Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Next year's line-up

Posted by CU Fan 
Next year's line-up
Posted by: CU Fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2004 04:43PM

Any guesses as to who'll be skating with who next season? Moulson - Sawada - Bitz as a top line? Who with the Abbots?

Re: Next year's line-up
Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2004 05:43PM

I could see Heinz with the abbots to give them size and to speed up there skating ability or possibly Carefoot or McCutcheon (Depending on who plays better in practice/healthy) and a defensive rookie with Downs or "Cookie" to anchor the D. Knopfli might anchor the Moulson line due to his leadership abilities-- Just a thought. All this talk is giving me goosebumps already.

Posted by: brian1 (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 10, 2004 06:04PM

what about the defense pairings ?????

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2004 12:33PM

[q]Heinz[/q]

yark

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2004 04:54PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

Heinz[/Q]
[/q]What? Did he steal your girl?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2004 04:54PM by ugarte.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 11, 2004 06:51PM

Uh, look at the name: Heinz. Next we'll be pairing Kerry with Downs...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2004 01:00AM by KeithK.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: July 11, 2004 11:51PM

"Hynes" is the Cornell player. "Heinz" is the future first lady.

Date: July 12, 2004 03:50PM

My bad! Was in hurry! nut

Date: July 12, 2004 03:53PM

Don't see your suggestions on here! You shouldn't criticize those that do.:-(

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2004 04:00PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Uh, look at the name: Heinz. Next we'll be pairing Kerry with Downs...
Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/12/04 01:00AM by KeithK.[/q]I was asleep at the switch. Sorry Jordan.

Posted by: Bengy (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 13, 2004 02:29PM

whose predicted as next years 6 d-men, its hard too say with such good incoming freshmen on D, with what it look like, there will be lost of changes on D.

peace

Posted by: Bengy (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 13, 2004 02:30PM

whose predicted as next years 6 d-men, its hard too say with such good incoming freshmen on D, with what it look like, there will be lost of changes on D.

peace

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: July 13, 2004 04:02PM

This is me just tossing some darts at a board. Schafer had talked about the possibility of Bitz playing center next year, which seems like it'd change things around.

Moulson-Scott-Bitz
Abbott-Abbott-Hynes
Knoepfli-Carefoot-Sawada
Varteressian/McKeown-Iggulden-McCutcheon

Cook - Glover
Downs - Krantz
O'Byrne - Gleed
Salmela

Posted by: Avash (---.wright.edu)
Date: July 14, 2004 11:13AM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

O'Byrne - Gleed

[/q]

That defensive pairing would make things easy on the Montreal scouts :-)

Posted by: just me (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 14, 2004 06:28PM

i can see both incoming freshmen jumping right into the line-up on defense..
guess we'll wait and see
peace

Date: July 14, 2004 10:01PM

Here is the presumptive roster:

[www.tbrw.info]

Date: July 14, 2004 10:32PM

I couldn't find any posts on Troy Davenport. What is his story? Where does he come from? Will he be able to give McKee games off and not miss a beat coming of the bench?

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: July 14, 2004 10:39PM

Greg,

Jan Pajerski should be scratched from the presumptive roster..there were a couple of discussions including this one about the awards banquet:

[elf.elynah.com]

where it was said that Pajerski won't be returning (to the team).

Mugford deferring a year?
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: July 14, 2004 10:56PM

I thought I'd read that Tyler Mugford was deferring until fall 2005.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: July 15, 2004 09:19AM

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2004 12:36PM

Moulson-Scott-Hynes
Abbott-Abbott-Sawada
Knoepfli-Iggulden-Bitz
Carefoot-Varteressian-McKeown

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2004 01:00PM

None of you think Pegararo will make it back into the lineup?

Posted by: CU Fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2004 01:28PM

No McCutcheon or Pegoraro Ari?

