Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quinnipiac in

Posted by CU fan 
Quinnipiac in
Posted by: CU fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2004 06:08PM

check out uscho.com

Re: Quinnipiac in
Posted by: O.S.B. (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2004 12:59AM

Posted by: Big Red Colonel (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 15, 2004 08:59AM

This is awful. I think we should change our name to Atlantic Hockey II. I had really hoped that Holy Cross' tradition and academic quality would trump all of the other factors. Our league is struggling and this move will only make the Big Three stand out further. I hope Quinny proves me wrong - they have plans for a new arena and seem really committed to their program - but I can just never see them belonging in this list:

Cornell
Clarkson
RPI
St. Lawrence
Harvard ... and ...

Quinnipiac?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.focaldata.net)
Date: July 15, 2004 09:48AM

Anyone care to speculate on travel pairings? Despite being close, pairing Yale and Quinnipiac doesn't work well for Princeton and Dartmouth.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2004 10:01AM

Dartmouth-Harvard, Brown-Princeton, Yale-Quinnipiac?

Posted by: Greg Berge (65.202.253.---)
Date: July 15, 2004 10:23AM

If QU is going to play all its games on the road, you might want to deliberately not match them with Yale, so you could have them play their "home" games at Yale and schedule Yale away during those times.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bc.edu)
Date: July 15, 2004 10:24AM

Dartmouth-Harvard, Yale-Princeton, Brown-Quinnipiac - anything else is not logical. Brown would probably have been paired with HC had the ECAC gone that route.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.med.yale.edu)
Date: July 15, 2004 10:34AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

If QU is going to play all its games on the road, you might want to deliberately not match them with Yale, so you could have them play their "home" games at Yale and schedule Yale away during those times.[/q]

Except that is when the Yale women typically play.

Otherwise, that makes sense, especially with the New Haven Coliseum gone.

Other choices include the Hartford Civic Center, which would have to be shared with both the Wolfpack and some UConn basketball games or maybe the Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, which would have to be shared with the the Sound Tigers.

Anyway you slice it, CT has plenty of ice, but they'd have to share.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 15, 2004 05:49PM

[Q]Big Red Colonel Wrote:

This is awful. I think we should change our name to Atlantic Hockey II. I had really hoped that Holy Cross' tradition and academic quality would trump all of the other factors. Our league is struggling and this move will only make the Big Three stand out further. I hope Quinny proves me wrong - they have plans for a new arena and seem really committed to their program - but I can just never see them belonging in this list:

Cornell
Clarkson
RPI
St. Lawrence
Harvard ... and ...

Quinnipiac?[/q]I think they're as likely to belong in that list as Princeton, Brown, or Union. Or Holy Cross, for that matter.

Posted by: beanmaestro (---.ece.ucsb.edu)
Date: July 15, 2004 06:13PM

Is QU with 18 scholarships going to put a better team on the ice than Holy Cross with none? It seems like the two teams have been pretty even the last few years with QU only getting 11. I'd think we'd be happiest having whichever team will be most competitive over the long haul...

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: July 16, 2004 05:39AM

Next question is, who will be the Skating Deer Ticks' first conference win?

Is there any doubt it will be us? Cornell had a terrible time with Army and has had trouble with Union, too. The only real perpetual bottom-dweller they really raked over the coals was Dartmouth during their doldrums.

Posted by: Avash (---.wright.edu)
Date: July 16, 2004 10:17AM

In case anyone's wondering (as I was), Dartmouth is the only ECAC team who will play Quinnipiac THIS season, as they host the Bobcats on Oct. 30.

Posted by: dss28 (---.bos.onnet.us.uu.net)
Date: July 16, 2004 02:59PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Greg Berge Wrote:

If QU is going to play all its games on the road, you might want to deliberately not match them with Yale, so you could have them play their "home" games at Yale and schedule Yale away during those times.[/Q]
Except that is when the Yale women typically play.

Otherwise, that makes sense, especially with the New Haven Coliseum gone.

Other choices include the Hartford Civic Center, which would have to be shared with both the Wolfpack and some UConn basketball games or maybe the Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, which would have to be shared with the the Sound Tigers.

Anyway you slice it, CT has plenty of ice, but they'd have to share.
[/q]
Maybe they'd use Avon Old Farms' facility, or Veteran's Memorial Rink in West Hartford... I don't think the Civic Center would have the desire/availability to host college hockey games (especially given that they're on Friday/Saturday nights... and as you mentioned, they'd already be sharing with the Wolfpack and UCONN Basketball, not to mention concerts and other events)... Or maybe the skating rink in Simsbury that was "built for" Oksana Baiul?

[edit: fixed the spelling of her name]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2004 03:05PM by dss28.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 16, 2004 05:29PM

Good thing they didn't admit Sacred Heart I guess, eh?

