Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Reason #586 that Schafer rocks

Posted by Greg 
Reason #586 that Schafer rocks
Posted by: Greg (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: July 28, 2004 07:56AM

Nothing is guaranteed, but from the way they stack up going into this year it looks like Cornell has a great chance to finish > .500 overall for the sixth consecutive season. The Big Red have not accomplished that since 1981 (24 seasons ago), the final year of an 18 season stretch of finishes > .500.

Likewise, Cornell comes into this year having finished at 4th or better in the ECAC for 5 consecutive seasons. The longest such streak ever in Cornell history was the 10 straight seasons from 1966-75.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2004 07:57AM by Greg.

Re: Reason #586 that Schafer rocks
Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: July 28, 2004 08:30AM

First of all, I don't think you can name the other 585 reason why Schafer rocks. I think you came up with an arbitrary number.

The above notwithstanding, I could consistently coach a team in the ECAC to a > .500 season. That doesn't mean a thing if you have nothing to show for it. With the talent on our team last year, it is appauling that Schafer couldn't even motivate his team to take 2 of 3 from Clarkson. That is reason #586 why Schafer should be fired.

Other reasons include he can't control his team from taking undisciplined penalties, he can't control the Lynah croud, he can't control the officiating, he can't protect our student athletes, he recruited players like Ben Wallace, Todd Marr, and Ryan O'Byrne and he can't win out of conference games. Of 7 out of conference games, Schafer could only come up with 2 wins. If Schafer was any sort of respectable coach he would remove himself from an ECAC team and prove himself in a competative conference.

Simply put: Schafer is a vagina. blush

Let us give credit where credit is due. The real reason why Cornell has consistently been a + .500 team is because of Cowbell guy and the cowbell cheer.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: July 28, 2004 09:58AM

It's worth noting that, other than the two stretches that Greg mentioned, I think the only other time Cornell finished at .500 or above for as many as five consecutive seasons was under Brian McCutcheon '71 (1988-1992). Of course, the ECAC is a vastly different league, relative to the rest of the nation, now than it was back then. ECAC teams have reached the Frozen Four in only two of the past eight seasons, as compared to seven consecutive seasons from 1985 through 1991.

Posted by: Greg (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: July 28, 2004 11:59AM

ECAC teams reached the championship game in 5 of 6 seasons between 1985 and 1990, winning titles in 1985 and 1989 and coming within an overtime eyelash in 1988 -- the strongest period of ECAC competitiveness ever.

[www.tbrw.info]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2004 12:07PM by Greg.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.timeinc.com)
Date: July 28, 2004 04:33PM

If Schaefer is so good, how to you go from the frozen four to out of the tournament the next year in a weaker conference? The man is a hypocritical idiot who has worn out his welcome here. Just like you Greg.

20 bucks says the first person to respond to this is avash 05 (I know, i know, he won't respond to this now out of spite, however can't you all just picture him getting all angry and ready to type until he scrolled down a littler further? poor avash 05..........)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 28, 2004 05:34PM

[Q]The man is a hypocritical idiot who has worn out his welcome here.[/q]

Pot. Kettle. Black.

And you lose 20 bucks.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2004 08:55PM

Hey Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2004 08:56PM by jeh25.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: July 29, 2004 03:40PM

[Q]Greg Wrote:

ECAC teams reached the championship game in 5 of 6 seasons between 1985 and 1990, winning titles in 1985 and 1989 and coming within an overtime eyelash in 1988 -- the strongest period of ECAC competitiveness ever.
[/q]

It's worth noting that this period came right after the formation of Hockey East in 1984, which came about in part because the teams that left the ECAC felt that restrictions imposed by that league were preventing them from being competitive. The NCAAs were dominated by Western teams from 1979 through 1984; the only Eastern team to appear in the championship game during that time was Harvard in 1983. So the Hockey East Super-League was formed, and during the 1985-90 period produced only one NCAA finalist -- Providence in '85.

Of course, once Maine won it all in 1993, the Hockey East deluge started, as since then the league has produced three other NCAA champs and nine other (non-winning) finalists.

Greg, a slight error on your Best NCAA Playoff graph -- the ECAC did not produce a finalist in 1994, as Harvard lost in the semis to Lake Superior.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 29, 2004 06:19PM

Yeah, I know. I know.

