff Wrote:
maybe it'd work if the goalie is chased in the first[/q]"Who's your daddy" "worked", IMO, because Pedro said the Yanks were his daddy. I have yet to hear an opposing goaltender say the same. *shrug*

Date: October 22, 2004 10:08PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:
I'll defend my team, of which I have been a fan ever since Derek Jeter was still a skinny, mullet sporting, high schooler...[/q]Jeter had a mullet? Is he canadian and we never realized it? screwy :-P

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2004 11:03PM

I'm a diehard sx fanand refer to Damon exclusively as Captain Caveman, referencing the fine animated character. I was deeply impressed with my friends who cheer for the Yanks. Two called me and graciously extended congrats. And I, despite WAY TOO MUCH tequila, was able to respond somewhat maturely back. This is the greatest rivalry in pro sports and is a lot of fun. Both teams have idiots (Petie going after heads and making dumb comments, A-Rod slap), both have hitters you totally fear (Matsui, Manny, Papi, Giambi as long as he is on the Roids, Jeter). This is hopefully the fun of it all. All else being said, Yanks fans finally fully understand what it feels like to be a Sox fan....

Re: understanding Sox fans...
Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2004 12:00AM

Uh, no actually, we don't and never will....lol. Unless one happens to also be a Rangers' fan! :-D

Date: October 23, 2004 12:30AM

[Q]jbeaber1998 Wrote:

I'm a diehard sx fanand refer to Damon exclusively as Captain Caveman, referencing the fine animated character. I was deeply impressed with my friends who cheer for the Yanks. Two called me and graciously extended congrats. And I, despite WAY TOO MUCH tequila, was able to respond somewhat maturely back. This is the greatest rivalry in pro sports and is a lot of fun. Both teams have idiots (Petie going after heads and making dumb comments, A-Rod slap), both have hitters you totally fear (Matsui, Manny, Papi, Giambi as long as he is on the Roids, Jeter). This is hopefully the fun of it all. All else being said, Yanks fans finally fully understand what it feels like to be a Sox fan....
[/q]
I wish I felt this was true. Yankees fans are always gracious in defeat, and then next time they win, they're right back to arrogant jerks (again, most). They were gracious about losing to the DBacks, the Angle, the Marlins... but all summer it was "I don't know why the Red Sox even bother, we all know how it'll end."

Maybe the greatest collapse/comeback in the history of baseball will change things, but I won't believe it 'til I see it. Maybe I'll see it, maybe not ;).

Posted by: billhoward (209.172.91.---)
Date: October 23, 2004 10:58AM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:
But that's what makes us love sports - each game starts 0-0 and just about anything can happen.[/q]

This suggests the makings of a natural-born TV announcer: This ability to realize and expound on the natural patterns of sports hidden too far beneath the surface for others to capture and appreciate.

Date: October 23, 2004 11:44AM

[Q] billhoward wrote:
[Q]jkahn Wrote:
But that's what makes us love sports - each game starts 0-0 and just about anything can happen.[/Q]

This suggests the makings of a natural-born TV announcer: This ability to realize and expound on the natural patterns of sports hidden too far beneath the surface for others to capture and appreciate.[/Q]

I actually wanted to do Cornell hockey play-by-play at the beginning of my freshman year. I walked into VBR and asked about it, but WCHU had the contract and a long-time entrenched announcer, Sam Woodside. I did do sports and news for one night a week on VBR in '66-'67, but my style was getting the facts out there, rather than expounding.

