Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

(OT) Reunion

Posted by Scott Kominkiewicz 
(OT) Reunion
Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.250.168.139.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 31, 2004 10:55AM

I'll be attending Reunion shortly, but I've never been to one before. What's worth doing, what's not? Any strategies?

Scott Kominkiewicz `84

Re: (OT) Reunion
Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2004 11:31AM

[Q]Scott Kominkiewicz Wrote:

I'll be attending Reunion shortly, but I've never been to one before. What's worth doing, what's not? Any strategies?
[/q]Hot Truck on the Arts Quad isn't the same. The selection is limited and they are premade.

This review refers to the reunion weekend in 1998.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: May 31, 2004 01:46PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Hot Truck on the Arts Quad isn't the same. The selection is limited and they are premade.
[/q]

See, this is why I just periodically go back for hockey weekends rather than going to reunion.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2004 04:26PM

It's probably too late for the most important thing, which is contacting (by e-mailing, telephone, or smail mail) all your friends and telling them to come, too.

Beyond that, it depends on your general interests. Get together your various affinity groups - featernities, activities, whatever. I usually find several lectures or forums featuring professors and prominent alumni talking about various things. There's bound to be some government profs talking about the presidential election, for example, and others on world affairs. I enjoy some of the displays by the various colleges and programs in Barton Hall at lunch time Friday and Saturday. Athletic events - runs, rides, canoeing on Beebe Lake, .... Music - various bands in the tents on the Arts Quad (9:00 PM - 1:00 AM) for beer and loud music, Hangovers at Cornell Plantations Saturday afternoon for the Treman concert, a collection of a capella groups (undergrad and alumni) in Goldwyn Smith Saturday evening. Tours of facilities. Friday there are several (summer school) classes that you can sit in on; the one time I tried that, the class was canceled due to the prof being ill. Good introductory seminar on computer genelogy. Leave time for just wandering around. Climb the library tower for a chimes concert. Hoffman challange course is fun - low and high ropes, team building. Cornell Plantations tours. History tour. Kroch Library has interesting stuff; they may show you a copy of the Gettysburg Address in Lincoln's hand writing. Mars show-and-tell. Wine tasting. Cornelliana night has vocal music by Cornell Chorus and Glee Club mixed with recognition of achievements by classes and individuals - oldest, farthest away, etc. Check out the schedule in advance. Don't plan too tightly. Stay flexible. Budget time to get around. Hang out.

[reunion.alumni.cornell.edu]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2004 08:50PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:

Hot Truck on the Arts Quad isn't the same. The selection is limited and they are premade.
[/Q]
See, this is why I just periodically go back for hockey weekends rather than going to reunion.[/q]

As you said, JTW. There is nothing like being on campus when the students are there, especially when they pack Lynah. (And the ShortStop deli downtown is the place to get "hot truck" subs made to order.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2004 08:25AM

[Q]marty Wrote:
As you said, JTW. There is nothing like being on campus when the students are there, especially when they pack Lynah. (And the ShortStop deli downtown is the place to get "hot truck" subs made to order.)[/q]No no no. The oven is all wrong at Shortstop.

(Although you are right that they're made to order.)

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.ebnet.org)
Date: June 01, 2004 08:32AM

Ahhh, the hot truck. Do they still make a WGC?

BTW, thanks to Dave Harding for all the ideas. I've already reached out to most of my fraternity friends, but only a few are going. Anybody else here going?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: June 01, 2004 08:56AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

marty Wrote:
As you said, JTW. There is nothing like being on campus when the students are there, especially when they pack Lynah. (And the ShortStop deli downtown is the place to get "hot truck" subs made to order.)[/Q]
No no no. The oven is all wrong at Shortstop.
[/q]
Some of us miss the smaller truck. I remember when Bob got the big one, the article in the Sun said now they no longer need to crush the sandwiches to fit them in the oven. I thought that was part of the service. :-D

But never having tried Shortstop's Hot Truck, I can only say it wouldn't seem the same without standing out in the cold and/or rain for 45 minutes at 1:30am (or running off to a friend's coop or dorm room for most of the wait).

