Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Goalie Recruit

Posted by froboymitch 
Goalie Recruit
Posted by: froboymitch (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 19, 2004 07:02PM

I found out today that Schafer will be bringing a goalie recruit in for next year. One of my buddies on the team told me this, but they don't know who yet.

Re: Goalie Recruit
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 19, 2004 07:28PM

I don't think anybody is surprised by this -- Mike wants to carry three and a few guys had already passed up Cornell for other schools. Let us know when you know who.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 19, 2004 07:39PM

Gah, and here I thought this was actual news about a new goalie recruit. :-/

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: April 20, 2004 09:59AM

I don't know who it is yet but I did hear that it is someone who is expected to play, probably in tandem with McKee.

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: April 20, 2004 11:15AM

i feel sorry for chabot. i know this has been discussed to death, but is he REALLY that bad? is it his work ethics, or his skill?

Date: April 20, 2004 11:28AM

It may simply be the numbers game. McKee's numbers were superb, and it's almost certainly his job to lose. Given that, it's logical to bring in a young backup, rather than go with an older backup and leave the team vulnerable if McKee were to go elsewhere.

I don't think it's anything against Louis, and you never know, he might get his share of ice time next year if the other goalies falter.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2004 02:56PM

I'd like to see Chabot play, just.... to see him play. Put him in the exhibition game or something. I mean nobody really knows anything about him, do they? Is he any good at all?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 20, 2004 04:31PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

I'd like to see Chabot play, just.... to see him play. Put him in the exhibition game or something. I mean nobody really knows anything about him, do they? Is he any good at all?[/q]

I've only seen him play in the most recent Red-White game, alongside McKee and Marr (the three all split time between the two goals). It was clear to me that Chabot was the worst of the three goalies at the time; it was at that time that I became very impressed with McKee.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2004 05:54PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:
I'd like to see Chabot play, just.... to see him play. Put him in the exhibition game or something. I mean nobody really knows anything about him, do they? Is he any good at all?[/q]Well, to be fair, while *we* don't know a whole lot about Chabot, I'd imagine Schafer knows plenty.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2004 07:36PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:
I'd like to see Chabot play, just.... to see him play. Put him in the exhibition game or something. I mean nobody really knows anything about him, do they? Is he any good at all?[/Q]
Well, to be fair, while *we* don't know a whole lot about Chabot, I'd imagine Schafer knows plenty.
[/q]
Well, obviously. But for my own sick voyeuristic purposes I'd like to see what's so wrong with him. :-}

Date: April 20, 2004 08:17PM

You want a Wayne Skelton Moment: [members.cox.net]

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: April 20, 2004 08:57PM

IIRC, Chabot was 25-1 the year before he came to Cornell. I don't know anything about the team that surrounded him or the caliber of the competition playing against him. But, a 25-1 record, suggests that he was a winner.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2004 01:18AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

You want a Wayne Skelton Moment: [members.cox.net][/q]I suppose after that game McCutcheon had him shot and dumped into Beebe Lake.

Or is "Skelton" a fake, created solely to make the Skazyk years seem OK?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: April 21, 2004 05:08AM

Chris Heisenberg is showing that Cornell has recruited Troy Davenport a goalie for Green Bay in the USHL, 5'8 165 1-5-85.

(And on 1/5/85 RPI beat Dartmouth 5-2 for its 9th consecutive win in what became a 30-game winning streak that season and a 38-game unbeaten streak over two years. :-P )

Edit: Green Bay's site states that he is 6'-1" 170 lb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2004 05:13AM by ursaminor.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2004 06:38AM

Pointstreak shows he's 5'10'' and 150 lbs. Somewhat of a discrepancy.

[www.pointstreak.com]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 21, 2004 07:13AM

Bâby's Junior team.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2004 10:06AM

Hey, with Vesce gone, Davenport could even help out our offense! Check this out...

[www.pointstreak.com]

(For those too lazy to look, he scored an empty net goal for Green Bay in their third game of the season.) :-)

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2004 10:13AM

A little more about Davenport, who's an Inver Grove Heights, MN native :

From the Green Bay Gazette -

"This past offseason, they acquired goalie Chris Holt, who was expected to provide the team with experience after Green Bay struggled with consistency at the position last year.

But Holt left a year early for the University of Nebraska-Omaha, leaving the team in a bind. The Gamblers turned to rookie Troy Davenport, who was thrust into a starting role despite coming directly from high school.

“Losing a goaltender a week before the season was tough,” Osiecki said. “I think overall Troy did a good job, but it was a roller coaster. Any time you take a goaltender that is in his first year, it is going to be a struggle. To put a full load on Davenport like we did was a lot to ask.”

Davenport improved as the year went on, finishing with a 24-19-3 record and allowing 2.72 goals a game. As with any young goalie, though, Davenport went through stretches — including in the season’s final week when he was pulled from two games — during which he struggled with both the mental and physical part of the game.

He has not decided if he will return to the Gamblers next season, which means the team may find itself in the same predicament as last season."

Also, the Gamblers official site has him at 6'1'', 170 lbs.

Also, his save percentage of .913 came from facing an average of 31 shots per 60 minutes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2004 10:37AM by Avash '05.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: April 21, 2004 10:57AM

apparently Goalies' World Magazine has some sort of crazy ranking system, based on "how dominant a goalie has been in a league." So a goalie w/ a high SV% who doesn't play many games wouldn't have a terribly high ranking. Davenport made the top 5 in almost every month that they have online (top 5 for the ushl, that is).

[www.goaliesworld.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2004 11:12AM by pfibiger.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 21, 2004 01:50PM

Well it seems as if he has upside, an upside that the coaching staff think certainly exceeds Chabot's. Coming into really a no pressure, nothing to lose situation for him (with McKee clearly the #1), he could really bloom.

Posted by: connor (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2004 07:51PM

their is no way in hell a freshman goalie is going to start over mckee. if mckee came before leneveu we would think he was unbeleivable. his league numbers this year were very close to leneveu's. i would be amazed if a freshman syarted over McKee.
GAA SV%
McKee 1.37 .939
Leneveu 1.15 .940
leneveu as a freshman 1.54 .930

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 21, 2004 08:04PM

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Schafer platoon a little early in the season. He has shown a willingness to do this in the past. McKee has certainly shown that he can carry the load, but if you don't get your backup any time in net you're in trouble if the starter gets injured later in the season.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2004 10:05PM

Evan Salmela played for Green Bay two years ago, before moving the Chicago Freeze for last season.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2004 06:33AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Schafer platoon a little early in the season. He has shown a willingness to do this in the past. McKee has certainly shown that he can carry the load, but if you don't get your backup any time in net you're in trouble if the starter gets injured later in the season.[/q]

Yep. LeNeveu platooned with Underhill his freshman year, and I still think Marr would have platooned with McKee if he hadn't got hurt/sick.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: April 22, 2004 09:33AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Schafer platoon a little early in the season. He has shown a willingness to do this in the past. McKee has certainly shown that he can carry the load, but if you don't get your backup any time in net you're in trouble if the starter gets injured later in the season.[/q]

It all about hard work and performance. Coach will play his #1 goalie. If they're equals (or close) expect tandem goalies until there is a notable difference. If Davenport outshines McKee expect McKee to be watching the action from the bench.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login