Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

LP-Accommodations, etc.

Posted by Jim Hyla 
LP-Accommodations, etc.
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 11:38AM

Well, as they say, time to put this one behind us and on to next weekend. Isn't it sweet?

My family will be staying at the Best Western, as usual. I heard from the CHA this past weekend, that the Cornell coaches, family, CHA members etc. will be there in a block of 50 rooms. They told me that the number one seed gets its choice of hotels. The players are at the Olympic complex.

I assume there will be a get-together, but don't have any info.

So, who is going and where will you be staying?

I'll be skiing Whiteface Friday AM, and as usual have some two-for-one coupons, if anyone is interested. Just email me or call 315-446-8550.

The Bear will be there, in uniform, and on ice, so I'll bring the candy.

Re: LP-Accommodations, etc.
Posted by: melissa '01 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 12:47PM

judy and i are also staying at the best western - have had the reservartion since sept and it became non-refundable a few days ago. thank god cornell is going! hope we can all get togther. judy and i came up with what i think is a great sign. just have to find a way to make it.

do it now if...
Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 01:07PM

i suggest that anyone who has not made reservations do it ASAP!
would be fun to go. maybe next year :-)
do skeleton if u can! :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2002 01:51PM

We have reservations at the Carriage House Inn - across the street from the EconoLodge - reportedly about a mile from the rink. Booked too late to get any 'brand name' hotels. A group of 8 psyched Cornell undergrads!

I just have one question... I'm planning on buying tickets tomorrow at the Ticket Office in the Field House (or whatever they call that place now ;-) ). I assume the difference between buying them online (as legendary PA announcer Arthur kept saying) and at the office is that online you won't get the Cornell section? or is that not even true? If not, is there any difference?

Also, I'm planning on going up and buying 8 4-packs tomorrow... is there any limit? I don't think so since it's not really a Cornell run event, but if anyone knows if a single person is limited to 2, 4, etc, I'll be sure to bring someone with me if need be. Thanks.

2 down, 2 (or, uh, 6 B-] ) to go. See you all at the rink!

-DeltaOne81 '03, Fred

fans...
Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 02:37PM

i was thinking last night that this year u may not have as much of a problem choosing your section when u get tix or moving to the cornell section b/c only one north country team is in the tourney => less townies coming to the games. of course i might be wrong. have fun guys! nut

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.nas29.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 03:16PM

BTW, people may want to check out the Hitchhiker's guide to Lake Placid at [spiritone.com] It's still just a compilation of my experiences, which I mention as a way to goad Greg to add his and Anne's. ;-)

Date: March 10, 2002 03:23PM

John, I just happened to notice that last night. Funny and informative :) (loved the "skiers" line). They don't happen to let us measly under-21-ers into Mudpuddles, do they? even if we're not drinking? even if we're only a week short of being 21? :`(

And any info on LP ticket limits at the Athletic Office? anyone?

Posted by: Lake Placid Bound (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 05:34PM

Which hotel is closest to the famous rack...of ribs?

Posted by: REDhead (---.lightlink.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 05:35PM

No limits on tickets at the ticket office here, according to the orda ticket office staff.
The tix sold here will be Cornell section; online orda tickets won't be CU section until our ticket office sends back the unused portion.
I'll be on line (at the ticket office!) tomorrow too. What time do you think it will be good to show up?

Date: March 10, 2002 05:56PM

Ok, now you're scaring me :-/. I have a class at 10:10 which has a prelim the next day, so I wasn't planning on getting my ticket until at least my first break at noon. Maybe not until after I get off work at 3. I've heard tickets don't sell out (which you appear to agree with by the "unsold portion" remark). Do you (or anyone) think there's a major reason to get there early??? Bc otherwise I'll just get them later that day.

Date: March 10, 2002 08:21PM

Relax! ;) Is there a major reason to get there early? Probably not, I just have the time on Monday morning and would rather get a better than worser seat. I haven't gone to Placid before, and have really no idea whether the Faithful who are going are rabid enough to camp out early--or not. (Anyone have feedback on this?)
I don't think there's any chance at all you'd get shut out of seats, so come when it works for you!

Posted by: Sarli (---.25.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 09:03PM

A couple of years ago I went. We didn't have anyproblems getting tickets. Getting a room on the other hand, not so easy. In fact I think we picked up tickets later in the week, say on Wed. (possibly). But then again we were a 4 seed and not expected to win, as we are now.

As much as I'd like to see CU beat DC (ha! almost forgot they're not a University) to a pulp, I don't think I want to tempt fate. So go RPI, besides in 99 the RPI band was cool and helped us taunt Colgate.
Who did we decide we'd rather see harvard (susks) or clarkson (sucks too)?
I guess what we all need to ask ourselves is: Can I really bring myself to root for harvard (still sucks)?

anybody who goes early and gets tickets would you post where they are so that those of us calling the LP office know where to ask.

I called last week and they said they didn't know where they were putting Cornell. I asked well hypathetically IF Cornell were to make it, where would you put them? The office lady was unwilling to play along.

