Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] Yale @ Cornell 9/25

Posted by Greg Berge 
[OT] Yale @ Cornell 9/25
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: September 25, 2004 01:54PM

Scoring so far, very late in the second quarter, Cornell 9 Yale 0:

Cor MacMeekin 32 FG
Cor MacMeekin 23 FG
Cor MacMeekin 25 FG

MacMeekin had just 3 FGs last season and was 0x2 vs Bucknell. Yale beat Dayton last week.

Re: [OT] Yale @ Cornell 9/25
Date: September 25, 2004 01:57PM

Cornell 9 Yale 7, 2nd

Yal Cowan-Plumb 24 pass, Sullivan kick.

Thanks for the updates (nm)
Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2004 02:14PM

nm

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 25, 2004 02:18PM

Good for MacMeekin. But ick for the team. Three times in the red zone and only three field goals. Ah, Cornell football!

Date: September 25, 2004 03:11PM

12 mins to go in regulation, Cornell 16 Yale 7

Cor Hardaway 1 run, MacMeekin kick.

Date: September 25, 2004 03:29PM

Inside the final 4 minutes, two big third down plays for Cornell -- a run by Joshu Johnston and a competion by DJ Busch to Brian Romney, keep up driving and take us to the Yale 15. The Bulldogs are now burning their timeouts with about 2 minutes to go.

In the other Ivy game, Harvard is leading Brown 35-31 late in a game where Brown was once up big.

Date: September 25, 2004 03:33PM

Trevor MacMeekin is perfect today with 4 FGs and an PAT.

Cornell 19 Yale 7, 1:30 to go

Cor MacMeekin 32 FG
Cor MacMeekin 23 FG
Cor MacMeekin 25 FG
Yal Cowan-Plumb 24 pass, Sullivan kick
Cor Hardaway 1 run, MacMeekin kick
Cor MacMeekin 29 FG

Date: September 25, 2004 03:36PM

1:06 to go, Cornell stops Yale on downs and gives Jim Knowles his first Cornell and Ivy victory. The Red will finish today in a first place tie with either Harvard or Brown.

Date: September 25, 2004 03:38PM

Final: Cornell 19 Yale 7

The Red stop 10 game overall and 8 game Ivy losing streaks in beating a solid team.

Nice job. We can compete this year.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2004 03:42PM

Nice to see us -- after two weeks -- already have a more successful season than 2003.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: September 25, 2004 04:23PM

Incredible D today. 181 yards total offense for Yale. Cowan and Carr simply killed us last year. Very impressive Ivy start.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2004 04:42PM

How was the size of the crowd? I know that Cornell was pushing for a sellout.

Date: September 25, 2004 05:23PM

[Q]Scott Kominkiewicz Wrote:

How was the size of the crowd? I know that Cornell was pushing for a sellout.[/q]
11,000+

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2004 05:30PM

They should have saved the 2nd "sellout" attempt for a time when it might have actually come close to succeeding, as it did 4 years ago. It was both the first home game and homecoming weekend, was it not? The timing made sense then.

Date: September 25, 2004 05:36PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

They should have saved the 2nd "sellout" attempt for a time when it might have actually come close to succeeding, as it did 4 years ago. It was both the first home game and homecoming weekend, was it not? The timing made sense then.[/q]
Ten game losing streak didn't help much, either. Too bad. Reads like it was a helluva performance.

Next two Ivy games very convenient to Cape Cod, at Harvard (10/9) and Brown (10/23). Looks like both can put points on the board.

Edit: Best stat of the game--Yale 1 for 14 on third downs (and 1 for 4 on fourth down)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2004 05:39PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Robb (---.113.203.26.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: September 25, 2004 07:48PM

[Q]Scott Kominkiewicz Wrote:

How was the size of the crowd? I know that Cornell was pushing for a sellout.[/q]

Where "sellout" is defined as getting rid of all the tickets... My parents said that among other ways they were getting rid of tickets, the cops had set up some roadblocks coming on to campus, and anyone who was wearing a seatbelt got a free ticket to the game. Those who were not wearing their seatbelts got a different sort of ticket!

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2004 09:05PM

It was a great day to root for the Big Red. Cornell physically dominated Yale and not too many people expected that. Yale was shut out in the second half and, after scoring quickly at the end of the first half to cut the lead to 2 points, the second half shutout tells how well Cornell played. The team - coaches and players - did a great job of preparation and execution. One penalty, I believe, and no turnovers for Cornell (THAT's a lot different from last year), and we held Yale to around 180 yards of total offense.

Great job Cornell!

