Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Interesting article on ideas for new Lynah

Posted by paulspen 
Interesting article on ideas for new Lynah
Posted by: paulspen (132.236.56.---)
Date: May 13, 2004 11:18AM

Re: Interesting article on ideas for new Lynah
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2004 11:22AM

[q]But, with the addition of the fabric roof, we were also able to give Lynah a big-dome feel.[/q]
Sounds hideous :-P

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: May 13, 2004 11:28AM

Because everytime I walk into Lynah, I can't help but think "I really wish this place was more like the Metrodome" rolleyes

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 13, 2004 11:42AM

Can't get the link to work right now, but from that quote... eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: May 13, 2004 01:27PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

But, with the addition of the fabric roof, we were also able to give Lynah a big-dome feel.[/Q]
Sounds hideous[/q]

This is students playing what-if for academic credit, without actually spending anyone's money (other than their parents') to build such a structure. The nice thing was the design parameter that the existing rink and seats remain. That's a kind of real world situation the students will deal with in their careers. Not everything gets built from scratch.

Article also says increasing capacity is a win-win because there'd be more seats and more revenue from those seats. Of course, there would also be more debt and some risk that the extra seats wouldn't sell out.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2004 02:32PM

However, there is no way in hell that you could get a building permit to double the size, without bringing it up to code. Too bad there wasn't a more limited mission with realistic goals. I sure hope if we get a fabric dome, we can AC it, unlike the Carrier Dome. Speaking of that, do you think they can change the name of the Carrier Dome now that Carrier has taken all production out of Syracuse?;-)

Date: May 13, 2004 02:56PM

OK, now that I've gotten the link to work and actually read the story I'm not feeling as eeewww'ed. I do think that a big dome feel is the absolute last thing you'd want at Lynah though. I really can't think of many good things to say about domes in general, but they would seem particularly out of place to me in a hockey rink.

Personally I'd hate to ever see the rafters go (replacing them with steel for structural reasons might be OK). They help give the place a small intimate feel. Plus, you need a place to hang all of the banners that's close to the action.

One thing the article doesn't mention is acoustics. I wonder if the students were asked to consider this in their design. The last thing you want is a roof concept that absorbs all of the sound and makes the thing.

Of course, there's no way they would double the seating capacity of Lynah because I guarantee you'd end up with lots of empty seats if you did. But this concept probably makes a better CivE project than adding 300 seats and new locker rooms.

Posted by: BigRedXwing (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2004 04:34PM

Just to clear a couple things up (and answer a few of your questions), I'm one of the students in Prof. Hover's CEE 474 class that did semester long projects on the renovation and expansion of Lynah Rink. I frequent elynah forums to read the articles but have never actually posted before.

There were 11 projects in total, and some of the projects had very creative, fresh ideas; it was a few of these that were picked out to be highlighted in the article because of their uniqueness (i.e. a clear roof or cloth roof was not the norm).
For the question above on acoustics, actually, most groups chose to use Tectum III roof deck panels which do help control acoustics.

I can only speak for my particular group's design, but a few key points from our design was:
-maintain the benches and ice rink as they currently stand
-added an upper deck level with stadium seating to both sides of the rink that added a total of 2,050 new seats
-added rows of corporate boxes the university was looking at adding for alumni and university donors (this would also free up section C to unite the student sections)
-we also took into account that the new life sciences building set to begin construction in 2005 that will sit on the athletic fields to the north of lynah rink is a Richard Meier '56 design and will be bright white in color (fabricated out of glass and white metal panels) so we specified an exterior of red brick in order to blend in well with the surroundings
-from a meeting with Mike Schafer '86 my group held, we incorporated some of his concerns into our renovation, mostly by drastically increasing the amount of space appropriated to locker rooms, training rooms, equipment rooms, and office space.

It's a shame the article doesn't go into more depth, but all projects were very impressive with the amount of detail and thought that went into all aspects of design for every group.

Date: May 13, 2004 06:36PM

Thanks for the background info. Sounds like you were pretty thorough, which I guess I would expect from a semester long design project. (Well, mine wasn't too thorough in M&AE, but that wasn't typical...)

IMNSHO, any renovation that seeks to improve the locker room and equipment facilties should try very hard to preserve the "character" of the visiting locker rooms... Keep 'em as uncomfortable as possible :-D

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2004 11:18PM

Thanks for the extra details. For the record, I think that the sentiment here is generally against "controlling the acoustics," unless that means concentrating the crowd noise onto the ice.:-D

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2004 12:30AM

or controlling the acoustics could mean preventing them from exiting or being absorbed. aren't there music people who know about amplifying sound thru design...or is that what he meant. anyway, just because people dont want an expansion does not mean thought for change shouldnt happen...

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: May 14, 2004 01:29AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Thanks for the background info. Sounds like you were pretty thorough, which I guess I would expect from a semester long design project. (Well, mine wasn't too thorough in M&AE, but that wasn't typical...)

IMNSHO, any renovation that seeks to improve the locker room and equipment facilties should try very hard to preserve the "character" of the visiting locker rooms... Keep 'em as uncomfortable as possible [/q]

I bet what Cornell is looking for is four (?) not terrible visiting locker rooms. Cornell hosts tournaments once in a while and while you don't want Clarkson to get too comfy before the Cornell game, you do want visiting HS teams to think better of Cornell. How many non-Cornell team locker rooms are there now, two?

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2004 05:58PM

I just stumbled across this so pardon the delay in posting this comment.

Given that this article was created and several key members of the administration that would be pivotal in any expansion were present for the presentations, it seems like this idea is being given more serious thought. Wasn't Schafer interviewed late last year or the year before and some of the questions concerned his desire to work on expanding the locker room facilities mainly?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2004 06:29PM

Haven't they thrown money at upgrading the lockerrooms about 5 times in the last 15 years? Sure seems like it.

Luxury boxes are a horrible idea. If a seating capacity renovation isn't cost-effective on its own merit, there is no point doing it.

I haven't seen a building built in the last 25 years that compares favorably to Lynah. Either (a) it's not possible given modern codes or (b) nobody's come up with any good ideas yet. But in either case, hopefully nothing will happen.

Posted by: Cant Say (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 08, 2004 08:21PM

some boxes, 300 seats, same roof, soon

Posted by: jy3 (---.buf.adelphia.n)
Date: June 09, 2004 04:58PM

[Q]Cant Say Wrote:

some boxes, 300 seats, same roof, soon[/q]

is this as an expansion adding seats to the current scoreboard end and building into the parking lot? i know u said u cant say but...
help

Posted by: Cant Say (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 09, 2004 08:52PM

yup B-]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login