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: June 01, 2004 09:30AM

Dave gave a great summary. I would add that even just walking around gives you a chance to remember back to undergrad days, although there are so many changes on campus that you'll find yourself trying to figure out what's different (that include on campus, in Collegetown and even downtown). You'll also see faces that are somewhat familiar but you can't really place anymore -- people from your dorm or a number of your classes who you used to recognize or might have even spoken to, but now are just a spark of a memory. For my 5-year reunion, I remembered most of them and it almost seemed like being back in school. But by the time of the 10-year, too many had started to fade.

My wife and I will both be there ('89), but like you, most of my friends will not. The preliminary number of attendees from my class seems to have dropped, despite great turnout the last two reunion years from our class.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2004 11:51AM

Ahhh, the hot truck. Do they still make a WGC?

[/q]

Yes, they do. Every time I go back to Ithaca, I make sure to get one :)

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2004 01:48PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
But never having tried Shortstop's Hot Truck, I can only say it wouldn't seem the same without standing out in the cold and/or rain for 45 minutes at 1:30am (or running off to a friend's coop or dorm room for most of the wait).[/q]I found adjusting to the idea of calling in an order for pickup surprisingly easy to adjust to. You can keep the cold and rain.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: June 01, 2004 02:44PM

Scott Kominkiewicz `84[/q]

Lose ten pounds. Well, maybe you can shed five between now and then.

Be there for the class picture (usually at the end of lunch Saturday).

Be prepared for a lot of classmates to not look like they did. There is no official class vote on this, but you'll keep an internal one: Who's the best looking person, meaning least ravaged by time? (I had the disadvantage of being stocky and not great looking when I was in school, but I haven't gotten any worse. I'll never win, but I won't lose, either.)

If your class is 20 or more years out, you'll hear a little click click clicking as your classmates walk around. If took me a while to figure it ouit: Everybody's on some Rx with a half dozen pills in a small bottle.

Go see a winery.

Be prepared for a disporportionate number of the smart and the lucky and the skilled ones to come back. Not to judge too broadly, but if somebody's just got named president of his division and somebody else has been out of work 18 months, what are the odds of each one coming back?

Be prepared for your dorm or fraternity house to be a little more beat up than you ever recalled.

You'll find at least one classmate who's passed on long ago and you didn't know about it. That's always sad.

If you get into a deeper conversation, you'll find a bunch of people who are not 100% in love with their jobs. Not everyone, but enough to make you wonder if the chase was worth it.

Bring a small fan. It gets bloody hot in the dorm rooms.

Enjoy the fact that you can park just about anywhere for four days without getting ticketed.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2004 06:26PM

Bill,

Are you going this year?

Date: June 01, 2004 10:12PM

Anybody else here going?[/q]

It's an off year for me ('72). Sometimes I (we) go anyway because it's a nice vacation and I have family in the area, but not this year. While the kids were in school it was always touch and go whether they would be out in time for us to get to reunion. Several years ago, after a couple of years of not trying to make it for reunion, we decided to schedule the family trip right after school ended. When we called around, we couldn't find a motel room for twenty or thirty miles in any direction. Finally, asking, we were reminded that it was Cornell reunion weekend.woot That meant that there was dorm space available for off-year classed down in the Baker complex, so we stayed there and joined the party. There's even a group called the Continuous Reunion Club whose members attend most years and have the equivalent of class dinners.

Also, if you haven't seen/heard President Lehman speak, it might be worth listening to the state of the university address Saturday morning.

We once went to the Savage Club show Thursday evening, but were not impressed. WIth the exception of the Hotel School, which puts on a serious spread, the college breakfasts tend to be sweet rolls at the best, but if you identify strongly with the college, then it can be interesting to hear what the dean has to say. If it's not cloudy, the Fuertes Observatory is a mildly interesting diversion. The line is likely to be long and only you can say whether the excietement of looking through a real telescope is worth the wait. Speaking of weather, it can be anything, though the odds of sunshine are much better in June than during the school year. It's looking pretty good at the moment. (http://cuinfo.cornell.edu/Ithaca/Weather/) Drink lots of water. Bring something to wear for those night time lows in the 40's.

