Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Recruit

Posted by CU Fan 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Recruit
Posted by: CU Fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2004 06:12PM

Matt Connors, a Junior at Nichols School inBuffalo has committed to Cornell. H e will begin play in the 2005 season.

Re: New Recruit
Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2004 06:19PM

Who? Do you have any stats on him? Position? How town? Etc.:-)

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: July 22, 2004 06:47PM

All I could find on the kid is that he plays RW and is 6'1", and played on the gold medal winning 'western new york' team in the empire state games.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 22, 2004 07:05PM

Is this kid Larry Pierce v3.0? (Sammy P being the new & improved Larry Pierce v2.0)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 22, 2004 07:15PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Is this kid Larry Pierce v3.0? (Sammy P being the new & improved Larry Pierce v2.0)[/q]

Hmm... if Larry Pierce v1.0 had a sister who won the Hockey Humanitarian Award, and Larry Pierce v2.0 won it himself, does that mean Larry Pierce v3.0 will have to win it twice?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: July 22, 2004 08:43PM

The 2005 season is the upcoming (04-05) season. Presumably, this guy is coming in Fall '05.

Posted by: Mark (---.z064002065.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: July 23, 2004 10:50AM

A little more info:

6’1”, 195 lb. Matt Connors, a fast, high-scoring wing with Nichols School and the Buffalo Saints midget major team, has committed to Cornell for the fall of ’05.

Connors, a right shot from Buffalo Grove, NY, is a big get for Cornell. He’s an exciting player who creates numerous chances with his speed, often breaking free for a breakaway. His size and ability to finish round out the picture. Last year, Connors played a combined 70 games for Nichols and the Saints, and finished with a 78-51-129 line. The other schools in Connors’ final five were Maine, Michigan State, Yale, and Dartmouth.

Do speed and Cornell go together? ;-)

Date: July 23, 2004 11:32AM

Beating out Maine and Michgian State is sweet.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 23, 2004 11:54AM

Hey, beating out Yale and Dartmouth is pretty good too. Obviously, I want better players to go to the ECAC, but if they're going to go the ECAC, they'd better come to Cornell! :-D

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2004 12:14PM

ignore.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2004 12:14PM by RichH.

Posted by: excellent (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: July 23, 2004 12:58PM

I believe the Nichols School is a prep school in Massachussetts. Did he graduate from there, and then move onto Buffalo for Juniors? It's about time Schafer picked up a solid prep player, Paolini being the last one.

Posted by: ben03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2004 01:38PM

The Nichols School is in Buffalo not Massachussetts (and they def play quality hockey).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: July 23, 2004 02:10PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

The Nichols School is in Buffalo not Massachussetts (and they def play quality hockey).[/q]
Right.

The 67-68 team played in a holiday tournament at Nichols against Waterloo and Toronto. The 1-0 OT win against the latter was very meaningful to the players as Toronto was the defending Canadian college champion and Cornell the defending American champ, and most of the Cornell team hailed from Ontario.

Posted by: Avash (---.wright.edu)
Date: July 23, 2004 02:21PM

[Q]Mark Wrote:

He’s an exciting player who creates numerous chances with his speed, often breaking free for a breakaway. His size and ability to finish round out the picture. [/q]

So I guess, in a couple of years, we might score a shorthanded goal! nut

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.avec-ubr13.nyr-avec.ny.cable.r)
Date: July 23, 2004 07:19PM

With prep school numbers like that, he looks like Ryan Moynihan v2.0. Let's hope he has an even better Cornell career (note: not meant to disparage Moynihan in any way).

Posted by: MNetravali (---.mc.duke.edu)
Date: July 25, 2004 07:44AM

Didn't Jason Dailey '98 come from the Nichols School?
Boy are we going to be nasty these next few years. It won't be long before we are the clear-cut premier program in the league (like Harvard 80's and Clarkson 90's).

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: July 25, 2004 10:57AM

Tim Vanini was a Nichols School grad.