Date: October 24, 2004 10:52AM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

billhoward wrote:
jkahn Wrote:
But that's what makes us love sports - each game starts 0-0 and just about anything can happen.[/Q]
This suggests the makings of a natural-born TV announcer: This ability to realize and expound on the natural patterns of sports hidden too far beneath the surface for others to capture and appreciate.[/Q]
I actually wanted to do Cornell hockey play-by-play at the beginning of my freshman year. I walked into VBR and asked about it, but WCHU had the contract and a long-time entrenched announcer, Sam Woodside. I did do sports and news for one night a week on VBR in '66-'67, but my style was getting the facts out there, rather than expounding.[/q]

If you were competing against Sam Woodside, whew! Now there was a legend of a special sort. One of the charms of small town sports is the authenticity and color and occasioal malapropisms of the announcers and sportswriters: decent guys who are overworked and underpaid and you love them for their foibles as well as everything else.Same for the print writers. Remember the Dan Jenkins novel about small-town sportswriting in the 1930s? It rang true a lifetime later when it came out. And you must have crossed the path of Jay Levine before he headed off for Philadelphia and the big time (and whatever became of him?). That was the last gasp of Cornell's being in the big time, getting major writers to come see Marinaro play football, getting a banner across the top of the sports page when he broke the rushing record.

To bring the conversation full circle to Boston again, another huge change in sports has been the quality of newspaper sports section and sportswritng and coverage. Competititon from TV, later deadlines, faster transmission of stories back to the paper, digital photography the last decade, it's all vastly better, or has the ability to be better. And -- sorry, Yankees fans -- the paper that epitomized the change was the Globe of the 1970s and 1980s. Peter Gammons, Bob Ryan, Ray Fitzgerald (RIP), Dan Shaughnessy, Lesley Visser, Leigh Montville, Fran Rosa (sports editor), that was a murderers row that never got traded to New York. They made you delight in the sports page. The Globe's brilliance at the time was such a contrast to the neanderthal pennings that marked Dick Young of the Daily News (uppity blacks and players looking for a decent salary were not to his liking) and the NY Times must then and now have a banner in the department that reads, "Gravitas uberalles." Today, the Times is shocked, shocked by the quasi-professionalism of college athletics and the bumblings of the Olympic Committee.

There was no finer treat than Bob Ryan's Globe column the day after a Celtics - Lakers game. I had dinner a couple months ago with Lesley Visser (well, I was at the same table at a charity event with her, three others, and Boomer Esiason). The woman is the same age is me, I saw her last at an awards banquet in 1979, and she is essentially unchanged. I was in love then and now. (She also tells stories as good or better than Boomer.) Sheesh, now there's one person who stays in shape. Like many others who made the switch to TV, you can't begrudge them the money, but when you're reduced from writing with passion and intelligence to being a looker on the sideline sticking a mike in someone's face, I don't think you can show off the range of your talents.

Date: October 24, 2004 11:14AM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

billhoward wrote:
jkahn Wrote:
I actually wanted to do Cornell hockey play-by-play at the beginning of my freshman year. I walked into VBR and asked about it, but WCHU had the contract and a long-time entrenched announcer, Sam Woodside. I did do sports and news for one night a week on VBR in '66-'67, but my style was getting the facts out there, rather than expounding.[/q]

Sam Woodside is a classic example of the colorful characters who are part of a small town sports scene, him and Kenny Van Sickle of the Ithaca Journal. Because you love the team, you come to love a person like Sam, malapropisms and all. That was also the era of Jay Levine, a young WHCU charger who moved on to Philadelphia and the big time (and where did he go from there?). 'VBR was a training ground for a lot of broadcast and media professionals. Mark Liff I recall, also. The nice thign about WVBR over my Cornell Daily Sun is radio forces you to keep it short, and that's an important tool for all forms of media once you're out and looking for work.

Date: October 24, 2004 11:40AM

Announcers and sportswriters are such boneheads. The odds of a comeback from a 3-0 deficit are one in sixteen if the two teams are equal - one in two for each game - 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2. Most teams that got into 3-0 deficts are not the equal of the team that got them in that condition, either unequals in general, or unequals at that time because of, say, injuries to key players.

Of course, if Fox Sports brought on a statistician to explain to the fans, it wouldn't be so good for ratings.