Have fun. Don't worry about comparisons with anyone else in your class, but be impressed at those who are back for their 75th! **]

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 03, 2004 01:33AM

After about ten reunions - only one of them my own - I agree with most of what David said. Alas, however, the Reunion Ride has gone the way of the dinosaur. Not enough alumni bringing their own bikes, too much insurance cost for rental bikes, or something like that.

I'll be there; looking forward to seeing some of you. Serendipitously, my house in Ithaca will also be between tenants from June 4-18, so I get to stay in it for Reunion and then for a few days afterward just to hang out.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 03, 2004 01:35AM

15th is never the most popular Reunion. 5th is about the novelty; 10th is about meeting spouses and babies. After that, it's often tougher to justify and/or manage getting away until a "big" one like 25th.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: June 03, 2004 11:08AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
5th is about the novelty
[/q]

"I'm still in grad school. How about you?"

"Oh, you're a resident at Mass General? And your husband is a broker. And you just make an offer on a condo in back bay? So I guess you're buying, eh?"

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2004 07:23AM

[Thought I answered already; appears not.] Yes, I'm going to reunion. First time ever without the family. I really wanted the boys to see Cornell in hopes they'll consider it 5 and 8 years hence if by some miracle Cornell admits kids with the same kind of grades that got me in a generation ago. There’s no legacy option on Gwen’s side since she went to Smith; I never thought about that as a potential downside when I popped the question 20 years ago. For the boys, between "moving on" (no longer “graduation”) days from their elementary and middle schools and lax/soccer/hockey games and parties at country clubs and tennis clubs hosted by girls who may be 13 but look 17 [who saw that scary cover story in tne NY Times magazine last week about teenage, ah, "friends with benefits"?], they decided they're rather be home.

I've been fortunate to have a dozen Cornell friends I've stayed close with and reunion is a chance to keep up with the ones we're not physically close to, plus see a wider group I know from class or alumni activities. Plus I want to see the new Cornell Daily Sun building, see how silted up Beebe Lake has become, see if Uris Hall has finally rusted to the purple it was supposed to 25 years ago, see why the trees along the main roadways haven't grown very big in a generation of attempting to replace the old elms (or have they), see what shape the old fraternity house is in (actually, one can imagine), and gawk at all the new buildings on campus as if I was an ancient alum.

One regret is that there's no reunion that brings back a group of adjacent classes so you could see the classes two ahead and two behind you. That would work nicely if reunion always centered on your class but not if you were, say, the outlier among a five-year bloc of classes.

We may come back for Cornell Adult University. It’s pretty good and not that expensive (compared to what other vacations cost or compared to what Cornell costs in-season for students). If only all the professors were that entertaining all the time.

I can’t believe there’s no live Internet connections (at reunion) in the dorms. I asked and was told you can use the computing centers. Sheesh! Just like undergrad days, having to trudge onto campus to use computers, only at least this time around there’s no risk of dropping card desks in the snow.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2004 08:13PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:
5th is about the novelty
[/Q]
"I'm still in grad school. How about you?"

"Oh, you're a resident at Mass General? And your husband is a broker. And you just make an offer on a condo in back bay? So I guess you're buying, eh?"

[/q]

For my 20th I'm planning on being Ambassador to Norway or a poor but honest performance artist in Morocco.

Use your imagination.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2004 08:13PM by Greg Berge.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 08, 2004 11:53AM

I've been to Morocco. There's no such thing as a poor but honest performance artist there.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.ebnet.org)
Date: June 08, 2004 01:25PM

Thanks for the good advice. What about clothes (men's and women's)? Do I need a dress shirt, tie, red blazer and straw hat?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.wireless.wm.edu)
Date: June 08, 2004 01:55PM

Thanks for the good advice. What about clothes (men's and women's)? Do I need a dress shirt, tie, red blazer and straw hat?[/q]

You could go wearing all crimson and walk around with a very confused look as to why everybody is wearing red ;-)

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: June 08, 2004 05:42PM

Thanks for the good advice. What about clothes (men's and women's)? Do I need a dress shirt, tie, red blazer and straw hat?[/q]

Gosh, it's been, what five years since I was at reunion. (Come to think of it, it must have been.)

