Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU Hockey Withdrawl- HELP

Posted by Lenny 01 
CU Hockey Withdrawl- HELP
Posted by: Lenny 01 (---.nrp1feld.roc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 10, 2004 11:58AM

I need some help.

I'm living in Rochester now. I graduated 3 years ago, but have been able to get tickets from my girlfriend at Cornell. Now she is graduated. How will I see Cornell Hockey?

Does anyone have suggestions for Cornell Hockey Withdrawl Syndrome? What is the availability of tickets for random games throughout the season?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give to get me out of depression.

Lenny

Re: CU Hockey Withdrawl- HELP
Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2004 01:07PM

Cornell gives a certain amount of tickets in Section O to the visiting team, and if the visiting team doesn't sell them all, they give them back and Cornell puts them on sale. I think they go on sale early Friday morning and you probably have to spend a lot of time in line. You could also try getting them on the ELynah ticket exchange, or EBay, or out in front of Bartels on the night of the game. If all of that fails,order CSTV because some of the games are televised, or get the webcasts of the games for 5$ each, although I hear it sucks.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2004 02:55PM

With the help of Justin Nachod, I was able to watch the webcasts last spring...While I'm one of those guys that loves to listen to sports on the radio with my eyes closed, the webcast was a wonderful revelation. The webcast is certainly not as clear as a TV broadcast and you have to adjust your video acceleration to get peak performance for the webcast. But if you can't get to the game, and the game is not on TV, the webcast is the next best thing. Check it out.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: October 11, 2004 11:27PM

Where is the webcast? For that matter, where is the radio brioadcast (even though I have to pay for both I think)? I never paid attention on where to get that stuff as an undergrad but now it's all I got.

Posted by: Robb (---.187.38.223.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: October 12, 2004 03:56AM

Last year, the webcast of home games only was through i2sports.com, but their page is woefully out of date (it doesn't look like they've broadcast anything yet this fall, and they don't even have schedules for this year's broadcasts posted yet), so I don't know if they're doing it this fall or not. Last year it was $5/game or $60 for the whole season (16 games), and the audio was the offical radio broadcast synched up with the video.

The radio-only broadcasts for both home and away games are through a RealPlayer subscription called College Sports Pass, which is $6.95/month or $49.95 for the "season." However, their season is the entire school year, and hockey is only 5 months, so it's cheaper to pay by the month if all you want is Cornell Hockey. The easiest way to get to these are through Cornell's Men's Hockey Page. Just click on one of the "listen" links and they'll show you where to send the $$$...

So, if you want the radio for the away games and the webcast for the home games (assuming it's still available), it's going to cost you $60 + $7*5 months = $95.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2004 03:58AM by Robb.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2004 09:43AM

Real cheapskates try tuning to the Clarkson, RPI, Dartmouth, etcetera, webcasts that are still free. Obviously you hear a much different slant on the Cornell vs. Other Guy games than listening to the home station. Radio Free RPI hockey games on weekends are followed by an urban or hip-hop show and the DJs were profoundly annoyed when RPI games went to overtime or the RPI announcers did an extended postgame show explaning away yet another RPI loss to the Big Red.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2004 09:49AM by billhoward.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2004 10:33AM

As for getting into Cornell games, it's an easy 90-mile drive unless it's snowing and as you know, it's gorgeous going down the west side of Cayuga Lake. Glare ice can be a minor problem in the dead of winter. Get to Lynah 90 minutes before gametime and hang out in front of the main entrance or the band entrance. There's always someone selling extra tickets. You'll always find a ticket. Well, it may be hard for the Harvard game.

But first of course try the ELynah ticket exchange.

I am shocked and amazed by the number of ticket holders willing to unload Cornell hockey tickets for face value. Living near NYC now, that would simply not be allowed to happen, not even at a one-third empty Devils game.

BH

I used to live in Rochester, too, but it's not something one puts high up on the resume. Rochester is, as locals tell you frequently, a great place to raise a family, and so the opposite premise hangs heavily in the air after you hear that. I loved it as a kid, even the year the county commissioners tried to put a plastic perimeter liner around a Lake Ontario beach so raw sewage wouldn't seep in. (The liner lasted about a week, after which kids realized it wasn't just the cream that rose to the top of the water.) A lot of adult friends posted to Xerox Rochester or to the great yellow father (Kodak) have mixed emotions about the place if they didn't grow up there. The area where I grew up near the Eastman house is pretty cool for singles who have good burglar alarms. Adding insult to injury, it's hard to get the hell out of Dodge: Monroe County airport has some of the nation's highest fares.

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2004 12:23PM

Hey, at least you have a Dinosaur BBQ there. That's got to be worth something.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: October 12, 2004 12:38PM

[Q]MB Wrote:

Hey, at least you have a Dinosaur BBQ there. That's got to be worth something.[/q]

Yeah, but the unsuccessful Empire Brewing Company Rochester location dragged the successful Syracuse location down with it.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: October 12, 2004 01:28PM

Wait... you're saying Dinosaur in Syracuse closed? twitch

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: October 12, 2004 01:49PM

There will also very shortly be a Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. I'm in heaven!!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2004 01:51PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2004 02:15PM

According to the Dinosaur's webpage, the Syracuse location is still there. Quite a scare though... I don't know what I'd do without the Dino.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2004 04:12PM

Settle. He's talking about Empire Brewing Co. Rochester taking down Empire Brewing Co. Syracuse.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: October 12, 2004 05:01PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Wait... you're saying Dinosaur in Syracuse closed? [/q]

Isn't reading comp generally a prereq for law school Josh? :-P

I clearly said "Empire Brewing Co." not "Dinosaur BBQ".

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: October 12, 2004 05:03PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:
Isn't reading comp generally a prereq for law school Josh?

I clearly said "Empire Brewing Co." not "Dinosaur BBQ".[/q]

Your sentence was ambiguous, I read just fine. :-p

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 13, 2004 12:12AM

Rochester hasn't been the same since the Don and Bob's hamburger stand in Brighton closed and got replaced by a bank or something. I'm sure there were better burgers somewhere else in America, just as there's always better pizza somewhere else, but for Rochester, this was primo dining after a high school football game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login