Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[LAX] Cornell is 7 seed

Posted by Tub(a) 
[LAX] Cornell is 7 seed
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 10, 2004 03:37PM

Cornell v. Hobart this Sunday (here at Cornell).

They are also in the Cornell Quarterfinal bracket.

Seems like a great draw for CU :)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2004 03:57PM by Tub(a).

Re: [LAX] Cornell is 7 seed
Posted by: min (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: May 10, 2004 03:59PM

will this game be televised at all?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.cust.uslec.net)
Date: May 10, 2004 03:59PM

Grant,
Can you post the full bracket? Who would be the quarterfinal opponent?

It's nice that Cornell got to be a) at home and b) not on grass somewhere.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.goosck01.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2004 04:06PM

Going straight down off the bracket:

(1) Hopkins
Providence
        (winners meet @ UVa)
Ohio State
(8) UNC

(5) Georgetown
Towson
        (winners meet @ Cornell)
Albany
(4) Syracuse

(3) Maryland
Army
       (winners meet @ UVa)
Rutgers
(6) Princeton

(7) Cornell
Hobart
        (winners meet @ Cornell)
Penn
(2) Navy

in PDF form: [images.sportsline.com]

If Cornell advances Navy likely comes to Ithaca.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2004 04:08PM by kingpin248.

Posted by: JasonN95 (38.117.186.---)
Date: May 10, 2004 04:07PM

Details available here:
[sports.espn.go.com]

Bracket info cut-n-pasted:

First Round

Saturday, May 15
Providence (9-7) at (1) Johns Hopkins (11-1)
Ohio State (12-3) at (8) North Carolina (9-4)
Army (10-4) at (3) Maryland (12-2)
Rutgers (8-5) at (6) Princeton (9-3)

Sunday, May 16
Towson (11-4) at (5) Georgetown (10-3)
Albany (10-5) at (4) Syracuse (11-2)
Hobart (9-6) at (7) Cornell (8-4)
Penn (7-6) at (2) Navy (12-2)

Quarterfinals

Saturday, May 22
At Charlottesville, Va.
Johns Hopkins-Providence winner vs. Ohio State-North Carolina winner
Maryland-Army winner vs. Rutgers-Princeton winner

Sunday, May 23
At Ithaca, N.Y.
Georgetown-Townson winner vs. Albany-Syracuse winner
Cornell-Hobart winner vs. Penn-Navy

Semifinals
Saturday, May 29
M&T Bank Stadium
At Baltimore

Game 1, 11:30 a.m. (ESPN2)
Game 2, 2 p.m. (ESPN2)

Championship
Saturday, May 29
M&T Bank Stadium
At Baltimore
ESPN, 2:30 p.m.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.cust.uslec.net)
Date: May 10, 2004 04:11PM

Thank you both. They don't let me view "sports" at work. Luckily eLF is a "cultural institution" by web filtering standards...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 10, 2004 04:19PM

[q]It's nice that Cornell got to be a) at home and b) not on grass somewhere. [/q]Can someone briefly explain to the lacrosse ignorant (me) the difference that grass vs. turf makes?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.focaldata.net)
Date: May 10, 2004 05:22PM

Anyone think the canceled Cornell-UNC game would have has an impact?

Posted by: JasonN95 (38.117.186.---)
Date: May 10, 2004 05:26PM

Not a lax expert by any stretch, but I believe it makes a big difference for bounce shots on net (both for your goalie's reactions and your shooter's accuracy) and scooping up ground balls. I image players grow accustomed to (and better when on) their "native" surface.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: May 10, 2004 05:58PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

Cornell v. Hobart this Sunday (here at Cornell).

They are also in the Cornell Quarterfinal bracket.

Seems like a great draw for CU [/q]

To me, the seeding committee said, "Cornell, you think the Hobart game could have gone either way, okay, here's the chance to prove it to the world. On your home turf. Now, you damn well better win and then pack the house next week when you host the quarterfinals."

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.nbc.com)
Date: May 10, 2004 06:11PM

Also, I believe that the game is much faster on turf than on grass....

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: May 10, 2004 06:54PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

It's nice that Cornell got to be a) at home and b) not on grass somewhere. [/Q]
Can someone briefly explain to the lacrosse ignorant (me) the difference that grass vs. turf makes?[/q]

Balls bounce truer on shots off artificial turf, which is good because they go where you (shooter) want and bad because the goalie can track where they go (even if he can't get his stick there in time). No clump of dirt will make the bounce go at an off angle, which is a killer for the goalie the way a deflection shot is tough on a hockey goalie. I don't know if players try more bounce shots on artificial turf than on regular fields but I'd guess yes because it's still harder to handle a bounce shot than a straight-on shot.

(The first time Virginia (?) saw Cornell's field in the 1970s for a playoff game, the Cavaliers tried bounce passes in practice. I don't think it ever caught on in games.)

Ground balls travel faster. They don't get slowed down by the grass blades. A shot that goes past the cage and hits the ground may get out of bounds fractionally faster, meaning there's an advantage to a team with well-positioned man behind the cage, or faster runners.

Scooping up ground balls is easier if you're the first one to the ball.

Precision players can pivot faster including in the rain.

The field is hotter on a hot day.

There's better footing in the rain.

It hurts like hell getting exposed skin rubbed on artificial turf.