I believe the class officers often wear slacks, a blazer, a shirt, maybe a tie. Plus some others. This for the Saturday night dinner only. Others wear slacks, maybe even shorts, and a golf shirt. I always go for the safe route which is slacks, dress or single color golf shirt, and a blazer that can always be draped over the back of the chair if you're too formal. And if you're really nervous, roll up a tie and put it in the blazer pocket.

Everything else is casual dress or at most business casual.

Weather is supposed to be good.

Date: June 08, 2004 10:59PM

What about clothes (men's and women's)? Do I need a dress shirt, tie, red blazer and straw hat?[/q]

Bill's right. The only event for which any kind of dress up is expected is typically the Saturday evening class dinner. A sports jacket is fine, but you can up the ante if you enjoy dressing up. Or slack off if you really don't want to go that far. Check this example: This was our class picture before Saturday dinner two years ago. Saturday lunch is the other popular time for the class photos. More photos to give you a flavor of the attire: [classof72.alumni.cornell.edu]

Essentially everywhere else is very informal. A lot of the action is outside. You may well want a hat for sun protection. Red is always in style, but is far from universal. In the photos, note the big buttons that everyone is wearing. In addition to being useful as name tags, those are your tickets for riding busses and, even more importantly for many, your entry passes to the evening tent parties (beer included). In choosing clothes, don't wear a flimsy top that will be shredded by the button's weight.

Your class reunion organizers will probably have included some sort of wearing apparel in the package. One year class of '72 got sweat shirts, another year baseball caps. In 2002 we got fleece jackets with our class logo. You can see them in some of the photos. This is entirely at the option of the class. It helps pick out classmates in a multi-generational crowd.

You used to see a lot more special outfits. In the 1930's many of the classes, especially the women, decided that they would remove some of the social pressure imposed by the economy and define a class outfit that everyone could make and wear. No one could use the excuse for not coming of not being able to afford a ritzy outfit. The older the class, the more likely they are to continue this, but the class souveniers I mentioned are an echo of that tradition. Also, the older the class, the less inhibited they seem to be about wearing corny outfits, like red and white striped blazers, things that most of us wouldn't wear outside a hockey rink.

By the way, if you were in the band, bring your instrument. If you were in the Glee Club, bring your voice.

And repeating earlier advice, sample the events, but also take time to relax and wander around. Also, remember that you'll be in a dorm with shared facilities and all that implies about hauling around your soap, toothbrush, and so on.

Also, see if you can buttonhole someone and get a straight answer on possible changes at Lynah. We're expecting a full report on the whole affair. :)

-Dave Harding '72
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2004 11:16PM by David Harding.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.250.192.135.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 13, 2004 09:39PM

Awesome advice from everyone, thanks. Bringing a fan was definitely the best contribution.

I couldn't get any scoop on the future of Lynah, although I did have the fortunate opportunity to meet and talk with Coach Schafer.

Perhaps I can provide more detail about Reunion tomorrow or another day. Old timers like me need a few days to recuperate from such fun.

Date: June 14, 2004 07:39AM

Reunion was excellent. Our class did a great job planning. Seems like the others did, too. But mostly it's the weather. Four glorious days. Not too hot, not too humid, no rain -- a first ever for our class (1974) reunions. (A friend down the block ran the Princeton 20th last year and he nailed the planning and then got hosed by a weekend of consisent rainfall.) I was the one who recommended bringing a fan. It was so nice I didn't need it.

Unbelievable but U Halls are (is?) finally tumbling down. The replacement is far better looking. As to whether it's going to seamlessly blend with the original West Campus architecture ... what's the line about, A doctor can always plant his mistakes. An architect can only plant vines."

