Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] Who won lacrosse gold medal in Athens Olympics?

Posted by billhoward 
[OT] Who won lacrosse gold medal in Athens Olympics?
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2004 04:50PM

Oh, wait, lacrosse is not a sport worthy of the Olympics. Synchronized diving, yes. Beach volleyball, yes. But not lacrosse. Sheesh.

Re: [OT] Who won lacrosse gold medal in Athens Olympics?
Posted by: ugarte (---.char.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2004 05:09PM

How many countries play it?

Posted by: ben03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2004 05:34PM

According to the International Lacrosse Federation website < [www.intlaxfed.org] >

There sre 14 full member Nations: Australia; Canada; Czech Republic; England; Germany; Ireland; Iroquois Nationals; Japan; Korea; New Zealand; Scotland; Sweden; United States; and, Wales. The affiliate member Nations include: Argentina; Denmark; Hong Kong; Finland; Italy; and, Tonga.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 30, 2004 05:58PM

Does any game or sport that is played anywhere in the world need to be an official Olympic sport? There are waaaaaaaay too many Olympic events as it is.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: August 30, 2004 06:23PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Oh, wait, lacrosse is not a sport worthy of the Olympics. Synchronized diving, yes. Beach volleyball, yes. But not lacrosse. Sheesh. [/q]
Ned's RPI lacrosse team was invited to the 1948 Olympics in London. I'm guessing it was an "exhibition" sport then.

[www.rpi.edu]

Date: August 30, 2004 07:09PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote: Does any game or sport that is played anywhere in the world need to be an official Olympic sport? There are waaaaaaaay too many Olympic events as it is.[/q]

Lacrosse is a sport with a long history, played seriously by a dozen or more nations. It's fun to watch. It's not a marginalized sport like, oh, say, curling (so, prove me wrong). I think it belongs in. Most of the world probably thinks, "Oh, jeez, one more sport for the bloody Yanks to medal in." I wouldn't have a problem with cricket being an Olympic sport, either, although I don't know if they could play a game in just two weeks, let along a whole tournament.

At the same time, I have nothing against newly admitted sports that feature incredibly bronzed, glistening bodies jumping up and down on beach sand. I'm sure every male (or female) who tunes in for matches featuring the opposite sex is just watching the athletic grace and beauty. I'm sure no one who tuned in mid match to the USA-Brazil showdown ever commented on what the BRA logo stands for on the halter tops of the Brazilian team.

Unless beer is a banned substance, I don't think there'd be a doping scandal among lacrosse players.

It's Cornell's ongoing best chance for multiple golds at the summer games. Go, Red!

Date: August 30, 2004 07:44PM

[q]I'm sure every male (or female) who tunes in for matches featuring the opposite sex is just watching the athletic grace and beauty.[/q]
Are you suggesting that the following comment seen on a blog showing beach volleyball pictures is off base? (http://www.balloon-juice.com/archives/004311.html)
"Why was I not told that this year's Olympics included gratuitous softcore lesbian scenes? Why were none of us told, in fact?"

BTW - something about team sports in the Olympics just rubs me the wrong way, whether it's baseball/hockey (sports I care deeply about) or soccer/basketball (which I don't care about). Don't know why. Somehow they just don't fit with what I think of as "olympic" type sports.
To clarify, I don't have a problem with relay races, or synchronized swimming (well, I do have a problem with that, but it's for different reasons :-P).
I think I'm just judgemental...

Date: August 30, 2004 08:47PM

I remember the "pure Olympics comprise individual sports only" argument. That's deader than Avery Brundage, I thought.

Intersting photo essay on the volley-ballers. Not exactly an erudite discussion thread with it, although this scribe had a good point:

>>> I have to point out that two of the American players are named "Misty May" and "Holly McPeaks". You can't make stuff like that up.

Also:

>>> I believe Allah is watching this - with a cold beer.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.stmnca.adelphia.net)
Date: August 30, 2004 09:02PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
I have to point out that two of the American players are named "Misty May" and "Holly McPeaks". You can't make stuff like that up.
[/q]

Actually, Holly McPeak...but I seem to remember hearing that she got implants prior to the 1996 Atlanta Games. Could be just a rumor though.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2004 09:14PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with team sports in the Olympics; but team sports or other sports in which the teams or same individuals compete on a regular basis outside of the Olympics makes me uncomfortable. E.g. tennis -- it's the same touring pros who play week-to-week, many of whom are at the US Open this week. Calling the weekly tourney "The Olympics" doesn't make it special, in my book. The same for the cycling road race. For team sports, hoops and hockey are special because those teams don't play together day-in and day-out.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: August 30, 2004 10:31PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:
There sre 14 full member Nations: Australia; Canada; Czech Republic; England; Germany; Ireland; Iroquois Nationals; Japan; Korea; New Zealand; Scotland; Sweden; United States; and, Wales.[/q]
It should be pointed out that in olympic terms that's only 11 different countries. But still, that's more than take part in many olympic tournaments.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: August 30, 2004 10:35PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
I wouldn't have a problem with cricket being an Olympic sport, either, although I don't know if they could play a game in just two weeks, let along a whole tournament.
[/q]
I've actually thought about this, and they could pull it off if they played limited-overs (one-day) cricket. Of course, there you'd have to deal with the "West Indies" teams being split over several olympic nations.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: August 31, 2004 12:08PM

[q]Calling the weekly tourney "The Olympics" doesn't make it special, in my book. The same for the cycling road race.[/q]
I see your point, but doesn't that cover a lot of sports? Track and feild has lots of regular competitions too, doesn't it?

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.178.---)
Date: August 31, 2004 02:40PM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
I have to point out that two of the American players are named "Misty May" and "Holly McPeaks". You can't make stuff like that up.
[/Q]
Actually, Holly McPeak...but I seem to remember hearing that she got implants prior to the 1996 Atlanta Games. Could be just a rumor though.[/q]

You guys left out swimmer Misty Hyman.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: August 31, 2004 05:42PM

And one of them (Tammy Crow) is a convicted murderer. Can't make that stuff up either. yark

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2004 08:01PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

And one of them (Tammy Crow) is a convicted murderer. Can't make that stuff up either. [/q]

Sure ya can. You can take someone who pleaded no contest to vehicular manslaughter and will serve 90 days, and say she's a convicted murderer.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2004 08:02PM by Jordan 04.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login