Date: October 24, 2004 12:24PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

For the record, though, can we please, please, all agree on one thing, and that is he or she who jumps on the Sox bandwagon now is subject to the same disdain as were those who started saying, "Oh, I'm a Yankees fan" around 1996?[/q]

Okay, so there were some inattentive young-Martha Stewart lookalikes in the stands at Feway who appeared not to have been at this Red Sox Nation thing a long time. Maybe their orthodontists had extra tickets. I saw no pink caps with B on them, but a couple white caps which is borderline sacreligious. (Maybe white shows off your tan better.) The husband of my old girlfriend made up and sold about 100 classic-Blue sox caps where the B is outlined in fiber optic strands and the B can be lit up at night. It is very garish but also useful for ribbing Yankee fans so long as you know there's a cop standing by to protect you from the savages.

There are also many Sox fans going back to the hopeful yet futile days of Rice, Lynn, Yaz, Fisk, Tiant, and spaceman Bill Lee. True Sox fans are still waiting for Carlton Fisk to return from Chicago. Their numbers are not small and they have equally hopeful relatives living in Chicago rooting for the dream series that never happened in 2003.

Also at Fenway, there were some bundled-up-against-Arctic-breezes fans who clearly were fans and not there to see and be seen. Fox had a great closeup of one who was applauding as a Bomber went down on strikes late in game five. While the camera was still on her, in all her innocence and savagery, she turned to a friend and put both hands to her own throat in the classic choking motion. That was great camera work. Even better than playing Manny Ramirez' misplaced flyball over and over at the inning break with "Oh, What a Lonely Boy" as background. Manny could well be the next Bill Buckner. Manny better hope the postseason doesn't count toward the Golden Glove.

Joe E. Brown said it best a lifetime ago: "Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for U.S. Steel."

New York fans can still look forward to the Ranger and Knicks. Okay, the Knicks. And the Patriots are due to lose sometime.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2004 01:06PM

The A-Rod slap wasn't a stupid play at all. He was about to get tagged out anyways, so you might wanna try anything you can to get on base. He did, and it very nearly worked.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2004 01:29PM

not even taking the down-the-road implications into effect, the "a-rod slap" was stupid even if he was about to get tagged out. as it played out, the umps made all the right calls and jeter ended up back on first. had a-rod let himself be tagged out, jeter would've ended up on second and in scoring position.

of course, the yankees ended up making the third out on the next play, and there are a million other "what if" ponderances to make, all useless. but you can't even argue that a-rod made the sensible "good of the team" play because of what it did to jeter's placement. not that a-rod had time to think about the possible outcomes of his actions while running, but maybe that's another reason most players generally follow the rules instead of gambling on them (outcomes are more quickly and easily predicted).

Date: October 24, 2004 01:42PM

[Q]billhoward wrote:
Jay Levine, a young WHCU charger who moved on to Philadelphia and the big time (and where did he go from there?).[/Q]
Jay's been a news reporter and sometimes anchor in Chicago for the last 20 years or so. I think he did play-by-play for one season, '69-'70, right after Sam Woodside retired. Although I didn't hear him often, as I went to about 22 of the 29 games, in my mind I still hear him saying "Lodboa shots, he scores!."

Date: October 24, 2004 02:41PM

Forget about the strategy behind the move (or the potential lack thereof). A-Rod made an illegal move, as explicitly stated in the rules. The umps made the right call by upholding the rules. An illegal move shouldn't be defended.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: October 24, 2004 05:29PM

[Q]Will Wrote:
An illegal move shouldn't be defended.[/q]You mean you've never called something a "good penalty" during the hockey game? Like if you take down Dominic Moore (or the equivalent) when he's wide open in the slot?

Date: October 24, 2004 07:24PM

Something you may not have seen since the play happened so fast :-) :

Joking aside though, I can't believe people are actually defending A-rod, especially when I've had to hear for years in an ironically condescending tone about how the Yankees and their fans are the epitome of class and integrity. There's a reason his own dugout was ice cold to him after that play and a reason why much of the talk on NY sports radio after the series was about what it means to be a true Yankee (see: Torre, Jeter, Rivera). I may not like them because they happen to wear pinstripes, but I'm confident in saying that guys like Jeter and Bernie would never stoop to trying something so astonishingly ridiculous.