Lehman continues to amaze. All Cornell's recent previous presidents are (I'm exaggerating a bit) tall, patrician, distinguished, hint of British lilt, the kind central casting would send to play the president of Harvard in a made-for-TV movie. Now comes this bespectacled munchkin (at least in comparison) who when he steps to the podium has to pull the mikes down a good six inches ... but if you listen to his ideas and to his thoughtfulness in small group conversations, he is an amazing choice to run Cornell.

I went to the sports breakfast Sat at 8 am becuase the alternative was to sit in on a group discussion with Cornell faculty of Kafka's "The Trial," the common reading text give to all incoming freshman. Talk about deja vu all over again: A Saturday 8 am class covering a dry but important work you haven't yet read as of the night before. Sheesh.

I talked with Mike Schafer briefly. I mentioned how nice the Everblades tournament was for fans. He nodded and mentioned how it looks from the players' POV: You haven't been practicing much for a couple weeks, most players are home to see family for Christmas, then you get back to Ithaca, fly to Florida, and play a tournament against high-caliber competition. And here I was thinking the players got to spend a week in the sun before the tournament and what a great recruiting tool it has to be. I still say it beats playing a tourament in Syracuse. Especially when you win. No, I didn't ask him about the building plans.

Andy Noel a couple times mentioned that this is one of the best times ever for Cornell sports with back to back years of Cornell teams winning 7 followed by 7 Ivy championships, either unprcedented or rarely before matching in Cornell history.

Richie Moran is still part of the sports scene and he is still a bundle of energy. He's doing great things to develop Irish national lacrosse. He mentioned something I didn't know (I think he said this seriously, not tongue in cheek), that in the early 20th Century Ireland dropped emphasis on most any sport where the British also competed and now Ireland is trying to rebuild and create a new sports history. One of the things Lehman tells students among the seven things they should do while at Cornell is to spend an hour in the presence of sheer greatness. He was referring for instance to rare manuscripts in Olin Library (which now has the campus' hottest coffee bar - talk about branching out) but I think that can fairly be applied to someone like Moran and if he continues his current trajectory, Shafer.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2004 07:44AM by billhoward.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.236.135.206.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: June 18, 2004 11:26PM

To continue the "on-topic" news, I went by Lynah during reunion, Saturday PM. Three players were out front, pedaling on stationary bikes, enjoying the weather and flexing for women. I wandered into the locker room. The stereo was blasting some heavy metal music. I haven't been in there since Schafer took over, so I immediately noticed that every locker had a trophy won by past Cornell teams above it (including the ones that had been on display in the hockey office in the past). All needed shining however. I noticed that Knoepfli sits between Cam Abbott and Mark McCutcheon, both of whom I've heard are considered potential captains down the road. Many of the players had memorabilia from their past teams in their lockers.

Construction at Schoellkopf House ins underway, with asbestos removal signs everywhere (although Terry Cullen was hosting a Sprint Football reception in his office). Varsity football has temporarily relocated to the press box.

I heard that the freshman hockey class (now sophomores) is a very close group and will be working out together in Ithaca this summer. Pegoraro is still in Schafer's doghouse (I didn't get a specific reason, although he screwed up Schafer's plan to get some offense from the third line this past season). I heard about Mazz possibly leaving Harvard (old news now), and that the money in juniors is very good (compares favorably with top college programs).

Date: June 20, 2004 03:17PM

[Q] To continue the "on-topic" news, I went by Lynah during reunion, Saturday PM. Three players were out front, pedaling on stationary bikes, enjoying the weather and flexing for women. [/q]

Saw them, too. They looked in pretty good shape. I hope the women were impressed; I was, and they're not even my type.

I guess nowadays there is no true off-season for hockey, only a time when there aren't any games scheduled. I wonder if anyone from the sixties or seventies recalls players doing serious conditioning year-round.

Posted by: Greg (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: June 21, 2004 07:37AM

From talking to people of that era, the main conditioning at any point during the year consisted of the elbow bend.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: June 21, 2004 04:28PM

[Q]Greg Wrote:

From talking to people of that era, the main conditioning at any point during the year consisted of the elbow bend.[/q]

You mean the aluminum curl? :-)

Cheers,
Kyle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login