Posted by: JT (---.mc.duke.edu)
Date: July 25, 2004 11:07AM

Both Dailey and Vanini went to Nichols. Another thing they have in common: Both made bad clearing attempts that directly led to opponents scoring GW OT goals against us. Vanini in 1991 against SLU in the ECAC semis, and Dailey in 1997 against Yale at home.
Lets hope Connors does not follow this tradition.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (24.49.98.---)
Date: July 25, 2004 11:10AM

[Q]JT Wrote:

Both Dailey and Vanini went to Nichols. Another thing they have in common: Both made bad clearing attempts that directly led to opponents scoring GW OT goals against us. Vanini in 1991 against SLU in the ECAC semis, and Dailey in 1997 against Yale at home.
Lets hope Connors does not follow this tradition.[/q]
I remember all too well the infamous Dailey pass-through-the-slot resulting in a goal that time. I think that's the only time I ever heard a Cornell player booed by its own fans.

Cheers,
Kyle

Correction
Posted by: JT (---.mc.duke.edu)
Date: July 25, 2004 11:11AM

My bad, Vanini ran into Jim Crozier (our goalie) resulting the GW goal being scored.

Re: Correction
Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: July 26, 2004 09:48AM

But Vanini also scored a game-tying goal against Harvard at Lynah in the regular season, off a face-off with a few seconds to go, back when anything other than a loss by Cornell was unexpected (2/9/91).

Other Nichols alums include Peter Ciavaglia (Harvard; IMO, best player on 1989 NCAA champion), Scott Thomas (Clarkson), Ryan Sittler (Michigan and son of Darryl) and Jeff Schulman (Vermont; scored winning goal vs. eventual national champ Harvard in 1989 ECAC semifinals). And OT, Christian Laettner.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: July 26, 2004 11:34AM

If Connors is as good as Jason Dailey, I would be thrilled. Even if he gives up a game winning goal a few times. Jason played an integral part of the team that got us the '96 and '97 championships.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2004 06:25PM

But has Cornell committed to Matt Connors? In theory, at least, one has to apply, Cornell checks out your grades and SATs, and says yea or nay, sometimes as early as December, but not in July. Or is this a deferred admission (although your note says he's a junior, so probably not)?

I'm a little hazy on how many wildcard admissions the coaches get now, if this still exists, but I think the applicant still has to have some academic functionality so he can get through Cornell.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 26, 2004 07:30PM

It could mean that the kid has strong enough grades/scores that he's very likely to be admitted when he does apply, even if he hasn't yet.

Posted by: MikeR (---.cpe.ga.charter.com)
Date: September 20, 2004 10:25PM

Salmon Arm SilverBacks release....

Evan Barlow Secures NCAA Scholarship
September 20th, 2004: Second year forward Evan Barlow has accepted a Division 1 NCAA Scholarship with Cornell University in New York. Barlow will begin his first season with the Cornel Big Red next September. Evan will join former SilverBack player Mitch Carefoot who was drafted earlier this summer by the Atlanta Thrashers in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. Cornell University is located in thaca, New York. Evan played in 56 games last season for the SilverBacks scoring 22 goals, 29 assists for 51 points and 129 penalty minutes. Barlow wears #39 for the Backs

[www.sasilverbacks.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: September 21, 2004 12:00AM

[Q]MikeR Wrote:

Salmon Arm SilverBacks release....

Evan Barlow Secures NCAA Scholarship
September 20th, 2004: Second year forward Evan Barlow has accepted a Division 1 NCAA Scholarship with Cornell University in New York. Barlow will begin his first season with the Cornel Big Red next September. Evan will join former SilverBack player Mitch Carefoot who was drafted earlier this summer by the Atlanta Thrashers in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. Cornell University is located in thaca, New York. Evan played in 56 games last season for the SilverBacks scoring 22 goals, 29 assists for 51 points and 129 penalty minutes. Barlow wears #39 for the Backs[/Q]
[www.sasilverbacks.com][/q]

I know we're supposed to give Canadians a free pass on their inability to distinguish between an athletic scholarship and financial aid, but can we at least ask that they consistently spell "Cornell" (and "Ithaca";) correctly? nut

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: September 28, 2004 02:54PM