And in hockey, you take down a player who's wide open in the slot KNOWING you'll end up in the penalty box. You're still going to give the other team a chance to score in a PP situation. The way hockey is played, such a move is not considered childish. On the other hand, slapping at a baseball glove to avoid being tagged is most certainly not considered the right way to play baseball. That being said, A-Rod's a good (great) player, and I'd hope he wouldn't do anything like that again.

It's also a shame that we're even still talking about this "controversial" play. The really memorable thing for me about Game 6 was Schilling giving the most awe-inspiring pitching performance I've ever seen (probably ranking up there with Jack Morris in 1991, which I did not personally see).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2004 07:26PM by Avash '05.

Date: October 24, 2004 09:30PM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

The really memorable thing for me about Game 6 was Schilling giving the most awe-inspiring pitching performance I've ever seen (probably ranking up there with Jack Morris in 1991, which I did not personally see).
[/q]

I think that's the one thing that we can all agree on with regard to this series.

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2004 12:35AM

Baseball can be played by the numbers (I'm an engineer - I'll probably marry a number), but who or what number can explain the intangibles as spirit, shear will power, desperation, and where's the factoid on who crosses their team's bats on accident...who tied their shoelaces backwards, who knocked on wood an odd number of times, who stepped on the chalk coming on or off the field...?

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.stmnca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 25, 2004 03:28AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Manny better hope the postseason doesn't count toward the Golden Glove.[/q]

Manny's not winning any fielding awards in this lifetime, unless you want to give him something for the incredible and inexplicable diving catch he made this summer on a Johnny Damon throw from center field, giving the Orioles' David Newhan (son of another excellent sportswriter) an inside-the-park homer.

Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: October 25, 2004 04:12PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

The reason the non a-hole Yankees fans find the victory so hard to take is not only because its spoils are being enjoyed by our version of the Harvard hockey team, but also because Sox fans apparently don't seem to see anything annoying or obnoxious about their behavior.[/q]
You've got us on the whining, but I've got to take you to task on the annoying behavior after the win. First of all, it was our first win of any significance over the Yankees since... ever. Forgive us if we enjoy it a little bit. For me personally, it was more about going to the World Series than beating the Yankees, although that was a nice side benefit :-D .

Second of all, as someone who sat in Yankee Stadium for Game Seven last year and had to endure countless 1918 chants, having Bâby Ruth bars thrown at me, and a grown man dressed like Don Mattingly (facial hair and all) carrying his infant child out of the stadium afterwards swearing at me and screaming "What a great day to be a Yankee fan!" like the overly-self-important-because-he-grew-up-near-New-York-city degenerate that he is... I think we deserve a little time to gloat. Yankee fans have been trying to make Red Sox fans feel unimportant for decades - now that we have the opportunity, it's about time we return the favor.

I consider several Yankee fans to be close friends, and I haven't talked to any of them since The Comeback, because if the shoe was on the other foot, I know I wouldn't want to talk to them. I know most Sox fans aren't like that, but Yankee fans complaining about obnoxious Red Sox fans who are "bad winners" - I know these aren't your words, but I'm generalizing - don't have a leg to stand on.

Date: October 25, 2004 04:42PM

[Q]gtsully Wrote:

Jerseygirl Wrote:

The reason the non a-hole Yankees fans find the victory so hard to take is not only because its spoils are being enjoyed by our version of the Harvard hockey team, but also because Sox fans apparently don't seem to see anything annoying or obnoxious about their behavior.[/Q]
You've got us on the whining, but I've got to take you to task on the annoying behavior after the win. First of all, it was our first win of any significance over the Yankees since... ever. Forgive us if we enjoy it a little bit. For me personally, it was more about going to the World Series than beating the Yankees, although that was a nice side benefit .