But sometimes I just can't help myself. He's just so damn stupid!

Posted by: French Rage (---.s1467.apx2.lnhdc.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: July 29, 2004 09:46PM

[Q]Facetimer Wrote:

If Schaefer is so good, how to you go from the frozen four to out of the tournament the next year in a weaker conference?[/q]

If he's so bad, how did he manage to get us into the Frozen Four the previous year? As for going from the Frozen Four to out of the tournament, it's called a rebuilding year dumbass. Given what we lost in the '03 seniors and Leneveu, I don't think anyone who actually pays attention to the team, which apparently does not include you, expected them to repeat their performance. A majority of preseason estimates had us somewhere in the middle of the ECAC, so a late season run putting us in a 2nd was decent considering the youth and inexperience on the team.

Go back to Long Island.

Date: July 30, 2004 09:08AM

how dumb can you be jeh25? Don't you know I live for your troll sign? You are "feeding" me by posting that you idiot, yet you have the nerve to mock jeff hopkins '82, a much more respected poster. Why would you do that? And could you please tell me what exactley you were thinking at the moment you decided to google search an image of a troll doll to show me up? That must be classic.

Date: July 30, 2004 09:18AM

You're right French Rage, I know nothing about hockey at all. I really have no knowledge of the game, I just pretend I do to make myself feel good. I'm not familair with the term "rebuilding" either, I thought the team you root for every year has to win it all........... (dripping with sarcasm) He still had superior talent, and superior advantages. Bowling Green tied us at home. Bowling Green. He is not a good coach, his rotations are questionable, the team is undisciplined, HE is undisciplined and a hypocrite. The line pairings make no sense at all. If he was such a good coach why would he have wasted the abbots talents playing with hornby- having a down year- when he had the physical force in Hynes being wasted on a lower line? hmmm....... Why could O'Byrne not stay out of the pentalty box for one dam second even though he played soft out there? Why did he rotate point men on the power play to the point where lack of consistency had us killing our own powerplays with miscommunication and indecision? Yeah real good coach, and a good guy to boot. Now I don't know what your personal vandetta is against me (maybe if you had a date to the prom you wouldn't be so bitter) but when you make fun of long island that just really hurts. In the future please keep all personal attacks directed at me and away from geographic areas, thanks.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2004 10:26AM

Even though I disagree with you on Shafer's merits as a coach, what are you expecting?

We've had awesome recruiting classes the past few years. He has a defensive system that works. He has four NCAA tournament appearances under his belt.

You might even be right about his game management being questionable, but the talent he brings to Ithaca is truly commendable. I don't think that is something you sacrifice or take lightly when you are in the budding metropolis of Ithaca, NY (and you have you hands tied with academics and scholarships). Jim Boeheim has never been regarded as a good "bench" coach, but the guys who can recruit -- and Shafer is one of them -- are going to get you a heck of a lot of Ws.

Even guys like York, Parker, and Lucia have down years -- and Shafer's not really in that class yet. Give him a bit more time with last years class, before you write his career off as a sham.

Also, who do you think wants to coach here? I don't think that Scotty Bowman is particularly interested in coming to Ithaca.

Posted by: French Rage (---.s1076.apx2.lnhdc.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: July 31, 2004 07:34PM

Hmm, I don't ever recall saying he was the greatest coach ever and infallible. The BG/OSU weekend wasnt the greatest in memory, but the team structure was still coalescing and we were up against western teams with a different playing style than Schafer and the team were used to. The which players on which lines arguments is something pretty much everyone is going to disagree on, so maybe your changes might have worked but hindsight is 20/20 and it's pretty easy for anyone to say when something goes wrong that is should have been done different.

Last year was defintely not Schafer's defining season, but it's somewhat close-minded to base his entire career on what was an off and rebuilding year. If he supposedly has great talent and does nothing, that doesnt explain the team performace in 2002 and 2003 (not to mention 96 and 97), which defintely exceeded everyone's expectations. Let's wait until March of this coming year and see what he does.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 31, 2004 10:10PM

Can we put the "Blah blah blah" filter back on Facetimer? It really saved time in my day. :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login