Date: July 17, 2004 04:38PM

Pegoraro has really fallen out of favor with Schafer. He really squandered a huge opportunity last year. Add in that he is in bad physical shape and that there will be one more forward on the team than last year, and I don't see him making it back. Considering his high skill level, I hope he proves me wrong.
Not a fan of McCutcheon. It's pretty hard to make it at this level without size and being as a small physically as he is. I hope he works on both areas but I am under the impression based on heresay that he has had a lot of trouble picking up weight. On the fourth line, I would rather see a player with more physical presence.

Posted by: yumumtopi (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 17, 2004 07:33PM

what are all your thoughts on incoming freshmen on defense, both jumping in the line up concidering their offensive qualities, schafer said himself that that's what he was missing last year, this year a huge whole will be filled
peace

Date: July 17, 2004 10:08PM

I think both of them will be in the top six. the big question is who will come out of the top six. cook and downs definitely will not. So that means one of O'Byrne, Glover, and Gleed will come out if everyone is healthy and assuming Salmela is behind those seven.

Date: July 18, 2004 10:02AM

From his interviews during the year, Schafer seems to believe O'Byrne has a very high ceiling.

Agreed re: McCutheon and Pegoraro. McCutcheon just does not fit into our "N men go into the corner, only one man comes out" system. Pegs needs to earn Schafer's respect back.

Throwing Scott onto the first line right away is the sort of dramatic statement Schafer likes to make! ;-) More likely the freshmen pepper the #2-4 lines and we see a lot of shifting about through January.

I just hope everybody makes it through summer and practice injury-free.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2004 10:04AM by Greg Berge.

Posted by: meh (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 18, 2004 08:14PM

I think both defence will be in the top six. the big question is who will come out of the top six. cook and downs definitely will not. So that means one of O'Byrne, Glover, and Gleed will come out if everyone is healthy and assuming Salmela is behind those seven.

Posted by: Avash (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2004 10:06PM

[Q]meh Wrote:

I think both defence will be in the top six. the big question is who will come out of the top six. cook and downs definitely will not. So that means one of O'Byrne, Glover, and Gleed will come out if everyone is healthy and assuming Salmela is behind those seven.[/q]

Ari couldn't have said it better himself........unless he did ;-)

Date: July 19, 2004 09:48AM

Schafer's goal is to have all four lines capable of scoring consistently. He wants the Abbotts to produce more, so I don't think he'll put Sawada with them (although they played well with Hornby, they should be able to produce like a real second line with someone like Hynes). Also, do you think he'll have his captain playing on the third line? Can Knoepfli play center (with Moulson and Bitz)?

I hear Schafer wasn't pleased with how Bitz hit the wall at the end of the season; he'll have to improve his conditioning to stay on the top line. As for Pegoraro, yes, Schafer was not impressed, but believes that he has the skills to be very productive -- it's up to Pegoraro to work this summer to get his spot back. And with McCutcheon, he was brought in despite the fact his game didn't fit the mold that Greg described, because Schafer feels like the team needs that type of player. Schafer is not going to want to lose that skill set; if Pegoraro doesn't step up (so he can play center with McCutcheon and maybe Sawada), you might see Scott centering for McCutcheon/Sawada.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 19, 2004 11:31AM

My wild guesses at the lines:

Offense:
Moulson   Scott     Bitz
Abbott    Abbott    Sawada
Knoepfli  Iggulden  Hynes
Mugford   Carefoot  McKeown
After that, fill-in order is McCutcheon, Varteressian, McLeod, and Pegoraro.

Defense:
Cook   Glover
Downs  Krantz
Gleed  Grenier-Pokulok

Goaltending:
McKee starts every game, barring any injuries or WJC-like trips (and I don't think the WJCs are a possibility for McKee).  Davenport is next in line to fill in, and Chabot is obviously last.

Date: July 19, 2004 12:03PM

Dis anybody keep good cumulative stats for where people played last year (LW, C, RW; LD, RD)? I know I didn't...

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.wireless.wm.edu)
Date: July 19, 2004 12:20PM

You don't think O'Byrne is going to be one of the top 6 d-men, Will? I think he could turn some heads this season. Apparently he was impressive at the Canadien's Development Camp. Incidentally...so was Yann Danis.

My guess is no better than yours, but I'm going to speculate....

