Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hopes for the weekend

Posted by Stewart 
Hopes for the weekend
Posted by: Stewart (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 08:23PM

SO for PWR, do we hope for any particular results (aside from a 2 CU wins)? Is there any advantage to playing and beating DU over RPI?

You guys seem to really know this stuff :-)

Re: Hopes for the weekend
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2002 09:41PM

Too much thinking for me today. The only thing I can see right off the bat, Niagra getting to the CHA finals (edit: even if they loose) would make them a TUC again. One more TUC win can't hurt :).

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Posted by: Rico (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 03:22AM

Ahem. Dartmouth is merely a college.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 09:26AM

With 17 doctoral programs, including a medical school, and a number of master's programs besides, Dartmouth would be perfectly justified to call themselves a university. Given the proclivity of too many schools these days to attempt to gain false prestige by calling themselves "university" on the skimpiest of pretenses (Colgate, for one), I admire Dartmouth's restraint and institutional self-assurance in continuing to call themselves--quite modestly--a "college."

That having been said, I hope they maintain in perpetuity their perfect record of never having won an ECAC championship.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 11, 2002 11:10AM

I seem to recall that Dartmouth still calls itself "College" due to provisions in either the college charter or the land grant or some such document that prohibits the school from becoming a "University". Because this is just so much form over substance, it sounds urban-legend like. I don't have a source, so take it with a grain of salt.

DC vs. RPI
Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 12:11PM

Dartmouth and RPI are both TUC's so either way the game will count in that PWC category. However, RPI has a better RPI (go figure?) so from the stats perspective we'd rather play them on Friday. I think we can beat either team, though I hope the PIG goes about 18 OTs...

Other weekend thoughts:
1) I'm pretty sure we can't catch UNH or BU so we should hope that both win their HEA semis. We definitely can catch Maine (they're a bit ahead in RPI curently) and don't want UML to get an autobid. Then probably a BU win, since that would help our RPI slightly.
2) In the CCHA, we probably want to see both NMU and UAF lose on Thursday or Friday at the latest. They're both in view of us in the rankings and if they lose early they won't catch us for sure. As for the winner, we prob want UM or MSU to win the title to avoid upsets, though if we win in LP an upset would be a good thing. We're already ahead of UM and if they lose they won't catch us. MSU we likely won't win the comparison but could pass if other things work out.
3) WCHA: The top 3 are in the tournament so wins by any of them is OK in the no-upset sense. But we can concievably win the comparisons with DU, Mn and St. C if things work out just right (IIRC, I might be wrong on Mn). So, if we win at LP root for CC to win the title since that really helps our ranking. Otherwise, any of the top 3 is good.
4) CHA: Niagara going all the way would add a TUC to our record. Be very helpful. UAh can't help us anymore unless the committee has a last second change of heart...
5) MAAC: Irrelevant, but root for Shaun Hannah anyway.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: March 11, 2002 01:01PM

It's the truth. I don't have a specific source I can quote you, but having heard it directly from a high administration official at DC, I can confirm that at least someone in a position to know for sure has said so. They'd lose their tax-exempt status with the state of New Hampshire if they renamed themselves anything, much less "Dartmouth University."

Beeeej

DC tax exempt status
Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 01:49PM

You know, somehow I think Dartmouth probably has enough clout in NH to retain their tax exempt status after a name change. Maybe the law or charter says that they'd lose it, but a quick vote by the legislature would probably fix that.

Posted by: pat (---.geo.cornell.edu)
Date: March 11, 2002 02:49PM

You can infer the reason behind not changing the name from Dartmouth's history site at [www.dartmouth.edu].

Summary: In 1815 the state tried to take control, going so far as to set up a separate board of trustees. Part of the coup attempt was changing the name to Dartmouth University. The case was argued in the Supreme Court by Daniel Webster (DC 1801) and serves as an important precedent for private institution-state relations, as well as being considered one of the formative steps in the evolution of the Constitution.

It seems to have been a bitter, hard-fought battle to retain the name "Dartmouth College" and control their own destiny, and keeping the "College" despite obviously outgrowing it is symbolic of their victory.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 03:54PM

That's a fairly famous case in contract law, I believe. It also featueed the immortal line which I am freely misquoting, "She is a small school, but there are those of us who love her."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 06:46PM

All true. It's a landmark case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login