Second of all, as someone who sat in Yankee Stadium for Game Seven last year and had to endure countless 1918 chants, having Bâby Ruth bars thrown at me, and a grown man dressed like Don Mattingly (facial hair and all) carrying his infant child out of the stadium afterwards swearing at me and screaming "What a great day to be a Yankee fan!" like the overly-self-important-because-he-grew-up-near-New-York-city degenerate that he is... I think we deserve a little time to gloat. Yankee fans have been trying to make Red Sox fans feel unimportant for decades - now that we have the opportunity, it's about time we return the favor.

I consider several Yankee fans to be close friends, and I haven't talked to any of them since The Comeback, because if the shoe was on the other foot, I know I wouldn't want to talk to them. I know most Sox fans aren't like that, but Yankee fans complaining about obnoxious Red Sox fans who are "bad winners" - I know these aren't your words, but I'm generalizing - don't have a leg to stand on.[/q]

Semi-random thought: Are you the Sox fan "Sully" whom the Sports Guy on espn.com refers to occasionally? :-)

Date: October 25, 2004 05:17PM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:
Semi-random thought: Are you the Sox fan "Sully" whom the Sports Guy on espn.com refers to occasionally?
[/q]

No... there are plenty of Sullivans in Boston. Everyone out here probably knows one or two...

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 25, 2004 06:09PM

[Q]gtsully Wrote:

...having Bâby Ruth bars thrown at me...[/q]

They have Bâby Ruth bars? Sweet!!!

:-P
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2004 06:10PM by Robb.

Date: October 25, 2004 07:11PM

First, I was referring to Red Sox fan behavior in general after a win, even though I admittedly didn't express that clearly. If you guys didn't beat your chests a little after winning the pennant over a team that has performed significantly better than your team throughout the course of history, I'd be hesitant to call you fans at all.

Second, of course there are more a-hole Yankees fans than there are a-hole Red Sox fans. The Yanks are the NYC baseball team that it's cool to like, and New York is a bigger city than Boston, plus they have fans like me from west of the Connecticut River, plus oh good the crazy guy who leers at me is outside of my apartment picking through the trash for cans which means I can't go out to pick up my laundry from the cleaners lest I inadvertently attract his attention...sorry, lost my train of thought. Anyway, I'm sure there's some way of proving my theory, but it involves statistical analysis of some sort and I'm about as right-brained as they come, so I won't personally be responsible for proving my point through the magic of math.

Third, speaking of ESPN.com's sports guy Bill Simmons, he used to be my favorite -- even through this harrowing ALCS -- until he went off on that question during the chat from that woman about the year "2000" chant, where he was all like, "Since you're a girl, I'll speak slowly," or something like that. I'm too lazy to link. Screw you Bill. Of course matters aren't helped when Page 2 doesn't have any legitimate female sports columnists, but still, his whole female bashing is ridiculous and relentless. Mocking my team I can take. My gender, no.

Fourth, speaking of the "Year 2000" chant, I really don't think it will have the desired effect. After all, the Yanks are really only a little off their pace of 1 championship every 4 years. I know that's not an exact figure, but you know. I'm right brained and all.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2004 08:27PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

And the Patriots are due to lose sometime. [/q]

Yeah, maybe to Philly in January....

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 25, 2004 11:45PM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
Manny better hope the postseason doesn't count toward the Golden Glove.[/Q]
Manny's not winning any fielding awards in this lifetime, unless you want to give him something for the incredible and inexplicable diving catch he made this summer on a Johnny Damon throw from center field, giving the Orioles' David Newhan (son of another excellent sportswriter) an inside-the-park homer.[/q]

I think the original poster was speaking tongue in cheek about Manny's prowess.

