Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New eLynah

Posted by gtsully 
New eLynah
Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: October 13, 2004 04:12PM

The new site looks great Age - well done. But the backround color looks surpisingly... Crimson. Any way to brighten it up a little, or is it darker to purposely differentiate it from the forum?

Re: New eLynah
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 13, 2004 04:22PM

Thanks. I've been doing some serious color drifting every time I do an ELynah site redesign. The old ELynah.com was a bright straight-up red. It got a little more subdued with the Forum and this last iteration is darker still. I wanted it to be a different shade to differentiate a bit from the forum and the bright reds are starting to offend my rather suspect sensibilities, so yeah, I suppose it's approaching crimson, though it honestly never occurred to me. I just liked that color :-)

At any rate, all the design is in the style sheet and I can add as many new styles as I want, so I could make a brighter red version at some point if you really want it ;-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 13, 2004 04:40PM

Age,

I'm with gtsully. It does look very crimson. If you don't like true Carnelian, I'd stop at the color you have on this page. I wouldn't go any darker.

One thing I do on my background screen is to use pure red but put a pattern (scales) over it. It dampens the brightness of the pure red.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: October 13, 2004 04:44PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Thanks. I've been doing some serious color drifting every time I do an ELynah site redesign. The old ELynah.com was a bright straight-up red. It got a little more subdued with the Forum and this last iteration is darker still. I wanted it to be a different shade to differentiate a bit from the forum and the bright reds are starting to offend my rather suspect sensibilities, so yeah, I suppose it's approaching crimson, though it honestly never occurred to me. I just liked that color
[/q]

Don't forget, the darker gamma on a generic windows box may make it appear more crimson than on a properly colorsync'd mac.

Still, I suspect the new color Age chose is a bit darker than the official Cornell red (Pantone 186).

That having been said, I find the new color *much* easier on the eyes.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: October 13, 2004 06:36PM

FWIW, it's actually darker than the shade of red used on Harvard's athletics webpage.

Posted by: min (199.77.207.---)
Date: October 14, 2004 01:57AM

the fact that there is not a direct link to this forum from the new elynah homepage, is it deliberate?

just wondering...

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 14, 2004 05:21AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

FWIW, it's actually darker than the shade of red used on Harvard's athletics webpage.[/q]

:-O We're more crimson than Crimson?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :-P

Date: October 14, 2004 09:28AM

[Q]min Wrote:

the fact that there is not a direct link to this forum from the new elynah homepage, is it deliberate?

just wondering...[/q]
Other ELynah Sites > ELynah Forum

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2004 10:22AM

The audio links are broken on the cowbell info page

Date: October 14, 2004 11:33AM

Thanks. It's fixed.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.lmf.net)
Date: October 14, 2004 12:59PM

Age-
The new site looks great!!! I like the color, more serious and stylish. Personally, its more logically organized too.

Not to be a complainer, but are there photos from some games in the 03-04 season that haven't been posted?

Date: October 14, 2004 01:07PM

Heh. Yeah, I was actually considering a poll to ask if people preferred ELF getting a facelift or me working on more photos from the last couple years. I think I'm leaning toward getting more photos done. It's not like ELF is particularly broken... :-)

Date: October 14, 2004 02:48PM

At any rate, we're talking about the background color for a website, not a team uniform. If I made it green, you might think it was an eyesore, but I don't think anyone would mention Dartmouth. I just thought it was a fairly pleasing color that was dark enough to provide good contrast with a light color. If I made the background color different, I'd want the links headers, and menubar text color to match it, which means it would be inherently less readable and more gaudy. And if it helps, it's not crimson, it's Pantone 1815C, heretofore referred to as ELynah Red. :-P

Or how about this? I'm just using a throwback color, considering "carnelian red" started as maroon. How about that?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 14, 2004 02:57PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:
Or how about this? I'm just using a throwback color, considering "carnelian red" started as maroon. How about that?[/q]

Beats the real thing:

[www.bytheplanet.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 14, 2004 06:56PM

[q]Or how about this? I'm just using a throwback color, considering "carnelian red" started as maroon. How about that?[/q]Was thining that myself. As long as the team sticks with the brighter red I'm cool with it :-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: October 14, 2004 10:13PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:
And if it helps, it's not crimson, it's Pantone 1815C, heretofore referred to as ELynah Red. [/q]Actually, the word you were looking for is "hereafter." :-P

(Yes, it's nitpicky, but I haven't been out of the library before 11pm even once this week, what do you think that would do to your mood? worry )

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 14, 2004 10:37PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

CowbellGuy Wrote:
And if it helps, it's not crimson, it's Pantone 1815C, heretofore referred to as ELynah Red. [/Q]
Actually, the word you were looking for is "hereafter."[/q]
I was thinking "henceforth", but you're probably right.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2004 12:18AM

Either one. I was going to say "hereinafter" but that sounded too legalese. screwy

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2004 06:04AM

Regardless of Cornell's official color, the tradition has been in the Ivy league for Harvard to have dark red and Cornell to have brighter red. If Cornell played its games wearing true Carnelian, everyone outside the knowledgeable few thousand would say, "How derivative." If you for argument's sake made the home page green, yes, most everyone would think Dartmouth [and you'd hear even more from all the Jessiman haters]. I think it's either got to be a neutral color, a color that doesn't identify with any of the other Ivy teams, or Cornell red.

But since Cornell's sporting color for jerseys is red not crimson, deep, or Carnelian red, it's a little unusual at first to see the deeper shade. (There was nothing about the proper team uniform color in President Lehman's call to engagement, alas.)

The combination of the dark red shading and the photos that have such modest amounts of color makes the home page on some monitors look like a sepia print from the past. Does anyone else have that impression seeing the panorama at page-top?

One ought have the same color on all the pages, particularly the home page and the elynah forum - whatever color you chooses.

Since the forum is so popular, perhaps that should be a truly direct link off the home page, not just a link off Other ELynah Sites.

But regardless, it's nice work.

Date: October 17, 2004 07:47PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

CowbellGuy Wrote:
And if it helps, it's not crimson, it's Pantone 1815C, heretofore referred to as ELynah Red. [/Q]
Actually, the word you were looking for is "hereafter."

(Yes, it's nitpicky, but I haven't been out of the library before 11pm even once this week, what do you think that would do to your mood? )[/q]

Sympathy is possible, depending on whether you arrive at the library at 6pm or 930 pm.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2004 10:18PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Sympathy is possible, depending on whether you arrive at the library at 6pm or 930 pm. [/q]What about 4pm? worry

Date: October 18, 2004 02:25PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
Sympathy is possible, depending on whether you arrive at the library at 6pm or 930 pm. [/Q]
What about 4pm? [/q]

4pm? Sheesh! Are you an engineer or pre-med? Remember, if you're a government major, you can write what's on your mind and get a B+, minimum. Some of the other majors actually demand the one correct answer for full credit. I suppose that's important so the bridge gets built with the right amount of steel and concrete. As you can see from politics, there are lots of wrong answers passed off as correct-enough answers.

Date: October 18, 2004 02:41PM

Heh, actually he's in law school.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login