MSS '01

Date: March 10, 2002 09:10PM

<insert relaxed face here>

I guess just the mention of "camping out" scares me :). I absolutely love hockey, but I'm just not the kind of person who can or wants to dedicate a whole night to sleeping in the cold for tickets. The thought of a 'rush' at 10 AM (or before) just took me by surprise.

I knew I could get tickets, but I just didn't want to get... well, I dunno, it was a stupid thought nut

Anyway, I'll be glad to report back tomorrow afternoon if someone hasn't already. Otherwise, see you in line or in Placid!

Let's Go Red!

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Humongous Rack... of ribs
Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: March 11, 2002 09:34AM

St. Moritz is closest to the the infamous Humongous Rack... of Ribs restaurant. (The restaurant is named Cameron's)

8700 seats...
Date: March 11, 2002 09:41AM

8700 seats aren't gonna sell out.

UVM and SLU fans will stay home. Harvard will send all 3 of their fans. Other than RPI's band and Clarkson townies, we'll have the whole place to ourselves. (Unless rumors of DC actually having fans are true. This year they've had something like 3000-3500 fans at Thompson so we'll see if they know how to travel.)

Date: March 11, 2002 10:04AM

Cornell will be in section 11. There were about 20 people on line at 10 am.
We got seats 5 rows up from ice--I am so PSYCHED!!
LGR!!!!

Re: 8700 seats...
Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2002 10:22AM

I think you may be surprised by the turnout from the North Country. Its not a huge area population wise of course, but there will be a lot of NC folks who attend when even one team is there.

And lookout for that HUGE Harvard contingent! :-D

tix
Posted by: melissa (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: March 11, 2002 10:23AM

re tix - can only get fri and sat throgh tix office. can't get whole set. really big pain in the butt but at least we got cornell section for the other 2 nites. didn't ask where in the section they were. honestly don't care.....just happy that we got cornell section tix.

NC
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 10:38AM

And they'll bring their air horn, siren, bell, train whistle, washboard, etc....only way you'll hear 'em. help

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: March 11, 2002 12:43PM

Most of our rather large group is staying at the Woodlake Inn - not the most luxurious digs in town but close to the main strip, and the most fabulous cancellation policy in the universe. Many thanks to Mr. Dickerson for steering me to their website.

Beeeej

Re: tix
Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: March 11, 2002 02:24PM

At about 12:30, the Cornell ticket office only had about 20 sets of tickets left for Placid (out of about 400 received). The ones I got were all from section 11, spread around rows C, E, H, and J. But there should still be plenty available from the LP Box Office. Not sure where they'll be, though

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: March 11, 2002 02:40PM

About two hours ago, I called Lake Placid and got tickets for sections 10 and 12 on Thursday and Friday, respectively. On Saturday, I'll be in section 24, but I don't anticipate having difficulty moving across the arena.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 11, 2002 02:59PM

I went at around 12 and they were clearly starting to run out. Seems like there's been a bit of a line all day. I heard, uh, that guy (the AD? I dunno, I see him around all the time - the one who always makes the 'thank you' announcements at the ticket lines - no, not Schaefer :) ) make a comment on how they were selling "somewhat better than usual."

I got 8 tickets and had to get them in two sets of 4, sorta near but not right near each other (someone ahead of me got 18!). I would have confirmed the section 11 thing earlier, but it's already been posted a few times.

Sounds like it's gonna be quite a crowd.

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 11, 2002 03:28PM

I think they were down to about ten tickets for each game when Age and I were there, actually... and there were three people in line behind us. If they're not gone now, they're close.

My tickets are in section 11 row F on Friday night and section 11 row K on Saturday night.

Posted by: melissa (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: March 11, 2002 03:37PM

wow. i was gonna wait until this afternoon to call. damn glad i didn't. have no clue where my seats are and it doesn't really matter as long as they are in the cornell section- just hope that i'm not as close to the band as last year. no offence guys - i luv ya but there is such a thing as too close - just ask my ear drums! ;-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 03:51PM

> . On Saturday, I'll be in section 24, but I don't anticipate having difficulty moving across the arena.

There shouldn't be a problem moving. Every once in a while you run into somebody obnoxious who is hellbent on keeping their seat, but those are also the same type of people who will *not* enjoy sitting in front of the Cornell horns for 3 hours. ;-)

The field is:

Cornell -- midsized crowd
Clarkson -- very large
Harvard -- nobody
Dartmouth -- small
RPI -- varies, but will be large if they get to the final

Plus of course there's a good local walk-up. SLU people probably won't show up just to root against Clarkson, and UVM has been so bad all yearn that I doubt we'll see any of their (potentially huge) crowd.

The PIG is going to be a really sad crowd -- it always draws terribly anyway, and unless RPI really gets the word out the building is going to be about 70% empty.

Semi #1 is going to be a Clarkson home game. The Knights fans will file out pretty quick to either celebrate or drown their sorrows, so by the end of the first period of semi #2 the Cornell crowd *ought* to own the building. That is, if there are enough of us. The last couple trips to Placid have not seen much Cornell turnout by our usual standards.

