Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] Mike Richter begins Junior Year at Yale

Posted by Adam Ganderson 
[OT] Mike Richter begins Junior Year at Yale
Posted by: Adam Ganderson (---.drama.yale.edu)
Date: September 20, 2004 03:40PM

That's right. The legendary NY Rangers goalie is now a Yale undergrad. Fortunatly his NCAA eligibilty has expired. :) He does say he's planning to help Yale's goalies out a little, but that his classes and family takes higher priority for him. Full article at

[www.yaledailynews.com]

Re: [OT] Mike Richter begins Junior Year at Yale
Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2004 08:44PM

Oh boy. I just had a horrible horrible thought. What if Tim Taylor retires in 3 years and Yale hires recently minted Calhoun alumnus Mike Richter as the new head coach?

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2004 09:11PM

that's such a horrible thought?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---)
Date: September 20, 2004 09:29PM

What makes you think Mike Richter will be such a great coach? In my opinion, Tim Taylor it the best X's and O's coach in the ECAC and very possibly the best in the NCAA. When he retires, whoever Yale gets to replace him will likely be a downgrade at least for the short term.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2004 09:46AM

Yeah yeah, everyone keeps saying it, but where are the banners? I don't care if you're a great guy, if the players love you, or how much respect you have. Ultimately, your success is measured by championships, and so far, Tim and I are neck-and-neck in that category.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: September 21, 2004 10:27AM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote: Yeah yeah, everyone keeps saying it, but where are the banners? I don't care if you're a great guy, if the players love you, or how much respect you have. Ultimately, your success is measured by championships, and so far, Tim and I are neck-and-neck in that category.[/q]Next time a head coaching vacancy opens up, you should apply and use that as your explanation of why you're qualified. :-P

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---)
Date: September 21, 2004 01:53PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Yeah yeah, everyone keeps saying it, but where are the banners? I don't care if you're a great guy, if the players love you, or how much respect you have. Ultimately, your success is measured by championships, and so far, Tim and I are neck-and-neck in that category.[/q]

I understand what you're saying, but in college hockey there is coaching and there is recruiting. As far as coaching is concerned (X's and O's), I praise Taylor. I think the lack of success of the program is attributed to recruiting. Yale always has 4 or 5 very good players and solid cores, but their depth has always been an issue in my opinion.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: September 21, 2004 02:44PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

CowbellGuy Wrote:

Yeah yeah, everyone keeps saying it, but where are the banners? I don't care if you're a great guy, if the players love you, or how much respect you have. Ultimately, your success is measured by championships, and so far, Tim and I are neck-and-neck in that category.[/Q]
I understand what you're saying, but in college hockey there is coaching and there is recruiting. As far as coaching is concerned (X's and O's), I praise Taylor. I think the lack of success of the program is attributed to recruiting. Yale always has 4 or 5 very good players and solid cores, but their depth has always been an issue in my opinion.[/q]
The other question is preparing teams for the "big games."

Tim's teams seem to consistently underachieve in the post-season. For example, Yale has lost four of the last five ECAC tournament series (or single games as in 1992) played at Ingalls, and the one win was in 1998 as #1 seed playing #10 SLU. And even that win required a number of last second Ray Giroux miracles to avoid going out in two games. Scores were 3-3, 3-3, 4-1.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2004 01:11AM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Yeah yeah, everyone keeps saying it, but where are the banners? I don't care if you're a great guy, if the players love you, or how much respect you have. Ultimately, your success is measured by championships, and so far, Tim and I are neck-and-neck in that category.[/q]

I am far from being a Tim Taylor fan, but in terms of banners, he is a bit ahead of you, what with one regular-season crown (1998) and at least three Ivy titles.

I know, I know, you were talking about ECAC tournament championships, the only ones that matter. And yes, it is a rather large hole in the Taylor resume that he's never even had a team play for an ECAC tourney title, much less win one.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 22, 2004 09:41AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
Tim's teams seem to consistently underachieve in the post-season. For example, Yale has lost four of the last five ECAC tournament series (or single games as in 1992) played at Ingalls, and the one win was in 1998 as #1 seed playing #10 SLU. And even that win required a number of last second Ray Giroux miracles to avoid going out in two games. Scores were 3-3, 3-3, 4-1.[/q]
I guess SLU was a pretty good tenth place team :-D

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2004 10:12AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
the one win was in 1998 as #1 seed playing #10 SLU. And even that win required a number of last second Ray Giroux miracles to avoid going out in two games. Scores were 3-3, 3-3, 4-1.[/q]

The only time ever the first two games of a 3-point series were tied. It also allowed Yale to go 1-2-2 in the playoffs that season. That was a pretty crazy playoff year, when we won at RPI in three games and then lost to Princeton (who went on to with the ECACs) in the first ever 4/5 play-in game.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: September 22, 2004 10:14AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

.. .in the first ever 4/5 play-in game.[/q]
May they rest in peace.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2004 10:20AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

.. .in the first ever 4/5 play-in game.[/Q]
May they rest in peace.[/q]

I was gonna say "rot in Hell", but okay. :-P

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: September 22, 2004 01:45PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
...and then lost to Princeton (who went on to with the ECACs) in the first ever 4/5 play-in game.[/q]I think that might be the worst game I've ever seen Cornell play, and that includes the 11-0 game at Yale and any games against Sacred Heart that we may or may not have ever played, which, of course, never happened.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: September 27, 2004 04:53PM

Article from SI.com, visiting campus with Richter. Cornell gets a mention.

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2004 05:51PM

[Q] Form SI:
Although Richter enjoys reading books like A Sound County Almanac and The Ecology of Commerce to get prepared for his classes, there's still a part of him that wants to be playing and struggling alongside his former teammates as they figure out when they will play again.[/Q]

I guess Arash Markazi didn't enjoy reading the "...Almanac"!

:-P

But then again I think the only thing I remember is the title.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login