A projected recruit listed on [www.ontariodraft.com] , Matt Beca of Oakville. I think they are saying that they think he will commit to Cornell, not that it has happened.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---)
Date: September 28, 2004 03:06PM

Matt Beca-RC Oakville (OPJHL) 5'10 160 3-6-86

2004-2005 STATS:
38-16-26-42-21

2003-2004 STATS:
49-15-30-45-30

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: September 28, 2004 03:32PM

As I understand the system, coaches "commit" to recruits in the sense that they advise admissions that a particular player is a "recruited" player (at one of the schools my son has dealt with, the coach referred to it as "sponsoring" the student athlete for admissions). The player still has to be admitted based on university admission standards (meeting the academic index, etc.), but being a recruited athlete is plus (a big plus, I suspect) in the file.

Date: September 28, 2004 04:47PM

I was looking for information about Matt Beca, checking to see if he was listed on Heisenberg's undrafted players section..and was checking out who had/hadn't committed in the USNTDP.

Anyway, I found this bit in a on hockeyscouting.ca article about a highly regarded d-man in the NTDP. He's an upstate kid (grew up in Auburn, played for a junior club in Syracuse):

[www.hockeyscouting.ca]

Chad Morin on what College he is planning to attend:

"I haven't made a decision, and right now, I'm not leaning towards any particular schools. I don't really see the need for early commitments, but now it's getting to that point in my school career where I have to start looking into some schools. Obviously schools like BU and BC are top notch, as well as other Hockey East clubs like Maine or New Hampshire. Cornell is a first class school with a great program real close to home. To be completely honest, I just don't know yet. I like to stay focused on one thing at a time, and right now that's getting ready to go for next season. The rest should fall into place."

and then saw in the comments that people believe he's deciding between BU, BC and Cornell. (yes it required poking through the html source since the google cache of the article breaks the javascript.)

Posted by: Robb (---.187.38.223.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: September 29, 2004 08:48AM

If I recall correctly, Morin is somehow related (cousin, perhaps?) of JD Forrest of BC. My cousins grew up with them in Auburn, and as JD's career was progressing, they'd always say, "but Chad is supposed to be better..."

Posted by: Winny (38.117.178.---)
Date: September 29, 2004 12:48PM

BC doesn't have room for Morin, they're filled at defense next year and the following:

Sr.Peter Harrold So.Todd Perry
Fr.Brett Motherwell So.Mike Brennan
Fr.Tim Kunes Fr.Tim Filangieri
Fr.Anthony Aiello So.Brian O'Hanley

BU has one spot:

Sr.Jekabs Rehdlis Jr.Sean Sullivan
So.Dan McGoff Jr.Kevin Schaeffer
Sr.Danny Spang Fr.______
Jr.Thomas Morrow So.Kevin Kielt

Date: October 02, 2004 11:01AM

Cornell will need to replace Downs and Cook next year. Thus far we have commitments and projections from no defensemen: [www.tbrw.info]

Date: October 02, 2004 12:54PM

Certainly a defenseman or two need to be added, but they'll still be in good shape with Gleed (greatly exceeded expectations last year, IMO), O'Byrne, Glover, Krantz, Pokuluk, and Salmela. O'Byrne will theoretically be a top pair guy as could Gleed and possibly Krantz. Again, they will need to add one or two defensemen, but they'll still be alright evan after losing Downs and Cook.

Stats Update on 2005 Prospects
Date: October 05, 2004 04:22AM

- Barlow is off to a bit of a slow start stats-wise with 1 goal and 2 assists in 6 games and is 7th on Salmon Arm in scoring. He has missed 3 games either due to injury or being scratched (most likely the former).
- Nanaimo is off to an outstanding start going 8-1 thus far. Mugford still seems to be in a checking role as he is 8th in team scoring with 4 goals and 2 assists in 9 games.
- I can't find Connors' numbers anywhere. He is listed as playing for Applecore at Heisenberg's site but he is not on the roster so I don't know where he is.
- Matt Beca (not on Heisenberg's site yet for Cornell) is off to good start with 6 goals and 6 assists in in 5 games for 4th in team scoring.
- Chad Morin (another non-guaruntee for Cornell) has 1 goal and 2 assists in 5 games with the U18 team.

