Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Schafer

Posted by MNetravali 
Schafer
Posted by: MNetravali (---.mc.duke.edu)
Date: June 16, 2004 03:33PM

Mike Schafer would NEVER leave Cornell to go to Harvard. Nobody leaves their Alma Mater to go to their top rival (and a lesser program). The rumor is complete nonsense.

Re: Schafer
Posted by: Cornell Fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 05:37PM

Yea, everybody already knew that.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: June 16, 2004 05:53PM

[q]Nobody leaves their Alma Mater to go to their top rival (and a lesser program). [/q]

I can't think of one, but I'm betting that within 48 hours somebody will. I've got faith in this group.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 06:03PM

At least at Harvard, he'll have the crowd he's been working hard to get.

ZING! wow

Kyle

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 06:39PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Nobody leaves their Alma Mater to go to their top rival (and a lesser program). [/Q]
I can't think of one, but I'm betting that within 48 hours somebody will. I've got faith in this group.[/q]

Rick Comley, current head coach of Michigan State, graduated from Lake Superior in '72. He went on to coach LSSU for three seasons from '74 to '76 before moving on to a 26 year run at Northern Michigan and the last three at MSU. This isn't a case of arch rivals (NMU and Michigan Tech are arch rivals, at least now), but it's the closest I could find quickly.

It's really amazing how many DI head coaches work for their Alma Maters. I didn't count, but it's a fairly high percentage.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.espn.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 11:33PM

It's not hockey, but it does involve one of the most legendary coaching rivalries of all time...Bo Schembechler was a grad student at Ohio State (undergrad at Miami - OH), and was even a graduate assistant coach under Woody Hayes before leaving to eventually become head coach at Ohio State's arch rival, Michigan.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2004 01:28AM

From [www.ahcahockey.com]

[q]Taylor, a 1963 Harvard graduate, spent seven years as an assistant at his alma mater before becoming Yale’s 10th head coach. He captained the 1963 Crimson team that won the Ivy League and the ECAC championships, and tallied 46 goals and 33 assists for 79 career points in 68 games. Taylor, the recipient of the Angier Trophy for most improved Harvard player his junior season, made the U.S. national team in 1965 and 1967. [/q]

Tim Taylor has been Yale's head coach since the '76-'77 season, and is now the winningest coach in Yale history.

Don't ask who he beat to gain the record: [www.yaledailynews.com]

Posted by: Greg (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: June 17, 2004 06:26AM

[Q]krose Wrote:

At least at Harvard, he'll have the crowd he's been working hard to get.

ZING!

Kyle
[/q]

Now, now... Schafer has said many times he wants a loud, aggressive, intimidating, supportive crowd. He just doesn't want to hear "suck," "fuck," or "asshole" every fifteen seconds, and neither do a lot of us. Some fear that little Erica will be corrupted. Whatever. The rest of us just think it's boring and that a Cornell crowd ought to be able to come up with something better.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2004 08:10AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

It's really amazing how many DI head coaches work for their Alma Maters. I didn't count, but it's a fairly high percentage.[/q]

Actually the percentages are rather low. Here's a percentage breakdown by conference of teams coached by an alumnus of that school ranked from greatest to lowest

CCHA: 7/12 - 58%
WCHA: 5/10 - 50%
HE: 3/9 - 33%
AH: 3/9 - 33%
CHA: 1/6 - 17%
ECAC: 2/12 - 17%

Overall: 21/58 - 36%

Cornell is one of about five schools that have multiple alums coaching DI teams. Bowling Green has produced the most DI head coaches

Posted by: ninian '72 (165.224.215.---)
Date: June 17, 2004 08:42AM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:

It's not hockey, but it does involve one of the most legendary coaching rivalries of all time...Bo Schembechler was a grad student at Ohio State (undergrad at Miami - OH), and was even a graduate assistant coach under Woody Hayes before leaving to eventually become head coach at Ohio State's arch rival, Michigan.[/q]