Date: October 26, 2004 12:42AM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:
>>> plus oh good [sic?] the crazy guy who leers at me is outside of my apartment picking through the trash for cans which means I can't go out to pick up my laundry from the cleaners lest I inadvertently attract his attention...sorry, lost my train of thought. [/q]

This is good training for married life when one repatriates from Hoboken or lower Manhattan back to Upper Saddle River and your trash cans are being rifled by ... raccoons. At least then you have more choices: Have-A-Heart traps or poison bait. I don't think when the can-rattler is two legged that you're allowed to pour arsenic and saltpeter in your half-drunk cans of Tab no matter how bad the guy smells. It might calm down an overly frisky blind date. Those are the tips you never find in Cosmo -- and they fancy themselves a public service magazine.

Date: October 26, 2004 12:47AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:

The really memorable thing for me about Game 6 was Schilling giving the most awe-inspiring pitching performance I've ever seen (probably ranking up there with Jack Morris in 1991, which I did not personally see).
[/Q]
I think that's the one thing that we can all agree on with regard to this series.[/q]

Pedro's inning of [comic] relief in game six was equally memorable. It was actually a sporting gesture on Francona's part, giving the Yankees something to unit behind and to ("Who's Your Daddy!";) cheer about.

Date: October 26, 2004 01:13AM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:
I'd rather have a hockey team like the Yankees. That way, we'd get a championship often enough so that the Faithful wouldn't start to whine in January about how much their team "sucked" (one of this board's more prolific poster's complaints last season) when they were at .500 or whatever. Also, if our hockey team was like the Yankees, at some point in college I probably would have been hit on awkwardly at afterhours by a guy who looked like Derek Jeter, and ain't nothin wrong with that.[/q]

And you'd be wanting the Lynah Faithful to hear Ronan Tynan come out before the third period of *every* freakin' game and sing God Bless America? Ronan was dressed like he was going off on a polar expedition and he stayed out there almost as long as Admiral Byrd took to get all the way south. (As opposed to ex-commissioner Bowie Kuhn who used to wear only a suitcoat in 40 degree weather to suggest it was just another balmy November night for baseball.)

The Sox showed much more class calling in Kelly Clarkson because she was, well, um, let's see, how was she better than Ronan -- maybe it was the subte use of just enough layers of therma-cote eye shadow to make sure Kelly's eyelids suffered no frostbite? Maybe the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem weren't available. I would sooner have heard Tommy James and the Shondells reprise "Dirty Water."

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 26, 2004 06:27AM

[q]The Yanks are the NYC baseball team that it's cool to like[/q]

Perhaps not surprisingly, only Yankee fans believe that. The rest of us know that the Yanks are the NYC baseball team that it's easy and conformist to like. If they started really underperforming their payroll instead of just not winning championships, you'd suddenly see a lot fewer caps, and hear an awful lot of people claiming things like, "Oh, I was really just a Jeter fan, and now he's retired," or "I outgrew baseball." :-D

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2004 06:28AM by Beeeej.

Date: October 26, 2004 07:03AM

Dude, Beeeej, anything I do is cool, not easy and conformist. Ok, maybe just not conformist.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 26, 2004 08:21AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

And the Patriots are due to lose sometime. [/Q]
Yeah, maybe to Philly in January....[/q]

From your mouth to God's ears. Go Iggles!

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: October 26, 2004 10:39AM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:
oh good the crazy guy who leers at me is outside of my apartment picking through the trash for cans which means I can't go out to pick up my laundry from the cleaners lest I inadvertently attract his attention...sorry, lost my train of thought. [/q]

JG-

Mebbe he's really there to leer at the 13 year old brat across the street with the man boobs bigger than most playmates... ;)

Date: October 26, 2004 02:38PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

Fourth, speaking of the "Year 2000" chant, I really don't think it will have the desired effect. After all, the Yanks are really only a little off their pace of 1 championship every 4 years.[/q]

That has nothing to do with it. The driving force behind that chant would be "Yankee fans have been annoying as hell with that 1918 chant for the last ten years or so, so we're going to give it back to them as often as possible, no matter how petty/insecure it seems."

