Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ticket Line

Posted by froboymitch 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ticket Line
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 30, 2004 02:09PM

[q]Here's the sad truth, in my opinion, and from accounts: the hockey line has turned in face time.[/q]Surest way to get rid of the facetimers is a season like '93...

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 30, 2004 02:15PM

Yeah, it seems the only way to get a fair ordering of showing up is to start way way way in advance. Find some time, be it 2 weeks, 4 weeks, or May the school year before, when only a few people will show up, and then let the most dedicated fans wait the longest.

Obviously, when the difference between number 1 and not getting tickets is willingness (or, in this case, sheer ability) to wait 3 days and 10 minutes versus 3 days and 20 minutes, then there is no actually ordering within the line, or between line and no line, beyond sheer chance. In order to get the best fans, it would have to be long enough such that people show up slowly and only the most diehard are willing to wait that long, and then people come trickling in later. A-19 nicely explained the downsides of those procedures too though.

The 10 pm to 6 am thing was both a brilliant compromise and a bad idea. I can't blame athletics, you can only blame the administration, who refuses to let the line even begin to interfere with athletics.

I don't know, I really don't know. I just wouldn't be very surprised to be very disappointed with this year's crowd.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2004 02:47PM

If you don't set a start time and let people line up when they want, there won't be any kind of mad rush, or even what you saw with the preline. 200 people won't just decide that "today" is the day to start. If it's a slow trickle of people, they should be able to police themselves. It's in their best interest, and students managed to do that just fine with the original line. When the line is small, you won't need official policing. And athletics can decide when the line is long enough to warrant supervision, but it probably wouldn't happen until the last week or so. And I can think of one student organization *cough* Red Line *cough* that was willing to help out for free. As long as there isn't a mass influx of students in a short period of time, a self-policed list should work fine.

Athletics can not under any circumstances hand out tickets earlier than a pre-defined date. Becuase once they do that, it will undermine the whole process in future years. In fact, the less athletics tries to structure the ticket distribution, the better it will probably run. Set a date, let students do what they want, and perhaps offer official supervision for the last week or 5 days. Bottom line, you can't have any kind of official starting time or everyone will be there.

And for the love of God, make them sleep outside. On concrete and in the rain, if possible. That's the best way to curtail the line.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (128.84.198.---)
Date: September 30, 2004 03:27PM

Unquestionably, the line should be 2-4 weeks long. That will lower the turnout. I would sleep out every night for 4 weeks without hesitation.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: September 30, 2004 04:52PM

I'm not positive if I remember all the details correctly, but I think what Age is suggesting is similar to what was done in the late 80s, pre- Internet and e-mail. I think they just announced (in the Sun and on the radio), more than a week in advance, when tickets would go on sale and that people who wanted to do so could line up around the outside of Lynah. The line was policed, with random line checks, but everyone had to sleep outside, except for the night before tickets were actually sold, when we moved inside Lynah. Upon entry into Lynah, we traded our line ticket for a "class line ticket", meaning that seniors got first priority, then juniors and so on. I'm not sure about grad students or if there was a limit on the number of seats available to each class (although I suppose there must have been some limit).

My recollection was that people slowly started sleeping out during the course of the week and once word got around campus that a substantial number of people were there, then people came en masse. Obviously, freshmen and sophomores had a lot less reason to get there substantially early. As a junior and senior I got good seats in B and slept outside one or two nights, and one night inside. As a sophomore I had decent seats in B, which was the equivalent of D today and as a freshman, good seats in A (but back then C was available to the student).

