Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Line-up?

Posted by mjh89 
Line-up?
Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 18, 2004 02:12AM

Any ideas as to the forward line-up? Something I'd throw out with not too much thought put into it:

moulson knoepfeli hynes
carefoot sawada bitz
abbot abbot pegs
varteressian iggulden mccutcheon
scott mckeown mcleod

Re: Line-up?
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: October 18, 2004 03:02AM

Moulson-Pegoraro/Scott-Hynes
Abbott-Abbott-Sawada
Knoepfli-Iggulden-Bitz (when he comes back)
Carefoot-Varteressian-McLeod

O'Byrne-Downs
Cook-Pokuluk
Krantz-Glover

McKee

I was very impressed with McLeod in Red-White and think that he fits the fourth line role very well as he is physical and a solid overall player. Pegoraro was brutal pretty much all of last year but clearly has the talent to center an offensive line. His weaknesses that he showed last year, however, are ones that could keep him from even making the lineup. He is weak defensively, and on faceoffs. I have heard that there have been issues in the past with his conditioning. Scott has a reputation of being very good on faceoffs and good/reliable in all zones. I am not big on downing players because of their size (no pun intended), but he is so damn small. I think he could potentially fill in very nicely on the top line, but his size is a big question mark. I think we would all want Scott to be the guy on the top line because he is a better overall player, but his size and how he responds in games being as small as he is will be the determinant in whether he goes.
If Scott can't handle it, I go with Pegoraro.

The third line of Knoepfli-Iggulden-Bitz would be the top checking line in the NCAA. This line would be incredibly effective against any opposition's top line because all three players skate well, are big and physical, and all strong defensively. This line would be especially important against the Dartmouth's and BC's.

Overall, these lines would be very good in home games because Cornell gets the last change.

The hardest decision for Schafer will be which defenseman sits (assuming all are healthy and Glover seems to be injury-prone). I think Cook, Downs, and O'Byrne are definites with the next four being vying for three spots and Salmela firmly in the eighth slot. Offense from the blueline was a big issue last year IMO so that means Krantz goes in. Pokuluk showed some good decision making with the puck in the offensive zone and has tremendous size which we all know that Schafer loves, (not to mention him playing exclusively with Cook in the Red-White game possibly being a positive for him) so I give him a nod as well. I think Schafer is very high on Glover as he is as solid as they come defensively but he does seem to be injury-prone so obviously his health would be a significant factor. That leaves out Gleed I guess. I personally would go with Gleed over Glover because of his size and skating ability, but again, I think Schafer likes Glover a lot. He played in every key defensive situation last year when he was healthy including several games in which he played the final minute in 5-on-6 situations.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: October 18, 2004 09:34AM

You're proposing that the center of the top line be someone (Pegoraro/Scott) who is considered a question mark?! Why would you want to enter the season knowing that there is a good chance your top line won't stay together all year?

Also, after the season Gleed had last year, there's no way he's not in the top 6.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2004 09:54AM

I can't see pegoraro lasting very long again this year. I saw him on multiple occasions give up on the play because he lost control of the puck and it was immediately taken right back but he lost his momentum and passively skated into the offensive zone. yark It seems as though our most effective offensive line atleast from the red/white game is going to be the abbott/sawada line, they looked really good. Did Iggulden go to a skating school similar to what Vesce did two years ago? He seems to be a much faster skater this year and doesn't get knocked off his feet very easily. One criticism of the team in general, they seemed to get knocked down whenever there was contact I'm sure coach will be addressing that this week considering it usually is one of our strengths.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (128.84.198.---)
Date: October 18, 2004 10:01AM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

I can't see pegoraro lasting very long again this year. I saw him on multiple occasions give up on the play because he lost control of the puck and it was immediately taken right back but he lost his momentum and passively skated into the offensive zone. It seems as though our most effective offensive line atleast from the red/white game is going to be the abbott/sawada line, they looked really good. Did Iggulden go to a skating school similar to what Vesce did two years ago? He seems to be a much faster skater this year and doesn't get knocked off his feet very easily. One criticism of the team in general, they seemed to get knocked down whenever there was contact I'm sure coach will be addressing that this week considering it usually is one of our strengths.[/q]

I wouldn't be too worried about them getting knocked down easily in the Red-White game. It was the first time these players had played full out contact hockey in several months.

Date: October 18, 2004 10:06AM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:

You're proposing that the center of the top line be someone (Pegoraro/Scott) who is considered a question mark?! Why would you want to enter the season knowing that there is a good chance your top line won't stay together all year?

Also, after the season Gleed had last year, there's no way he's not in the top 6.[/q]

The last two seasons, Schafer has started a freshman (or a question mark are you put it) on the "top line" (Moulson in 02-03 and Bitz in 03-04). Considering Schafer likes to have four balances lines that he can roll (saw more of this in 02-03 than 03-04), there will have to be question marks on two or three of the lines.
I think Pegoraro or Scott would be the best fits between Hynes and Moulson because they are likely the team's most naturally skilled centermen, so why not give them a shot there when they could potentially give the top line its best possible combination? If it doesn't work, then change it, but not giving someone a chance on the top line because he might not stay there the whole year isn't a very good reason for not trying him there. The players on the "top line" last year changed in several occasions even with Vesce healthy.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: October 18, 2004 10:44AM

The center of the top line is a pivotal position (pun intended), and bears much more responsibility than either wing, especially in Schafer's system. (Of course Schafer wants to have balanced lines, with respect to experience; that's typical in college hockey.) It's one thing to put a freshman in there when you know there's an excellent chance he'll be up to the task; you can't say that about either player here. If Schafer does go that route, he'll be taking a big risk (although perhaps one necessitated by the players he has and the injury to Bitz).

