Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Line check procedure release (mainly)

Posted by DeltaOne81 
Line check procedure release (mainly)
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 11:50AM

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

Better!

Key improvements:

0) Later in the semester. Prelim stress should eliminate so many freshman showing up.

1) No official start time (though they'll say they will release an earlies time, implication is it will probably be mid that week). Die hards can line up as early as they want, no sketchyness/fighting. But not naming a time like 4:45 on Friday also means that there won't be a huge rush of non-die hards at/around/before a specific hour (we can only hope).

2) Line numbers as soon as you arrive... cutting eliminated!

2a) Line checks all that week, as soon as people show up, evening/night hours only - 10 pm to 6 am. This means you have to be committed if you want to show up before Friday, but it is also a fair way to avoid conflict with classes.

Interesting note: They didn't note if a student can still get two tickets. I assume so, but I didn't see them say it.

Re: Line check procedure release (mainly)
Posted by: dodger916 (132.236.219.---)
Date: September 14, 2004 12:31PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Interesting note: They didn't note if a student can still get two tickets. I assume so, but I didn't see them say it.[/q]

It must have been updated. Now it specifies two seats per line number.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---)
Date: September 14, 2004 01:30PM

I AM VERY EXCITED!

Date: September 14, 2004 01:35PM

How many people do you guys think will be lining up early in the week?

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 01:40PM

Depends whether they announce the location on Monday or Thursday...

Date: September 14, 2004 01:42PM

The earlier the better, that way the people who don't care as much are weeded out.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: September 14, 2004 02:13PM

What do people do about line cutters prior to assignment of numbers?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 02:18PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

What do people do about line cutters prior to assignment of numbers?[/q]

Numbers are assigned as soon as you get there. Be that 6 pm Saturday or 1 am Monday (assuming they open the line that early). So cutters are eliminated.

Dodger - I coulda just missed it.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.blumtn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2004 02:30PM

thats an overshare...............

Posted by: munronics (128.253.239.---)
Date: September 14, 2004 02:34PM

DeltaOne,
Any idea of how they're handling the separate grad and undergrad lines? (You seem well-informed) I'm wondering if there will be duplicate line numbers or if one group will get to select seats first. Will the 200 grad seats be split between the sections?

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 03:06PM

Calgari, what are you going to do this year. Since they are giving out the line numbers when you arrive, you can't cut the line this year.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 03:18PM

Seems like an easy way to handle grad vs. undergrad. Use the same line, but keep track of the number of each type of student in line. Once 100 grad line numbers are handed out then grad students can't get a line number unless/until someone else is removed from the line. Same thing for Ugrads, exept with the higher limit. That way everyone gets their choice of seat based on how early they arrived in line but the right numbers are preserved.

That may not be the only way to do it, but it seems logical.

Date: September 14, 2004 03:39PM

Facetimer, I don't get it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2004 03:39PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 06:25PM

just sounds like a really great procedure. after the hell that was the line last year (and the 3 years before that), i thought the best thing about graduation would be not having to ever go through that again. just my luck that things are fixed after i leave.

my only 2 questions remaining:
(1) as someone else asked, how will grad seating be assigned, since it's a separate line? are there particular seats, or does #1 grad go after #1 undergrad, or what?
(2) if athletics releases the time and place info too late (technically thursday = last day in sept.), it seems as if the possibility of a leak could cause the whole pre-line chaos they're trying to avoid. given that so many people here seem to have connections to the program, how do they keep the most closely guarded secret at cornell a secret when so many preparations need to be made in advance?

-mike '04

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 08:02PM

Mike, I'm sure if we really wanted to, we could figure it out by tracking down the schedules for the venues on campus large enough to hold the hockey ticket line....but do we need to? The people that need to know for planning purposes might a) not care enough to realize it's something people want to know, or b) be responsible enough not to tell the world. If the location gets posted here, for example, it'll be everywhere (think Sun sports page). I don't think any of us really want to destroy what seems to be a really good system for this year.
-Liz

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 08:39PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

I don't think any of us really want to destroy what seems to be a really good system for this year.
-Liz[/q]

I'm sure whoever thought up the notebook for the beginning of the line last year thought it was a good idea, too. That didn't stop those sketchy guys from grabbing the notebook and running away with it. Don't underestimate people's greed to get better seats.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 09:16PM

I'll amend that "us" to posters on ELF, then. :-)

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: September 14, 2004 10:36PM

1) i wasnt asking for the location whatsoever. actually, thinking critically on my concern, it probably doesn't make a difference even if plenty of people knew, as long as (a) CU makes the date early enough that the whole world won't want to get there even earlier and (b) athletics and cupd enforce the no-waiting-around beforehand rule. that being said, i was never advocating a leak, nor investigative work. the whole process will work only if there is no pre-line, and i have alot of confidence that they have gotten it right this year.

2) more important was my other concern- how do graduate students integrate into the purchase process, being that there are 2 lines, each with #s 1-100 in common

3) THE LIST was a good idea for a period of time, until people started getting pissed off at #400 or so. consequentially, i found myself chasing the asshole that stole the list out of my hands. the whole idea of the list was that if students could solve their own concerns amicably in such a way that avoided a 4:45 violent rush and had some form of meritocracy (to be fair, the first 50 kids were there since thursday morning), things would be better off. the chase was more symbolic than anything- just the fact that things came to the point where a student uprising was necessary signified that students no longer favored the system.

-mike

Date: September 14, 2004 10:48PM

I'm guessing that the graduate students will have a different pool of seats to choose from than the undergrads like a couple rows in A, B, D, E or something of that nature. I doubt they would make a whole graduate student section.

Posted by: KateWithThe8 (---.umd.edu)
Date: September 15, 2004 09:07AM

No new information, but here's the Daily Sun article regarding the procedure:
[www.cornellsun.com]

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: September 15, 2004 09:17AM

Calgari: You know what I am talking about, don't play dumb. innocent

Mike '04: I think you should spend your time worrying about how the line will work at the Harvard box office (traitor). We should go to Foxwoods one of these days, give me a ring.

Posted by: dodger916 (132.236.219.---)
Date: September 15, 2004 10:02AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I'm guessing that the graduate students will have a different pool of seats to choose from than the undergrads like a couple rows in A, B, D, E or something of that nature. I doubt they would make a whole graduate student section.[/q]
Certain seats are being reserved for grads in sections B, D & G. The seats in B & D represent columns, not rows. For example, seats 1 & 2 in all rows of D. They are also being allotted the "sitting" portion of section G.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2004 10:03AM by dodger916.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login