Date: October 05, 2004 04:35AM

Connors line of 9/26 is 10-1-5-6-6. See [www.applecorejunior.com]

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 05, 2004 10:22AM

Connors is out 4 weeks w/ some unspecified injury [from applecorejunior.com]. He recorded 3 assists in the game before he was injured.

from sasilverbacks.com:
"Evan Barlow received a match penalty at 9:48 of the 3rd period for a vicious cross check and is out of the SilverBacks lineup for a minimum of three games."

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: October 05, 2004 12:14PM

doesn't sound like he was the one being injured...

Posted by: Go Red (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 05, 2004 02:41PM

Not very impressive at all when you look at some of the other guys' numbers.

Date: October 05, 2004 02:50PM

[Q]Go Red Wrote:

Not very impressive at all when you look at some of the other guys' numbers.[/q]

Was thinking the same thing but it is early in the season. It should be noted that Beca and Morin both seem to be first rate prospects and getting both of them would totally change the complexion of the recruiting class. With both of them, all of the sudden, the other guys are all solid pickups instead of average ones.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2004 03:15PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.equityresources.com)
Date: October 12, 2004 02:03PM

New recruit Evan the vicious cross-checker is the brother of Harvard's Blair the...

Posted by: Beanpot (---.stmary.ws)
Date: October 21, 2004 01:31PM

Connors' stats have not been updated from the OHA tournament I believe. His stats should be 10gp-2-11-13pts. Hope that helps. Go Big Red!!!

Date: October 25, 2004 10:54AM

Evan Barlow came back from the suspension and has been getting his stat line back in order. A 3 assist game was followed by a 2 goal 1 assist game and most recently a 2 goal 2 assist game.

his line is now 9-6-7-13-19

[www.sasilverbacks.com]

Date: November 01, 2004 09:13AM

I just found out from a usually reliable source that Cornell has received a commitment from Colin Greening of Upper Canada College (a prep school in Toronto). I suppose that I should be happy that he's going to an ECAC school, but I am not since Cornell beat out RPI among others. :`(

last year's stats from USHR 32-41-73
LW 6' 1 180 03/09/86 St. John's, NL Canada

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 10:35AM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:

I just found out from a usually reliable source that Cornell has received a commitment from Colin Greening of Upper Canada College (a prep school in Toronto). I suppose that I should be happy that he's going to an ECAC school, but I am not since Cornell beat out RPI among others.

last year's stats from USHR 32-41-73
LW 6' 1 180 03/09/86 St. John's, NL Canada [/q]

Just out of curiosity, how did you find this out? USHR?

Date: November 01, 2004 10:54AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how did you find this out? USHR?[/q] As I said "a usually reliable source". :-D USHR mentioned that Clarkson, Cornell, and RPI were in the hunt for Greening some time ago. They haven't mentioned him since then.

Congrats to Cornell for getting him. From everything that I can determine, he is an excellent player.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 12:26PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how did you find this out? USHR?[/Q]
As I said "a usually reliable source". USHR mentioned that Clarkson, Cornell, and RPI were in the hunt for Greening some time ago. They haven't mentioned him since then.

Congrats to Cornell for getting him. From everything that I can determine, he is an excellent player.[/q]

So this is early Early Decision?

Date: November 01, 2004 04:40PM

FWIW, Heisenberg's site is now listing Greening for Cornell. I doubt this makes it any more official than ursaminor's info did, and for all we know it was plucked from here/uscho.

[members.aol.com]

Date: November 01, 2004 04:45PM

Well in their defense, I have never seen a recruit listed there that did not end up being accurate so I'll take his reporting as near-fact. Based on Ursaminor's past posts, he definitely has a legitimate inside track and will take his reporting as near-fact as well.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2004 04:55PM

Chris Heisenberg is usually a reliable source. ;-)

(There is, of course, his grandfather's uncertainty principle, so you can't be sure. :-})

Date: November 02, 2004 04:19PM

Heisenberg lists another Cornell recuit, that being Mike Kennedy out of the Western Ontario League. I think it's Junior B. He's 6'2, 175 with 17-9-26 in 46 games last year.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 02, 2004 05:40PM

I just dont get that. Very modest numbers in a Junior B league and he gets recruited to one of the best schools and teams in the nation? why?