The Ohio State connection was the reason Bo was hired at Michigan. After Ohio State beat Michigan 50-14 in 1967, a reporter asked Woody why he had gone for 2 after scoring their final touchdown. His response was, "Because I couldn't go for 3." Although the Michigan coach - Bump Elliott - was a popular former Michigan All-American, the folks at Michigan had had enough and decided to find a head coach who understood Woody well enough to beat him. Bo took care of that the next fall. When Bo decided to leave Ohio State for the head coaching job at his alma mater Miami - OH, Woody told him that he had been grooming him to be his eventual successor at Ohio State and that Bo would be giving all that up, which explains a lot of the personal vitriol Woody felt toward Bo when they faced each other later in their careers.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: June 17, 2004 09:03AM

[Q]Tom Pasniewski 98 Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

It's really amazing how many DI head coaches work for their Alma Maters. I didn't count, but it's a fairly high percentage.[/Q]
Actually the percentages are rather low. Here's a percentage breakdown by conference of teams coached by an alumnus of that school ranked from greatest to lowest

CCHA: 7/12 - 58%
WCHA: 5/10 - 50%
HE: 3/9 - 33%
AH: 3/9 - 33%
CHA: 1/6 - 17%
ECAC: 2/12 - 17%

Overall: 21/58 - 36%

Cornell is one of about five schools that have multiple alums coaching DI teams. Bowling Green has produced the most DI head coaches

[/q]
Actually, that is a pretty high percentage since randomness would predict that only one coach would be coaching at his alma mater. :-) I am sure that 21/58 would easily pass any reasonable significance test for there being a correlation between alma mater and team coached.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.timeinc.com)
Date: June 17, 2004 10:15AM

If Schafer wanted to go to Harvard I would pack his bags and drive him. We couldn't get any more lucky.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: June 17, 2004 10:41AM

[Q]Facetimer Wrote:

If Schafer wanted to go to Harvard I would pack his bags and drive him. We couldn't get any more lucky.[/q]
LOL... so I don't go nearly this far, since I think Schafer is actually a very good coach. I just take issue with his zeal in trying to stamp out language and behavior he doesn't like. Hockey is a low-class sport: IMO, just deal with it and let the fans be fans.

Cheers,
Kyle

banana

Posted by: Cornell fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2004 02:34PM

Hockey is a low-class sport? I really don't think that could be further from the truth. With the exception of maybe polo, croquet, and tennis, whats more highclass than hockey?

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2004 02:47PM

[Q]Cornell fan Wrote:

Hockey is a low-class sport? I really don't think that could be further from the truth. With the exception of maybe polo, croquet, and tennis, whats more highclass than hockey?[/q]

Hockey fans represent a bi-modal distribution. In addition to those whose lips move when presented with tough reading passages such as "Bud ... Bud Lite," there is also an upscale demographic. I thought I recalled seeing demographing numbers saying the upper half of hockey fans are a fairly high-income group, more so (can this be so?) than even basketball.

Within colleges, lacrosse may be the highest income-demographic sport.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: June 17, 2004 05:32PM

I don't think Hockey can be low class simply based on the cost of participating in hockey. I can't think of any other sport that is as expensive for parents.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: June 17, 2004 05:40PM

I'm talking about the fans, Tub(a). Traditionally, hockey fan demographic has been fairly low-income. This may have changed in the past couple of years, but some parts of the game appeal mainly to rednecks like myself** (e.g., hard body-checking, the occasional fight) who don't have any particular aversion to strong language.

Cheers,
Kyle

**It's true that I may not be low-income, but happily my tastes run the gamut from high to low brow. Hockey is one of those things that IMO is enjoyable precisely because it has rough edges that make a first-time spectator say, "That doesn't seem right..." :-)

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2004 06:15PM

[Q]krose Wrote:

Traditionally, hockey fan demographic has been fairly low-income.[/q]

I don't know how long it's been that way, but I know for at least a few years now, NHL fans have the highest average income of the four major sports.