Date: March 11, 2002 08:18PM

A lot of NC people...not Slu students...but NC locals...will be there rooting for Clarkson. Thats the way it is when even one NC team makes it.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (207.250.91.---)
Date: March 11, 2002 11:02PM

Given the experience of 2000, I have to agree with Rich about North Country locals pulling for both teams. This weekend's fan alliances should be interesting, since Cornell fans hate both of our fellow Ivy participants...

Adirondack wildlife. . .
Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2002 01:52AM

A word to the wise. . .my dad worked in Saranac Lake (and commuted from Rochester biweekly) for six years and he (as others on this board) has had his fair share of run-ins with the Adirondack Park wildlife. Deer, Moose, and a damn turkey to name the "big winners," yes. . .a turkey!!! The freakin' thing flew right up onto the windshield at about 55mph (he's really lucky to be here the damn thing weighted about 45lbs). . .bizarre is an understatement on that one! So, in short. . .if you have never made the drive, take it easy. The roads are in good shape and don't worry. . .the rink will still be there even if you're a little later than you had planned on. ;-) I hope every has a safe trip and we'll see y'all up there!:-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: March 12, 2002 01:05PM

I second the fauna warning. My parents hit a moose in the Adirondacks on their honeymoon. Their car was totalled. The moose just gave them a baleful, bored look and ambled off. That little east-west luge run you take from the Northway to Lake Placid can be a real pain in snowy weather -- don't rush. And you're not leaving this house in those clothes young lady!

Several of us will be staying at the Holiday Inn up on the hill, just a good butt-slide from the rink (and one very difficult hike from it). I have no idea where my real seats are -- I always buy early in the year and then move over.

John -- I will be bringing my digital camera on this trip, and I will travelogue it for TBRW, so stopya whinin'. I intend to get pictures of all the Faithful that I can, so everybody who isn't camera shy should play hunt-the-Lopatka-jersey.

Date: March 12, 2002 01:19PM

so everybody who isn't camera shy should play hunt-the-Lopatka-jersey

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds kinky?

Beeeej

Date: March 12, 2002 01:24PM

Jeffrey &quot;Beeeej&quot; Anbinder '94 wrote:

so everybody who isn't camera shy should play hunt-the-Lopatka-jersey

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds kinky?

Beeeej

I can just see the scene in the Saranac Lake ER:

"So tell me again how you got that wedged in there?"

Re: Sellout at LP
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 12, 2002 05:52PM

I booked my tickets thru ORDA Monday at noon. I had my choice of seats for Friday, but had less of a selection for Saturday. Both nights tho, I wound up in section 12 - right where I wanted to be.

The woman I spoke to said that they expect to sell out the lower ring for Saturday, but there will still be plenty of upper seats. Friday should not be a problem. So knowing that nobody except @#$% Clarkson fans sit in their assigned seats, it should be no problem to get in and sit near the CU section both nights.

LGR!!!

Date: March 12, 2002 06:02PM

Excuse me!!??

rolleyes

Date: March 12, 2002 06:15PM

In the past, Cornell fans have had difficulty with Clarkson fans insisting that: "this is the seat on my ticket and even almighty god couldn't make me move from this seat not matter how politely you might ask me regardless of how many other empty seats are available in the rink 'cause this in the seat number listed on my ticket thank you very much"

This was particularly a problem in 2000 with the Play-in game ticket assignments. Some of us wanted to stand in our seats, directly in front of the Cornell band in the corner. A few scattered Clarkson fans right behind us bitched to high heaven about us blocking their view. We offered to swap seats with them, but no deal.

While I do understand that it is rude to stand in front of someone who wants to sit, I also don't understand a) why they couldn't just swap seats and move forward 2 rows, and b) who for the love of god would choose to sit directly in front of the Big Red Pep Band in an arena that was only 20% full.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2002 11:19PM

Ohhh, look out!!! Someone may have disparaged the Clarkson program indirectly !!!! Have no fear, our hero RichS has super senses on every online forum to detect such a tragedy, and has swooped on the scene within 10 minutes. Hooray for RichS!! Defender of all things Clarkson at all costs!! Even if it's true.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 11:53AM

I just got LP tickets this morning (Wednesday), and they only had behind the goals or Harvard section for Friday, and only Harvard section or bleachers (hmm not a tough choice... I can handle that kind of altitude) for Saturday.

What I enjoyed the most, though, was the woman saying -- "Harvard didn't managed to sell many of their tickets." :-) Gosh, really?

See y'all in LP.

lgr!

sober folks
Posted by: Hooligan (128.253.238.---)
Date: March 13, 2002 12:06PM

hey all
is there anyone out there who will be partying, but not drinking this weekend? Unfortuently, my lodgings are all the way out at the Adirondack Loj, about 6miles out. And i would particularly like to party, especially when we win on sat, however 6 miles is VERY far to walk even for a Cornellian. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: sober folks
Date: March 13, 2002 12:10PM

I will not be drinking, but I can't promise you any rides.

Beeeej

Re: sober folks
Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2002 01:36PM

I too will not be drinking and also can't promise any rides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login