Date: November 02, 2004 06:14PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

I just dont get that. Very modest numbers in a Junior B league and he gets recruited to one of the best schools and teams in the nation? why?[/q]

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he fits a certain role very well.
One has to think they are done looking for forwards for next year with five committed already and only three graduating. That would give Cornell 17 forwards next year. Seems like too many. Maybe a couple of those guys are for 2006.

Date: November 02, 2004 06:42PM

You can't judge the package from the numbers. He may be the greatest faceoff man since Nieuwy. He may be a checking demon on skates.

Posted by: schoaff (---.atl.megapath.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:34PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

The Nichols School is in Buffalo not Massachussetts (and they def play quality hockey).[/q]

If anyone remembers him I believe Phil Nobel, a player from the late 80's early 90's was from Nichols as well.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:48PM

26 points in 46 games as a forward? Defenseman?

Date: November 02, 2004 08:56PM

listed as a center

Date: November 03, 2004 04:56AM

Colin Greening and Matt Connors made the NHL CSB Players to Watch list [centralscouting.nhl.com]

If it asks:

username: public access
password: hockey 2004

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 11:37AM

It's theoretically possible to move a guy back from F to D.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 07:49PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

It's theoretically possible to move a guy back from F to D.[/q]Wow, I guess so:-P . The reason I mentioned on another thread, that I was interested in Dan Lodboa's #14 jersey, was because of that very point. He was a good forward on the 67-68 team, as a soph. The next season Coach Harkness "moved him back" to D. All he did was to become an All-American, at D, for the 1970 team. Not that those things are as likely in modern ;-) times, but it certainly worked then. As an aside, that same year, 68-69, Coach Harkness moved Steve Giuliani from D to F.

Date: November 04, 2004 10:01PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

Greg Berge Wrote:

It's theoretically possible to move a guy back from F to D.[/Q]
Wow, I guess so . The reason I mentioned on another thread, that I was interested in Dan Lodboa's #14 jersey, was because of that very point. He was a good forward on the 67-68 team, as a soph. The next season Coach Harkness "moved him back" to D. All he did was to become an All-American, at D, for the 1970 team. Not that those things are as likely in modern times, but it certainly worked then. As an aside, that same year, 68-69, Coach Harkness moved Steve Giuliani from D to F.[/q]

Harry Orr was another All-American D whom Ned moved from F. I think Bruce Pattison might have been a forward before his varsity tenure as well. My recollection on Giuliani is the reverse, Jim. Last year's media guide lists him as a W in 67-68 and 68-69, and then a D/W in 69-70.

I'm guessing the transition would be tougher today than it was then, but I'm not sure I can give any good reasons why.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 10:07PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Jim Hyla Wrote:

Greg Berge Wrote:

It's theoretically possible to move a guy back from F to D.[/Q]
Wow, I guess so . The reason I mentioned on another thread, that I was interested in Dan Lodboa's #14 jersey, was because of that very point. He was a good forward on the 67-68 team, as a soph. The next season Coach Harkness "moved him back" to D. All he did was to become an All-American, at D, for the 1970 team. Not that those things are as likely in modern times, but it certainly worked then. As an aside, that same year, 68-69, Coach Harkness moved Steve Giuliani from D to F.[/Q]
Harry Orr was another All-American D whom Ned moved from F. I think Bruce Pattison might have been a forward before his varsity tenure as well. My recollection on Giuliani is the reverse, Jim. Last year's media guide lists him as a W in 67-68 and 68-69, and then a D/W in 69-70.

I'm guessing the transition would be tougher today than it was then, but I'm not sure I can give any good reasons why.[/q]Al, I got my info from the old Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter. As an aside, did you ever get that? It was published for years by Don T. Birkmayer, out of Troy. Anyway, his Nov. 26, 1968 edition lists Giuliani as switched fron defense. I'll try and look it up further, but not now,

Date: November 04, 2004 10:29PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:
Al, I got my info from the old Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter. As an aside, did you ever get that? It was published for years by Don T. Birkmayer, out of Troy. Anyway, his Nov. 26, 1968 edition lists Giuliani as switched fron defense. I'll try and look it up further, but not now,[/q]
I remember the Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter, but never subscribed.