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2004 02:08AM

While I'm whole-heartedly happy that Cornell got its first win in a LONG time, I wouldn't say that either team was very good today. In fact, Yale was awful (and I've watched some pretty bad Yale teams in the past 20 years). They were falling apart at the seams today, as the many Yalies sitting around me were commenting, with shoddy and holey defense and very little, pathetic offense. Having seen Yale play at least once a year for the past few years and season tickets before that, I have a hard time believing we saw the best of them today. I'm willing to give a lot of credit to Cornell for preventing Yale from getting its first first down until the second quarter and interfering with both their passing and running games, but we couldn't complete FOUR drives from within 20 yds. It should've been a blowout for the amount of yards we gained, and it wasn't. There were a few instances (especially around the end zones) where my dad made the comment that Cornell's plays clearly weren't helping, were obviously losing ground, and perhaps should be improvised if they weren't going to work. There's still a lot of work to be done.
On the other hand, the Cornell players seemed to love the crowd presence today - Kitlowski (#5) in particular was on the field getting the crowd on their feet and cheering. They've made a vast improvement from last year's Yale game (Yale's 40something to Cornell's single digits) and seem to have an optimistic attitude about the season.
I hope we'll be winning a lot of games this season, but for now, I'm content with having beaten Yale. :-D

Date: September 26, 2004 09:38AM

Last year's loss at Yale was "only" 21-7. However, that still represents a net 26 point improvement. If they were to repeat that over the rest of the Ivy schedule (to take a wild premise), they would finish 5-2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2004 09:39AM by Greg Berge.

Re: Thanks for the updates (nm)
Posted by: mjh89 (---.stcgpa.adelphia.net)
Date: September 26, 2004 09:49AM

what does nm mean, i always see it but I never know what it means?

Date: September 26, 2004 10:28AM

"No message" (just the subject line).

Date: September 26, 2004 10:31AM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

what does nm mean, i always see it but I never know what it means?[/q]
"nm" stands for "no message." That is, the posting has a headline that gives the message, and there's no need for clicking on the link in order to read it. Of course, it will still be flagged as "New" forever and ever, unless you are still avoiding use of the "threaded view."

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2004 02:30PM

edit: In 2001 Yale beat Cornell 40-13 (the game I was thinking of), in 2002 it was 50-23, in 2003 it was, as Greg says, 21-7. I'm apparently no good at remembering what year games were played in.

Meaning of "nm"
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2004 01:36AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

"nm" stands for "no message." That is, the posting has a headline that gives the message, and there's no need for clicking on the link in order to read it. Of course, it will still be flagged as "New" forever and ever, unless you are still avoiding use of the "threaded view."[/q]

That's what "mark all messages read" is for.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2004 09:31AM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:what does nm mean, i always see it but I never know what it means?[/q]"nm" can also mean "never mind", but it didn't really make sense in this context.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2004 03:10PM

An average home game at Cornell draws what, 5,000 fans? My understanding is that across America, undergrads have much less interest in football than a generation ago. At big football schools, when it's a 50,000- or 80,000-sellout, that's 5,000 students and a whole lot of fans and alumni.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2004 08:04PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

An average home game at Cornell draws what, 5,000 fans? My understanding is that across America, undergrads have much less interest in football than a generation ago. At big football schools, when it's a 50,000- or 80,000-sellout, that's 5,000 students and a whole lot of fans and alumni. [/q]

It has a lot more to do with big programs making money by limiting the low income student tickets and increasing "alumni donation" seats. I read an article recently about how much tickets are at various football schools, and I was stunned. There are only 5,000 students because of the athletics department pricing them out of the market.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2004 08:17AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote: /Q]
It has a lot more to do with big programs making money by limiting the low income student tickets and increasing "alumni donation" seats. I read an article recently about how much tickets are at various football schools, and I was stunned. There are only 5,000 students because of the athletics department pricing them out of the market.[/q]

We've got different information or different beliefs. What I heard wasn't a pricing issue. It was that students to a greater degree than a generation ago just aren't that interested in Saturday afternoon football. I'm not talking Cornell or Wisconsin hockey or Duke basketball, I'm talking Ohio State or Texas football. But when you see the rows and rows of exercise bikes at Teagle hall, I'm not sure that it's such a bad thing if students have swapped watching sports for taking part in sports and staying fit. I got just as much (well, almost as much) excitement out of pickup hockey at Lynah at midnight as watching the Big Red roll over Colgate four hours earlier. Me personally, I wanted to do both.

Somebody who's been a grad student at a big time school help out here: Aren't student tickets priced lower than general admission tickets and by quite a bit? At Ohio State, I believe students pay $100 for five home games and the public pays about $50 a ticket for each game. I don't know how individual games are handled or what happens if you manage to get a date for one game, but I'm assuming there's a ticket exchange that works those things out. $20 isn't free but it is 60% off list

If the athletic department limited student access to games, I couldn't imagine that alumni wouldn't notice the absence of students. I suspect no one from the class of '84 scans the stands with binoculars looking at the snug sweaters of the trustees' wives.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 28, 2004 12:15PM

Here's one quick data point from MSU: student season tickets for football are $99 compared with $228 for the public. That's a 57% discount and under $17 per game.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: September 28, 2004 12:32PM

Things have changed a bit since I was a grad at Michigan, and the system they have now seems pretty reasonable. Even with a stadium capacity of 105K, they have a waiting list for season tickets. However, they don't cap the number of student season tickets, which are priced at 1/2 the cost for non-students. Students present their tickets at the game with an ID, or they can pass their tickets on to non-students if they purchase a $27 validation sticker for each ticket, which I assume is the difference between student and public prices. This eliminates the black market in student tickets that existed when I was there. Seems an effective way to maximize their income without shutting any students out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login