You have no idea how annoying that chant is, especially when you hear it roughly 1,000 times a season. Our only goal with a chant like that would be to annoy the bejesus out of Yankee fans, possibly to the point of physical voilence. twak

Now, hopefully (knocking on wood), we actually get the chance to use it next year... worry

Date: October 26, 2004 03:13PM

Well, you're not there yet, so there's still hope that the curse will win out. And if you do manage to pull it off, don't be surprised next year to hear "2090...2090...2090". Yep, that would be the next time you'd be expected to win it all. You know, that 86-year cycle. Dang, Halley's Comet would still come around more often than a Sox WS win.

Date: October 27, 2004 01:34AM

Now I'm sorry I brought this up.

Date: October 27, 2004 07:57AM

[Q]gtsully Wrote:
possibly to the point of physical voilence.

[/q]

because that's what Red Sox fans need to do, incite more physical violence... rolleyes

Date: October 27, 2004 11:36AM

There is no curse. Get over it.

Date: October 27, 2004 12:43PM

Nice try. But it's not the Yankee fans who have to get over the curse. It's the Sox. Maybe they'll break it this year. Sure looks good for them right now. But like I said, I'll accept them winning once every 86 years.

Date: October 28, 2004 12:02AM

To paraphrase one of my favorite films, the miracle was made complete tonight. Congratulations Red Sox!

Posted by: billhoward (---.wstb.lax.wayport.net)
Date: October 28, 2004 12:34AM

OK, now the Sox *have* beaten our equivalent of Harvard, BU, UNH, Maine and Colorado College and gone on to win the finals also.

I'm hoping when Cornell does win it all in the, what, 2006 Frozen Four, our guys don't spend their first victorious minutes on-air praising the Big Guy Upstairs for coming to their aid. Like God roots for the Red Sox Nation and against the Cardinals.

Also interesting to see the satellite-cam shots of cheering troops in Iraq being labeled "multinational forces." Thank you, Fox for pushing politics into sports. Like the eighty Brits and four Ozzies posted there, assuming they were actually in the pictures, give a rap about baseball.

I watched the last twelve outs in a hotel bar in downtown LA and at game's end one of the Red Sox fans jumped in the Westin's reflecting pool. The assistant manager comes running out and says that's not acceptable practice. Sheesh. The rest of the bar, even the neutral observers (not many) said the guy's entitled after 86 years.

If there were St. Louis fans in California this week, they kept to themselves.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: October 28, 2004 12:38AM

As the first horseman of the apocalypse rides, the Red Sox still suck.

Date: October 28, 2004 02:11AM

Great postseason run; I'm having a hard time believing all of it. What a fun team this edition of the Red Sox was to watch. Too bad the Cardinals looked so bad in the World Series; I actually like the Cards quite a bit. It's difficult to dislike their players. They'll be good next year too though, and I'm sure the Yankees will be back as well. Speaking of the Yankees, I'm sorry, but I just HAVE to post this -

[www.cornellsun.com]

That was on Sept. 16, about 2 weeks before the end of the regular season. I'm all about being gracious after winning and all, but really, how childish is that column? Think he needs some help wiping the egg off his face?

An excerpt:

You're confident of your post-season chances even if you are the wild-card? Maybe in the first round against [Minnesota], but when's the last time you beat the Yanks in the post-season when they had home-field advantage? That's what I thought.

Bottom line Boston fans, no matter what the experts say, when it's time for the playoffs, there is no getting past the Bronx.

Date: October 28, 2004 07:07AM

Seems about as childish as Mike Volonnino's infamous "Cornell sucks" article, and with about the same degree of relevance to the sports section as well. I'm not suggesting we spambomb Chris Mascaro, the author of this article, but I am suggesting that perhaps he needs to change his rhetoric a bit, or perhaps the editors need to watch their sports columnists more closely.

Date: October 28, 2004 11:49AM

It's over. The Red Sox actually did it. I don't know what to say, except...

Let's Go Red!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login