As I recall, when Ned switched Orr to defense, he moved Paul Althouse from defense to forward--so there was at least one "reverse" conversion. Interesting swap. Speed and quickness from F to D; size from D to F.

Date: November 05, 2004 02:27PM

FWIW, Don Birkmayer, the longtime RPI PA announcer, retired a few years ago and moved to Ithaca of all places.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 04:20PM

Lodboa played left wing his entire sopomore year, '67-'68, then played only left defense thereafter. At the beginning of his junior year he had no shot from the point whatsoever, to the point where it was almost comical. However, all of the sudden (I'm sure after a lot of practice), he had this great slapshot which showed up at a Christmas break tournament in Boston. Everyone had been overplaying Bruce Pattison, who had an awesome shot from the right point, and this made us absolutely awesome with the two of them out there, especially on the power play. I remember returning to Ithaca after the break to report the good news about Lodboa's development.
As far as Giuliani, he also started as a forward, and my recollection is that he moved back mid-way through his sophomore year, after playing on a line with Garth Ryan and John Hughes for the first half of the season. Based upon what others have said here, perhaps it was the middle of his junior year though. However, other than Pattison, Giuliani, Lodboa and Lowe, I can't think of any other defenseman for the '68-'69 year (maybe Ian Orr but he didn't get any playing time), so I think the change came earlier, and I'm sure it was a mid-year switch for him.

Date: November 05, 2004 05:16PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

However, other than Pattison, Giuliani, Lodboa and Lowe, I can't think of any other defenseman for the '68-'69 year (maybe Ian Orr but he didn't get any playing time), so I think the change came earlier, and I'm sure it was a mid-year switch for him.[/q]
The roster in last year's media guide shows Richard Fullan as a defenseman in 68-69, but I have no recollection of him playing. Of the four you named above, two (Lodboa and Giuliani) started their Cornell careers as forwards, and somewhere I believe I read Pattison was at one time a forward, too (but that could also be totally inaccurate).

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 05:44PM

FWIW, I have the program for the Cornell game at RPI on 12/4/68 (won by RPI in OT, BTW :-D ) showing the following defensemen dressed for Cornell: Lowe, Fullan, Lodboa, Duthie, Pattison, and Orr. Fullan and Pattison started.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 05:49PM

[Q] Al wrote:
I believe I read Pattison was at one time a forward, too (but that could also be totally inaccurate). [/Q]
I believe the only time Bruce played forward on the varsity was a game at Colgate in '68-'69 where he played center, which seemed strange to all of us there, and almost like Ned and Bruce decided to have a little fun against a weaker opponent. We won 7-0 and he played well. He may have been a forward as a freshman though.

Date: November 05, 2004 06:04PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

Al wrote:
I believe I read Pattison was at one time a forward, too (but that could also be totally inaccurate). [/Q]
I believe the only time Bruce played forward on the varsity was a game at Colgate in '68-'69 where he played center, which seemed strange to all of us there, and almost like Ned and Bruce decided to have a little fun against a weaker opponent. We won 7-0 and he played well. He may have been a forward as a freshman though.[/q]
Sorry. I meant to say either before he came to Cornell or perhaps as a freshman. Ned did like mobile, active defensemen who could join in the offense. His forwards were well-trained--under fear of God-knows-what--to swing back and cover for a rushing or pinching defenseman.

Date: November 09, 2004 12:50PM

I emailed the guy who runs ontariodraft.com, curious if he had any more solid info about Matt Beca, and he said:

"Our guess is as good as yours to be honest, that
article was meant to be a fun pre-season projection,
and for the most part, has no inside track whatsoever
... it was an educated guess. One thing is for sure,
where ever Matt ends up, he'll be a dandy. Very solid
hockey player."

So it looks like that projection doesn't carry too much weight :)

Also, Evan Barlow's scoring line is now:
13-9-8-17, good for 2nd on the team in ppg.