Re: Grad Ticket Line?
Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2004 05:14PM

The Grad line started around 8:45 at the east end of Barton. There were probably 30 people there, heavily policed by Athletics staff ("You step out of line, you're at the end of it - oh, you stepped out.";) by the time I figured out where the undergrad line was and went sprinting off towards it.
I think there were a lot of people that planned for the line being last night. I was in Barton, and most of my group was somewhere on campus so that when we heard about the line (via cell phone, not email, though there was someone on his computer checking), we could run there and get our line numbers (4 line numbers under 90, plus two more under 200). I think there were a lot of groups doing that, which may/may not mean that the more, if not most, dedicated fans tended to get better line numbers.
As for the line number checks between 10 and 6...it's not a bad idea, but I spent the night catnapping and paranoid that I'd missed a line number check and was going to lose our good seats. There's no order to the numbers, so it's not as if Athletics knows approximately where numbers 125-150 are and can wake up only that group - they wake up everyone. I agree with the line idea posted elsewhere - don't set a starting time and make us wait outside. One possibility is that a tent city grows a la Duke (which doesn't seem too concerned about the conflict with academics), at the same time, fewer people camp out for tickets until just before the sale. It could work, and certainly seems fair.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2004 08:45PM

[Q]I'm not positive if I remember all the details correctly, but I think what Age is suggesting is similar to what was done in the late 80s, pre- Internet and e-mail. I think they just announced (in the Sun and on the radio), more than a week in advance, when tickets would go on sale and that people who wanted to do so could line up around the outside of Lynah. The line was policed, with random line checks, but everyone had to sleep outside[/Q]That's they way it was in the 60's. However there wasn't quite the demand then. At least not untill 66-67.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---)
Date: September 30, 2004 09:03PM

I thought they didn't offer season tickets to the students in the 60's.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: September 30, 2004 10:43PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

I'm not positive if I remember all the details correctly, but I think what Age is suggesting is similar to what was done in the late 80s, pre- Internet and e-mail. I think they just announced (in the Sun and on the radio), more than a week in advance, when tickets would go on sale and that people who wanted to do so could line up around the outside of Lynah. The line was policed, with random line checks, but everyone had to sleep outside[/Q]
That's they way it was in the 60's. However there wasn't quite the demand then. At least not untill 66-67.[/q]
Until at least 65-66, it was first-come first-served admission on a game-by-game basis with students using a CUAA coupon. Got people into the rink plenty early, and a high percentage of 'em were students.

Posted by: MB (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2004 11:21PM

Hey, I'm an Eagle scout, and I'm all about camping in the rain. Or snow. Or hail. No structure may sometimes be the best structure. Don't make camping out a slumber party-- make it an ordeal with many riches at the end.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 01, 2004 07:58AM

I've never been called villainous by the Sun before: [www.cornellsun.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 01, 2004 08:18AM

I think the first time they moved the line indoors was '81. Also remember the ticket sales took place over three days back then. The first day only seniors could get tickets, the second day added sophs & juniors, and the last day anybody could get tickets. And knowing there were fewer tickets available kept the size of the line down. I don't understand why they changed that. It worked pretty well.

My sophomore year, I camped out on senior day, holding a space for for some seniors in my fraternity. The camp-out was only 24 hours, but it snowed a bit that day - the season started much later then. The line policed itself, though one group did bring a baseball bat (never used). My senior year, they were planning to move the line indoors at 6 PM. The line started forming that morning in the pouring rain outside the location (the baseball practice facility).

By restricting the first line to seniors and forcing most of the wait to be outside in the elements, you really cut down on the facetimers. One other consideration: back then, section C was the prime student section and they allowed 4200 people into a game.

Times change (and not for the better).

Re: Grad Ticket Line?
Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: October 01, 2004 08:54AM

Thanks for the info Liz

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2004 10:41PM

There were indoor ticket lines at Barton Hall in the early 1970s.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2004 01:59PM

As a freshman in the fall of 1968 I was oblivious to lines and season tickets, if any; I just showed up early for every game with my coupon book and got standing room.

In the fall of 1969 word spread and the line formed in Barton Hall Thursday evening. Seats were chosen and tickets were distributed Sunday morning. I don't remember much to-do in advance. Things were sufficiently well organized in 1969 that it felt as though they had been through the drill before and had things under control.

I was more alert in 1970. Initially Athletics said that we wouldn't be allowed to camp in Barton, so we rounded up tents to pitch. In the end, it was pretty much the same drill as the year before, with the line in Barton again.

Re: The party line on the Ticket Line
Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2004 03:07PM

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login