Cook Glover/Grenier-Pokulok
Downs O'Byrne
Gleed Krantz

(Edited because I realized my original lineup wouldn't quite work..)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2004 02:16PM by DisplacedCornellian.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: July 19, 2004 01:49PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

My wild guesses at the lines:
Offense:
Moulson Scott Bitz
Abbott Abbott Sawada
Knoepfli Iggulden Hynes
Mugford Carefoot McKeown
After that, fill-in order is McCutcheon, Varteressian, McLeod, and Pegoraro.
Defense:
Cook Glover
Downs Krantz
Gleed Grenier-Pokulok
Goaltending: McKee starts every game, barring any injuries or WJC-like trips (and I don't think the WJCs are a possibility for McKee). Davenport is next in line to fill in, and Chabot is obviously last.[/q]

What is the combined weight and height of this potential lineup? It would be interesting to compare Cornell to the rest of the east and to the western teams.

Date: July 19, 2004 01:52PM

As far as the defense goes, you have to figure that the top 4, in no particular order, are Cook, Downs, O'Byrne, and Gleed. They all played well in the stretch run last season, before the Clarkson series, as we wrapped up the #2 seed. Then, in the Clarkson series, Glover was back in the lineup, and look what happened. 10 goals against in the final two games. I get the feeling that if Krantz and Grenier-Pokulok crack the lineup, it'll be Glover (and Salmela, of course) who'll be left out. Then again, Schafer might use Salmela because of his power play skills.

Anyhow, my bold prediction for next year's lineup is that McKee will start in goal against Army to start the season :-)

Date: July 19, 2004 02:02PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Dis anybody keep good cumulative stats for where people played last year (LW, C, RW; LD, RD)? I know I didn't...[/q]

Our left-wingers from last year (who are returning this year): Cam Abbott, Matt Moulson, Mike Knoepfli, Paul Varteressian, Mitch Carefoot, Kevin McLeod

Our right-wingers: Shane Hynes, Mark McCutcheon, Byron Bitz (and Carefoot also played some games on the right side). And of course, Bitz CAN play center if needed.

Centers: Chris Abbott, Pegoraro, Iggulden

Left Defense: Downs, Glover, Salmela (who also played right defense last season)

Right Defense: Gleed, Cook, O'Byrne

Date: July 19, 2004 02:44PM

I think Glover will shock everybody. I have a feeling his poor play last season was due to his injuries and the inability to adjust to our system quickly. If he has been working out in the off-season and staying healthy he will crack the line-up!:-(

Posted by: mehhh (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 19, 2004 10:06PM

Krantz and Pokulok are both Left Handed Defensemen.

Posted by: TShen (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: July 19, 2004 10:18PM

Wait a sec. . . . the recruit page lists Krantz as RD and Pokulouk as LD.

Date: July 20, 2004 12:08AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:
Our left-wingers from last year (who are returning this year): Cam Abbott, Matt Moulson, Mike Knoepfli, Paul Varteressian, Mitch Carefoot, Kevin McLeod

Our right-wingers: Shane Hynes, Mark McCutcheon, Byron Bitz (and Carefoot also played some games on the right side). And of course, Bitz CAN play center if needed.

Centers: Chris Abbott, Pegoraro, Iggulden

Left Defense: Downs, Glover, Salmela (who also played right defense last season)

Right Defense: Gleed, Cook, O'Byrne
[/q]

Thanks.

Posted by: mehhh (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 20, 2004 12:24AM

mybad

Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 07:56AM

I was very impressed with Salmela in the games I saw him play last year (in Florida and on TV at Harvard). He didn't make mistakes against top caliber opponents, and I wouldn't be afraid to have him out there in big games. Were it not for some great McKee saves after O'Byrne turnovers in Florida, the perspective of this Forum on O'Byrne might be greatly different. While they both may be more dynamic than Salmela, O'Byrne and Glover to a lesser extent were more mistake prone. O'Byrne also took bad penalties far too often.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2004 02:16PM by jkahn.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2004 09:40AM

The eLynah database has specific positions in each game's box score. The stats page shows the position(s) played during the year in order of number of times in each position. "LW, C" means a player played left wing and center, but left wing more often than center.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: July 20, 2004 11:59AM

Can you blame the Clarkson Game 2/3 losses one one player? It seems more like a team effort. Unless you want to lay it on our game one pugilist who thought punching out Clarkson's goon would inspire Cornell to greater heights in Games 2/3?