Mike Kennedy's current line:
16-7-9-16

Date: November 11, 2004 02:11PM

both this:

[www.bchl.bc.ca]

and this:

[www.ajhl.ca]

list a new recruit, currently playing with the Drayton Valley Thunder of the AJHL.

Taylor Davenport
DEFENCE
HT: 5'10" WT: 175
D.O.B.: Apr. 15,1985
HOMETOWN: Okotoks, AB

so far this year:
21-4-8-12-42

One of his teammates was just picked up by Princeton.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: November 11, 2004 02:18PM

Good to see it's a defenseman. At 5'10, he could very well be the Downs replacement.
One has to think one or two of the five forwards listed for next year will not come until 2006. If all five come and there are no more forwards added, then that would give the team 17 forwards. That sure seems like a lot.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2004 02:19PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: littleredfan (170.148.92.---)
Date: November 11, 2004 02:34PM

Does this mean we'll have two T. Davenport's (although one will be in net) and two C. Abbott's? Let confusion reign

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 02:38PM

Well, they're certainly not related - separated by 1000+ miles and only three months at birth.

Date: November 16, 2004 05:06PM

Davenport has been added on Heisenberg's website. Interesting to note that the date listed for his commitment is June 2nd, yet he was just added.

Date: December 06, 2004 06:18PM

Updated recruit stats:

Evan Barlow is #3 in scoring on the Salmon Arm Silverbacks:
21-18-13-31

Matt Connors had a hat trick last weekend, I think this stat line is old:
18-6-8-14

Mike Kennedy
23-11-14-25

Taylor Davenport
30-5-10-15

Colin Greening is tough to find stats on, UCC doesn't have much of an athletics web presence. So it's hard to judge the recruiting class since the two 'A' prospects of the class were either injured for a large part of the season (Connors) or have no stats online (Greening).

from an older ushr.com bit about Greening:

"Upper Canada College star power forward Colin Greening, a 6’1” LW from St. John’s, Newfoundland, has reportedly been offered a full scholarship by RPI. Clarkson and Cornell are also in the picture…"

Date: December 06, 2004 09:18PM

I think Greening could end up being a Moulson-type guy that comes in under the radar from a Junior B team.
Barlow appears to have the potential to be a big time scorer.

Posted by: billy bob (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 09:58PM

I agree that barlow has big scoring potential but Moulson haad over 100 points in junior B's and she was the league MVP. but yea i think he probly is going to be pretty good just not another Moulson.

Date: December 07, 2004 12:00AM

[Q]billy bob Wrote:

I agree that barlow has big scoring potential but Moulson haad over 100 points in junior B's and she was the league MVP. but yea i think he probly is going to be pretty good just not another Moulson.[/q]

Well then maybe Connors will be another Moulson because his numbers last year in Junior B were unbelievable at 78 goals and 51 assists in 70 games.

Posted by: billy bob (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 02:03PM

Ive seem video of connors from the salmon arm website and he looks like a vesce type player.

Posted by: atb9 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 02:54PM

what does that mean? Because I don't remember Connors being tiny. Over six feet, right? And almost 200 pounds? Sounds very un-Vesce like. Is he a faceoff guy? Does he control the puck? Is he a hitter with that weight?

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: December 07, 2004 02:55PM

Billy Bob was probably writing about Evan Barlow, who plays for the Salmon Arm Silverbacks.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 03:13PM

I'll take another Moulson (and how many times have we said that before...), but projecting scoring between levels is notoriously hit or miss. The alltime leading scorer in the Canadian juniors, beyond Gretzky, Bossy, or Lemieux, is the immortal Patrice Lefebvre.

Posted by: billy bob (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 07:11PM

i meant barlow. sorry

Posted by: atb9 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 07:18PM

no worries, I should have spotted the mix up with the name and team and put things together but I didn't.

Date: December 30, 2004 11:26AM

Evan Barlow had a good night the other night, 3 goals and 2 assists against the Vernon Vipers.

From the BCHL forum:
"(Salmon Arm) Evan Barlow (3 goals & 2 assists) was by far the Silverbacks best player, Barlow had tones of ice to use his speed and skill to create lots of great scoring chances."

