Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

What's with the poor out of conference schedule?

Posted by Red Man 
What's with the poor out of conference schedule?
Posted by: Red Man (---.fidelity.com)
Date: July 06, 2004 12:29PM

10/29 Army
10/30 Sacred Heart
11/12 @ Michigan St
11/14 @ Michigan St.
11/27 Canisius
12/28 Everblades (1st Round)
12/29 Everblades (2nd Round)

I recognize the quality of the competition in the holiday tournament (probably too stiff) and that the Spartans are a decent program but the rest of this out of conference schedule is piss-poor. These guys are not going to have any credibility coming out of the perpetually softening ECAC unless they play some more iron. Recall that the sweep of BU is what really got people's attention 2 years ago. Save winning the holiday tournament (highly unlikely with BC and Maine in there next year) they will not have much of an opportunity to turn heads this year.

Any thoughts?

Re: What's with the poor out of conference schedule?
Posted by: CU Fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2004 12:41PM

Let's remember that Cornell wasn't exactly great last year. Another factor that goes into scheduling out of conference games is that you want to be able to win them. Many of the nation's stronger teams (BC, Maine, etc.) don't like to schedule out of conference games with teams like Michigan, Minnesota, etc. because its damaging to your RPI to lose them.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2004 01:15PM

It is true that BC and Maine are strong teams. The rest of the statement is not true.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: July 06, 2004 01:41PM

[Q]CU Fan Wrote:

Let's remember that Cornell wasn't exactly great last year. Another factor that goes into scheduling out of conference games is that you want to be able to win them. Many of the nation's stronger teams (BC, Maine, etc.) don't like to schedule out of conference games with teams like Michigan, Minnesota, etc. because its damaging to your RPI to lose them.[/q]

Michigan and Minnesota aren't strong teams? screwy

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: July 06, 2004 02:20PM

Cornell had a better winning % against tourny teams last year than any team in the field. I'm not sure how the RPI works, but it seems that what also hurt them (beside not winning the ECAC) was not playing enough power teams to garner mindshare. It seems that as the ECAC weakens the need to improve the OOC schedule increases greatly. Also, if you're going to play Western Michigan and Bowling Green (etc) you better win.

Posted by: fanalicious (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: July 06, 2004 02:31PM

hey, the big red will win all out of conference games, win ivy league, ecac and ecac championship, what are all you worying about, they are f*ing stacked, there is nothing to worry about
peace

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 06, 2004 03:03PM

[q]It is true that BC and Maine are strong teams. The rest of the statement is not true.[/q]Agreed. The top teams do intentionally schedule tough competition in order to help their SoS ranking. Not to mention the fact that playing better competition tends to make you a better team. It's generally more damaging to your RPI to beat a bad team than to lose to a very good one. SoS components (Opponents winning percentage and OppOpp%) account for 65% of RPI last time I looked.

Of the seven games on the docket, four have to be considered very good games. The other three are, but all together it's not a horrible schedule. I wonder if Schafer intentionally scheduled an "easy" weekend to start the season to get things off on the right foot.

Posted by: min (---.mw.client2.attbi.com)
Date: July 06, 2004 05:12PM

i think geography also plays a small part when scheduling ooc games.
from a logistic standpoint, ithaca does not look too favorably for visiting teams. guess what other team do army and sacred heart play in the same opening weekend? colgate.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.astro.cf.ac.uk)
Date: July 06, 2004 05:59PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
It's generally more damaging to your RPI to beat a bad team than to lose to a very good one.[/q]
That's not generally true, we just notice it when it is. Also, I think if beating a bad team hurts your RPI it's typically because your winning percentage is so high that the extra win doesn't help much, in which case the extra loss would hurt a lot.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: July 06, 2004 06:17PM

If we equally weight the chances of playing the three teams that make up the Everglades, and if we take last season's strengths, how does next year's schedule strength stand against the last few years?

Posted by: CU Fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2004 07:34PM

The point is that they are strong teams, so tyhey don't want to risk a loss by playing them. Cheers screwy

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 07, 2004 01:54AM

[Q]CU Fan Wrote:

The point is that they are strong teams, so tyhey don't want to risk a loss by playing them. Cheers [/q]But the point is still wrong. The top teams play eachother. It is the middle teams that have trouble scheduling top teams. The top squads don't want to make the sacrifice in SOS and risk a loss that will hurt their RPI more than a win will help.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 07, 2004 05:08AM

[Q]fanalicious Wrote:

hey, the big red will win all out of conference games, win ivy league, ecac and ecac championship, what are all you worying about, they are f*ing stacked, there is nothing to worry about
peace[/q]
I think that you said it a bit incorrectly when you wrote: [q]there is nothing to worry about peace[/q] When Dan Peace, a Cornell legacy, returns in a different red and white uniform, Cornell will be in trouble. :-D

Well, actually I don't expect him to get much ice time.