There's the potential for more knee injuries because when you're hit hard from the side, your foot is more likely to stay in contact with the surface. (Long term in the past, the people who played on artificial turf seemed to suffer more injuries. Newer fields are better cushioned and the surface is more grasslike.)

Artificial turf is good for Cornell and Syracuse and Princeton because you have a decent field to practice on earlier in the year. Artificial turf is good for land-locked colleges (who isn't?) becaue one field can be used for practice and play by several sports, men and women both, if they want. (Princeton's Class of 1952 field is the prime example.) I think natural grass fields may be the province of the pros and big time colleges. Artificial turf is cheaper on upkeep once it's installed.

There must be more reasons.

Funny thing about terminology. "Artificial turf" is often shortened now to "turf" or "turf field." You almost have to say "natural grass" or "natural grass turf" to distinguish. Thus you wind up with retronyms (you have to say corded drill because there now are cordless drills. William Safire in On Language once bitched about having to say English language radio to distinguish from the stuff he perhaps did not want to listen to on the radio.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2004 07:44PM

[Q]JasonN95 Wrote:
Semifinals
Saturday, May 29

Game 1, 11:30 a.m. (ESPN2)
Game 2, 2 p.m. (ESPN2)

Championship
Saturday, May 29
ESPN, 2:30 p.m.
[/q]Not a lotta rest for the winner of the second quarterfinal. nut

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2004 10:05PM

Perhaps he was projecting the schedule a Cornell senior lacrosse player might want for the playoffs - helping his team to a national title and not missing commencement. Which begs several questions:

1. If you were a player, would you rather win the NCAA title or attend your graduation?
2. If you were a coach, if you could, would you let a student come back to Cornell on the Sunday for graduation to then go back to Baltimore?
3. If you were a player and your coach let you come back, would you still stay with the team?

For Bill-

Thanks for the artificial turf vs. natural grass differences some of which are not that obvious. In reading them, it would seem that in comparison to other sports played on both surfaces such as football, baseball, soccer, there are more factors that might come into play in lacrosse. My experience with lacrosse fields is limited to several Ivy fields all with turf - how many teams still play on natural grass and given the differences, why might a program stick with natural grass?

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2004 10:24PM

what are the times for the games for the first round? too bad my graduation up in syracuse starts with waiting in line for an hour. anyone know what radio station the game will be on and if i will be able to listen to it in 'cuse?
i guess it is good that if cornell makes it to the second round they will play sunday = more parking for people coming to my wedding at sage saturday :) at least i assume the other schools wont draw as well as cornell would nut
let's go red!

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.music.cornell.edu)
Date: May 10, 2004 10:26PM

According to [www.hws.edu] the game is "tentatively scheduled" for 1pm.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 10, 2004 10:30PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

Also, I believe that the game is much faster on turf than on grass....[/q]

*Much* faster...

Also, on turf, ground balls and deflected shots tend to roll out of bounds whereas they tended to stay in bounds on grass. This changes the tempo of the game from behind the cage in that you end of with a live ball unsettled situation rather than a deadball set offense.

As a long stick, I'm not sure which I prefer: getting smoked on a ground ball I was too lazy to chase after a shot or getting beat from X on an iso... :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2004 10:36PM by jeh25.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 10, 2004 10:57PM

Any word on TV coverage of the NCAAs? Or whether Hobart has a free radio webcast?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2004 09:00AM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

Anyone think the canceled Cornell-UNC game would have has an impact?[/q]

The seeding committee says it doesn't count losses, just wins against the top five, top ten, etcetera team. I believe that, part way. I think it's always human nature to look at the team's W-L record. (Also note that you can't get in with a sub-.500 record, something that did in Virginia. Note Virginia is only the second defending champ not to make the playoffs next year. We did it (didn't do it) in 1972.) Cornell is historically a slow-starting team (maybe all northern teams are because of the weather?) and playing UNC early on, the week after George Boiardi's death, would have been an unlikely time to get another win.

As it turns out, Cornell got a sweet draw that couldn't get much better. OK, maybe a higher ranking would have us avoiding #2 Navy in the quarterfinals. But still: Home field advantage against the team we lost to narrowly on *their* field, then getting the home field for the quarterfinals if we advance, to play (quite possibly), the team Hobart only lost to by one goal.

(Not to be a pessimist but ...) in this season, making it to the Final Four would be an incredible accomplishment, and the seeding committee didn't hurt our chances any. And remember, a miracle happened 15 years ago (er, 16), when we made it to the title game. We're due again.

And maybe Princeton can do great things in its bracket. I would love to see two Ivy schools in the final four. the last couple years with the finals in Baltimore area, there's been a resurrection of the BS about the South being the home of quality lacrosse and quality fans. Ignoring the fact that from 1992 on, it's been Yankee schools winning every year but two.

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: May 11, 2004 12:07PM

I suspect the seeding committee was more concerned with packing the house on the 23rd. With Syracuse in one game (almost a certainty) and either Cornell or Hobart in the other, they've done all they can to maximize the revenues.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.focaldata.net)
Date: May 11, 2004 01:25PM

I was also thinking it would have done something for UNC although hosting the first round and playing at UVA is the best they could get anyway. Perhaps if they had beat Cornell they wouldn't be looking at Hopkins in the second round.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login