Date: July 20, 2004 01:30PM

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to do with O'Byrne. Maybe sub him in for Glover in my lineup. I think our defensemen, new and old, are going to be really competitive with each other, so I really don't know who will make it into the regular lineup. Cook and Downs seem to me to be the only definites, as I truly believe they are our top two. After that, your guess is as good as mine.

I also wasn't sure about McCutcheon, so I figure he might make it into the fourth line. I'm fairly confident in the rest of my offensive lines, though, based on what I've seen of the returning players and what I've heard of the new players.

Posted by: mmereerr (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 20, 2004 02:27PM

i guess we'll see the line-up come october...

Posted by: typing (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 20, 2004 08:36PM

Date: July 20, 2004 11:39PM

[Q]typing Wrote:

[members.aol.com][/q]

Hey. Could be a different guy... ;-)

Date: July 21, 2004 11:00AM

Okay, if Mugford is definitely out, then I have to edit my lines:

Offense:
Moulson      Scott     Bitz
Abbott       Abbott    Sawada
Knoepfli     Iggulden  Hynes
McCutcheon   Carefoot  McKeown
After that, fill-in order is Varteressian, McLeod, and Pegoraro.

Defense:
Cook   O'Byrne
Downs  Krantz
Gleed  Glover

Grenier-Pokulok and Salmela sub in next.

Goaltending:
McKee starts every game, barring any injuries or WJC-like trips (and I don't think the WJCs are a possibility for McKee).  Davenport is next in line to fill in, and Chabot is obviously last.

Date: July 21, 2004 02:07PM

I wouldn't count on McKee starting every game. Davenport was highly sought after.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2004 03:23PM

no one has seen this kid,adn he wasnty nearly as impressive in the junior league as, say, another cornell junior he is competing with for net time and his name don't start with david!
still waiting for all you Chabot haters to prove to me that Schafer hates him. untill then, i'm sticking next to the philosophy that he wouldnt be here if he didnt have a chance.
goalie depth:
1McKee
2Chabot
3Davenport

Posted by: Greg (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: July 21, 2004 04:49PM

It isn't a matter of hating Chabot. It's a matter of observing that last year Schafer played McKee for 1929 of the team's 1942 minutes, and for the other 13 he played Marr.

I assume Davenport and Chabot will each get their chance to challenge McKee in practice. Unless Davenport is really not ready, I think we'll see him played occasionally at first, and then more or less as his performance inspires. Chabot: I think Schafer has already made a tentative judgment.

Date: July 22, 2004 12:21AM

Varteressian really elevated his game in the latter stretches of the season. Being moved to center helped a lot. In my mind, he is a shoe-in as the fourth line center.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 22, 2004 10:37AM

no doubt that McKee is #1 and will start every game as long as he is healthy, working hard adn is not overshadowed by any of the other goalies in practice (not likely)
Marr last year was the clear #2, and if he had not been injured early in the season... we will never know that what if. and for the record, thank the maker that he was. Besides, he was a transfer from Northeastern andnway, not a pure Schafer Recruit. he played well in the stretch a couple seasons ago when lenny whent to the WJC, but he was a number 2 man. I feel like the Junior Chabot has 2 full seasons of practice under his beltm and is likely the tennitive #2. I cant wait for this season to start.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2004 02:38PM by The Rancor.

Posted by: BCrespi (65.198.3.---)
Date: July 23, 2004 09:47AM

What do you all think about the special teams for next year? Who's got the Vesce swing spot? I assume Cook and probably Salmela on PP1 D. Any thoughts?

Posted by: bengy (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 30, 2004 10:08PM

pokulok or krantz might jump in on the pp

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login