Posted by: ninian '72 (165.224.215.---)
Date: July 07, 2004 11:27AM

Another issue with scheduling stronger teams is rink size. Teams benfit from scheduling games at the larger arenas the stronger teams typically play in, since their gates tend to be larger. From that standpoint, it may be harder to get quality opponents to schedule games at Lynah.

Posted by: Big Red Colonel (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 08, 2004 08:25AM

I don't think many folks mind the "cupcake" opening weekend. I recall in the last few years playing (and destroying) Alabama-Hunstville and several other weaker teams. What has me in a tizzy is the Thanksgiving week game against Canisius. I was banking on a BU game that weekend and I am sure all of us would like to have seen a top notch opponent. I agree with folks that rink size and location are a problem, but why not schedule a game in Binghamton, Rochester, Syracuse or even Buffalo? We could have scheduled a nice double-header with Colgate playing someone good at 4:30 and then Cornell playing a big name team in the evening. Since it is a holiday weekend, many folks would be able to make the trip and it's not like Lynah would have had many students in there anyway.

In any case, as I am a bit of a Chicken Little, I am just freaking out that Cornell hockey and Ivy League hockey is going the way of Ivy League football.

Cheers,
Mike

Posted by: The Rancor (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2004 10:32AM

the only problem that i see with the schedule is that it is too heavily weighted on Atlantic Hockey. I would like to see us playing teams from all the conferences.
Its great to have 2 vs CCHA (state) and we will (only) play either one WCHA (scsu) and one Hockey East, or two Hockey East teams (BU and Maine), all of which are of high caliber. agreed it would be better to have 3 WCHA opponents on the block, but better 3 from AH than the CHA!
anyway, there ought to be better balance of confereces. if we had more games each season, we could play 2 OOCs against each one.

Date: July 08, 2004 12:01PM

I do kind of mind the "cupcake" opening weekend, but it would be more palatable if it were only one "cupcake" game. (Woofing gods - please note the use of quotes. This is not intended to disparage SH or Army.) Folks should remember that scheduling non-conf games isn't easy and requires agreement from the other team. If BU's schedule is full then you can't get them. If Colgate is full or busy Thanksgiving day weekend (two games against Mercyhurst) then you can't get them to play a double header. (Besides, who says they'd want to be the undercard for a DH anyway?)

Another problem with scheduling western teams is the two game set. It doesn't make much sense for a WCHA team to fly east for a single game. That means we either need room for a two game set (like with MSU) or have to coordinate with Colgate. Not always easy considering game limits and available weekends.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: July 08, 2004 10:14PM

[Q]Big Red Colonel Wrote:

In any case, as I am a bit of a Chicken Little, I am just freaking out that Cornell hockey and Ivy League hockey is going the way of Ivy League football.[/q]

You are not the only one.

Kyle

banana

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: July 13, 2004 09:09PM

Why the apparently soft schedule, especially so soft early in the eyar? For mid/western teams, Ithaca airport (7000 feet?) is not an all-weather field. It could be a roach motel for planes. 3700 seats is good but not huge so there's only os much of a gate you can split. But most of all, no matter what Cornell's record turns out to be at year's end, as an opposing coach, I'd be scared to death scheduling myself a year in advance to play Cornell. If you were, say, Denver or Michigan or Ohio State and you were planning to invite in an ECAC opponent for a two game series at your place (followed the next year by two games at their place), which team would make you rather schedule: Cornell? Colgate? Clarkson? RPI? St. Lawrence? Union? If you're the other coach, you're thinking, "Cornell is a team that couild get two good goals and maybe one lucky goal [or vice versa]. But am I sure I'm going to put up three goals against the Cornell defense?"

Harvard has the advantage of toughening its schedule through the Beanpot. A lot of years they get to play BC and BU, at the very leat one of them.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bc.edu)
Date: July 14, 2004 11:29AM

I like your analysis and agree with most of it. Cornell's arena is smaller than a BC, new BU, UNH or Maine, but it is larger than Harvard's and St. Lawrence. Also while Ithaca may not be the biggest airport or the safest place to land a plane in the winter, it's location just four miles from Lynah, makes it one of the closest rinks to the airport that serves it. Also, I would think, you'd be hard pressed to get from the airport to the rink somewhere else in less time than in Ithaca.

Speaking of rink size, the Lynah plans thread has been pretty dead since Reunion. Anybody going to try and get a scoop this weekend? Have fun all who are going.

Posted by: Greg Berge (65.202.253.---)
Date: July 14, 2004 02:03PM

[Q]krose Wrote:

Big Red Colonel Wrote:

In any case, as I am a bit of a Chicken Little, I am just freaking out that Cornell hockey and Ivy League hockey is going the way of Ivy League football.[/Q]
You are not the only one.