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: July 16, 2004 07:12PM

As for why Holy Cross is out, USCHO has been recycling without explaining this "same kind of resources ... according to sources" line, perhaps because they repurposed it from the New Haven Register.

>>> That contradicts an earlier report in the New Haven Register, which indicated that Holy Cross has been tenatively admitted pending a sufficient upgrade to its women's program. According to sources, Holy Cross is not willing at this time to commit the same kind of resources to its women's program as the men's.

(USCHO also keeps recycling a final paragraph from the Register that should this happen (Quinnipiac going into ECAC), it would make sports history as the first time Yale and nearby Quinnipiac play in hockey:

(>>> ... should Quinnipiac ultimately be admitted, it would mark the first time that Quinnipiac and current ECAC member Yale would compete in men's hockey. The two schools are just a handful of miles away from one another in Hamden, Conn., and New Haven, Conn., respectively.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: July 16, 2004 07:23PM

The more I think about it, the more worrisome it seems if the ECAC piles on the teams and the Ivy presidents stick with 29 games. So Quinnipiac plus Holy Cross would be a problem and even worse would be the team that comes after Holy Cross in order to have a "balanced" schedule.

Would the Ivy group vote for more games? Cornell would probably vote for more games if more ECAC teams came in. Dartmouth might go along because it's always winter up there. But one suspects Derek Bok, or whoever sits in his leather wingback chair these days, doesn't think a lot about the right number of games for his hockey team, Brown is too busy correcting instituational racism in the 1800s in Bruinland to worry about something played on a sheet of ice, and Princeton figures the more hockey games you have, the more hockey games you lose. Who knows if Penn and Columbia even vote.

Date: July 17, 2004 12:31AM

It may have to be unanimous. We really don't know a thing about how the Ivies make these decisions.

So far, the ECAC has done nothing but replace UVM with QU (well, they haven't even done that, but it looks like they will). If the conference gets bigger, either it will split into divisions with an uneven number of games, again, or presumably the Ivies will expand their schedule.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2004 06:22AM

If the ECAC grows by a bunch of teams, there's the specter of playing most but not all of your opponents, as in some of the major football conferences. (Big Ten, I believe.) So, say, Cornell plays the Ivies all of them and Mercyurst but not Quinnipiac or Holy Cross. If the two teams you don't play are the league doormats, maybe you finish fifth not fourth in the standings and it affects your playoff seed. Or you wind up tied for first along with a team with a softer schedule.

Date: July 17, 2004 08:41AM

Doubt they'd do it that way. Far more likely is "2 intradivision, 1 interdivision." The reason opponents get skipped in football is there are so few games to play around with (and I agree that it's awful that OK and NE don't play every year).

In a 16 team ECAC with 2 divisions and a 2/1 schedule, Cornell would have 7*2 + 8 = 22 conference games, just like today.

If say all 5 applicants are eventually admitted to create the 16 team ECAC, then assuming the Ivies are a bloc, that might give the following structure:

Ivy

Cor/Prn
Yal/Qpc
Hvd/Drt
Brn/SH

Non-Ivy

Clk/SLU
Col/UC
Mst/Nia
HC/RPI
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2004 08:42AM by Greg Berge.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: July 17, 2004 09:07AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

If say all 5 applicants are eventually admitted to create the 16 team ECAC, then assuming the Ivies are a bloc, that might give the following structure:
[/q]
Swell. :-P If we can't entirely dump the cellar-dwellers, then the ECAC teams I want Cornell to be semi-permanently matched up with are, in order of preference:

Harvard
Clarkson
RPI
Colgate
SLU

with Qpc, HC, Nia, etc. thrown in there somewhere if they prove to have more commitment to building successful hockey programs than the remaining set of perpetual losers. The idea here is to have in-conference games against teams that might actually be good competition/TUC.

Even so, this is my dispreferred solution. Personally, I'd rather Noel/Schafer/et al. recognize that 6/8 schools doesn't make an Ivy championship, tell the ECAC to screw off, and jump ship to Hockey East so nearly all of our conference games would be against teams each of which might contend for the NCAA championship in almost any given year. This is the best route to a strong program, short of removing the 29-game limit and playing even more games against good opponents.

The bottom line: we need to stop playing games against crap teams that don't give our guys any practice for the NCAA's, and get them playing a full season of matchups that approximate what they'll see in the 2nd+ round of the NCAA tournament.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: icethepuck (64.110.51.---)
Date: July 18, 2004 10:18PM

Does the vote have to be unanimous among the 6 ivies that play hockey Div 1, or all the eight ivy league members?

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: July 22, 2004 05:00PM

Please ignore
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2004 05:02PM by RedAR.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2004 08:19PM

anyone else wondering why the vote is taking so long....strange screwy

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: August 23, 2004 09:17PM

Looks like it's official (finally)

(no article to link yet, just on the main page of uscho)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login