As far as the shifting of line combinations last year, that was, in fact, one of the major problems with the team. Too many changes meant guys couldn't get in synch with one another. Going into the season being relatively certain you'll need to make a change on your top offensive line is not a good sign.

Posted by: Brianna (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 18, 2004 01:48PM

I attended the Red-White game and defense pairings are quite hard to determine...
what are everyones input...

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2004 02:33PM

Four balanced lines are important especially when you're a team without the offensive superstars of a North Dakota or BC. If the third line can check anyone else's first line effectively, so much the better.

Except what happens when you're behind, when you're not a high-scoring team to begin with (assuming this year is an extension of the past few) ... then which line do you automatically want out there in the final minute?

Date: October 18, 2004 02:45PM

I think it's safe to say that Downs-O'Byrne will be the top pair (the pair that faces opposition's top lines) for the second straight year. Cook and Pokuluk played together a lot on Saturday and I could see them being a pair. Glover was hurt and didn't play and the third pair is a tough call as is. I think Krantz is going to play so him with Glover or Gleed.

Date: October 18, 2004 02:51PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Four balanced lines are important especially when you're a team without the offensive superstars of a North Dakota or BC. If the third line can check anyone else's first line effectively, so much the better.

Except what happens when you're behind, when you're not a high-scoring team to begin with (assuming this year is an extension of the past few) ... then which line do you automatically want out there in the final minute? [/q]

I think that this year's team will be much better offensively than last year's was if everyone can stay healthy. A big key is that there will be more offense from the blueline with Pokuluk and Krantz both being good offensively and Cook being a year older. Up front, there are a lot of weapons. I guess the same could be said of last year's team on paper, but something tells me that this year's lineup will produce a lot more. Iggulden, Hynes, Cam Abbott, and Carefoot all are poised to break out offensively. Moulson should produce as he did last year and Knoepfli is always a solid offensive contributor. Sawada could be a big producer. Then there's Bitz, Chris Abbott, Scott, Pegoraro (if he plays), McCutcheon (if he plays). That's a lot of offensive weapons.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 18, 2004 05:28PM

*Last year's team* would have been a lot better if only extra person stayed healthy.

Not that we're criticizing the record of a coach who wins and wins and wins with a defensive set. If we knew Cornell could generate the same W-L record either way, I'd rather see it done in a burst of goal-scoring. But we don't know that.

Posted by: brianna (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 18, 2004 11:12PM

figure both freshmen jump right in ???

Posted by: duffs4 (209.150.239.---)
Date: October 21, 2004 02:35PM

How about this:

Moulson-Bitz-Hynes
Abbott-Abbott-Sawada
Knoepfli-Iggulden-Carefoot
Mckeown-Varteressian-McLeod/Mcutcheon

O'Byrne-Downs
Cook-Pokuluk
Gleed/Krantz-Glover

McKee

Date: October 21, 2004 03:24PM

I like those lines for the most part, but I hated Bitz at center. I thought that was a failed experiment last year. Bitz needs to be in a role where he can be on the boards and driving to the net. I don't think playing center caters to Bitz's strengths this was evident to me when he played center last year. With his size and ability on the walls, I don't see why he should be moved off the wing.
That being said, Schafer seemed to like him in the middle last year though, but again I don't know why. I think it is very realistic that he would center the top line, despite my reservations, because Schafer seemed happy with him there.
I think a lot depends on how Scott does and whether Schafer trusts him to take a regular shift and I guess the same can be said for Pegoraro. Another factor will be whether Iggulden and Varteressian remain at center. I would be shocked if either were moved back to the wing considering they both played the best of hockey of their careers last year when they were moved to the middle.
Other than the Bitz at center, I like your lines.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2004 03:25PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2004 03:29PM

To me, the only center that matters is the one who can win a faceoff. Hopefully the Red can build up some of those this year.

Date: October 21, 2004 04:15PM

Well Scott won most of his faceoffs in red-white, which doesn't say much considering some of the other faceoff men on Cornell, but he does have a reputation for being a good faceoff man. Chris Abbott got a little better last year and was used a lot more down the stretch when Vesce was hurt/when Vesce played and couldn't take faceoffs.

Posted by: duffs4 (209.150.239.---)
Date: October 21, 2004 04:21PM

I think the center ice position is the biggest question mark for this team, especially after watching the R/W game. I thought Scott was going to walk in and take the position but after seeing his perfomance last Saturday I think he has a lot to prove before he takes a regular shift at this level. However, I have only seen him play once. Otherwiswe, I think this team is well rounded with plenty of talent. If we add some chemistry to this goup I think they will be very successful.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2004 04:23PM by duffs4.

Posted by: billhoward (209.172.91.---)
Date: October 24, 2004 12:57AM

What was the Cornell lineup vs. McGill?

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2004 01:09AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

What was the Cornell lineup vs. McGill?[/q]

Lineup: [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: duffus (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2004 09:27PM

power-play looked normal....

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: October 25, 2004 11:14AM

I'm not sure if I'm all into this splitting the abbots idea. But I guess I should know to trust Schafer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login