Kyle

[/q]

No, you're not the only one. Ivy hockey is perpetually in the position of having to run just to stand still. Part of this is the price paid for higher admissions standards and lack of scholarships. That I can live with. But part is the Ivy administrators' seemingly unending crusade to shoot themselves in the head. That's what sucks.

Date: July 14, 2004 03:13PM

Mostly it boils down to: If North Dakota or Minnesota wants to schedule an early season game against an ECAC team, the last team you'd want to invite is Cornell. Too risky. Even in an off year, Cornell can rise up and bite you.

Same reason UCLA or Kentucky or Texas would be disinclined to schedule a game against Princeton in basketball if it could be avoided.

Date: July 14, 2004 04:17PM

[q]Mostly it boils down to: If North Dakota or Minnesota wants to schedule an early season game against an ECAC team, the last team you'd want to invite is Cornell. Too risky. Even in an off year, Cornell can rise up and bite you.

Same reason UCLA or Kentucky or Texas would be disinclined to schedule a game against Princeton in basketball if it could be avoided. [/q]
I don't buy that argument at all. North Dakota opens next season with two games at Maine. Michigan plays at BU and UNH in their first two weekends. Berenson and Blais were certainly not thinking "I want an easy game to start the season with" when they scheduled these contests. They were thinking "we want to play top programs from beginning to end."

I don't think it matters that these are HEA teams either (btw - UM plays SLU right after UNH). Top teams want to play top teams, simple as that. There isn't the schedule padding mentality in college hockey the way there is in squeakball. If there was, then the better AH/MAAC teams would have had a really easy time getting games with top Big-4 programs. (Remember beating the MAAC leader often helped RPI/PWR to a vastly unreasonable extent as measured by KRACH).

What kills Cornell is the Ivy games and schedule length limit. When you only have 7 games to work with and can't play in October it's going to be hard to schedule a lot of top programs, no matter how well you do. There's just not much flexibility in the Ivy schedule. The fact that Colgate is the only nearby school that you could reasonably do a weekend pair with makes it a little more difficult.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 14, 2004 06:49PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
I don't buy that argument at all. North Dakota opens next season with two games at Maine. Michigan plays at BU and UNH in their first two weekends. Berenson and Blais were certainly not thinking "I want an easy game to start the season with" when they scheduled these contests. They were thinking "we want to play top programs from beginning to end."[/q]Right, but the point is, scheduling is like need-based financial aid: It's the people in the middle who get screwed. North Dakota is happy to play a power like Maine, who'll almost certainly wind up with a good winning percentage and thus won't hurt their RPI too much even if they lose a game. And they're happy to play a cupcake like Canisius, because while the low winning percentage won't help your RPI, it's pretty much a guaranteed win and a stat-padding night for Brandon Bochenski on top of it. But when you play Cornell, there's the risk that we'll beat you, because we're likely better than Canisius, and there's also the chance that 04-05 Cornell will be like 99-00 Cornell and hurt your RPI with a low winning percentage, and on top of that, because we don't usually play shootouts, you get no stat padding.

I don't buy the airport argument, though. You can't tell me that whatever airport serves Potsdam and Canton (or, for that matter, Burlington) is any better than Ithaca.

Date: July 15, 2004 03:53PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:I don't buy the airport argument, though. You can't tell me that whatever airport serves Potsdam and Canton (or, for that matter, Burlington) is any better than Ithaca.[/q]

The Canton winter airport is excellent for those 3-4 months when there's a complete freezover from the US side to the Canadian side and no shipping.

When I cited the airport issues as a negative for Cornell I was thinking more that if you play a Massachusetts, Connecticut, or Rhode Island school, you've got real airports you can fly into and backups you can fly into. I suppose Syracuse counts as a fairly real airport, or Rochester, for Cornell.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: July 15, 2004 08:46PM

I agree. On top of that Lynah Rink (throwing out last year) gives Cornell a great home ice advantage which gives Cornell a better chance of laying an PWR hurting loss on a powerhouse team. The capacity of Lynah and especially air access to Ithaca are highly overblown issues IMHO of Cornell's lack of ability to draw WCHA teams. Otherwise Clarkson and St. Lawrence would have the same trouble bringing them in. Then again, I have no idea how hard we try to set up home and home arragements with WCHA teams. Anyone have any insight?

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2004 12:39AM

As has been noted, these teams play tough games early in the season, and are not afraid to play tough games. The issue is more what was also noted above -- the Ivies can't play in October, when most of these games take place. By November, the WCHA teams especially are well into their league schedule. I don't think the explanation needs to go much beyond that.

Date: July 16, 2004 07:27PM

Theoretically there could be time in December after exams for a game with a WCHA team, but the days before Christmas aren't prime times for hockey watching, and that window of a week - actually less - is when players can go home to see their families. Already for the Everblades, some players in BC have to return east or south on Christmas Day. That kind of sucks if you think of hockey players as people with families and proud grandparents and girlfriends back home, not just red jerseys with numbers on them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login