Date: January 08, 2005 02:03PM

Nothing new on Heisenberg's site, but since Cornell is still light on incoming blueliners, this guy would be the perfect addition to the defensive corps :-) :

Joe Finley-LD Sioux Falls (USHL) 6'7 226 6-29-88
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2005 02:04PM by Greg Berge.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 02:07PM

put a camera on his helmet and Coach can get some great birds eye film to review! Wow, that is tall. Maybe he can play some powerforward and tight end?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 02:31PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Nothing new on Heisenberg's site, but since Cornell is still light on incoming blueliners, this guy would be the perfect addition to the defensive corps :

Joe Finley-LD Sioux Falls (USHL) 6'7 226 6-29-88

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/08/05 02:04PM by Greg Berge.[/q]

If that guy came to Cornell, it would probably give them the biggest blueline in North America, including NHL.

One thing is for sure, Cornell needs to add at least one more blueliner to the recruiting class.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2005 02:35PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 05:43PM

He's from S. Dakota. Power forward is out. He can't jump. rolleyes

Date: January 08, 2005 05:49PM

The freaky part is he's still just 16. By the time he stops growing... help

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 06:01PM

...he can play center. They don't need to jump.

Date: January 11, 2005 04:24PM

ok, here we go:

[www.nanaimoclippers.com]

First year Nanaimo Clipper Defenseman Jared Seminoff has accepted an offer to attend Cornell University in the Fall of 2005. Jared has registered 5 goals and 16 assists in his innaugural season with the Clippers and will be joining current teammate Tyler Mugford in Cornell next season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2005 04:30PM by pfibiger.

Date: January 11, 2005 04:30PM

Seminoff was a teammate of Pokulok's last year on the Notre Dame Hounds.

from his nanaimo signing announcement:

Jared Seminoff. 6’ 195 lbs. A 1986 birth date defenseman from Nelson who played the past two seasons for the Notre Dame Hounds Jr. A team. Jared is a friend of Clipper d-man Chris Kestell and comes with strong attributes for an ’86 with over 100 games of Junior A under his belt. Jared is a ‘strong, solid defender with excellent offensive upside and will make an instant impact with his physical play’ says Coach Bestwick. ‘Jared is a first class person, a great athlete and is a prototypical Clipper’ who will instantly become a fan favourite. We look to Jared for his consistent play and decision making ability and will work with Jared to become more involved offensively.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 04:33PM

Gotta love the Nanaimo pipeline.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 04:34PM

my column this week talks about the need to sign at least one more blueliner. i expect one more still.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2005 05:45PM by calgARI '07.

Date: January 11, 2005 04:37PM

I don't know how reliable this is, and it may be for '06 instead of '05...but someone on the USCHO thread about Wisconsin recruiting said this about Chad Morin:

"Are you sure we are still in the running for Morin? I was told Cornell had the inside track on him."

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 04:42PM

Morin with Davenport and now Seminoff would be an outstanding defensive group and it would give Cornell one of the top recruiting classes in the NCAA.

[OT] '05 Michigan Tech recruits looking like big red recruits???
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 05:44PM

Looks like former Big Red assistant coach Jamie Russell plans on taking the "size" coveted by Coach Schafer out west to the Huskies.
Take a look at his recruits:
John Schwarz-RD (12/31/04) Ft.McMurray (AJHL)
6'3 210 -85

Michael Teslak-G (12/24/04) Prince George (BCHL)
6'3 205 -85

Justin St.Louis-RC (11/17/04) Trail (BCHL)
6'2 180 4-9-85

$Philip Axtell-RW (11/10/03) Cedar Rapids (USHL)
6'5 255 8-13-86

$Eli Vlaisavljevich-D (10/18/03) Lincoln (USHL)
5'11 176 11-3-85

Re: [OT] '05 Michigan Tech recruits looking like big red recruits???
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 06:07PM

Wow, their goalie, Teslak, is bigger than one the defender, Vlaisavljevich (and his name)...I don't think he'll be hitting people...unless Teslak pulls a Leeor Shtrom

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login