[Q]...the NHL has the most affluent in-arena fans of the four major sports leagues including the NFL, NBA and Major League Baseball. The average household income was US$73,858 compared to US$73,015 for the NFL fan. It also has the highest percentage of fans with incomes over US$100,000 per year.[/q]
-from [www.sportsbusinessnews.com]

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2004 06:20PM

Traditionally, hockey's demographic has been the most affluent of any of the team sports.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: June 17, 2004 08:53PM

Based on the very small sampling of our town's sports, hockey seems like baseball in that it's a crossover of blue collar, white collar, and gold collar parents. Soccer, too, although there the two groups seem to be recent Americans and yuppie scum like ourselves. Lacrosse is almost all upscale; if you don't have an SUV, I don't think you can try out for the traveling team. Football seems more heavily blue-collar but not exclusively, maybe because white-collar parents (in our part of NJ) recognize the odds of getting hurt are high and the odds of getting a college scholarship are low unless the kid is a) good and b) big.

I'm sure there's a PhD thesis in all this, if it hasn't been done by Rick Reilly as a column.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: June 17, 2004 09:01PM

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

First of all, "NHL" does not equal "hockey." NHL is a part of hockey, but (a) it's the most visible hockey league and (b) there are many more leagues, teams, and fans than those that are associated with the NHL. Orders of magnitude.

Secondly, counting only "in arena" fans is simply begging the question. I'd be much more inclined to believe the affluence of the "in arena" fans is due primarily to the combination of limited capacity (in the largest arenas usually about 1/3 the capacity of MLB stadiums and even less compared to NFL stadiums) and the large ratio of season ticket holders to single ticket holders. Just go to a typical "sold out" game at the FleetCenter sometime and observe that more than 50% of the seats are empty. I invite someone to prove me wrong. How about you show me the 30th %ile income of fans at hockey games, instead of pulling out "average" family income, which makes me wonder how it's calculated.

Cheers,
Kyle

banana

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2004 09:28PM

Another factor - it's bleeping expensive for even a single-game ticket. Go watch an AHL or ECHL game, and you'll see a different crowd than you'll find at your average NHL game.

On the other hand, it's worth noting that hockey requires a high start-up cost. I'd be a (terrible) goalie if I could afford the pads, but I can't, so instead I'm a (terrible) wing.

I'm inclined to believe in a bi-modal distribution for both fans and players, but regardless of the demographics of the fan base hockey does have a reputation as a game catering to a crowd with less-refined tastes than those typically associated with a high income/social status postion. Maybe that goes back to when boxing was more of a major sport than football (cf the joke about going to the fights and having a hockey game break out), but I think it's still in the minds of many non-fans and casual fans across the US.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 18, 2004 11:16AM

[Gross Generalizations]
Hockey *players* are probably even more bi-modal than the fans - you've got the rural kids who grow up skating on the backyard ponds for free, and you've got the suburban kids whose parents can afford both the 4 am ice time and the SUV to get them there. You just don't see that many blue-collar, salt-of-the-earth, middle class wage-earners' kids playing hockey....
[/Gross Generalizations]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2004 02:50PM

[Q]Facetimer Wrote:

If Schafer wanted to go to Harvard I would pack his bags and drive him. We couldn't get any more lucky.[/q]

Looks like you've finally found your niche, FT. You would make a fine chauffeur or personal valet. Maybe Dennis Rodman woot will give you an interview if the coach turns you down.

Posted by: Greg (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: June 18, 2004 03:02PM

Or Jayson Williams.

Posted by: Erica (---.afip.osd.mil)
Date: June 21, 2004 10:29AM

Trust me. I'm already corrupted. You can't touch me with your vulgarity. laugh

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 22, 2004 12:37PM

[Q]Erica Wrote:
You can't touch me with your vulgarity. [/q]

Or with anything else for that matter, Greg....

*rimshot*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2004 12:38PM by jeh25.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login